Start by marking “The Wainscott Weasel” as Want to Read:
The Wainscott Weasel

The Wainscott Weasel

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  376 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
While other young weasels dance under the pines, Bagley thinks about Bridget, the mesmerizing fish who lives in a pond down the brook from his den. Only a true hero can save Bridget from the gruesome death that awaits her'and this is exactly what Bagley, much to his own surprise, proves himself to be.

Notable Children's Books of 1994 (ALA)
100 Books for Reading and Sharing 1
Published May 30th 1996 by Michael Di Capua Books (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Wainscott Weasel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wainscott Weasel

Max
Oct 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book deserves its comparisons to CHARLOTTE'S WEB as it manages to elegantly graft a slyly written social satire onto a daring rescue story worth of John Ford. Wainscott, Long Island is the 21st century, musteline version of Jane Austen's Bath, England, and Seidler deftly delivers a complete universe filled with animals that are driven as much by their natural instincts as they are by their familial responsibilities, hidden desires and social ambitions. Even though this works as a comedic pi ...more
Nicki
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story.

I read this book for the first time as an adult, days after my boyfriend (now husband) broke up with me. At the time I had a hard time expressing how I was feeling about the breakup and this book was incredibly significant in helping me process the feelings of deeply loving someone I couldn't be with, feeling alone even though I had support from those around me, and altogether getting over feeling sorry for myself.
Jan Polep
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh for the love of weasels...this book is right up there with "Wind in the Willows" and "Charlotte's Web". Set in the Wainscott Woods on Long Island, this story for the 7-12 year old crowd tells of Bagley Brown, Jr, Zeke, and Wendy... weasels living, loving, rescuing, & dancing it up in silly, scary, witty words and illustrations. Frogs, fish, turtles, and birds (both good and bad), plot twists you won't see coming, and did I mention...WEASELS...a great read alone or aloud.
Anna
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
A good story, just more bittersweet than I was expecting from a children's book. The premise of the story sounded funny so I wasn't expecting it to leave me kind of sad. I could see it being an interesting book to read with a kid and talk about some complicated life questions with. The story provided a lot of fodder for that without being over-the-top.
Leigh
I got into Tor Seidler in elementary school because of A Rat's Tale--I had pet rats at the time, and once wrote him a letter about them that he very graciously and personally responded to. But it was this book that won my heart.
elissa
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and elementary schoolers
This was one of my family's favorite read-alouds. My younger son was 6 when we read it, and my older son was 8. All 4 of us really enjoyed the unusual and clever story, and it's also beautifully illustrated. We've been occasionally calling one of our cats a "white-bellied weasel" ever since.
Brenna
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I ever read. I believe I was in elementary school and have loved it ever since. This book made me fall in love with reading.
Megan Tucker
Aug 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Entertaining book, but I kept waiting for it to go somewhere, and it never really did. And a weasel falls in love with a fish. Crazy.
Lauren
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites from childhood. Sweet story and gorgeous illustrations! Will be reading this one to my own kids one day!
Jackie
Oh my, my...what a weasel will do for impossible love. The Wainscott Weasel is a lonely, yet revered weasel who falls hopelessly, madly in love with Bridget, the fish! When Bridget's pond is threatened by non-existent rain and a lurking osprey, Bagley Brown Jr. will go to even more impossible lengths to save her from the talons of the osprey. Bagley's dad, a fine up-standing weasel was a legend of the highest rank after he organized the moles and dug a tunnel from the Wainscott Woods to the farm ...more
Jeff
Read Aloud. While at times Bagley Brown, the main character, was likable, those moments could not overcome the weirdness of some details and the scattered action of the overall story. It took half of the book for the plot to develop sufficiently to draw us into the story; and, even then, the author had to abandon one plot line for awhile then later artificially tie the two stories together again.

