Start by marking “The Guy Who Died Twice (Detective D.D. Warren, #9.5)” as Want to Read:
The Guy Who Died Twice (Detective D.D. Warren, #9.5)

The Guy Who Died Twice

(Detective D.D. Warren #9.5)

Sergeant Detective D. D. Warren confronts the strangest case of her career in this exclusive eBook short story by the #1 New York Times bestselling author.

Kindle Edition
Published January 8th 2019 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about The Guy Who Died Twice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guy Who Died Twice

Hollis
This was a fun little snippet of a mystery in between Detective D.D. Warren novels. It's almost a little reminiscent of Clue, and there is even a joke or two to that affect, with the added bonus of flipping between the event itself and DD, having already solved it, recounting the whole story at home to her husband after a long day.

I'll admit I actually guessed the whoddunit but hadn't quite put together the full backstory which was both awful and sad.

I enjoyed this little visit with characters
Erin
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Boston detective, D.D. Warren is back in this ebook short with perhaps her strangest case yet. Mostly, reviewers like myself will be tempted to say that these books could be longer but in this case,  The Guy Who Died Twice is the perfect length. When D.D and her team are called to a rich man's estate, she finds herself channeling her inner Hercule Poirot and by the end of the day will have pinpointed the suspect. A fairly entertaining read that made me nostalgic for the day
Juli
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first story by Lisa Gardner that I've read. I've wanted to read her books for ages. I have two on my TBR shelf, and my library has several more. But with literally thousands of books on my shelves, I just hadn't gotten to her yet. I think every avid reader must have a couple authors that they really really really (really x 10) want to read, but their work never seems to pop up at the top of the TBR list.

Reading this short story has officially moved Lisa Gardner's books to the top of
Lo Bookfrantic
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review-ng

4★★★★Stars

Genre:  Mystery/Short Stories
Type:  Standalone
POV:  First Person – Female

Expected publication: January 8th 2019

❝ Liars tended to fall into two camps. Those who held back- the Dr. Anils of the world -and those who were overly detailed - like Mrs. LaToile. Either way, neither one was being completely honest.❞

DD the famous FBI detective who I came to love from the previews books was assigned to a very crazy bizarre case, one very unusual case she hadn’t come across before and
♥Rachel♥
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, mystery
The Guy Who Died Twice was a fun little mystery novella with one of my favorite Lisa Gardner Detectives, D.D. Warren, sharing a very unusual case of murder to her husband over dinner. As you can gather from the description a man walks in to report his death/murder, and yet he is very much alive at the time. They all chalk this up to mental illness, but a few hours later D.D. and her team are called out to a grand estate to investigate the same man’s actual murder. There’s a whole house full of s ...more
Diane Hernandez
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A man walks into a police station insisting he has been murdered. With a record of mental issues, he is sent home. Less than nine hours later, he is stabbed to death in the Guy Who Died Twice.

Detective D.D. Warren and her partner investigate the man’s murder. Arriving home that evening, D.D. walks her husband Alex, a police crime scene analyst, through the crime. Together, they solve the mystery.

There are plenty of suspects, means and motives here. The Guy Who Died Twice is a fun chance to play
Monnie
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Generally speaking, I shy away from short stories. But once in a while, especially if it's coming from a favorite author, I relent. Recent releases by Dean Koontz and Jonathan Kellerman come to mind - short stories they wrote as lead-ins to upcoming books. In fact, I've even read a shorty by this author, who's also on my list of favorites -- albeit one co-written with M.J. Rose for the anthology FaceOff a few years back (an outstanding compilation that I highly recommend, BTW). So when I got a c ...more
Diane
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this is a novella, I enjoyed the quick read. Had me guessing who the guilty party was throughout the story. Detective D.D. Warren is one of my favourite book characters - some humor and good bantering.

4 stars and 2 thumbs up

From the blurb: D. D. Warren was pretty sure she'd seen it all. Then a man walks into police headquarters, attempting desperately to convince the squad that he's dead. Explaining to him that he's very much alive, they finally send him on his way . . . and then hou
Judy Lesley
Lisa Gardner is one of my favorite authors, especially her D. D. Warren series, so I was glad to see this short story available through NetGalley. This doesn't have Flora Dane in it but the rest of D.D.'s crew are on hand to investigate a most unusual case.

