Start by marking “Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)” as Want to Read:
Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)

Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)

Published April 11th 2003 by Ash Tree Publishing (first published July 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Wise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Wise

Start your review of Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
Tami
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wise Woman Herbal: Healing Wise looks at health and healing from a completely different perspective than any other resource I've ever consulted. Instead of looking at illness as something needing medication (as in western scientific medicine) or as the result of some sort of bodily imbalance (as in traditional eastern medicine), this book looks at illness as an opportunity.

At first, I have to admit that this concept sounded really strange to me. What sort of opportunity is suffering from Chroni
Linn Wiggins
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbals, influences
Another grandmother of herbal medicine, Susun tells it how it is.

She has a really different take on herbs to many other writers out there - in that she is very connected to the spirits of plants. I personally love how she allows each plant to tell their story in their own words.

But there is no denying Susun knows her stuff. The medicinal qualities of the plants are really well researched, her insights are clear and sharp on medicinal uses and great recipes.

I love that she uses really commonly a
Ryn
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Green witches, healers, wild women
I really like this silly magical little book. At first you open the book and think, Who is this new-age whack job and what is she trying to say? Upon closer inspection, this book is an outstanding resource full of true wisdom and practical applications of common plants in healing. I feel that I will return to this book again and again for information and inspiration as I get to know my plant allies. I think the book would have been stronger if it spent less time explaining the scientific and her ...more
Katie
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really want to make fun of this book, and certainly a bunch of the imagery and poetry Susun goes into here doesn't resonate/sounds ridiculous to me, buuuuuut I totally think of nettle as a sister spinster healing ally now, and it is my favorite plant, and whenever I see it now I greet it like a friend. So, you know. Plant medicine gets under your skin, y'all.
ryn
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbalism
this is a unique herbal. Susun Weed focuses on seven common plants and details their multiple uses and personalities, devoting full chapters to each. she lays out a distinction between the scientific, heroic, and wise woman traditions in healing arts, explaining how the one "fixes", the other "cleanses", and the last nourishes the whole human. Weed is very conscious to offer information in forms palatable to both sides of the brain / different styles of learning, and the tone feels friendly and ...more
AJ
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, non-fiction
---

This book is, quite simply, something else. I couldn't get through the first section without skimming, it was just way too Earth-Mother for my taste.

The sections on the "weeds" were cool but I found it annoying how she wrote from the weed perspective, and I had to completely skip the dandelion section which was in a fake French accent.

Read this book only if you don't mind reading stuff like "Think of chickweed as increasing your permeability to solar, lunar, universal and cosmic en
Grace
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: feminism
The information here seems pretty cool and useful (maybe I'll go picking some dandelions some time) but the presentation is pretty bad and often a bit culturally imperialistic (she even cites Carlos Castaneda at one point lol). The theology is interesting I guess. Her tone was almost constantly grating.
Stephanie Solomon
Jan 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Fun but WAY over the top.
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbs-herbals
Basic herbal for women. A good entry guide for developing relationships with healing plants. Magical.
Maja Haloway
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Charming story-telling and helpful herbal information to help women keep themselves healthy and happy.
Mandy
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational writing in the voice of each plant.
Kristen Brockmeyer
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great information - this belongs on my reference shelf forever.
Rosemary Clare
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Susun Weed's books and wisdom help to reawaken a voice inside of us that has been there all along. The voice of ancestors, of intuition and knowing, of Mama Earth and our connection with and to her. The collective spiral dance that stretches back through the ages to our primal root and deepest source. That is wholeness, and Susun invites us to remember and to step into that rhythm of abundance, of interconnectivity, of life. She empowers us to unearth, nourish, and become our fullest selves. Her ...more
Jesse Naumann
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book I had to get past my bias about men vs women energetics and understood what I could without acting like a typical Male. This book contains wisdom for all.
Kylee Stein
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What felt like a refreshing perspective on healing and wisdom is actually an invitation to return to our goddess-given gifts that are abundantly present within our Wisest Self already. This book is a boon for anyone called to healing, medicine (in any capacity), or those seeking connection with the Feminine Divine in as easy a venue as your own back yard.

This book is absolutely amazing and a must read. It has me looking at not only “pesky weeds”, but myself as well, with more curiosity and comp
Kathryn
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I appreciated the distinction made between 3 traditions of healing (scientific, heroic, and wise woman). This book focuses on the wise woman tradition and is an approach with a focus on nourishment. The overall tone is accessible as it feels more like a nice conversation (even if one sided) rather than a lecture. I also appreciate that the author sources her information so that one could look to those sources should they wish. One thing I could not get past and dropped my rating to a 3 was the a ...more
Sandra Merritt
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the first of Susun's books that I read. It opened up a whole new world to me. I had been exploring and studying herbalism on my own for years, then I wondrously stumbled upon Susun S. Weed! I went on to purchase the rest of her books, and also to study with Susun via her corresence courses. My connection with Susun and her teachings has been one of the greatest gifts to my life. Her books (all her teachings) are straightforward, entertaining, eye-opening, and full of valuable wisdom.
AnnBrown
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I totally liked the way this book is composed. There are many recipes for me)) But it would probably be nice if medicinal herbs like cannabis were also fully described here. I myself use ready-made options like this one - https://purekana.com/products/blue-raz-cbd-vape-pen-calm/ It’s great for any pain. I use the finished version because the main plant is too strong and I can not save myself from the excess THC on my own. ...more
Rebecca
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Honestly only giving it 2 stars because I appreciate the kitchen recipes and plant info, however the rest of the book is horribly written, repetitive without really saying anything, and - albeit it's on older book - I heavily disagree with the disparaging look they cast on modern medicine.
Read it for the Part 2 Plant chapters and ignore the rest.
Iris Eve
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Herbal for the Childbearing Year was my definitive "go-to" for my pregnancies and infant years!

