Start by marking “The Stranger Inside” as Want to Read:
The Stranger Inside

The Stranger Inside

Even good people are drawn to do evil things ... Twelve-year-old Rain Winter narrowly escaped an abduction while walking to a friend's house. Her two best friends, Tess and Hank, were not as lucky. Tess never came home, and Hank was held in captivity before managing to escape. Their abductor was sent to prison but years later was released. Then someone delivered real justi ...more
Published September 17th 2019 by Park Row

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger Inside, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michele Taylor She said she buried it, locked it up in a box in her head like her father told her to do. Then when it was time for her to unlock the memories, she to…moreShe said she buried it, locked it up in a box in her head like her father told her to do. Then when it was time for her to unlock the memories, she told Hank she wanted to control the version and ending of the story. I guess she didn't want anyone else to go digging. They already had the FBI detective suspicious of Hank(less)

Start your review of The Stranger Inside
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m already having a song for this song: “And I wonder I wa wa wa wonder, why a why why why why she wrote this book and I wonder why she published this! “ Just a second, they put cuffs on my hands because I restricted the copyrights of My Runaway song! Oh come on, I didn’t steal the words! This is my cover version for an innocent reader had frustrated feeling after reading a book she highly anticipated!

So as a bail I left my three stars at the station and ran away, ran ran ran ran away! (What ki
Norma
Holy Shooty Balls!! Suspenseful, tense, & compulsively readable!

THE STRANGER INSIDE by LISA UNGER is an engrossing, fantastic, tension-filled, dark, and thrilling novel that was absolutely unputdownable. I was immediately sucked into the narrative and devoured every single page of this highly entertaining book. I was fully immersed in this story--I don’t think my mind wandered even once while I was reading this book.

LISA UNGER delivers a vividly descriptive, atmospheric, intriguing, well-writte
Lisa
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
My thanks to Harlequin and Netgalley. Seriously, the fact that I'm thanking Harliquin for a good book is surreal. Harlequin? This can't be the Harlequin books from my youth?
Anywho..
I've only ever read one Lisa Unger book, and I liked it. A lot. Red Hunger? I don't know, something along those lines. I'd have to check, and right now I just don't care!
I liked this book. Quite a bit.
In all honesty, I was a wee bit sick when I read this. Not a biggie. But, it was 3 weeks or more ago. I liked the m
Michelle
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have started and deleted this review at least four times now so I have decided that I'm going to skip plot points because I feel like anything I do say is going to be a spoiler and nobody wants that!

Revenge.

Justice.

Good vs. Evil.

An eye for an eye.

Did you like Dexter? I sure as heck did and that's the situation we have going on here but there is so much more to this story. In fact, there is a lot going on which is why this is such a difficult review to write. We've got quite a few character
Kaceey
3.5*
A frightful, harrowing read that will leave you believing monsters do indeed exist!

Rain believed she knew how to deal with her past. Put it behind her. Quit dwelling on it. Look to the future...not back. But often, despite your best efforts, the past has a troubling way of creeping back into your life!

Lisa Unger writes a dark and terrifying novel dealing with the loss of innocence, and the evil that lurks around every corner!
Though this wasn’t a favorite from this author, it’s still well wor
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
5 spectacular stars!

An engrossing, suspenseful, tension-filled, pulse-pounding, addictive novel!

Rain Winter is a stay-at-home mom who resigned from her high pressure career as an investigative journalist when she had her daughter, Lily. Though she loves being home with Lily, she finds herself drawn into a new murder case that could be linked to past cases.

I was hooked from page 1! The way this book is narrated is brilliant! The tension builds as each chapter progresses. I loved the characters! I
Paromjit
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have heard a lot about Lisa Unger, but had never read her crime fiction before, a matter I rectified by reading her latest, this twisted psychological suspense novel about justice, judgement, vigilantism, ghosts, trauma, and mental health issues. Rain Winters, married to Greg, is a former news producer and journalist, now a stay at home mom with her baby, Lily, determined to provide her with a safe, secure and loving environment. When working in her job, she was partnered with her best friend, ...more
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
WaHoo! Hot dang that was good!!

The Stranger Inside is a unique, clever and compelling character study into good people who do bad things. From the start I was drawn into the minds of our main characters, Rain and Hank and their behaviour. Both are dealing in different ways with the childhood trauma they endured involving each other. An avenger killer is unmasked from the start. It’s all about the reveal after that as Rain revisits their memories from their past. The lines are blurred here betwee
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Holy shit snacks!

Lisa Unger has done it again; she's good at these books peeps. Wow, how in the frig am I going to say anything without a spoiler <-- yeah, it's one of those.

