Start by marking “The Arrival of Someday” as Want to Read:
The Arrival of Someday

The Arrival of Someday

In this heartfelt and emotionally candid contemporary YA, author Jen Malone delves into the life of a teen whose world is brought to an abrupt halt when she learns she’s in dire need of an organ transplant.
Hard-charging and irrepressible eighteen-year-old Amelia Linehan could see a roller derby opponent a mile away—and that’s while crouched down, bent over skates, an
Published July 23rd 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Arrival of Someday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arrival of Someday

Start your review of The Arrival of Someday
Giselle
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
The Arrival of Someday is a very emotional, very realistic novel that has all of the feels - yet has so much charm and wit that you won't help but find yourself falling in love with all of its characters, no matter the gloom that follows the story.

Amelia was born with a liver disease that hasn't ever been an issue until now. Until its become so very real, so very scary, very fast. From the very first page I loved Amelia's voice. Her personality and wit makes it impossible to dislike her. She's
Madison
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love books that make me cry. I also love books that can make me smile. And The Arrival of Someday had me doing both. I often call books uplifting. The Arrival of Someday goes past uplifting (though, that fits too) and is totally inspiring. It is surprising (that ending literally come out of nowhere and smacked me across the face), it is fun (simply a pleasure to sit down with and enjoy), and it combines everything I love about really good YA contemporary fiction - family, friend
Brittany
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh boy. That was a tearjerker.
But sooooo good.

And yea, synopsis is wrong. There's no romance. Nobody comes in and saves the dying girl with his love. But Will is awesome either way.
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Arrival of Someday is a Young Adult contemporary novel. It is my third book by this author. I have previously read Wanderlost and Changes in Latitudes.

The narrator is 18 year old Amelia/Lia (1st person POV). She is a senior in high school. The book is divided into three parts. The story is set in Massachusetts.

The book starts off with Lia and her best friend Sibby. We get to see their Roller derby team. I really wish that this had been a bigger focus of the book. As I
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“I wish it didn’t have to be like this: all or nothing. I wish I didn’t have to chase highs to try and banish the lows. I wish normal could be good enough.”
I wasn’t expecting to become so immediately hooked to Lia’s story, but I just couldn’t put The Arrival of Someday down. We follow Lia Linehan, proud activist and roller derby enthusiast, as she must face her need for a liver transplant. Lia is determined to stay strong and renounce all pity directed her way, but soon learns that distractions aren’t alwaysput
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

My heart! Oh, this book gave me the feels. But not all the feels were of a depressing sort, not even close! For a book about a very ill young woman, it manages to be incredibly heartwarming and uplifting. Lia faces an incredibly difficult battle, one that upends her life. She needs a liver. And they're not exactly selling them at Target.

The story focuses not just on Lia
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
This was very readable and poignant and hits you in the feels in various points. I'm giving it 3 stars. It feels like a harsh rating for a book that pulled me in, but did I love it enough to read it again down the road? No. So no 5 stars were forthcoming.

But why not a 4 stars rating, you ask? It came down to politics that got it docked a whole second star. If not for politics, this could've been a solid 4 star read for me. Here's the issue that authors need to understand: we read to escape reality, ev
Samantha (WLABB)
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sad, 2019, ya, arcs
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I always think I know what I am getting myself into, when I opt to read a "sick kids" book, but still, I under estimate the emotional toll it will have on me. My advice for reading this book: grab a box of tissues and be ready to shed some tears, because it was painful, while also being really touching and beautiful.

Lia was such an incredible character. I first met her, while she was dominating on the roller derby track, so
faith ✨
COVER = I AM HERE FOR THIS
Brenna Clark
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Edelweiss for this eARC that completely took my breath away. I originally requested it because of the badass that Lia (short for Amelia) is. The synopsis for the book tells us she is a roller derby queen, an artist, and a nerd (see her derby name: Rolldemort!) and as such I was completely taken by her character already, and knew she was someone I would connect with. It takes no time to warm up to her, and just as quickly the world as she knows it is quickly pulled out from u ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
5 HUMUNGOUS STARS

I need to read everything Jen Malone has ever written. STAT.

THE ARRIVAL OF SOMEDAY is one of the bravest novels I’ve ever read.

Lia, a kick-ass roller derby star, born with a liver condition, suddenly needs a transplant. The high school senior is used to being the strong one, not the sick one. The last thing she wants is to be the poster child for organ transplant, though her best friend has other ideas. Unable to bear losing Lia, Sibby campaigns to sign as many pot
Blodeuedd Finland
It made me cry! I did not expect it, but there I was, crying. Sometimes a good cry is good, it has been a while since my last.

