Start by marking “The Twisted Ones” as Want to Read:

The Twisted Ones

When a young woman clears out her deceased grandmother’s home in rural North Carolina, she finds long-hidden secrets about a strange colony of beings in the woods in this chilling novel that reads like The Blair Witch Project meets The Andy Griffith Show.

When Mouse’s dad asks her to clean out her dead grandmother's house, she says yes. After all, how bad could it be?

Answer
Expected publication: October 1st 2019 by Gallery / Saga Press

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Oct 01, 2019
    True Detective meets Sharp Objects, THE TWISTED ONES is an immersive horror novel set in the American south. Inspired by a classic horror story called ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 1625 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 16 - Sep 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Twisted Ones, please sign up.
    Recent Questions
    This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

karen
    i don’t usually dig folk horror—i find it too understated; too quaint and stylized to be entertaining, let alone scary, but this book is refreshingly modern and legit creepy. i wasn’t scared-scared, since whatever part of a person that regulates the ability to be scared by books/movies seems to be broken in me, but i can wholly appreciate effective horror atmosphere, and this is FULL of skin-crawlingly memorable images and phrases, and some wonderful surprises.

i’ve read several short stories on
    Fran
    Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    In the backwoods of North Carolina stood the house of Melissa's estranged dead grandmother. Melissa aka Mouse, with her Redbone Coonhound "Bongo" in tow, arrived in her pick-up truck to clean out the house as per her father's request. Grandma,"a nasty piece of work" who was "mean as a snake" was a hoarder. The house was a virtual firetrap; storage bins piled "knee high", newspapers "piled in neatly tied stacks", and "a room of dolls, dead dolls with hyper-realistic faces peeking out from behind ...more
    Racheal
    In my mind I roughly categorize supernatural horror into two main groups: Babadook-style horror and Cabin in the Woods-style horror.

Babadook-style horror is the kind that starts out right off the bat with a low-grade, unceasing tension, and it usually follows one or more Very Unhappy People. You see the characters and think- do they really need to go through even more shit? Their lives already kind of suck. But the story often relies at least to some extent on the narrative mystery of "is this s
    Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
    I am NOT generally a fan of horror novels, but I am a fan of T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon), and that was enough to convince me to give this a try. And it is seriously creepy!

This book has a great main character, Melissa or “Mouse,” with an appealing voice and an excellent job.
    I’m a freelance editor. I turn decent books into decently readable books and hopeless books into hopeless books with better grammar. It’s a living.
    Mouse has a truly wonderful and loyal - if sometimes dimwitted - coonh
    Sheila
    Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4 spooky stars. I really enjoyed this one!

Then I made faces like the faces on the rocks, and I twisted myself about like the twisted ones, and I lay down flat on the ground like the dead ones...

This is a retelling--or rather, a sequel--to Arthur Machen's 1904 short story, The White People. (You don't need to know anything about the original story to enjoy this novel, though. I hadn't read it when I read this novel--though I did go back and read it later.) The book alternates between dark fantasy
    Elle's Book Blog
    Release Date: October 1, 2019
    Genre: Horror/Fantasy

Unfortunately, this book just didn't do it for me. I love the MC because she had a great personality and a snarky attitude but I didn't care how the book felt more fantasy than horror. Sure there were a few moments that gave me the chills (especially at the beginning)

but those chills didn't
    Rachel  Drenning
    Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you Netgalley for the ARC of this book. This was a great, mysterious tale. The book pays homage to Arthur Machen's short story The White People. It was definitely a page turner. A lot of humor in this one. The main character's personality I adored. Definitely recommend.
    Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
    I received a free e-ARC through NetGalley from the publishers at Saga Press. Trigger warnings: death, animal death, gore, blood, violence, rape (implied), abduction, guns, fires.

When Mouse agrees to clean out her dead grandmother’s house in rural North Carolina, she has no idea how bad it is. Her grandmother was a borderline hoarder, and the house will take weeks to clear out on her own, with no internet, a sketchy cell phone signal, and no close neighbors other than a nearby hippie commune. She
    Jen
    Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Insanely, effectively creepy. 4 solid, scary stars!
    amanda
    Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    “You have trespassed into deep places, and the only way out is deeper still.”

This was a hell of a creepy read. Of course, it's to be expected by a book called The Twisted Ones. I immediately conjured thoughts of Uzumaki by Junji Ito in my mind and to be fair, I wasn't far off. If I had to compare this book to anything it would be a mashup of Uzumaki and The Blair Witch Project. Creepy woods? Check. Haunted ass effigies? Double check. Body morphing on its own into a caricature of undeniable horro
    April A.  Taylor
    Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    The Twisted Ones is going to end up on a lot of “Best Horror Books of 2019” lists, and deservedly so. It’s definitely one of the most entertaining horror novels of the year, which is due in large part to Kingfisher’s brilliant blend of humor and horror.

I loved the characters, especially Foxy, the happy goth, and the dog, Bongo. The main character, Mouse, is also someone you can root for, even if she doesn’t always make the best decisions.

Making Mouse an editor gave this book a nice extra dimen
    NhaughtyV says Damn the Zon Save the Reviews
    3.5 Stars

“It’s a bit awkward figuring out how to sleep when there might be monsters outside. Do you sleep? Do you stay up all night and risk seeing them? Do you turn the lights on to scare it away or turn the lights off so that it thinks no one’s home?”

After the passing of her grandmother, Mouse has been set with the task of cleaning out her house. Set in the woods of rural North Carolina, Mouse is shocked to discover her not so well liked grandmother was secretly a hoarder. Boxes of rubbish and
    Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
    I really wanted to love The Twisted Ones but I have to admit that I struggled a bit with this one. 🙁

When Mouse’s dad asked her to clean out her grandmother’s house she never imagined the problems she would encounter. First, her grandmother was a hoarder and the place was a horrible mess. Second, there is something spooky in the woods.