SO. MUCH. WISDOM. 💚

After that, my path was set and Healing Wise was next. So foundational to approaching healing and wellness. Now I have quite the collection of Susan Weed books! Looking forward to the upcoming one as well 💚🍃🌿
Mary Margaret
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm gonna stick with this book: I think it's a valuable tool for respecting the plants we see every day, and recognizing their worth at the start, and not just filtered through bottles.

Some things, like I said before, I find nonsense. But I mostly like it, and I intend to use it in the coming year.

It came to me in the perfect time: we're just approaching spring :)
Krysta Sa
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Susun Weed perspective is interesting and empowering.
Katherine Bickford
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Healing wise is my essential 'go to' reference guide for healing that I will not be without. I use it for everything! I've colored the awesome illustrations throughout the book and treasure the wisdom that Susun has shared. Her guidance is brilliant and heartfelt. I've purchased several copies as gifts because it's my favorite all time book about healing. This was the book that inspired me to actually "get to know" plants by listening to them. I recommend it to everyone. This book will change yo ...more
jen
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First, Susan is not for everyone but I love her books. I have learned so much valuable information on herbs through her work, interviews and her website. She is a valuable resource for those who are looking for information on properly working with herbs. I refer to this book often.
Carol
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with other herbal books, I will add to the review after I have worked with this book more. But I have to admit some of her writing was a bit too hallucinogenic for me, though I in general found it more endearing than annoying. Wish there were better drawings ( or actual photos ) of the herbs. Glad to have this in my personal library.
Sandra Holladay
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Susun keeps her plant allies to a minimum (7) which allows her to fully cover the benefits of these healing herbs. In addition, they are common herbs/weeds that are easily found for those of us in North America (i.e., never used Burdock before and the local health store didn’t carry it because it was “so plentiful” in the area. After googling what it looked like and where found I looked around and found lots of it on the trail behind our house). The section on the ‘Herbal Pharmacy’ is excellent, ...more
Taylor
Apr 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the beginning herbalist
If you have an interest in the plants around you and herbal/natural medicine, this is an excellent place to start. Susun Weed walks with you through 6 or 7 specific plants, getting down to the details of each one. It's a good way to meet the ideas of natural medicine without leaping headfirst into the complexities of A Modern Herbal or other more esoteric works. Weed is an herbalist par-excellence and the information is all extremely solid. Easy to work with, delightful to read, a joy to recomme ...more
k
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
i have immense gratitude for Susun Weed. In an indirect way, she changed my life, and i am thankful. Defiantly opinionated, she shares in a frank and direct way a lifetime's worth of practical knowledge. The student/ patient is free to pursue, practice and research as they wish from there. Hooray for free will! Herbal medicine can be as close as the back door, and as easy as boiling water. Nourishing and supportive, this wise woman shares ways to enjoy the gift of life with good health. Green Bl ...more
Andrea Lucretia Evans
Jun 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Look, I don't want to be a snob. I know that I'm salty and cynical and clearly many people must find this writing style charming, but any trace of credibility goes out the window when one writes an entire chapter from the viewpoint of a dandelion in the most caricatured French accent that would offend even Pepe Le Pew.

I just feel like, if you're writing a book about healthcare, the ratio of facts to whimsy needs to be, like, you know, whatever the exact opposite of this book would be.
Courtney
Oct 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
This book has been in the queue for awhile, just picked it back up. Had a lot of good recipes and also instructions for preparing herbal medicines. The writing style was not my favorite, (the author writes from the point of view of the plant, and somewhat annoyingly, gave some of the plants accents.) This book, along with a field guide, is a great starter for anyone looking to use locally growing plants (otherwise known as weeds) as medicine.
Goodreads Librari...: Book missing from my Profile 3 14 May 03, 2016 12:58PM
Peninsula but even for inexperienced 1 2 Sep 06, 2014 03:18AM

• The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide
  • Abundantly Well: The Complementary  Integrated  Medical Revolution
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • Alchemy of Herbs: Transform Everyday Ingredients into Foods and Remedies That Heal
  • Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families
  • The Practice of Traditional Western Herbalism: Basic Doctrine, Energetics, and Classification
  • Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)
  • Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
  • Culpepper's Complete Herbal: With ONE HUNDRED ADDITIONAL HERBS, and A DISPLAY OF THEIR Medicinal and Occult Qualities
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West
  • The Energetics of Western Herbs: Treatment Strategies Integrating Western and Oriental Herbal Medicine Volume 1
  • Common Herbs for Natural Health
  • Herbal Vade Mecum: 800 Herbs, Spices, Essential Oils, Lipids, Etc., Constituents, Properties, Uses, and Caution
  • The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat
  • Herbal Medicine from the Heart of the Earth: From the Heart of the Earth
Susun S. Weed has no official diplomas of any kind; she left high school in her junior year to pursue studies in mathematics and artificial intelligence at UCLA and she left college in her junior year to pursue life.

Susun began studying herbal medicine in 1965 when she was living in Manhattan while pregnant with her daughter, Justine Adelaide Swede.

She wrote her first book -- Wise Woman Herbal f

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...
“I see the wise woman.