Start by marking “Raised in Captivity: Fictional Nonfiction” as Want to Read:
Raised in Captivity: Fictional Nonfiction

Raised in Captivity: Fictional Nonfiction

Microdoses of the straight dope, stories so true they had to be wrapped in fiction for our own protection, from the best-selling author of But What if We're Wrong?

A man flying first class discovers a puma in the lavatory. A new coach of a small-town Oklahoma high school football team installs an offense comprised of only one, very special, play. A man explains to the polic
Published July 16th 2019 by Penguin Press

To ask other readers questions about Raised in Captivity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raised in Captivity

Meike
Jul 14, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: usa
...will I join the weirdo gang of Klosterman aficionados? Let's find out!
Jillian Doherty
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly effortless; if you love Chuck Klosterman - and you should :) you'll love this too!
Fresh, smart, and subjective as the author himself.

I could easily imagine each story continuing, growing, and developing as he naturally does - but I was equally content as well, which felt even better when reflecting on each story.

These rich, thoughtful, and immersive pieces are for fans of his early work, as well as new fans of intelligently witty writing.

Galley borrowed from the publisher.
Lorri Steinbacher
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like stories that are quirky and odd but strangely relatable nonetheless, you will find everything you’re looking for. If you’re a Klosterman fan, this is peak Klosterman, you will find everything you’re looking for.

The stories make you laugh out loud and also think, but without all that postmodernism or some other MFA nonsense that you often have to wade through in a lot of short story collections.

Full disclosure: I skipped the sports-ish one.
Justin Brendel
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
3.5 rounded up to 4. Thank you Netgalley for the ARC!

Chuck has the ability to weave little pieces of compelling writing that I have admired for a while now. I was hooked the first time I read "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs." There are elements of modern politics and world topics, which brings the nonfiction of the "fictional nonfiction." Each short story has great characters, plenty of musical references, and lots of Minnesota locales. Stories range from discussing that JFK knew he was going to be
John Lamb
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure: I received an ARC from Penguin House.

Each story in this collection is a brief exploration of something philosophical or thought-provoking. Some examples: A football coach who begins the season with lectures on Kierkegaard; a band is flummoxed when their innocuous power ballad becomes a white supremacist favorite; a new procedure allows pain to be transferred to the husband. You will be reminded of Etgar Keret or maybe even the films of Yorgos Lanthimos, although Kolsterman's distinct
Martin
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Penguin Random House for the ARC; Engaging and enjoyable short stories including some that are dystopian in nature and some that are theater of the absurd.
Desiree
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is unlike any other book I’ve read, it’s truly remarkable. The author describes it as fictional nonfiction; it’s essentially a book of hilariously well-written, kind of weird short stories that are so smart they’ll make you feel stupid.
I enjoyed reading this book. It’s light hearted enough not to keep you awake at night but every story finishes in a way that’s almost a cliff hanger or just has no ending whatsoever. If you’re like me, you’ll sit there and think about it for half an hou
Desiree
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Chris
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very interesting collection of short stories. Each story rang a bell of recognition with me, with some being more gripping/satisfying than others. Some were dull, others had me cracking up, but all of them are weird. My initial curiosity with the term "fictional nonfiction" compelled me to request a copy of this book and I'm glad I did. I'll be interested to see where we place this in my library's catalog, as these stories are clearly works of fiction. However, so many of them have there feet ...more
J.D. DeHart
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I learned I was approved to read Chuck Klosterman's book, I devoured it quickly. I have been reading Klosterman's work for years now and always find something new in his observations. I have enjoyed many of his nonfiction titles. What Raised in Captivity offers is the author's wit and observation, wrapped in a fictional confection.

The result is as amusing, witty, and thought-provoking as any book I have read by this author. Each chapter works as its own relatively brief vignette. It's enter
Daniel
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I have read all of Chuck Klosterman's nonfiction books and was totally excited when I found out I had won an advanced copy! I was intrigued to see how "fictional nonfiction" was going to play out and found it worked well. Each story is brief and left you thinking about some relevant current topic or trend and how it could get twisted through the right conditions. I dont know if he would ever be interested but these short stories would be great as a series on television to the likes of black mirr ...more
Dunstan McNutt
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
In true Klosterman form, this book works not only as a great collection of stories, but also as a conversation starter. The stories in here that I absolutely love (“Toxic Actuality”, “The Enemy Within”, and “I Get it Now”, to name a few) manage to capture the absurdity of our current moment without being dismissive or making fun of it in a broad way. Full disclosure, the nice folks at Penguin gave me an advance copy.
Delany Holcomb
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Klosterman retains his wit and absolute ingenuity in all of the stories he has presented us with in "Raised in Captivity". Filled to the brim with stories that just have to be fiction, every tale completely immerses the reader and leaves them feeling that their appetite has been whetted in the most satisfying way possible. You definitely don't want to miss "Raised in Captivity", it's impossible to put down.
Jennifer M.
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Strange, quirky, laugh out loud funny, and straight-up bananas are the words I would use to describe Raised in Captivity. Klosterman does a great job of keeping this book interesting and bizarre, but not to the point that you want to quit reading. It's filled with one-off stories told in a unique manner. One story in particular, with a man who is sitting in a park watching children play, is especially telling.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book.
Annarella
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's the first book I read by this authors and I'm glad I got this ARC because it was a happy discovery.
This collections of short stories is well written and full of food for thought.
Some stories are a bit dull but all are engaging and entertaining.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Jacob Garvin
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best Klosterman book to date. Think of his list of hypotheticals, only a little more thorough and flushed out. I did not want these short stories to end and I found myself purposefully stalling in order to deeply savor the next work. That’s precisely what I’m doing right now—stalling before enjoying more klosterman goodness. I LOVE THIS BOOK. I would also love to hear him read it.
Stella
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well....add another Klosterman book on my "oh god, he is the best' shelf. Right next to all his other books.

It's weird. It's funny (I legitimately LOL'd a few times.) It's smart.

It's pure Chuck Klosterman.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and Chuck Klosterman for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Perry
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
These very short stories range from mildly amusing to mildly annoying. They felt like writing exercises mainly without a real point. Some felt like jokes that were over-explained, and others were thoughts that should have remained fleeting.
Amy
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved these short stories however they are definitely require some thinking on the reader's part...be forewarned!

I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway but the opinions expressed are solely my own.
Shalyn
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
These were delightfully strange little short stories. Some had a plot twist, some had a poignant message, others were just odd. I've actually never read Klosterman but thought this ARC was a good start and I now see what all the fuss was about. I enjoyed this one quite a bit.
Dana
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I expected from Chuck Klosterman: weird and wonderful. Short stories that are completely immersive and smart! Perfectly entertaining and wonderful as always!
Brian Durance
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfectly entertaining
D
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A few stories had me cracking up. I had no idea what the author was trying to say with another few. All stories were weird.
Nicholas Briggs
Jun 29, 2019
Dave402
Jun 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Charles John "Chuck" Klosterman is an American pop-culture journalist, critic, humorist, and essayist. He was raised on a farm near Wyndmere, North Dakota and graduated from the University of North Dakota in 1994. After college he was a journalist in Fargo, North Dakota and later an arts critic for the Akron Beacon Journal in Akron, Ohio, before moving to New York City in 2002.