I especially enjoyed the method of having D. D. relate the case to her husband as they were relaxing at home. The entire crime/case had taken place during that work day so it felt as if readers were privy to listening in on the after-work conv
This is pretty short, but it's a fun little teaser while we await the next DD Warren book. This story is about a strange murder case, where the only suspects are the dead man's wife, doctor, and servants. DD and crew manage to solve the whole thing in the course of a day, using purely circumstantial clues, and then DD gathers all the suspects together Poirot-style to announce who did it. Feels a bit improbable, but enjoyable if you can just roll with it.

*Used for PopSugar 2019 Reading Challenge
Tina Woodbury
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For all of my reviews: www.readingbetweenthepagesblog.wordpr...

I don’t usually read short stories, but when the opportunity arose to read this little gem from one of my favorite authors, Lisa Gardner, I could not pass it up.

I really enjoyed this Agatha Christie style mystery! Adam LaToile walks into a police station claiming he is dead. Hmmm…he is walking, talking, and breathing so clearly he is not dead! Can you imagine the shock when the police learn, just two hours after that visit to the pol
Kelsie
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Guy Who Died Twice is a very entertaining short story from established author, Lisa Gardner. Gardner reveals the story in a series of flashbacks, with the primary character, police detective D.D. Warren, relating the details of her most recent case to her husband.

Detective D.D.Warren brags to her husband, a police crime scene analyst, that she has just solved the “strangest case”. Apparently, the couple has an ongoing competition for the strangest police case. The LaToile case is definitely
Cheryl
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, cozy short read. Although, it did not read like a "short" story. It had everything to make a "great" story. Entertaining characters, a good storyline with plenty of twists, and a satisfying ending. The more I get to know of D. D.; the more I love her. She is very intelligent. Additionally, I learned something new. The main character who dies suffered from Cotard's syndrome, a neurological disorder.

Per Wiki "Cotard delusion is a rare mental illness in which the affected person hold
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lisa Gardner is one of my favorite authors. So I was very happy to get a D.D. Warren novella while waiting for her next book, Never Tell to come out.

I love D.D. Warren. She is such an amazing character and it was wonderful to get to see her in this short story.

I loved getting to see her funny banter with her husband. And I loved getting to see her with her squad.

You don't need any previous D.D. experience to be able to follow this story (it is a self-contained mystery). Although it is obvious th
Teresa
In a lot of ways, this book was really fun. It was light hearted in a way the series rarely is. It had a locked room, Clue type of vibe that was fun, and the way the story unfolded kept me entertained. I had been leaning to a 4 star read, but the resolution and ending wasn't quite up to par. I enjoyed the book, and I was glad I read it. It got me back into the world of D.D. Warren and her squad (and Alex, Jack, and Kiko)! I'm so ready for the next full length book in February.
Anke
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a long time today I returned to a book, well, short story, by Lisa Gardner. And it was a great read, exactly as I remembered her writing. Then why not 5*? I found the reasoning behind the whole thing was a bit far-fetched. I don't want to say more because of spoilers. What gave me problems was the motive of one of the characters.

LiteraryMarie
A man walks into the police headquarters and tries to convince the squad that's he is dead. Of course they explain to him that he is very much alive and breathing, then send him on his way. But a few hours later, the man turns up actually dead. No, this is not a corny joke. It is the strangest case that Detective D.D. Warren has ever confronted. This is the short story of The Guy Who Died Twice.

Even though this new release is part of the Detective D.D. Warren series, it can be read as a standalo
Kris - My Novelesque Life
I will review once BOOK 10 is published on FEB 19 (Never Tell.
Under the Covers Book Blog
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

Detective D.D. Warren has to tackle one of her strangest cases in this novella. When a man comes into the station claiming he is dead, she tries to convince him otherwise but ultimately sends him home very much alive. However, a few hours later Detective Warren is called to a homicide and discovers that this time the gentleman is very much dead.

T
Megan Leprich
Thank you to Penguin Group Dutton and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This was a super fast read at only 96 pages but I love how Lisa Gardner can pack so much information and interest into such a short story. I have read and loved everything she's written and I loved this book as well.

