Start by marking “Rising Water: The Story of the Thai Cave Rescue” as Want to Read:
Rising Water: The Story of the Thai Cave Rescue

Rising Water: The Story of the Thai Cave Rescue

The incredible true story of the twelve boys trapped with their coach in a flooded cave in Thailand and their inspiring rescue.

On June 23rd, 2018, twelve members of the Wild Boars soccer team and their coach were exploring the Tham Luang Nang Non cave complex in northern Thailand when disaster struck. A rainy season downpour flooded the tunnels, trapping them as they took
Audiobook
Published March 19th 2019 by Simon Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about Rising Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising Water

Betsy
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unrealized potential. Story is riveting, but the set up takes a while, and the tone stays rigidly journalistic until the end when there are some obvious political statements made. I wish we'd been plunged into the action from the first moment.
Alicia
Reviewing for professional magazine, so read my GLOWING review in SLC magazine!
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}
I liked this, but I wish it'd been less about spirituality/religion and had more details about the actual events.
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-mt-bookpile
The author admits this was rushed into print and, well, it shows. There are some weird moments that taking more time could have avoided, like the discussion of what "stateless" means ("undocmented immigrants" would not have been my first comparison), or what the various ethnic groups the boys were and what that meant (historically and today). Even weirder was his mentioning of Elon Musk's Twitter activities in a passing - if you're going to talk about Musk's attempted involvement in the rescue a ...more
Jenny
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the average star rating for my 5th Grade Language Arts class. I used this as a nonfiction read aloud. The students were highly engaged in the story; however, there were so many names and high level vocabulary that I think some found it difficult to follow. The book was very well researched.

Thank you, Edelweiss+ and Atheneum Books for Young Readers for providing me with an advanced copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Dhartridge
This book emphasizes the cooperation between skilled rescue teams from different countries all over the world that resulted in the rescue of a Thai boys soccer team trapped in a cave that had partly filled with water due to a sudden storm. The world was gripped by this dramatic story as it took place over a number of days and all were rooting for the safety of the boys and their coaches.
This author wrote Deep, Down, Dark, about the Chilean miner rescue, which was more interesting to me as it fo
Maggie
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aronson's writing is impeccably factual, and he is very careful to take a global, as opposed to an American-centric, view of the event. But for a variety of reasons, some related to the (understandable) rush to publish, we do not learn much about the personal, inner lives of the major players in this story. Aronson explains his reasoning behind the way he told the story and how he researched it in an afterward; it is one of the most interesting parts of the book. While I commend Aronson for the ...more
Tonja Drecker
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The difficulties, tension, hope and fears of what happened at the Thai Caves comes to life along with many details and explanations of what the rescuers and boys truly faced.

The Thai Cave rescue of the boy's soccer team brought the world together as they not only followed the rescue attempts through the media, but many flew in to offer their support and real help. The background of the caves and the boys offers insight and understanding as to their original adventure, while many more explanation
Dorine White
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On June 23, 2018 , twelve young members of the Wild Boars soccer team in Thailand, along with their assistant coach, went cave exploring. Inside the Tham Luang cave system they advanced down well worn paths heading toward adventure. Unknown to them, during the few hours they were inside, an early storm hit and flooded the entrance and several of the interior chambers. When they tried to leave, they were trapped. Stuck in a far chamber of the caves, there was no way to get through the tight spots ...more
Becky B
An account of the rescue of the 12 boys and their coach who were trapped in a cave in northern Thailand when rains flooded their way out in June 2018.

This account tries to give an equal look at all the different countries and groups involved in the cave rescue. It was written very quickly in order to be one of the first accounts to hit the book market. Aronson talks about the pressure and downfalls of writing on such a short schedule in notes at the end. This is a pretty succinct account of the
Deena Lipomi
On June 23, 2018, twelve children and teenage soccer players and their coach entered the Tham Luang caves in Thailand after a practice game, where they became trapped when the caves flooded during a rainstorm. Over the next week, divers, military, scientists, and rescue workers from across the world would work together to save them. With photographs, quotes, and tension despite knowing the outcome, Aronson provides a concise version of this harrowing true story. The way the people were rescued w ...more
Pauline
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 2018 when the Thai boys and their coach were trapped in a flooded cave the world watched with bated breath. This story, modified for a younger reader audience, outlines what happened over the period of time that they were missing and the daring research mission to rescue them. Through extensive interviews, news reports and stories Marc Aronson brings to life the people involved in this true life drama. It’s a fascinating read and will appeal to anyone who followed the story at the time or tho ...more
Nancy
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is, in and of itself, an amazing story of survival and a world that united to save a soccer team from Thailand from an impossible flooded cave. The facts are well written and the characters are well represented. It didn't grab my attention, probably because I already knew the story. For someone who didn't know the story it might be a much more interesting read. For me, it was just rehashing the news that I followed intently during the crisis.
Lisa
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I followed this story last summer; it was fascinating! Aronson's book had many details that were missed in the ever changing news. I appreciated his attention to the global response, telling the stories of so many who showed up to help without an invitation. It was a little dry, perhaps because he was asked to finish it quickly - or perhaps he chose not to exploit the team with sensationalism. There is some political lecture at the end, but it's brief.
Kate Schwarz
This was a quickly-written (that doesn’t mean poorly-written) account of the rescue efforts for the dozen Thai soccer players who got trapped inside a cave in June/July 2018. The fascinating, complex, international, dangerous rescue effort makes for a great read.

This a YA book, I think, but appropriate for middle grade readers who are more advanced.
Ariel
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a fast paced and interesting look at the Thai cave rescue, focusing mostly on the rescuers and their process of how to get the soccer team out of the cave, but talked a bit too about the boys, how they got stuck, and their thoughts and feelings. This is the perfect bite sized information piece to learn about the event.
Poodle
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always had wanted to know about the soccer team that got trapped in the caves. I found this book informative about the DIVING process, and less about the boys themselves. It could have had more excitement.
Amy
After following this story in the media for days and days last summer, it was really interesting to have all the facts and information laid out in chronological order with so many back stories. It definitely gives you an astounding realization of the miracles that happened in rescuing these boys.
Ranette
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If the author had not written so negatively in the last chapter this would have received a 5 star rating. The way so many nations and experts came together was an inspiration. The boys were all rescued after many days caught in a cave.
Debbie Armbruster
An interesting story, but an underwhelming account.
Joan
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book moves very slowly and is overly technical in descriptions at times.
Jenny Yergin
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a very well written account of the Thai Cave Rescue. A good narrative nonfiction read for middle grade students. We need more books like this for this age group.
Katherine
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A phenomenal description of the cave rescue itself, bolstered by sharp commentary on the political and cultural implications of so many countries rallying together to save the boys and their coach. This would be a great book to introduce students to the concept of bias in reporting.
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and without information overload.
Melissa
Allison
Jun 21, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Rising Water: The Story of the Thai Cave Rescue 1 1 Jun 21, 2019 04:05PM
Aronson has won many awards for his books for young readers and has a doctorate in American history. His lectures cover educational topics such as mysteries and controversies in American history, teenagers and their reading, the literary passions of boys, and always leave audiences asking for more.