While Mouse is cleaning her grandmother’s house she finds her stepgrandfather’s journal and it sounds like the rambling of an old man who may have been be on the ve
    Lauren
    Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Electronic ARC provided by NetGalley.

I was going to give this book four stars at first, but upped it to five since I finished reading it a few weeks ago and it is still sticking with me. "The Twisted Ones" is a great creepy folk horror novel from T. Kingfisher. While some of her earlier outings have contained elements of horror (ie, retellings of stories like Bluebeard), this is her first full on nothing but horror book, and it is incredibly creepy and memorable.

The setup for this story is sim
    Jackie
    Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I received an ARC of this book at San Diego Comic Con. There were no requirements of a review, but I do want to note that I got this book for free from Saga Press.

This book starts a bit slow. There's a lot of 'if I'd known' content that isn't all that needed - we know we're going into something scary - and there's a lot of trying very hard to artificially build up suspense. It's weak at the beginning, and it undermines some of the fear because it's clear the narrator is speaking from after the s
    John Hawkins
    Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I would like to thank NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of The Twisted Ones.

The Twisted Ones is a folk horror novel set in backwoods North Carolina. I could not get enough of Mouse's personality! I loved this caffeine addicted, dog-loving, strong-willed protagonist!
    Mouse receives the news that her grandmother has passed and she is needed to lend a favor to her father to help clean out the house so they can figure out their next move. Turns out her grandmother was a hoarder and it is a rathe
    Marianne
    Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3.5 rounded up for great characters

This wasn’t at all what I was expecting. I request so many titles from NetGalley, mostly thrillers, and sometimes I forget the premise, other times maybe I didn’t look closely enough to begin with...

I remember thinking before I started this that I was in for a treat of twisted psycho commune hippies in the woods. Yeah, this wasn’t that. This is really science fiction, fairy tale territory. Some reviewers are saying it was terrifying. It was creepy and suspensef
    Judy
    Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
    Kingfisher is a great storyteller and the story moves along drawing you into this, of course, unbelievable world. It's told in a folksy kind of voice which suits the setting of rural North Carolina perfectly. Mouse is an editor who was asked by her Dad to clean out her grandmother's house. When she gets there she realizes her grandmother is a hoarder and stuff is stacked everywhere, blocking doors and stairs and windows. This is going to be a huge job!

During the cleanup she finds her step-grand
    Leann
    Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I received this eARC from netgalley.

Mouse has been asked by her father to clean out her recent Grandma's home. She was not expecting the hoarding conditions that awaited her. Shortly after arriving strange things start happening. The woman walking in the woods, a creature looking in her bedroom and hanging in the woods. But when her dog returns with a note under his collar asking for help she's definitely not expecting what's to come.

I went into The Twisted Ones expecting creepy monsters in the
    Megan Taylor
    Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Kookie9200
    Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book.

I am still unsure of how I feel about the book. Mouse goes to NC to clean out her hoarder grandmother's house after her death and discovers that something evil lurks in the woods behind the house. I loved the characters of Mouse and Foxy, and Bongo the dog. Their snark and general wit kept me afloat at times.

The writing is good. I liked the characters. I just,...maybe this just wasn't the right book for me? I don't usual
    Liz
    Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I received this book as an arc at my place of work. It caught my eye because I've been really wanting to read more horror lately, and it has a lovely cover.

At first I figured it would be a quick read, since I'm not generally unsettled by horror in books the way I am in films. Boy was I wrong. I spent my time with this one, dragging out reading sessions over the course of three days. I didn't want to leave it at all. It has a great build up in it's atmosphere. At first you think it won't be so b
    Mommacat
    Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Review Copy

How can I put this simply? I freaking loved THE TWISTED ONES!

It's a horror novel that crosses the line into dark fantasy and has much needed comic relief in places to reduce tension. And unlike some authors, the humor isn't stupid or juvenile.

The writing was flowed seamlessly with strong character development. I loved where the author led me (by the nose) and where I ended up (right where she wanted me).

If you're looking for something new and different to read, stop right here and
    John Hawkins
    Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

Annie
    Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Mouse's father asks her to clean out her deceased hoarder grandmother's house and discovers her grandfather's journal, filled with creepy notes about things in the woods. I'm not usually a fan of "horror" but I really enjoyed the writing style of this one and it was an unusual plot, for me. I didn't really think it was scary, but it was weird. I'd probably read something more by this author. Four stars.
    Robert
    Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I enjoyed the premise, but the delivery was too flippant for me, too unintentionally YA. I found the main character’s forced humor to be a distraction and found it unsuited for the atmosphere the story needed.
    Heather Bennett
    Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The Twisted Ones is a great creepy book that I could not put down. There are interesting characters and the plot is interesting.
    Edna
    Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Whoa ho ho. A creepy book. It had me looking over my shoulder. Nice read and I did a new speed read to finish.

Thanks, NetGalley for the advance copy to review.
    Susan
    Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: proofreading
    Did not like.
    Christine
    Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Very creepy! I enjoyed the main character’s on going dialogue with the reader. I wished for a few more answers at the end but overall this book had me rapt.
    T. Kingfisher is the vaguely absurd pen-name of Ursula Vernon. In another life, she writes children's books and weird comics, and has won the Hugo, Sequoyah, and Ursa Major awards, as well as a half-dozen Junior Library Guild selections.

This is the name she uses when writing things for grown-ups.

When she is not writing, she is probably out in the garden, trying to make eye contact with butterflies