Start by marking “Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel” as Want to Read:
Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel

Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel

(Dilbert: Business #5)

Back after a four-year hiatus, New York Times best-selling author Scott Adams presents an outrageous look at work, home, and everyday life in his new book, Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel. Building on Dilbert’s theory that “All people are idiots,” Adams now says, “All people are idiots. And they are also weasels.” Just ask anyone who worked at Enron.

In this book, Adams
Published October 3rd 2003 by Boxtree (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel

Start your review of Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel
Shikha Pillai
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management, humor
This was my first Dilbert book, so I am sold on it heavily (unlike others who say this is his weakest work).

I even contemplated making WoW my office Bible, just so I could be reminded each day not to take corporate-ness seriously. You see, if you can actually suspend your assumption that this book is just humor, you may experience an enlightenment of sorts - suddenly, all the other management books you've read on high performance and corporate citizenship and ethics and leadership, seems like
Maria  D
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
My advice about this book: don't read it all at once. Put it in your bathroom.

This is probably one of the best bathroom books ever created. It's a book to open, get fueled by a great random comic/reader's letter/ Scott Adams's insight about stuff, and proceed with your life.

The book is as witty, insightful, true and funny as Scott Adams can be, but no use trying to ingest it all at once.
Enjoy!
Kathleen
Nov 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Okay, this is Scott Adams, who is a sexist piece of shit (seriously there is a whole lotta rape culture in those links, please be careful) so I should've known what I was getting into, but for some reason, I had hope. Dilbert is frequently genuinely funny to me, particularly when he constrains himself to the idiocy of management.

Unfortunately, while there are rather entertaining bits in the beginning, this book has an entire chapter on why women are weasels and why the glass ceiling doesn't
Saralyn
Feb 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Irreverent, sarcastic, laugh-out-loud funny. Gotta love Dilbert even if I don't understand him all the time.
Roshan
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, critiqued
If there ever is a methodology to gain weasel-hood during our lifetime, this hilarious read undisputedly would be it. Comical, rib tickling, humorous, and all at once elevated to the degree peculiarly possessed by the chamber of secrets. This read is an unsuspected guide to a day and a half of engrossed, heart warming read. It never disappoints its readers, especially the ones looking forward to a pleasant reading experience. A few unpleasant sections or rather unconventional comic strips ...more
Sundarraj Kaushik
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Typical Scott Adams scathing humour. Exposes all the things that one has done in the corporate world. If one were true one would admit to adopting the weasley ways one time or the other. Be it trying to minimize one's work to buttering one's way up the slippery corporate ladder to the next rung, or redirecting the blame on a coworker, or innocently letting the manager praise one for someone else's work.

This is one book where the author goes beyond office and into personal relationships too where
P
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you need a break from all the business management books that offer to "change your work attitude forever", turn to Dilbert for some comedy relief. I like the comic strip and can relate, but this book is a cynical and sarcastic look at the corporate world that rambles on more than it needs to.

And the fact that Scott Adams is a supporter of Donald Trump doesn't help him much either. I'm not buying any more of his books.
Elise N
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This should have been a 5-star book. Most of the book was amazing and made me literally laugh out loud at least once per page.

The smudge that I cannot overlook is the chapter "Weasels are from Venus," which set forth female stereotypes that got me riled up.

Considering snipping the Venus chapter from my copy of the book, so I can enjoy it 100% (just kidding! probably).
Pragati
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh, personal-library
Dilbert always came out as world weary in Scott's comic strip but never bitter, cynical and downright depressing as in this book. Even if I put pessimism and misanthropy aside, this book is just not funny. It seems Scott decided that people cannot understand the strips on their own, so he goes about expanding and explaining the jokes, thereby killing the humor.
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic insight into being a down right lazy weasel at work. This writer is incredibly sharp in wit and wisdom. I love the cynicism.
Harshil Shah
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A humorous take on corporate life.
Bevalie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So fun! And so true! Loved the chapter on Financial Weasels!!
Kesavan Hariharasubramanian
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Drenched in sarcasm and very hilarious!
Rian Q.
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've regularly used the "kissing the asses of businessmen in a hangar metaphor" to explain why some people never get ahead.
Alicia
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was extremely funny. I think that in this series, the first and last books were definitely the best. The first one introduced a lot of key concepts that were explored in the next books, and the last one explored my favourite concept. It’s just…so applicable. Okay, there is the one argument that most weasels who provide a product or service probably won’t screw you over too much because they need to have a good reputation regarding customer service. If they screw you over then they lose ...more
Vaibhav Anand
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Do not read this book if you are working in a large corporate! It will make you cynical, bitter and suspicious… It will also mean that you will connect a real life work situation to something in the book and end up laughing in a rather serious meeting (like I did). In fact, a couple of renowned Business Schools have singled out Adams’ books as important commentary on the workplace (or so the blurbs on the books say: with Adams, you are never quite sure what to take seriously and what not.)

Jokes
Joshua Ingersoll
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A hilariously satirical look at real human behavior. It is less serious than Gulliver's Travels, but is written in a similar vein.
Elaine Meszaros
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It was one of my saving graces while working for The Evil Company. Adams takes the view that most people are weasels. You can either be the victim of weasels, or become a weasel yourself. Illustrated with numerous Dilbert cartoon and real letters sent from Dilbert fans, Adams shows the many ways in which we are jerked around by other weasels. He also offers step-by-step lessons on becoming a weasel yourself. My favorite - don’t apologize directly. Instead, say you are "Sorry ...more
Andrew
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
While I love Scott Adams' writing, generally speaking, this has been the weakest of his books I've read so far. While all his cynical, bitter ramblings are out in full force, it lacks his usual tendency to include his own harebrained thoughts, crackpot theories, and general ruminations. Instead you get a self-deprecating tiny bald man from Californian telling you about all the ways people are sneaky to one another. It's funny of course; he's still got a real talent for his brand of humor, but ...more
Tom Franklin
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Those parts of DILBERT AND THE WAY OF THE WEASEL that are cartoon-laden are amusing. Some are even downright funny.

