Start by marking “The Delivery of Flesh (Bulletproof Witch, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Delivery of Flesh (Bulletproof Witch, #1)

The Delivery of Flesh

(Bulletproof Witch #1)

Temperance Whiteoak is the last surviving heir to her grandfather’s legacy. Gunslinger. Daemon-hunter. Witch. Able to call forth powerful magicks with the pull of a trigger. With her faithful talking horse Astor, she travels across Korvana, searching for the daemon that killed her family and destroyed her town.

Just a few weeks onto the trail, not everything is going as pla
Published January 12th 2019 by Lily & Rose Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Delivery of Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Delivery of Flesh

Start your review of The Delivery of Flesh (Bulletproof Witch, #1)
Ying
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: would-recommend
Had a surprising amount of fun reading this book.

I think it's a really good debut novel(la). The author has a good understanding of worldbuilding, and was able to not only craft an interesting world for this novel, but also reveal things about the universe without it feeling (too) forced.* I'm excited to read more about this world in subsequent novels.

The magic system is fun, and pretty unique. I don't think I've read a book with a similar concept. I'm a huge fan of the super-competant lady in
Eric Gaston
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. It was fun, the characters were likable, and there was a good bit of action. It was well written and had a good flow (which is not always something you get in a debut work). I’m looking forward to reading more in the series.
Hannah
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: desert, fantasy, self-pub
I try to be generous with my ratings for self-published books, but this is still only 3 stars. It's competently written, but the pacing felt off. This has nothing to do with the length of the book (straddling novella, novel, and serial installation at 100 pages with additional "episodes" planned). Even when the MC is literally hanging off a rope bridge in the middle of the desert (yes, pretty much every scene is that clichéd/tropey), there is no sense of urgency. There is, however, an illustrati ...more
Eli Steele
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Temperance is a fun character with plenty of room to grow in this exciting series. The action is snappy, the world is engrossing, and the magic is unique and interesting. Looking forward to the next episode!
Carrie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5. As an indie fantasy writer, I love to find other indie fantasy writers who are new to me. I can't quite remember how I came across this novella, but I'm certainly glad I did! This is a fun, quick read with an interesting world and shades of Wynonna Earp. It's about Temperance Whiteoak, whose grandfather was the first Pistol Warlock, people who can make and use hex bullets. Now, though, the Pistol Warlocks are lawmen, and Temperance isn't interested in that nearly as much as she's interested ...more
Dennis
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short but sweet

Well written and a world that is thought out. Wish it was longer so I can learn more but I guess I'll just have to wait for the second one.
Becki Etherton
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
An exciting start to the series! Cowboys, daemons and sorcerers, what more could a girl ask for?
Sibil
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is short, and it's more a novella than a "proper" book, and, in some ways, it's a shame, because the idea behind all of it is really good, but this is too short and the author didn't manage to develop all things properly (obviously).
I loved the world-building, all the witchcraft with the bullets was great and original, and I would have loved to see more of it because it has merits. A ton of them. And it's set in the Far West, so that was cool, too!
And then we have the characters. They were
Filip
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this novella in return for an honest review. The Delivery of Flesh releases 12/01/2019 (that's January 12th for our American readers).

You know wot I like? Flintlock, that’s wot!

My experience with the flintlock fantasy subgenre is limited mostly to Brian McLellan’s excellent Powder Mage universe, which has a very European feel to it, what with crowds of citizens screaming revolution-bloody-revolution, military coups, and countries waiting to pounce on their n
Marco Tosolini
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this book through the TBRindR-service which means I got it for free which means nothing as I still say whatever the fuck I want.
So this one is on the shorter side (given as it’s a novella) and for the length it feels like the opening to something like Supernatural or the X-Files.
Bulletproof Witch as the title suggests and the cover confirms is a supernatural western, you’ve got demons, magical bullets and sorcerers in the Wild West (or a fantasy version of it anyway)
As it’s the first in a
Mervi
The novella has six black and white interior drawings which reflect the mood very well.

Temperance Whiteoak is the granddaughter of a famous pistol warlock James ”Brimstone” Whiteoak. However, after her family was killed, she doesn't advertise her connections. She's a bounty hunter, hunting daemons. Now, she's on the trail of Belial, a powerful daemon. She wants both information from him and the bounty. But when she hunts him down, she must fight him and gets very little info for her trouble. Whe
Set Sytes
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's no secret, weird westerns are mighty thin on the ground. I believe any writer of such a genre should stick together at least somewhat (with perhaps the odd pistol-cockin' betrayal and horse thievery to spice things up). So it was my solemn no good duty to read this fella Francis's first novel and see just how much hammer fanning, tobacco spitting and dust kickin' it included.

