Start by marking “Nothing to See Here” as Want to Read:

Nothing to See Here

Lillian and Madison were unlikely roommates and yet inseparable friends at their elite boarding school. But then Lillian had to leave the school unexpectedly in the wake of a scandal and they’
Published October 29th 2019 by Ecco

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Oct 29, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win one of 100 galley copies of NOTHING TO SEE HERE by Kevin Wilson!

Lillian and Madison were unlikely roommates and

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 4560 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Oct 23 - Nov 22, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Nothing to See Here, please sign up.
    Anthony Hayes It's infrequent but it's definitely there. Not constant but it gets thrown around a bit. Not totally gratuitous (imo) but if it puts you off, tread…moreIt's infrequent but it's definitely there. Not constant but it gets thrown around a bit. Not totally gratuitous (imo) but if it puts you off, tread lightly. I really enjoyed this story despite the occasional profanity. Hope that helps!(less)

Start your review of Nothing to See Here
    Larry H
    Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    This is truly an odd, funny, poignant book about finding a place and people with whom you belong, and how family can spring from the strangest of situations.

"How did people protect themselves? How did anyone keep this world from ruining them?"

Lillian has always accepted that she won’t accomplish much in life. For a brief moment in her teenage years, however, she attended a private high school and befriended Madison, a beautiful but quirky rich girl, and Lillian started to
    Fran
    Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Lillian had "a desire to be superlative...a sterling representative of this backward county"... when she won a scholarship to prestigious Iron Mountain Girls Preparatory School. Lillian and her roommate Madison became fast friends despite the fact that upper crust Madison "...had been raised since birth to recognize importance. [Lillian] was not that." However, Lillian and Madison needed each other. They strived to "tamp down their weirdness." Madison acknowledged that rich people "... had to be ...more
    karen
    i missed out on this at BEA, but i won it through goodreads - hooray!

and it came with a squishy flame-shaped stress thingie.

i feel seen.

REVIEW TO COME!
    Paige
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Told in first person, our main character and narrator Lillian travels to see her friend, Madison, who has a job offer for her. It isn't until after she accepts the job as governess to Madison's step-children that Madison tells her the kids burst into flames when they feel angry or frustrated.

The fire children do not make an appearance until 26% (on a Kindle). The first 1-7% is the foundation of Lillian and Madison's relationship. This includes how the met, their school-girl-days, and their current sta
    Cheri
    !! NOW AVAILABLE !!

Originally I came across this book when I was reading the excerpts in the Buzz Books 2019 Fall / Winter collection of the best stories to look out for in the coming months. It sounded promising, but it took me a while to request this since this is an author I wasn’t familiar with. I’m glad that I did, even more so when I saw the author’s Dedication – ”For Ann Patchett and Julie Barer” having recently spent time in another world courtesy of Ann Patchett.

Madis
    Lisa
    Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    [4.5] The idea of a plot involving two kids who spontaneously ignite when they get anxious didn't sound appealing to me. But I was wrong. I loved the main character, Lillian, an outsider who is stuck in her life until an old friend calls for her help. I loved the way Wilson portrayed the two very likable kids - who have been unfairly treated by their family because of their unusual ability (or disability).

I was pulled into this novel from the first pages and got up for air only to he
    Gabby
    This book is a really interesting story about this girl who becomes a nanny for these kids who catch on fire when they get upset. This premise is super unique and I’ve never read anything quite like it. I enjoyed this story and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, it’s just not particularly memorable for me. Here’s some thoughts I jotted down after finishing it:

-This book was interesting and sweet but kind of forgettable
    -I love that the main character is so sarcastic and awkward,
    Book of the Month
    Why I love it
    by Sarah Dickinson

I usually like my fiction firmly rooted in reality, so I was nervous about a book featuring children who catch fire when distressed. However, I’m a mother, so I appreciate this metaphor. What parent hasn’t witnessed an epic tantrum where your child starts to resemble the girl from The Exorcist?

Years ago, Lillian, a scholarship kid, and Madison, an heiress, became friends at their Tennessee boarding school. Fast forward to the present day, we find
    Jessica Woodbury
    May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: best-2019-arcs, arc
    Full disclosure: I have not read any Kevin Wilson books before. They looked kind of like the book versions of Wes Anderson movies, rather pretentious and twee. I have no idea if that is a fair assessment, it is just how they struck me. But the hook of this book got my attention and I thought it would be a good one to dip my toes into. Then I was really shocked by how quickly this book burrowed its way into my heart.