Okay, short and TTP:

I'm not going to keep telling everyone what the books about, who the MC is, just read it on the summary.

This book was a mind game but a good one. The MC has some stuff when they were young which leads to more stuff when they are older. Don't y'all love when I make no sense?!

Let me just say this book
Susanne  Strong
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3 Stars

Rain’s past is something she would love to put behind her - she and her friends were abducted when they were twelve years old. If only it were that simple. She got out, almost unscathed. Her old friend Hank wasn’t as lucky but he survived. The same can’t be said for their friend Tess.

Now, Rain is a stay at home mom whose investigative journalist skills come in handy when she starts working on a case of a murderer who escaped justice. Reminders of her past are all around her and soon Rain
Carole
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
The Stranger Inside by Lisa Unger is psychological fiction at its best, taking the reader on a roller-coaster of emotions and tension. When Rain Winters was twelve, her two close friends Tess and Hank were abducted while the trio was walking in the woods. Rain escaped but Hank and Tess were taken by a vicious killer. Hank was able to escape eventually but Tess never returned. Years later, Rain, a journalist on leave, is a stay-at-home wife and mother, when a murderer who escaped justice is kille ...more
Chris
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s not often that I'm stunned by the ending to a novel and think to myself, 'Wow. That caught me off-guard.’ But The Stranger Inside is rich with surprises from the very first page: it’s a smart, taut thriller about those wounds we carry inside us that sometimes just don't heal.
Stephanie
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
rounded up to 4.5 Stars

The Stranger Inside is an intricately layered psychological thriller that will keep you riveted from start to finish. It's a story of survival, the impact of survivor's guilt, and the lingering impact of childhood trauma and violence at the hands of a monster. The book is absorbing, suspenseful, and utterly compelling. More than anything, it will leave you questioning what exactly is justice in the face of evil and does evil deserve their fates.

Rain Winter is a survivor o
Ceecee
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What an amazing read that kept me interested and intrigued from the opening few paragraphs right to the end. The book started with what you assume to be a justice seeker, redressing the errors of law courts in a very orderly, well organised murder of Steve Markham who got away with murdering his wife. This seemed to connect to other so called justice killings. The story then switched to the central characters of the book, Rain (Lahraine/Lara now a stay at home mum, but was an investigative ...more
Whispering Stories
Rain Winter was a high profiled investigative journalist until she left the profession to care for her new baby daughter. When the main suspect, that was found not guilty in a murder case she had been following over a year before is found dead in his home the public believe justice has been served, however, Rain is intrigued by his death, especially when it seems that he was murder in the same way his victim had been murdered.

Rain follows her instincts whilst fighting against wanting to return t
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did it! I read my first book by Lisa Unger! And I loved it!

While Rain Winter (pretty name, right?) escaped an abduction attempt, her two friends, Tess and Hank, did not. Hank eventually was able to escape, but Tess never came home. The abductor was found and sent to prison, and upon his release, he was murdered.

In the present, Rain is living what looks to be the perfect life. She’s a stay-at-home mom with a young daughter. And then another murderer is found dead, and Rain just can’t shake it.
Erin
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Lisa Unger strikes again! Fantastic plot, intriguing characters and I am left with all types of positive emotions and thoughts.

When a man is found dead in his home, the police and journalists are left with many questions while the court of public opinion feels justice has finally been served. More interesting still is that there might be similar crimes. Is it possible a vigilante is out there healing the wounds juries could not.

Oh, I liked this one as it introduced me to all kinds of people and
Tammie
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Stranger Inside, a mystery/thriller book was a solid 5 stars. This is the 6th book that I’ve read by author Lisa Unger and she certainly doesn’t disappoint.
The Stranger Inside centers around main character Rain Winter, a stay-at-home mother and former journalist. Rain has had a very interesting childhood-she is the daughter of a famous writer and a survivor of a near abduction, though her two friends were not so lucky.
The mystery in The Stranger Inside, involves the murder of criminals that
Lisa
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Unger has done it again with The Stranger inside it was a fast paced read which kept me glued to each page . The prose kept me invested & the characters were well written. Loved the way Miss Unger went into the minds of a psychopath & the Victims as they struggled to move on from their nightmare that fatal day, one survived Tess didn't. A murder pinned one man but there was a second copy cat killer one the loose. This was one roller coaster ride from start to finish. ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 to 4 Stars

This is my first Lisa Unger book and even though I got it months before it was due to come out, mysteries and thrillers have always held a certain dark alure for me and I just couldn't wait to read it.

Cautiously but excitedly I dived right into the story and after the very first chapter, I was hooked and knew that I wasn't going to be able to put it down.