Those parts that go on for several pages without cartoons tend to either be over-long, boring or, worse, offensive.

In one such section Adams dismisses the notion of a Glass Ceiling for women in the workplace based on the supposition that men are better at kissing the posterior of those men above them in the management chain. (He was being serious.)

Some sections of this book seemed
Evilynn
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
I speed read this before book crossing it, thinking I wouldn't bother reading it at all. I got sucked in by the emails sent to Scott Adams, they're all insane, mostly hilarious and the recognition factor is (frighteningly enough) huge for those of us who work in offices. That said, this is a very uneven book. I felt the first half was funny and made sense, and then the second half was all over the place, especially the last hundred page, and I can't help but wonder if he's paid per page...

Off
Scott Martin
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Listened to the audiobook. Not that bad a listen/read, especially in international traffic. It had its moments, and much of the writing ties in with the themes from the comic strip. It was a nice touch that the author decided to do the narration. However, even the abridgement seemed like it was too much and it got a little old and predictable. The comic strip is one of the best on the planet (very few other mediums can effectively convey the office environment), but the book...eh, not quite as ...more
Jo
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Overall, this is a great comedy book, but not a "business" book as labeled by Barnes & Noble. Scott's satirical humor is great, but please don't look for this book to find productivity. Also, I warn that there are many sexist comments from Scott, entailing that "women are weasels". I'm not an enthusiast feminist but I have to say Adams overdid it by adding that women have made masculinity unacceptable. There is a fine line between masculinity and rudeness, but he says that men cannot ...more
Shashank

Scott Adams presents what he comprehends as weasels in everyday life,in this book.The first 150 pages are a riot and well easy to get through,but then are followed up with 200 pages wherein he drawls on for the majority of the time about how moronic people are as well the problems he has with plumbers and marketing people,culminating in the cartoons drying up.Yes,Mr.Adams,we understand you are a misanthrophic sociopath,but please stop trying too hard to be funny,stick to what works.

P.S. Needless
Justin
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
Scott Adams is just as successfully biting and satirical as in his other books, though as I've mentioned before, his books tend to blend together after a while. His greatest success comes from his ability (like many other great authors and satirists) to take the everyday and point out the comically absurd, hypocritical, and comically negative. Recommended to people who already understand the world isn't fair (probably a bit hard to take otherwise).
Chad
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, audio-cd
I enjoyed this audio book on my commute to and from work. Scott Adams provides a lot of good "weasel" examples throughout this book. This first half had me laughing out loud, but it started to wear thin in the second half when he gets away from the office setting. Overall this is an entertaining book and one that I enjoyed listening to.
Jan 01, 2011 added it
I was moderately embarrassed to be reading a Dilbert book, and the section on women just confirmed it. Scott Adams needs to get new material - this was pretty much the last several, rehashed. Making fun of corporate overlords and their arbitrary decisions is as relevant now as ever, but Adams has just stopped being as fresh at it.
Jeri
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cubicle dwellers
If you work, or have ever worked in an office environment, this book is hilarious... and true! Adams is a great writer, throws in funny anecdotes, cartoons from his famous Dilbert strip and e-mails from fans in with the book in a really funny and well-constructed way. I really enjoyed this book and most of it is so true-to-life that it's disturbing.
Suleman Ali
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel is another humourous guide to the office environment from Scott Adams.

This is one of my favourite Dilbert books from Adams as it focuses of the desperate (and funny) lengths people go to, in order to survive and thrive in the modern workplace.

More Dilbert fun and humour which had me laughing and nodding in agreement.
Meghan
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dilbert
I liked this book because it showed so many funny things. I have shared this book with classmates and they also liked it. It may or may not have caused a disruption, sorry Mrs. Banworth. Would definitely recommend, but you should know about the tooth fairy, you know, who it is. It is mentioned and I don't want to ruin childhoods.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Little Book That Still Beats the Market
  • Bloodline
  • Nothing Lasts Forever
  • Chronicle of a Corpse Bearer
  • The Other Side of Midnight (Midnight #1)
  • Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early): How Far Would You Go for Financial Freedom?
  • Memories of Midnight
  • The Sky is Falling
  • The Stars Shine Down
  • McCluskieganj
  • Unjust: Social Justice and the Unmaking of America
  • The Next Red Wave How Conservatives Can Beat Leftist Aggression, RINO Betrayal & Deep State Subversion
  • Life After Television: The Coming Transformation of Media and American Life

Adams was born in Windham, New York in 1957 and received his Bachelor's degree in Economics from Hartwick College in 1979.

He also studied economics and management for his 1986 MBA from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.

In recent years,

Dilbert: Business (5 books)
  • The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's-Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions
  • Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook
  • The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century
  • The Joy of Work: Dilbert's Guide to Finding Happiness at the Expense of Your Co-Workers
“If you spend all your time arguing with people who are nuts, you'll be exhausted and the nuts will still be nuts.” 62 likes