I have had a run of insomnia lately, so I mostly read this book in the middle of
    Anna Luce
    ★★★★✰ 4.5 stars

“I had the children. They caught on fire. I had to keep them from catching on fire.”

As soon as I read Kevin Wilson's dedication (“for Ann Patchett”) I had a feeling that I was in for a treat (and I was right).
    There was something about Wilson's surrealism that reminded me a bit of Charlie Kaufman's films (in Synecdoche, New York a character moves into a house that is permanently on fire). Comparisons to Wes Anderson would also not be amiss (dysfunctional families + parental abandonme(“for/>“I
    Moonkiszt
    Absolutely one of the most fantastic stories I've ever heard!!!! Hilarious, dear and so outside the lines, the metaphor hugs you tight through the very last word, and a cinching tug with that last punctuating period.

Fantastic. What else is out there by Kevin Wilson???? I want more of this!
    Patricia
    Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    NOTHING TO SEE HERE is definitely a different type of novel for me, and I really enjoyed it. Two friends get together when one calls the other to help with her step-children. The problem with the children is that they catch fire when agitated. The fire does not burn the children, just anything else. This book is filled with humor and is a feel good novel. I recommend this book!
    Laura Peden
    Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: audiobooks, audible
    Quirky, snarky little number. I adored it.
    Kelly (and the Book Boar)
    Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I really enjoyed The Family Fang this year, so when I heard that Kevin Wilson had a new release coming out I made sure to put my name on the library hold list well before pub day to guarantee I’d be at the top of the heap. Now that I’ve finished I have this to say . . . . .

Lillian has a history of bailing Madison out of a jam, so she’s exactly the person who gets called when Madison’s twin stepchildren are in need of a “governess.” Not only do these two kids have to deal
    Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
    Did Madison choose Lillian to be her friend because of the differences in their upbringing?

Did Madison choose Lillian to be her friend because it was convenient for her?

Or did Madison choose Lillian to be her friend because she needed a true friend?

The reason wasn’t clear, but in my opinion what Madison did to Lillian was unforgivable even though they did remain friends.

After many years of still staying in touch, Madison offers Lillian a job as the
    Ararita Valenta
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4.5 ⭐

This is not the best book in the world that you will ever read, but it is filled with humor and it will give you all the warm feelings for those two kids. And Lillian.

Do not expect something that will blow your mind, but this book will keep you company for a day or two :)
    Theresa
    Thank you, Netgalley and Harper Collins/Ecco for sending me a digital ARC, in exchange for an honest review.

It's hard to believe this is my first novel I've read from Kevin Wilson. Wow. He's a fantastic storyteller! Now I want to go back and read everything he was written prior to "Nothing to See Here".

I love quirky novels. And this one is definitely quirky and then some! There's magical realism as well. The novel opens in the mid '90s in Franklin, Tennessee. 28 year-old, semi-slacker, Lillian
    Tyler Goodson
    May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs
    Some authors write about the strange and the absurd with cold aloofness. Kevin Wilson writes about weirdness in a way that is funny and warm--downright fiery, in fact. I couldn't have enjoyed this story of a young, acerbic woman and the creation of her own misfit family more.
    Mary
    Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Brilliant. One of the best books I've read in years. This is not overselling it, people. Read. this. book.

Emily
    Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I just liked this so, so much. Kevin Wilson's books always sound like they're going to be *quirky* and end up being much darker and more grounded and real than their high concept set-ups. So yes, this is about two children who catch on fire, but it's really about friendship, forgiveness, and finding a way to live generously into the circumstances of your life, even if you're not sure you can. A wonderful, distinctive narrative voice, biting and a little bitter but ultimately hopeful, just exactl ...more
    Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
    The responsible adults in charge needed to come up with a plan.....
    ....the fire children’s mother died.
    *Fire* children - you ask?
    YEP!!!! 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

An ***AUDIOBOOK-FAVORITE***.....
    read by the ‘outstanding’ Marin Ireland.

Marin Ireland, made this book come ‘alive’!!!!
    The ranges in her voice sounded completely different for each character.
    She was fantastic with the children’s voices.

The children, ( twins Bessie & Rolan), & Lillian ( unique governess), stol
    Kari Ann Sweeney
    Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I expected a book about kids who spontaneously combust to be quirky and full of dark humor. It certainly had both those elements, but I was caught off guard with all the other emotions I felt while reading it.