As it turns out, The Delivery of Flesh is highly enjoyable, and not only because it occupies such a bereft genre. It
Aadria
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tons of fun, well worth a read

This was an excellently fun Western-style fantasy. My first note after beginning the book was “Wild, wild west with daemon-hunting witch and talking horse, love it already”. And I continued loving it throughout. The book is pretty short, which makes it a very quick read. It is a self-contained “episode”, but more books in the series are on the way and there is an grander unresolved plot line that (I assume) will be continued throughout the series. The characters wer
Eric
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of weird westerns
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It is short, at 150 pages, but does a good job setting up the series as a whole while having a story of its own.

The downside of the length is that the many roles the story has to fill leave it lacking in a certain depth. Between establishing the basics of the world and countries, Temperance's back story, a bit about her grandfather, and the main "quest" bit there's not time to dive too deeply into anything. For me personally it left me curious, but some readers m
Paul
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shoot outs, magic, and a setting that is straight out of Red Dead Redemption, Bulletproof Witch is definitely a fun little story. The author sets up an interesting relationship between Temperance and Marshal Schrimshaw. He has Federation Law to follow and Temperance is willing to kill anything that gets in her way… There may need to be a bit of a compromise.

Blair leaves a lot of room for growth and further adventures as Temperance’s backstory is far from being fully revealed. Check this one out
Eva
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the premise of this story. I think it could go on to really great things.
I would really love to see a more in-depth world with more focus on the magic system (focused on her grandfather's story would be so cool). I'm really interested to see where the story goes next and to find out more about this world.
All in all it was a solid read but could use more dimension in terms of character development and world building. The relationships felt very convenient at times but I still liked the w
Emile
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for a good cover. This one got my attention in a bad way. I wasn't going to buy another ebook, no, no way. This image haunted me, though. I had to know what it was about. The juxtaposition of magic and witches in the wild west sold me, without a doubt. I'm very glad I bought this book and took this ride. I couldn't not read most of the characters with a twangy voice.
While the storyline is a bit cliche, even for a western, the characters, the lore, and the magic really made it worth
Tristan
This short novella caught my eye as it is an example of a genre hitherto unknown to me: the fantasy western mashup. Both elements, the fantasy and the western, are somewhat lightweight and don’t bring much that’s new to either genre, but the mixture makes for an entertaining and refreshingly different experience. The writing style is straightforward, but pleasant. Good, simple fun.
Nancy
Jun 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Unique Tale

This is a completely unique tale! Warlocks and witches in a wild west world. I hoped for a bit more from this book as the setting and storyline was promising. The characters were interesting and the world is still promising, I will read the next in series and see if the payoff is bigger.
Vandrolyn
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new weird west entry that sows the seeds of potentially great worldbuilding through a neat magic bullet-based system and the rough and tumble, but not too off-putting MC, Temperance. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this so far interesting series.
Dan
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun quick read that combines magic with the Old West.
James Taylor
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fantasy Western

Unusual characters. The characters are partially fleshed out as the story unfolds. Hopefully we will find out more about the characters in the next book
James
Sep 05, 2019
Hailey Smith
Jun 19, 2020
Victor Sanchez
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Can someone add an image to my book? 4 19 Nov 10, 2018 08:40AM

• They Mostly Come Out at Night (Yarnsworld, #1)
  • Street Cultivation
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Uncanny Collateral (Valkyrie Collections, #1)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Balam, Spring (Ustlian Tales #1)
  • The First Step (A Thousand Li, #1)
  • Never Die
  • Orconomics (The Dark Profit Saga, #1)
  • The Blood Tartan (Quest of the Five Clans #1)
  • The First Stop (A Thousand Li #2)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Junkyard Pirate
  • The Dragon's Banker
  • Mother of Learning
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • The Wizard's Butler
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
James is a CPA living in Eastern Washington. He started writing in 2015 after a dream left a story in his head that he couldn’t make go away. He’s been typing at the keyboard furiously ever since, and probably won’t stop until sometime around noon on the day of his funeral.

His current published works include the Bulletproof Witch Series, as well as a short story titled ‘For Want of a Sword’ in the

News & Interviews