I'm so glad I took a chance on this author, on this story. It really was captivating and while I did see certain things coming,
Linda Strong

The man was sent to prison but years later he was released. A year after that, someone delivered real justice and killed him in cold blood.

Another brutal murderer who escaped justice is found dead.

When Rain was 12 years old, she was targeted by a criminal. She escaped, but he managed to take the two friends she was with him. One came back .. the other did not.

Because these murders are suspiciously similar to what happened to her, she is forced to remember the horrors of that one night.

This is a
Bkwmlee
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, fiction

This is the third book of Lisa Unger’s that I’ve read and while I liked this one better than her previous one ( Under My Skin , which came out last year), I would have to say my favorite is still The Red Hunter , which I read 2 years ago. With The Stranger Inside , Unger once again delivers a compelling story of psychological suspense that sets itself apart from other books in the genre through the oftentimes morally ambiguous characters she depicts — characters that often find themselv
Darinda
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rain is a stay-at-home mom, but misses her work as a reporter. When the suspected killer in a case she once worked is found murdered, she is drawn back into the case. To complicate matters, the recent murder is similar to an old case that Rain had a personal connection to. Rain is consumed with finding the killer.

Rain is taking a break from work to stay home with her child, but her reporter instincts kick in when a vigilante killer seems to be on the loose. The recent murder of a suspected kille
Kendall
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This is my second book by Lisa Unger and have to say that I felt pretty similar to both books I've read by her.

This is a nail biting thriller that is dark, mysterious, and a battle between good vs evil. It was a fun chase that left you wondering who, what, where, why. But, what killed it for me? The CONSTANT repetition of the story. My goodness we get it as readers about the feelings and inner thoughts. Yikes.. I was super annoyed by the end and the story was just wayyyyy tooo long.

I was bummed
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
There's a GIVEAWAY for this book on my Insta!

Okay, friends, I’m going to let you in on an embarrassing secret. This is my first Lisa Unger book. There is no good reason for this. It just happened to have worked out that way. I’ve always wanted to read one of her books. So when the opportunity came up for me to join the blog tour for The Stranger Inside, I jumped on it! Welcome to my stop.

There was a lot to love about this book. I’m always drawn to books that feature some sort of vigilante justic
Emma
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Bad people win. They win all the time.

Rain Winter was outraged by the not-guilty verdict that allowed Steve Markham to get away with killing his wife and their unborn child. Her investigation of the murder had left her with no doubts about his guilt, the injustice of his freedom and the inevitable media circus that gifted him the celebrity spotlight leaving her feeling sickened and powerless. Taking time out from journalism to care for her husband and baby seemed like a welcome and nece
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

I finally read my first Lisa Unger book!! The Stranger Inside was hard to put down, super suspenseful, and some moments were positively pulse-pounding, especially the flashbacks.

The Stranger Inside was a thriller that had so many layers, and I constantly wondered where the book was going. I figured out right away who the male voice was so there isn't really a secret there, but a few of the other things that you find out later I didn't see coming at all. I really enjoyed Unger's writ
DeAnn
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 childhood trauma stars

I have read a few other books by Lisa Unger and I think she is a great writer in this genre. For this book, we meet our main character, Rain, a radio journalist on hiatus while she takes care of a new baby. We get some clues about a childhood tragedy for Rain (that she’s tried to bury) and eventually we learn why she is so invested in a recent story about vigilante justice.

As she pines to get back to work, Rain starts to work on a podcast. I thought Unger did a great job
Chloe
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Rain is a stay-at-home mom, and a former reporter. When a suspected killer is found murdered, she finds it hard to not investigate the case. The recent murder reminds Rain of a murder of the man who attempted to abduct Rain and her friends when she was a kid. Rain was able to escape her kidnapper, though her two friends were not so lucky.Being forced to relive the horrors of that night Rain knows there is no way that she can let the vigilante escape this time even if his or her actions seem just ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 18 Nov 29, 2019 04:37PM

• The Other Mrs.
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • The Look-Alike
  • The Nanny
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The End of Her
  • This Is How I Lied
  • Where She Went
  • Little Secrets
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • Playing Nice
  • All His Pretty Girls (Detective Alyssa Wyatt #1)
  • Problem Child (Jane Doe, #2)
  • Before the Devil Fell
  • The Heart Keeper
  • All About Evie
Lisa Unger is a New York Times and internationally bestselling author. With books published in twenty-six languages and millions of copies sold worldwide, she is widely regarded as a master of suspense. Her new release is CONFESSIONS ON THE 7:45, a Goodreads Choice Awards Nominee.

Unger’s critically acclaimed books have been named on “Best Book” lists from the Today show, Good Morning America, Ente