Start by marking “Penny and Her Sled” as Want to Read:
Penny and Her Sled

Penny and Her Sled

(Mouse Books)

When Penny looked out her bedroom window, she didn’t see any snow.

Penny really wanted to use her new red sled.

Penny wished for snow every day. It was cold, the sky was gray, but where was the snow?

Days went by. Weeks passed. Penny hoped . . . but no snow. Would the snow ever arrive?

What do you think will happen?
Published October 29th 2019 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Penny and Her Sled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penny and Her Sled

Start your review of Penny and Her Sled
KC
Penny wants to use her sled but there is no snow. What to do!?!
Michael Fitzgerald
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-readers
Lesser authors (and there are many of them) would have given us the simplistic version - longing, waiting, finally getting. Henkes goes deeper.
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent beginner reader and first chapter book. The story has depth, has the feel of a sweet classic, and the illustrations are absolutely adorable. I read this out loud to my four year old and she was so excited when I told her there were more Penny stories that we can read. Kevin Henkes did such good job with this!
Olivia
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfi...

PENNY AND HER SLED is a chapter book for early readers that follows a mouse named Penny. Penny has been waiting and hoping for snow, playing with her sled often. However, snow will not come, and soon, the days are getting warmer and longer. Penny's mother suggests she instead starts to wait for snowdrops, which are the first blooms of spring. Penny waits and watches, and soon, she is excited to see the snowdrops bloom.

As an early
Elaine Fultz
The 4th book in the Penny series has Penny desperately waiting on snow during a warm winter that is not cooperating (sounds familiar). Her parents convince her to anticipate the snowdrop flowers which, like crocuses, are the first signs of spring and can be her snow alternative. Penny’s not thrilled about this, especially since she is unable to use her new sled. But, like all Henkes’ characters, Penny has pluck and loving adults to support her which is a winning combination. Henkes’ doesn’t ...more
Pam
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lower-elem
The latest beginning chapter book about Penny. She's so excited for snow to use her new sled. Unfortunately, the entire winter passes without snow falling. Penny gets creative with ways to use the sled while she waits. Finally, she resets her expectations and celebrates the snowdrops blooming in the spring.
Discussion topics - expectations, handling disappointment, creative problem solving, celebrating different ways.
Ann Haefele
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Penny must live in the south because she waits and waits for snow so she can use her sled, but that winter it never snows. Penny ends up being very flexible and finds new uses for her sled. My favorite illustration was when Penny decides snow might happen if she wears mittens to bed. Made me think of doing strange superstitious things (like wearing pjs inside out) to make a snow day happen when teaching.
Margie
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It has been more than six years. Actually, two thousand four hundred forty-three days have passed. When a time period such as this feels more like yesterday than the actual number, it's a sign of enduring goodness. For readers of books in a series, this means each book, regardless of the time between publication dates, is a treasure that stays in their collective hearts and minds.

In 2012 beloved author Kevin Henkes gave readers the first book in a series about a lively, charming little girl
Mercer County Library System
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids
"A beautiful, deceptively simple story about a girl and her sled that's not-so-secretly a tale of climate change. Penny books always make me a little melancholy, but this one really got me in the heart. A great book for any kid at any time, but especially now as our seasons aren't always looking like they used to." (Reviewed by Katie, Hopewell Branch)
Christina
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is such a sweet story about waiting for snow and waiting and learning to be patient in general. I loved it, especially on our first snowy day of the year. I can’t wait to share this one with young readers!! I’m glad we had it in time when Kevin Henkes was our featured author this school year!!
Katie Chase
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Penny (a mouse) is hoping for snow so she can use her new sled. Henkes beautifully captures how hard it is to wait and the creative ways Penny can use her sled while waiting. The story ends with a lovely twist: sometimes snow doesn’t come but spring flowers do.
Bookish
Another lovely entry in this beginning chapter book series, this one a well-paced examination of patience, disappointment, and revisited expectations as Penny eagerly awaits winter snow that never materializes and is pleased, instead, by a substitute come spring.
Raven Black
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not read a lot of Henkes picture books, or his easier readers. Yet, I was looking for something different and found Penny and Her Sled. It is sweet, cute and a fun not your usual snow book. Everything you know and love about Henkes is here
Meg
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, readers
I just love Kevin Henkes, and these beginner chapter books are right up there with the old favorites that helped me learn to read. (Except these have way more fun illustrations!) I highly recommend Penny books to beginning readers on the regular.
Christiana
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-friends
I loved this so much. Why did I love this so much?
Cheyenne
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute!
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like how the lack of snow is handled and the portrayal of the expectations and behaviors of a child Penny's age.
Michelle Kirk
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute beginner read

Penny was a cute character, my 4 year old daughter enjoyed the story. It was long enough for two nights if reading.
Erika
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: early-reader
Cute idea and art but I was bored through the whole thing.
Amy
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love the character of Penny and her stories! I also loved the message of finding the positive in situations that may not turn out how we planned.
Alice
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
So excited to see another "Penny" chapter book! Unexpected conclusion to a patient wait for snow.
Bethe
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely early reader about waiting for snow - maybe Penny should read Henkes' book about waiting!
Katie Fitzgerald
What a lovely addition to a favorite series. Kudos to Kevin Henkes for avoiding predictable wish fulfillment and allowing kids to see that there are ways to make the best of things even when the outcome they want most doesn't come to fruition.
Emma
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Kevin Henkes. His books are always so soothing. A very cute early chapter book about Penny's long wait for snow and learning to make due with other toys and activities.
Allison
Angela Pease
Dec 30, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Home in the Woods
  • Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • The Thing about Bees: A Love Letter
  • Saturday
  • Small in the City
  • Birdsong
  • Who is the Mystery Reader? (Unlimited Squirrels, #2)
  • Just Because
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Another
  • The Serious Goose
  • The Scarecrow
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.

Mouse Books (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • A Weekend with Wendell