Start by marking “La sinistra segheria. Una serie di sfortunati eventi” as Want to Read:
La sinistra segheria. Una serie di sfortunati eventi

La sinistra segheria. Una serie di sfortunati eventi

(A Series of Unfortunate Events #4)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  126,561 ratings  ·  3,715 reviews
Dear Listener,

If you have chosen to listen to this audio for pleasure, I advise you to put it down instantaneously, because of all the audios describing the unhappy lives of the Baudelaire orphans, The Miserable Mill might be the unhappiest.
This recording contains such unpleasantries as a giant pincher machine, a bad casserole, a man with a cloud of smoke where his head sh
Hardcover
Published January 18th 2018 by Salani (first published April 15th 2000)

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alissa The plots are especially repetitive in the beginning of the series but get better later on. It’s not as rigidly the same and more interesting things…moreThe plots are especially repetitive in the beginning of the series but get better later on. It’s not as rigidly the same and more interesting things happen. You get character development. I’d continue for sure.(less)
Maryam Kath, you could get it at the bookstore or read it in the library.

·  126,561 ratings  ·  3,715 reviews

C.G. Drews
This series is too perfect and it hurts my eyes. Get it?? GET IT??? Because of all the eye symbols in the book? OMG I'M SO FREAKISHLY HILARIOUS. (To myself at least shhhh.)

So I particularly enjoyed my reread of book because it's truly dastardly. And even when I first read them at 14, I loved how dark they could get. They're never graphic, but they are also 500% disturbing when you really think about it.

So just put this together: sawmill + hypnotised Baudelaires + Count Olaf being evil = SURELY
Mischenko
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The children head to Paltryville where they'll meet there new guardian. They arrive at the Lucky Smells Lumbermill where they meet Sir, the owner of the mill. Sir is the Baudelaire's new guardian and the children learn that the mill will be there new place of employment. Once again, the children are told not to worry about Count Olaf and that they'll be kept safe from him.

"The deal is this: I will try to make sure that Count Olaf and his associates never go anywhere near you, and you will work
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I like the idea of the mill but it was just okay. I had the vibe of a horror movie in an old mill so I think this messed up the book for me. Lol.
emma
This is perhaps the most anxiety-inducing book in the most anxiety-inducing series of all time.

There is something about the particular Count Olaf evil plan hijinks in this book that is SO MUCH WORSE to me than all the others?? It’s not so much “fun villainy” to me as it is “extremely stressful stuff of nightmares.”

So not necessarily the most consistently pleasant reading experience.

HOWEVER there is a really cool part of this book! The Baudelaire orphans, up to this point, have very narrow and co
Apr 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids and adults who think like them
Lemony Snicket is fun, it's terribly depressing and highly entertaining. All the books make me feel like I'm 12 again, and I curl up on the couch, laughing out loud and eating gummy bears.
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I adore the development of the Baudelaire kids in this book. That's easily my favorite part. This is also, of all four of my rereads, the book I remembered least so it was fun to really rediscover a lot of the plot elements that I had forgotten.

Also, I have to say I have seen some spoilers for how Charles and Sir are portrayed in the ASOUE show and I'm thrilled. So, overall, I have loved rereading these four books in the series. I can't wait to continue rereading more of them later but jus rere
Mark Lawrence
The Miserable Mill continues the trend of me liking each book less than the previous one in this series.

Don't get me wrong - it's still a fun read with plenty of cleverness and wit, and Celyn still seems to be enjoying me reading her the stories. It's also worth noting that this volume has the lowest average rating on Goodreads of all 13 books in the series, so I'm hopeful things will improve.

In this book the established formula is applied with little or no variation. The bad point, for me, th
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2017, ebook, childrens
The more books I read, the less I like this series. I'm now 100% positive that I didn't read these books as a child. Perhaps if I did, I would like them better now but unfortunately I feel lukewarm at best about this series. I just feel like these stories go around and around in circles and I'm quite tired of it. I like the kids but the story just isn't working for me anymore. This was probably my least favourite book so far but thinking about it now, the mill was probably one of the stronger st ...more
Ashley Daviau
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets more and more miserable as it goes along and I just love it! It still truly astonishes me how horrible the adults in these books are no matter how many times I read them. The way they treat the children is absolutely appalling but I think that's part of the charm of this series. The poor Baudelaires can just never get a break! That's what makes this series real though because a lot of the time in real life, orphans do have terrible experiences and bounce around from home to ...more
Aimee Meester
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, faves, mg, 2016-rereads
a baby uses her teeth to sword fight with a grown woman and and actual sword so really that's all you need to know about why this is a great book
Calista
After reading Lemony Snicket's 'the Dark' I decided to try the Unfortunate events series again. It started out ok and I simply can't believe how ridiculous and outlandish it was. I can handle fantasy, but I like it to be rooted in some sort of reality. I then read that many readers consider this the worst book in the series. I can agree with that so far. I will give another one a go.

Examples. It was the end that was so beyond silly. Sunny, the baby, had a sword fight with her teeth. Claus can ma
Georgina Ortiz
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite insight: It is much, much worse to receive bad news through the written word than by somebody simply telling you, and I'm sure you understand why. When somebody simply tells you bad news, you hear it once, and that's the end of it. But when bad news is written down, whether in a letter or a newspaper or on your arm in felt tip pen, each time you read it, you feel as if you are receiving the news again and again.
Vanz
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
3.8

My least favorite ASOUE book so far. Same style, but different situations. I think the Baudelaire children can really look out for themselves, so the plot needs to get more in depth. Just like the previous book, "The Wide Window", this series is trying to take a darker and more mature lane... so I guess children below 8 years old will not appreciate this book. Nevertheless, it was still a fun read on my part. Still charming and full of misadventures. It's interesting to see what Count Olaf
Lauren
UPDATE: 19/Jan/2017

The review from before is wrong because yes I still liked this book but now that I've read all of the books this one is my least favourite.

6/Dec/2016
I liked this book much more than I expected. It was different from the others and that made me like it.
Coreen  (AsThePlotThickens)
This installment somehow bothers me, this series is a children's book and to write something a little too horrifying for kids is just a "mehh" for me. First, the Baudelaire guardian is basically the cruelest and most useless person ever, the same thing can also be said to Mr. Poe (except he's not cruel, only an idiot)

I don't think I'll read the fifth book soon, but I'll definitely continue the series.

description
Jason Koivu
Feb 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Miserable indeed. Unfortunately this book in A Series of Unfortunate Events takes its title too literally. I enjoyed the first book and love the concept of put-upon children succeeding with no foreseeable hope on the horizon. However, the execution is too formulaic, mill-like if you will. I can put up with the repetition, because the author's bits of wit keep it fun, but this had less wit and more formula than the first three.

Richard Cardenas
3 STARS

This wasn't as good as the first three, that's for sure. I'm hoping that the 5th redeems the fourth and that it's more exciting than this one was. I did love that Count Olaf was in drag haha I'm interested to see how they adapt this one considering it was kind of boring and really felt like a filler book to be honest. I still enjoyed it though. :)

Now on to "The Austere Academy"!!

- Richard
Helly
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love how this seemingly children's fiction manages to deal with adult issues and social Commentary 😃 the Baudelaire orphans are such an Amazing trio, and I hope to read more from this series.
Riley
This one has always been my least favorite of the series
Kelli
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
These books are clever and my children enjoy them. They make our trips up North go by more quickly but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to hang in for all twelve!
Alex
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Miserable Mill is the forth book of A Series of Unfortunate Events. The three orphans, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny, are sent again to a new home that was acquired by Mr. Poe, their guardian. Will the three children finally escape the clutches of Count Olaf, and his dastardly crew? Could Violet, Klaus, and Sunny find their perfect home? Lemony Snicket (author and narrator) states that you can find out a lot of information about a book by it's first sentence, but the title of the novel c
Alaina
The Miserable Mill is the fourth installment of A Series of Unfortunate Events. A lot happened in this book and I'm still a little shook from it.

Now in this book we still have the three kids: Klaus, Violet, and Sunny. However, there's a dash of hypnotism in it as well. A lot of backstabbing characters thrown your way too. Oh, and Count Olaf is sort of like Santa, always around.. watching from afar.. and creepy as fuck.

The one thing I didn't like about this book was the child labor. Thank god t
Rebecca McNutt
The Miserable Mill is my favorite in this series so far. Does anybody recall the criminally underrated 1995 film The Mangler? Well, this book is quite similar. When the orphans find themselves at the doors to the creepy Lucky Smells Lumber Mill (what the hell was Lemony Snicket on when he made that name up???), they find that despite the deplorable conditions, at least Count Olaf is nowhere to be seen... but as usual, they can't evade the grim happening in their situation forever.
Irene△⃒⃘➰
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.5/5

I really wanted to love this one because sounded so much more interesting and exciting that all the others but unfortunately I ended up liking it less.

The theme of the mill and the hypnosis was so cool at first but the development didn't convince me.
This book for me had a lot of potential and the idea was super cool, there's a little horror vibe and of course it was kept low and simple and not too much scary because it's meant for kids but the story was a little repetitive throught the book
Andrew
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so another series I started and never got round to finish is returned to.

Carrying on my challenge to finish series I started and some how never got round to finishing I have now started back on the Series of Unfortunate Events.

I think for me there were a few reasons why I lost motivation with this series - the first is the constant reminders of how bad, how unfortunate, now depressing how... (you get the idea) terrible the life of the Baudelaire orphans has got and is yet to get. I underst
Larissa
I'm not sure I have adequate words to describe my reaction to this book.

I think I need more time to digest. I feel like I stepped out of the Twilight Zone, and I'm suffering from a rare form of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

EDIT: I have now changed my final rating to three stars. After reading book 5, it's become clear to me that the pacing and tone of this book is far too irrepressibly dreary, even for an unhappy story like the Baudelaire's. It felt a lot like being battered by a particularly
These children are going to need therapy.
Katie
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

I think this has been my fave in the series so far!
Kimberley doruyter
my dear god where does po find these people?
it goes from bad to worse.
The Neverlanders: The Miserable Mill - Goodreads Discussion 4 16 Feb 01, 2015 02:10PM
The Neverlanders: The Miserable Mill - Voxer Discussion 1 8 Jan 30, 2015 08:32AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Ironwood Tree
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Sophie's World (Sophie #1)
  • Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4)
  • The Mystery on the Ice (The Boxcar Children Winter Special, #1)
  • Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile - 57 B.C.
  • Speak
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Lemony Snicket
  • The Stowaway Solution (On The Run, #4)
  • Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure (Molly Moon, #3)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
“They're book addicts.” 687 likes
“I'm sure you have heard it said that appearance does not matter so much, and that it is what's on the inside that counts. This is, of course, utter nonsense, because if it were true then people who were good on this inside would would never have to comb their hair or take a bath, and the whole world would smell even worse than it already does.” 104 likes