Start by marking “Playing for Keeps” as Want to Read:
Playing for Keeps

Playing for Keeps

I've never been so stupid in my entire life.

Elise Parrish, my teammate's incredibly sweet and gorgeous younger sister, should have been off-limits, but my hockey stick didn't get the memo.

After our team won the championship, our flirting turned physical, and I took her to bed. Then shame sent her running the next morning from our catastrophic mistake.

She thinks I don't
Expected publication: August 13th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Playing for Keeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing for Keeps

Kendall Ryan
May 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
COMING SOON!

Bad boy. Good girl. Hockey romance.

Sarah - Musings of the Modern Belle
***AUDIBLE ORIGINAL REVIEW***

4.5 CROWNS

Kendall does quick and dirty so well, and Playing for Keeps is a great example of that.

Justin and Elise are incredibly likable. Their chemistry together is great, and their need to sneak around and keep their relationship a secret provides many comedic moments.

The plot is relatively straightforward. Sports conflict with the puck bunnies, older brother best friend conflict - all the things we come to expect from the trope. And while the conflicts are expect
Anna Kluskie
May 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
Please 🙏🏻♥ ...more
Ashley
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Justin is the bad boy player whose past makes him gun shy for relationships. Elise has know Justin since she was a little kid and he has been her brothers best friend. Elise has been in love with Justin as since she followed him around when they were kids. She is always kicking puck bunnies out of her brother (Owen) and Justin's apartment. Until one night changes everything...

I enjoyed this story and narration, I am excited to listen to Owen & Becca's story next!!
Ashley
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-package
*My review as posted on Audible*

Fun, Sweet and Sexy!

Elise has had an unrequited crush on her brother’s best friend since her teen years but hockey player Justin has seen her as more of an off limits little sister type until one night after too many drinks finds them hooking up. After some confusion, some setbacks, some time away and neither one being able to let the night go they eventually decide that they are going to try a friends-with-benefits-no-strings-attached arrangement without letting
Kayleigh Morrison
May 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
Can't wait to read
Monique
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a thing for the trope of dating your older brothers best friend, so I was happy to stumble across this Audio. I’m not sure what it is, but I feel it’s the realization that one or both of them have been infatuated from an early age and we get to witness the relationship going to the next level. It’s taking the innocent friendship and making them sensual that takes my fancy. Elise is that girl, the one who has been hanging with her brother and soaking up being as close to Justin as she can. ...more
Keewatin
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elise has loved Justin ever since she followed him around when they were kids. Justin is now a pro hockey player and Elise a teacher. She is always kicking puck bunnies out of her brother (Owen) and Justin's apartment. Until one night changes everything...

Vikki Vaught
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great read with fantastic characters and a excellent plot. The narrator is very good. Happy reading/listening!
Jen
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: The audiobook was provided by the author.

Put together Kendall Ryan's writing and the combined narration of Jason Clarke and Virginia Rose, and you've got a fantastic read about a star pro hockey player and his best friend's younger sister in a secret relationship with all the feels. Playing for Keeps is the first in the author's new Hot Jocks series and it's an Audible Original, meaning the audiobook was released in advance of any eBook or paperback, both of which are slated for release in
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)
First of all, not only is Kendall Ryan an automatic one-click author for me but this audiobook was narrated by Jason Clarke and Virginia Rose, LOVE!!

Pro Hockey player, Justin Brady, is rich, sexy, and completely off limits. But that doesn’t keep Elise, his best friends younger sister, from lusting after him. Apparently the feelings are mutual because after a few shots too many, Elise finds herself in Justin’s room and he’s doing things to her body and mind that she never thought possible.

But wh
Amy [Book Addict Reviews]
I LOVE Kendall Ryan and I was so excited when I found out she was doing a hockey romance series. Playing for Keeps is the first book in the Hot Jock’s series and can be read/listened to as a complete standalone.

