Start by marking “It's Good to Have a Grandma” as Want to Read:
It's Good to Have a Grandma

It's Good to Have a Grandma

Children and grandmothers love playing together, eating together—just being together. Every time is a special time, for both. This book captures the special moments without sentimentality, but with warmth and love.
Published August 1st 2019 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about It's Good to Have a Grandma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Good to Have a Grandma

Start your review of It's Good to Have a Grandma
La Coccinelle
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
It's Good to Have a Grandma suffers from being a little too general in places. A good portion of the book is spent telling readers what grandmas do. Unfortunately, those things aren't going to apply to everyone. As an adult, I spent a lot of the time reading those sections thinking, "My grandma doesn't do that." Kids are liable to have the same reaction.

The better parts of the book are when the narrator speaks in a more specific tone: e.g., "My grandma..." Then at least we know that kid is speak
Raven Howell
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maryann Macdonald’s It’s Good to Have a Grandpa/It’s Good to Have a Grandma will leave you with a feeling of warmth and comfort. I was pleasantly surprised at the many memories and aspects of grandparent-ing, triggered by the text. Good for both adults sharing with children and a child reading the book on his own, most of these pages are smile-givers.

The flow and rhythm of the text bounce from both soothing to brightly energetic, taking the reader on a fun rollercoaster ride in a loving play la
Darleen Wohlfeil
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grandma, Glam-ma, Mimi or Gigi, whatever name we are bestowed we wear like badges of honor! This book captures the magic that flows from the dynamic union of child and grandparent. Every page delights with the wonder of a love like no other. A treasure to keep!
Paula
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s good to be a Grandma too! What a sweet book.
Shawn Traxler
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I won this book in one of the contests. Thought it would be great for my little granddaughter and I was right. Nicely written and nicely illustrated. Thank you.
Shannon
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded to a 4. This is a sweet children's book that would be a good fit for some families. The illustrations are bright and cheerful. The book highlights some of the joys in a relationship between a grandma and her grandchildren. They cook together, play together and even shop together. Unfortunately, I think this is where the book strays. Some of the situations are too specific. In particular, most Grandma's haven't been to Paris. If I were reading this book to children I would skim ...more
N
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable. Great gift for a new grandparent or new grandchild. Sweet and fun with beautiful, diverse illustrations.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very feel good story about all the things you can do with Grandma. This would make a great story to read for mother's day or with your grandma. ...more
Diana Perry
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly wish every child could have a Grandma like the ones in this delightful book. It’s never too early to teach little ones how to appreciate their loving Grandmas who have such a huge impact on their lives. It shows shared activities from the fun at a beach to just sitting in a comfy chair at home while Grandma tells what life was like when she was their age. Who doesn’t think of their Grandma every time they smell homemade cookies? This Early Reader Level 1 book is a treasure for little one ...more
Kelly
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book highlights many good things about having a Grandma. It's lovely and positive. ...more
Susan
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story about all of the great things associated with having a traditional relationship with a grandmother. Around here there are a lot of grandmas raising their grandchildren, so I would imagine they have a more parental relationship than the ones described in this book.
Tompkins County Public Library Youth Services
This and "It's Good to Have a Grandpa" are two really sweet books about grandmas and grandpas. There are all kinds of grandmas and grandpas in the world. I hope I get to be one someday. If I do, I want to be more like the grandpas than the grandmas in these books, (but they're all really great!) maybe because the book about grandpas set off the strongest feelings for me. Or maybe because the grandmas rode the roller coaster with their grandkids. I can't do roller coasters...
Hey, grandmas and gr
Hilary Nelson
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an ADORABLE children's book about the grandparent qualities they enjoy in their grandma! I think it's sweet, as I've witnessed the importance of a child's relationship with their grandmother. Mine has been my biggest fan and my closest friend since I was brought home from the hospital after a long two week stay in the NICUbdue to being 2 months premature. Shortly after I moved into the house with my parents (after the NICU and the womb,) it wasn't too long until my mom's maternity leave ...more
Clwseattle
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
It's Good to Have a Grandma is very sweet but too specific. I can hear my grands saying/asking 'but Grandma why don't you do that?'. The answer is not all grandma's are alike with the exception of loving our grands. . . although I DO call one of them sweet potato! We love in different ways and traditions and we show our love in different ways as well. I liked It's Good to Have a Grandma well enough, but I won't be buying for my precious grands.

3.5 Stars
Diane
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
“I don’t remember when I didn’t have a grandma. I guess I always did.”

Grandmas are never in a hurry and they know things. Grandmas help when moms are too busy and they let you help, too. Grandmas don’t mind blue frosting, spilled milk or popcorn in the cracks of their couch. And they know that choosing things take a long time.

A celebration of the joy of having grandparents in your life.

Andrea
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a giveaway winner and I thought the story was cute. My baby liked the pictures and it was fun to read.
Miss Sarah
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Children celebrate all the fun things they can do with their grandmothers. Lots of differnt families. preschool and up
Ashley Adams
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Sweet and supportive family message.
Coach D
Dec 22, 2019
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Oct 23, 2019
Lucas
rated it did not like it
Sep 23, 2019

• Talking Texts: A Teachers' Guide to Book Clubs across the Curriculum
  • Talking Texts: A Teachers' Guide to Book Clubs across the Curriculum
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Pencil
  • How Do You Go to Sleep?
  • A Cookie for Santa
  • The Hike
  • The Moon Within
  • How High the Moon

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »