Start by marking “The Millennium Whole Earth Catalog: Access to Tools and Ideas for the Twenty-First Century” as Want to Read:

(Whole Earth Catalog)

Lists useful resources related to science, health care, crafts, communication late-twentieth century technologies, biodiversity, and more.
Published May 25th 1995 by HarperOne (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Millennium Whole Earth Catalog, please sign up.
Serene Vannoy Smart-ass answer: YouTube.

Smart-ass answer: YouTube.

Real answer: This is a great question, and I'm going to really think about it. These days, if I want to know how to do something, I really do check YouTube first, but wouldn't an electronic Whole Earth be great? (less)

Start your review of The Millennium Whole Earth Catalog: Access to Tools and Ideas for the Twenty-First Century
Chris
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This encyclopediac volume has been rendered somewhat obsolete by the internet, yet no single site on the internet organizes such a valuable intellectual and cultural tool-set for analyzing and solving problems in all aspects of life. You will find a bit of everything in here: metaphysics, pointers to resources, philosophical guide posts. Stewart Brand was onto something really important with this concept. We could use a bit more education in most of this stuff today.
Christopher
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Still largely relevant today as a reference to empowering resources. Some entries are now obsolescent, but not much. Its coverage of nascent internet and computer technologies is now quite outdated--I think this was published in the mid 1990s, just before the internet went supernova--but there are still lots of tools and ideas worth considering. Especially interesting to me are the listings of specialized books that are a cut above the usual fare we used to find in brick-and-mortar ...more
Licia
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This catalog was like a comprehensive "Sears Catalog" for the New Age-hippie-environmentalist crowd. A True precursor to the internet, and Wikipedia, the authors were prescient, and had their fingers on the pulse of matters vital to our present times.
matthew
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: um... hippies? but the good ones!
the whole earth catalog shaped my life. contrary to what wags might say, this was (is) a good thing. i still go back to the various versions (i have some put out on newsprint) when i need a jump start to living.
James
Somewhat dated now in some areas, 14 years down the road, but a lot of the information is still valid, and even the entries that are outdated may inspire you to track down up-to-date equivalents. This is a great book to browse for hours as well as a place to look up specific things.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not a hippy, but I loves me a good reference work.
Mike
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it
A fond revisiting of my college days
Kahlbo
Jun 16, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »

• Counterculture Green: The Whole Earth Catalog and American Environmentalism
  • Fabulous Felt Crafts: 50 Creative  Colorful Projects to Make
  • The Ultimate Book Marketing Crash Course: A Step-by-Step Guide to Selling More Books (2019 Edition) (Crash Courses for Authors)
  • How to Crochet: 16 Quick and Easy Granny Square Patterns
  • C.A.E.C.O. (Demon Accords, #15)
  • One Thousand Monsters (Anno Dracula, #5)
  • TED Talks: The Official TED Guide to Public Speaking
  • Birding Without Borders: An Obsession, a Quest, and the Biggest Year in the World
  • Gifts and Other Tales
  • Strange People
  • Flying Saucers - Here and Now!
  • Those Who Wander: America's Lost Street Kids
  • Finch Merlin and the Lost Map (Harley Merlin #11)
  • Creating Compelling Characters From The Inside Out (Writing As A Second Career Book 2)
  • Psychology
  • The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1)
  • Never: Prequel to The Amber Isle (Book of Never, #0)
  • Top Home-Based Job & Business Ideas for 2020: Best Places to Find Jobs to Work from Home Grouped by Interests & Hobbies from Basic to Expert Level (Influencer Fast Track® Series Book 4)
Aloha! I'm always excited to interact with readers. I'm new to Goodreads but will do my best to check in from time to time. A great deal of info and resources, articles, videos, can be found on my website, which I will list here.

I'm 65 and live in Marin County, California -- just north of the Golden Gate -- and when I'm not writing (and when weather permits, when I am writing) I'm usually to be

Whole Earth Catalog (4 books)
  • Original Whole Earth Catalog, Special 30th Anniversary Issue