Elise has had a crush on her brothers best friend/roommate/teammate Justin since she was a little girl. Justin has always seen Elise as the off limits girl. He grew up with her, her brother is his best friend. He doesn’t want to ruin anything, however, after one night of drinking the lin
Becky
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 6/4/19.

A really fun read--best friend's little sister FTW :)

Playing for Keeps is Justin and Elise's story--he's a pro hockey player, and she's the best friend's bratty little sister who has always been around, and darn it, turned out to be pretty hot in her own right. She's crushed on him for years; his attraction is a little more recent and a drunken hookup just might end everything forever--or will it?

Both Justin and his BFF have quite the reputations as
Shayay
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
NovelMomma
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I'm such a sucker for a good hockey romance, and this did not disappoint! I loved it! Justin and Elise are so freaking hot! I loved that they both had big feelings, but there was such a push and pull between what they wanted and what they thought was right. The dilemma of getting what they wanted without getting hurt or hurting others added a bit of angst to this book without pushing it over the top.

Justin is such a hottie, but he also cares deeply! I loved his relationship with Owen and how imp
kgagnon
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was a funny, sweet and sexy forbidden romance. Elise and Justin have been friends since they were kids. Justin is best friends with Elise's brother, Owen, and the three of them have always been close. Elise and Justin have both harbored secret feelings for the other, until one night with too much drinking, they acted on their feelings. Of course the initial awkwardness afterward was misinterpreted, causing hurt feelings. Now they have a hard time finding that easy closeness they always enjo ...more
Nicole Lynn Hoefs
I thought this was pretty good overall! I’m giving it 4 out of 5 stars. I’m not sure if I’ve heard these narrators before (maybe him), but I enjoyed listening to both. I’m all about sports romances, so I was excited to see a series from Kendall. While I did enjoy the cast of characters, and the fact that Justin played hockey, I expected a little more focus on that aspect. I wanted more ice time, because even though I don't like sports, I enjoy reading about them.

Elise was a good character, and I
Marina Skinner
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook review:

I absolutely loved this audiobook!
Jason’s voice is heaven to listen to and since the female narrator is new to me, I have to say I really love her voice too!
This book was so enjoyable to listen to and the way they narrated made it even more so!
The characters were just fun! Sometimes all you need to listen to is a really good brothers Best friends to lovers romance but this isnt just any book! Oh no, a hockey romance with steam and secrecy and great friendships! Oh yes!!
Does keep
Kara Hildebrand (Two Book Pushers)
Playing for Keeps is Kendall Ryan's new best friend's sister romance. It's a new series, Hot Jocks, of hot, sexy hockey players. It's also out in audio first which I absolutely love! Justin is a rich and famous hockey player. Elise is his best friend's little sister who he's known pretty much his entire life. She's pretty, funny, smart and now that they are older, he's attracted to her. After one amazing night together, he pretends to not remember. He thinks it's the best thing for the both of t ...more
Vera Blaz
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Elise has had a crush on Justin since she knew what crushes were. Justin is her brother Owen's best friend and hockey teammate. There's that bro code that shouldn't be broken, but they cracked that code one night after a team win. Only thing is, they both pretend that it didn't happen. After spending a few months in awkward situations, they decide to embark on the friends with benefits train... all without Owen knowing. They each have their issues to work through, not to mention breaking the new ...more
Ryan - Sweet Red Reader
This is my favorite Kendall Ryan book I’ve read in a while!! Justin and Elise are too cute, sports romance is my jam, and sibling’s best friend/best friend’s sibling romances are amongst my fave tropes so this had all the ingredients to be great. Add to that FANTASTIC sexy times, appropriate angst, and a couple who handles their sitch maturely (or as maturely as possible while trying to be on the DL) took Playing For Keeps over the top. And the narration is PERF. Now, I’m simultaneously reading ...more
Virna
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really was looking forward to this story. Justin was nice, Elise not so much, she has a bit of sailor mouth, but It was too much about her Insecurities, her complain, about him been a manwhore and puck bunny and other things, her brother was worse, she want to keep her relationship a secret creating problems between them, would have not been bad if the romance had progressed evenly along the way. It was 85% into the story before there was any progress about her filling that was so brief as wel ...more
Sara ✨ Next Book Review Blog ✨
******** AUDIOBOOK REVIEW ********