This whole book is told while Detective D.D. Warren and her husband Alex are sitting on the couch together after work and dinner, drinking a glass of wine to unw
Peggy Jaeger
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to have a peek at Lisa Gardener’s novelette THE GUY WHO DIED TWICE , featuring D.D. Warren and the usual cast of her squad, along with her Hubby.

This was a great short story/novelette, true to the D.D. Warren brand.

A disheveled, distraught man walks into Warren’s precinct one day insisting he has been murdered. When he’s challenged about being alive, he refuses to accept the fact. The police bring him home, alive and well, only to be called to his home several hours later.

What
Emily Wilkinson (Life with Emily)
To be completely honest, when I downloaded this I didn't realize it was a short story. I was really looking forward to binging on another Lisa Gardner book - but I got a quick, short read instead. It wasn't bad, just wasn't what I was expecting. I didn't see the outcome coming. I did appreciate that it was told in DD's POV as she was finding out and as she was re-telling the story to her husband at home.
Stephanie Jenkins Ortiz Cerrillo
Another great read by Lisa Gardner but she never disappoints! Just when you think you know where this plot is headed Gardner throws a couple more curveballs. A fast little read that will leave you wondering what are some of the craziest cases real detectives have come across. Gardner always pulls you in and keeps you riveted.
Anne
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having recently read Never Tell, I was excited for this short story featuring D.D. Warren again. Good suspense in a tale of a man who walks into the police station claiming his is dead; hours later he is found newly dead in his bed. Many suspects, secrets from the past that come to light, and a satisfying conclusion to the murder. Gardner never disappoints!
Rebecca
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the publisher, via Netgalley, for an e-galley of this for an honest review.
This quick story was great for getting back into the D.D. Warren world, and this one seemed to give the characters a chance to show a little more personality than they sometimes have time to do in the serious world they inhabit. Even more excited to get started on Never Tell now!
Evelyn
An Agatha Christie-type closed room mystery.
Shelley
Good whodunnit story while waiting for the book in the series to be released
Elvan
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and clever Agatha Christie-esque novella. Loved this drawing room murder mystery.
Xepherus3
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hello, Fellow Book Worms and Book Dragons!

While I wait for what seems like a million years for Lisa Gardner's new book to arrive, she has graced our reading peepers with a new short novel. I loved 3 Truths and a Lie, the 4th Man, and the 7th Month. Each short novel gave me more of Gardner's characters as I got ready for her latest full-length thriller. In 2019 she has not disappointed.

The Guy Who Died Twice is Lisa Gardner's fourth short novel. It is e-published by Dutton Books, an imprint of
Lou Jacobs
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful modern day game of "Clue" unravels before your eyes. In tongue and check fashion, Lisa Gardner's beloved Detective D. D. Warren seats around in the comfort of her home with husband Alex and discusses the strangest case she has ever had ... " The Guy Who Died Twice" The basic premise: a man walks into the police station trying to convince the squad that he's dead ... shortly after being shooed away, a call comes in that he's dead ... found in his bed with a knife in the back. What fo ...more
  • The Burning Girl (The Hollows - Short Story, #2)
  • The Chef
  • A Bella Flora Christmas (Ten Beach Road, #5.5)
  • Someone Knows
  • Willing to Die (To Die #8)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Seized (The Profiler #3)
  • Legacy: An Anthology
  • Hero's Journey (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #1.5)
  • MacNamara's Woman (Family Secrets, #2)
  • Killing Secrets (Nan Vining Mysteries #5)
  • Some Kind of Wonderful (Cupcake Lovers #3.5)
  • McGrave
  • Fatal Enemy (Jess Kimball Thriller #1)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • Sleep
  • The Ultimatum (Jeremy Fisk #3)
  • The Boy (Broussard and Fourcade, #2)
(1) mystery & thrillers, suspense

aka Alicia Scott

Lisa Gardner is a #1 New York Times bestselling crime novelist. A self-described research junkie, she has parlayed her interest in police procedure and twisted minds into a streak of twenty thrillers. Her latest, NEVER TELL, comes out Feb. 19 2019 and features

Detective D.D. Warren (10 books)
  • Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)
  • Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • Love You More (Tessa Leoni, #1; Detective D.D. Warren, #5)
  • Catch Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #6)
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • Find Her (Detective D.D. Warren, #8)
  • Look For Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #9)
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)