What really kept me from liking the book, however, was the unsettling attraction that Bagley had for
Leah
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I got this book at a used book store in East Hampton because I can't pass up local books about the East End. This one, with all it's charming pictures, isn't really a children's story. I mean, it would be a long one. But I found it quite enjoyable. It's about these little weasels who live in the Hamptons (snobby yuppie weasels perhaps). They fall in love, get married, and have drama. In fact, one brave little weasel falls in love with a fish from the local pond. Right...stick with me. There is a ...more
Mads
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
"Written with grace and great good humor, The Wainscott Weasel is a rollicking adventure, a comedy, a love story, and most assuredly a book that will live on in children's memories." (The Five Owls)

A cute and unordinary book that I enjoyed as a kid. Now that I've re-read it I see it is much more complex than I'd taken it for that first time I read it, at about 8/9 years old; I didn't remember anything about it except that it was about a weasel with one eye...But I read a lot of books then that I
Hannah Tebbens
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite books! I had this book read to me as a young child and have read it so many times since that it is falling apart. I read this book when ever I am going through a rough patch and it has always helped me get by. This book means so much to me and no matter what age you are it is just a satisfying read. It makes me feel at ease and content and it will always be in my heart.
George
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Adorable little book with a charming cast of characters, who even if they appear for only a few pages, you enjoy their company. Had me smiling through and through through each narrative arc and every brilliant illustration. It's a simple story about love and friendship, weasels dancing in the moonlight, a fish, frog legs, an eyepatch, and some eggs.

I've heard that this shall be turned into an animated movie someday and I hope that it shall capture the subtle charm that this tale spins.
Rochelle
Trying this as a bedtime read because it is set right near where I grew up. Cute story so far, based on a weasel community that has a tunnel straight into a chicken coop, so they have an endless supply of eggs. This means they don't have to work much, and spend a lot of time at spring dances, relaxing and swimming.
Raina
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j, animals
Comforting old fashioned anthropomorphized animal tale, accented by beautiful illustrations. This comes from 1993, but it totally works today. It feel sophisticated and rich, and has a depth to it. How does a weasel fall head-over-heels in love with a fish?

Like a warm snuggly blanket, but not without its quirk.
Anne K.
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that my mom read to me and my younger sister at night and I just remember it being quite wonderful and transportive at the time. I have no clue how it holds up almost ten years later but at the time, it was a favorite.
Patti Borneman
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this beautiful, funny and heartwarming story to my almost 8-year-old granddaughter and we both enjoyed it very much. Wonderful to read aloud. The illustrations are delightful, too. Looking forward to reading Tor Seidler's other stories.
Lindsay
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it
I loved the ideas of the animals the author uses. Weasels? So original. They have their traditions just like we have and it was so fun to have "the weasel with the patch". I did feel as if the book moved a little slow. I think it would have made a better picture book but I really did enjoy it.
LW
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-childrens
This is a completely charming children's book with fantastic illustrations by one of my favorite illustrators, Fred Marcellino. Also see the book "A Rat's Tale" for another wonderful story by Seidler with Marcellino illustrations.
Nicole
May 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I've loved this book since my mom read it to me. it's kinda like charlotte's web, but with gorgeous full page illustrations and no human characters - two reasons why it's better! it's a hilarious and beautiful love story between a weasel and a fish.
Carine
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I loved the characters, each of them is great. I noticed the resemblence with humans; the traditions, the idolization of the ones who did great things, the love etc.
It was quite predictable, but then again, it's a childrensbook.
I liked it, but not too much. I had to push myself to read it.
Becca
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of the most kickass kids books ever.
Jeslyn
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, simply delightful.
Logan
Feb 24, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: abandoned
I think L was a little too young for this yet. Or maybe it was just too boring for him. In any case, he lost interest.
Katie Farmer
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
2 stars for the story and 3 stars for the art. The first half of the story was great and then it kind of went downhill..
Blaine Harper
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just revisited this childhood favorite - excellent as always!
Kidsbookworm
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great story!
Abbey
Jun 30, 2011 added it
Shelves: own

This was my mom's favorite book to read aloud to me when I was young. It's utterly charming.
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • We Eat Dinner in the Bathtub
  • The Book of Dragons
  • The Mousewife
  • In the Grip of Winter (Farthing Wood, #2)
  • Lincoln and His Boys
  • The Funny Thing
  • Thunder Oak (The Welkin Weasels, #1)
  • Flossie and the Fox
  • Seitsemän koiraveljestä
  • Upchuck and the Rotten Willy
  • The Magic Bicycle (Spirit Flyer, #1)
  • Profetiens Utvalgte (Phenomena, #1)
  • The Iron Sceptre (Archives of Anthropos #4)
  • Horace and Morris but Mostly Dolores (Horace and Morris and Dolores, #1)
  • Vulpes the Red Fox