Playing for Keeps by Kendall Ryan is one of my favorites out of all her more recent books. I immediately loved both main characters. Elise and Justin have this major friendship-relationship going on… I mean, they’ve been friends since Elise was in pig tails and Justin was running around with her brother Owen. See… instant friends! However, they’ve been denying themselves for years now… they both follow the other with their eyes and look at areas… way friendlier
Wendy Douglas
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed this book. It took the pro hockey lifestyle, mingled it with a favorite trope (best friend's little sister), and done with good writing, sympathetic characters, and done in a fun way. The story wasn't cliched, but it gave enough of what I expected of a hockey star romance that I was immediately captivated.

I listened to the audiobook. Jason Clarke did a great job, as always, and Virginia Rose was wonderful, as well.

I loved the secondary characters, look forward to meeting them a
Denise
3.5 - 4 stars

I’m pretty new to Kendall Ryan’s books and when this popped up as an audible first, I decided to give it a go. The story had a few tropes that I enjoy — friends to lovers, best friends younger sister and sports. The story flowed well and the side characters have me wanting their stories.

Narration on this one was great. I’ve listened to Virginia Rose before and I enjoyed her. Jason Clarke, however, was my first listening to him and I will definitely be adding him to narrators list.
Heather
'Playing for Keeps' is quintessentially Kendall Ryan: sexy, relatively entertaining, and formulaic. It's fine, but just that. There's absolutely nothing in the novel that you can't find in dozens of others. It's a story of a hockey player who falls for his best friend's little sister (who has always had a crush on him). Sound familiar? Uh, yeah.

Luckily it's part of Audible's Romance Package so it was free.

Themes: hockey, best friend's little sister (off limits), Seattle, preschool teacher
ellieisuhmabookworm
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kendall-ryan
Final Score - 4 Stars!

I enjoyed the overall dialogue between the voice actors and the storyline. I just wish that there were more interaction between the two - in the sense that the female lines are read/spoken by the females and the male lines by the males.

It’s just still so funny to me to hear the opposite sex performing in a falsetto or deep bass voice. However none of this takes away from the performances. Both were stellar and exceptional.
Reemah
3.5 Stars! Oh Kendall Ryan thank you. Justin is a hockey player who has the reputation of being a playboy. Then you have Elise who if the sweet girl next door pre school teacher. Justin, Owen(Elise's brother), and Elise have been friends forever. So the relationship between Justin and Elise is complicated. I loved how the story unfolded. I loved the supporting characters! Excited for the rest of the stories in the series to see where life takes everyone.
Isha Coleman
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The heartache that keeps on giving turns into a love story not easy to forget. This time around Ryan tones done the laughter and amps up the angst. For Elise and Justin, a night to remember becomes a morning full of regrets. Can these two lifetime friends salvage their relationship before more heartbreak ensues? Playing for Keeps pulls out all the stops when it comes to emotions. From sexy to sentimental, Ryan and company delivers the goods. ONE CLICK, ALL THE WAY!
J Ashlie
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So so good!!! What's not to love?
Hockey hottie, brothers best friend, virgin romance... not kidding yall, its 👌🏻😍🔥😍👌🏻!! The scene at her school, holy swoon! I love those small details in a story that help you get to know the characters deeper!
I cant wait for the next book in the series! Hopefully we get to know owen better!!
A New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author of more than two dozen titles, Kendall Ryan has sold over 3 million books and her books have been translated into several languages in countries around the world. Her books have also appeared on the New York Times and USA Today bestseller lists more than three dozen times. Ryan has been featured in such publications as USA Tod ...more