It had so much heart. It took these perpetually flawed characters (I’m looking at you Madison) and somehow made them tender and sharp at the same time.

I just really dug it.
    Kasa Cotugno
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Kevin Wilson uses unusual familial situations to get his point across. We meet Lillian during a particular downward spiral that began the day she was born, wherein she was ignored by an uncaring mother, but had been granted a boost during her senior highschool year when she was granted a scholarship to an exclusive boarding school. What happened that year regarding her roommate Madison set the tone for the remainder of her life until Madison reestablishes contact thusly setting in motion the res ...more
    Wrenn
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Lillian, a scholarship girl, and Madison, a rich girl, become best friends at an illustrious boarding school. Until Lillian takes the blame for Madison in an incident that gets her kicked out.
    They lose touch after that.
    Lillian seems to just drift through her life, working at a grocery store, still living at home and smoking too much pot.
    Meanwhile Madison is living her charmed life, married to a distinguished senator, mother to young son Timothy.
    Madison contacts Lillian, o
    Emily
    Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Nothing to See Here was my first Kevin Wilson book, and I really enjoyed it! This was a really intriguing speculative fiction novel, and I was drawn to it as soon as I heard the synopsis.

I liked the characters in this book, and the setting was great. I really enjoyed the parts at boarding school, and the parts at Madison's mansion were good as well.

I wish this book would have been a little darker, but that's just my horror bias. It was a heartwarming story with a good dark vibe; I just wanted
    Rebecca
    Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    You want to try this hors d'oeuvre: watermelon, feta cheese, kale, and balsamic vinegar. Skewer chunks of the cheese and melon on toothpicks, place on a bed of kale, and drizzle with plenty of balsamic. Doesn't it sound so strange? But it's surprisingly delicious. The vinegar cuts the kale cuts the feta cuts the watermelon cuts the vinegar, and on and on. I ate a whole platter of it once, just about.

Nothing to See Here reminds me of that appetizer, except weirder. It's an oddly scrumptious little/>Nothing
    Julie
    A huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC of Kevin Wilson’s NOTHING TO SEE HERE. This is the first work of Wilson’s that I’ve read, and there’s no doubt that I’ll be adding more of his books to my TBR list as this novel was enjoyable from start to finish. Despite the bizarre premise of this book (spontaneously combusting kids, really?), the story amazingly works, which speaks to Wilson’s talent as a writer. The plot and characters never become silly or ridicul ...more
    Tucker
    May 24, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
    Shelves: reviewed
    goodreads marked this as "weird fiction"

what ?
    Basic B's Guide
    Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A unique and heartfelt book about wanting to protect ourselves from a world of hurt.

I really enjoyed my first Kevin Wilson book. NOTHING TO SEE HERE is currently a @bookofthemonth selection for October (recommended by @sarahsbookshelves) and a favorite author of my gal pal @readwithjamie.

“Kevin Wilson’s best book yet—a moving and uproarious novel about a woman who finds meaning in her life when she begins caring for two children with remarkable and disturbing abilities.”<
    Chris Haak
    Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    4,5
    This was so much fun! I liked the weirdness, I loved the characters -especially Lillian and the children Bessie and Roland- and the relationship between them, and the plot and writing is excellent.
    Thanks very much Harper Collins and Edelweiss for the ARC. I really enjoyed myself!
    #ReadWithJenna: Question of the Week (2) 1 28 Nov 11, 2019 08:34AM
    #ReadWithJenna: Question of the Week (1) 3 51 Nov 09, 2019 04:24AM
    #ReadWithJenna: Our November book pick is Nothing to See Here 1 50 Nov 01, 2019 05:54AM
    Book of The Month: Nothing to See Here 1 14 Oct 04, 2019 04:49AM

• If Only I Could Tell You
    • The Dutch House
    • The Whisper Man
    • The Reckless Oath We Made
    • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
    • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
    • Akin
    • Fate of the Fallen (The Shroud of Prophecy, #1)
    • We Are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast
    • Hollow Kingdom
    • The Travelers
    • The Chestnut Man
    • All This Could Be Yours
    • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
    • Slay
    Kevin Wilson was born, raised, and still lives in Tennessee. His writing has appeared in Ploughshares, One Story, Greensboro Review, The Oxford American, Carolina Quarterly and elsewhere. His work has twice been included in the New Stories from the South: The Year’s Best anthology (2005, 2006). He has received fellowships from the MacDowell Colony, Yaddo, and the KHN Center for the Arts. A graduat ...more