Start by marking “FloodWorld (FloodWorld, #1)” as Want to Read:
FloodWorld (FloodWorld, #1)

FloodWorld

(FloodWorld #1)

Kara and Joe spend their days navigating the perilous waterways of a sunken city, scratching out a living in the ruins. But when they come into possession of a mysterious map, they find themselves in a world of trouble. Suddenly everyones after them: gangsters, cops and ruthless Mariner pirates in their hi-tech submarines. The two children must find a way to fight back ...more
Published October 3rd 2019 by Nosy Crow

To ask other readers questions about FloodWorld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FloodWorld

Start your review of FloodWorld (FloodWorld, #1)
Mr Pink Ink
In a dystopian world, of a future that seems very possible, the world has drowned and only small portions of land remain. Most of London is now underwater and only a wall separates the sea from swallowing the city entirely - here, it's every man for himself...

Kara and Joe live in the slums and all they want to do is earn a little money for food and a little to put away so they can go to Canada someday, but they get dragged into a web of deceit and uncover a plot to destroy the city.

Fans of Star
Simon
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Floodworld was my first experience of Tom Huddlestone and he certainly knows his way around crafting an imposing, enthralling, intricately detailed dystopian world. You're always off to a winner when you get a mini-map of the world provided, love that. The tone, mood and general aura of the writing married perfectly well with his futuristic London environment. Add that to his luxurious use of language and colourful, vivid detail and you're in for a thrilling ride. I think this book would be ...more
David Barker
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story too wet your appetite

A gripping adventure about Kara and Joe, set in a flooded world of haves and have-nots. Plenty of drama, twists and full of well-rounded, entertaining characters. Like Kin Stanley Robinson's New York 2140, Tom Huddleston does a great job of portraying a fully-fledged socio-economic world for our heroes, but it never gets in the way of a dark, exciting tale. Looking forward to the sequel already.
ALICE CORNELL
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun and thought-provoking

This adventure story may be set in the future, but I thought it said a lot about the world of today. It's the story of Kara and Joe, two children trying to survive in a flooded future version of London, after the seas have risen. It's entertaining and full of action, but it's also a great way to address the issue of climate change with kids.

Highly recommend.
Daisy Brown
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Floodworld is a fast-paced and exciting book that leaves you wanting to read more. The characters are vivid and you get to like them a lot. I think this book is very thought provoking about the impacts of global warming and the rich poor divide in society which was great. Overall I really enjoyed reading Floodworld and I would definitely recommend it to anyone over the age of 9!
Marsha
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Huddleston has has created a near future world so believable that it feels with our grasp to change what happens next in ours . A great adventure that has captured the imagination of my reluctant reader nephew . Ill be slinging copies of this book to many this Christmas ...more
Lindsey Bowden
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always been fascinated with the idea of a flooded world and underwater cities so this was right up my street. Tom Huddleston has done a wonderful job in creating a new world in this book. He writes with a fun flair, really giving you the picture of the Floodworld in your mind as you read. The pacing is good and the characters very well developed. All in all I recommend the book and hope to read a sequel one day!
Martin Wilson
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 10 year-old son loved this, and keeps asking when the next book in the series will be released. Its a pretty good read for adults too - I enjoyed it. ...more
Jacks.Hendriegmail.Com
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought this as I really liked his previous novel The Waking World. I wasnt disappointed, and Im looking forward to the sequel. ...more
camilla cole
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Makes me wish I was a kid again! If you have a young relative I can highly advise this as a gift- such a thrilling adventure story. I loved the characters and never wanted it to end.
Alastair Chisholm
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a cracking dystopian thriller in full blockbuster style! Floodworld is set in a world reeling from eco-disaster, society has splintered and everyone is clinging on to life (except for the blessed one-percenters, living in comfort behind flood walls ), and follows Kara and Joe as they try to survive feral gangs, corrupt police and terrorists who may or may not be freedom fighters The book pulls no punches and has some fantastically exciting scenes, and most of the adults are morally ...more
Scott Eastlick
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully imagined story told with a style of prose akin to riding a bicycle downhill. A great read for its intended audience, with multiple bones being thrown towards older readers too. Highly recommended.
Lucas
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thrilling dystopian adventure, full review here: https://bit.ly/2TjQOtz
Rosie Greatorex
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! It's a climate-change dystopia for kids, but with an almost Blade Runner cityscape which adult readers are going to really get immersed in. For me it definitely worked on both those levels. I fell in love with the whole cast of characters, as well as getting swept up in the action.. and couldnt help seeing this on the cinema screen as I was reading it, it's so visual. If you enjoy the scale and emotion of NK Jemisin this is one for you, for sure. It definitely reads younger than ...more
A Severs
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reminded me a little of Philip Reeve's stuff - especially Infernal Devices where some of the action is set in the water. I started this a while back and then didn't get on with reading it - once I picked it back up again the action really got going. However, I found there weren't enough ups to balance the downs - true to life (if that's possible in a apocalyptic future world) perhaps, but not as easy to read.
Nicki
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The scary thing about this book is that it could come true! It's set in a world where the sea has risen and much of London and the rest of the world has flooded. This of course brings out the worst in people (and sometimes the best too...)
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
In his debut novel, Tom Huddleston introduces the dystopian world of Floodworld, and more specifically the characters Kara and Joe, who are forced to go on the run when a mysterious map falls into their possession. I really liked Kara and her strength as a character was definitely my favourite thing about the book, and I loved the side that her relationship with Joe brought out in her as well. I also found the idea of this world in itself an interesting one to explore. However, I found the ...more
Jessi
Dec 11, 2019
Learna
Feb 11, 2020
Bianca
rated it did not like it
Apr 10, 2019

• The Land of Roar
  • Bloom
  • Invisible In A Bright Light
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
  • The Case of the Drowned Pearl: A Murder Most Unladylike Mini-Mystery: World Book Day 2020
  • The Longest Night of Charlie Noon
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • Nothing Ever Happens Here
  • The Boy Who Fooled the World
I'm Tom Huddleston, author of adventure stories like FLOODWORLD and its sequel DUSTROAD, plus several episodes in the WARHAMMER ADVENTURES and STAR WARS: ADVENTURES IN WILD SPACE series.

I also write about film and TV for publications including Time Out, the BFI and The Guardian, and I sing in a folk-rock band called The No Sorrows.

I was born in Kendal and raised in North Yorkshire, though I now

FloodWorld (2 books)
  • DustRoad (FloodWorld, #2)

News & Interviews