Amelia was born with a liver disease, but it has never really affected here. Until her last year of HS when it gets worse. She needs a liver transplant.
I liked Amelia, she tried so hard to go on with her life. To do the things she loves, painting, hanging out with her bestie. Not to be the dying girl since she felt almost like before anyway. She does not
Kelly Hager
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't even imagine what it would feel like to grow up with a disease that you know will make you eventually need a liver transplant. That's Amelia's life. But she's healthy and has been her whole life, basically, so it's something that's vaguely a thing but usually not on her mind. Until, as the title says, someday arrives.

But even now that the need for a transplant is getting closer, she still feels OK for the most part. She's not tired (usually) and she isn't showing signs of ja
dani
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
i just don't know how to describe this book.
"meh" would be the right word. i enjoyed it but i felt like the main character wasn't someone i would be a friend of,,, and the ending was so out of note???
did love the message that it leaves: to sign up and be an organ donor!! yet nothing really impacted me or stayed with me. 3/5
Lori Goldstein
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to read an advance copy of Jen Malone's latest novel. Amelia is tough and fearless, determined to face her life-threatening liver disease with the same spunk she brings to everything else but discovers it may not be as easy as she thinks. With the perfect mix of depth, heart, and humor, Ms. Malone takes us on Amelia's journey and our own as we face our own fears and evaluate what it means to be truly alive. Highly recommend.
Caitlin R.
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
[3.5/5 Stars]

The Arrival of Someday follows the life of Amelia (Lia/Roldemort), a high school senior, and roller derby enthusiast... oh, and she also has a rare liver disease that requires she get a transplant at some point in the near future.

If you know me, you know how much I care about and advocate for organ donation, so I really thought that this book would be perfect for me. All of the stuff surrounding the actual medical issues, or raising awareness for the need to donate real
Malka
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I want everyone to read this book so badly! I hope to have a full review up explaining why soon!
MyLittleLibrary
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

- - -

The Arrival of Someday follows 18-year-old Amelia, who was born with a rare liver disorder. She's known about it her whole life, but as the book opens up, Amelia finds out that her disorder has caught up with her and she needs a liver transplant a lot sooner than anyone ever thought she might.

Amelia is the quintessential roller-derby girl. She is edgy, tough, quirky, and outspoken. Throughout the book we see Amelia struggle with letting go of this image and accepting the ima-
The
Celia McMahon
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Edelweiss and BIG FAT thanks to HarperCollins for always entrusting me to review their e-arcs.

Let me preface this by telling you all how much of a sucker for punishment I am. I have read, not one, but two books involving fatal diseases and illnesses, but this one...this one took me to a whole new level of sadness, and hope.

What is it about?

This story follows Amelia Linehan, a passionate eighteen-year-old who's into roller derby, drawing, and hanging out with
Christina
3.5 stars. I may change this rating to 4 stars, but right now I’m a little in my feelings and so it stands. The book was good, the emotions were there, but I’ve come to expect a certain kind of storyline when picking up her books, and this one didn’t follow that path. It’s not any fault of Malone—her writing was still great—but expecting one thing and getting another that you didn’t really vibe with as much as you anticipated is a little challenging when it comes to star ratings.

Word
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
Ugh! LOOK AT THAT COVER. I HAVE A THING FOR BOOOOTS AND TEAL!!!!!! I NEED IT IN MY LIFE NOW. :(( Plus the synopsis sound deliciously heart breaking so yes down for that too.
Jen Petro-Roy
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, arc, ya, 2018
So good.
linzie
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
-2.5 stars.

I’m... disappointed. All the reviews for this book hype it up to be so heartbreaking and moving but I’m just not feeling it. The story itself is definitely sad, but the writing, characters, and just the overall vibes that this book gave me were not was I was hoping for. If I’m being honest, Amelia was kind of annoying. She’s 18, but she acts like an 11 year old. And oh man, the melodramaaaaa. Throughout the entire book she was all “I am so brave but woe is me I have the worst life ev
Monika
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I had to shortly describe describe The Arrival of Someday, it would be: utterly realistic and emotional. Really. The book tells the story of an eighteen-year-old girl - Lia (Amelia), passionate roller derby player, who recently learns she's in desperate need of an organ transplant. Now she has no other option than waiting for The Call. This is not a depressive book since Lia refuses to consider herself as a dying girl.

A little warning for readers of Jen Malone's books: This is not
Ashlee
3.5 stars. If I were to say that The Arrival of Someday was one of the best contemporaries I've ever read, I would be lying. The ending literally dropped my rating down by half a star. But at the same time, I guess the conclusion of the story made this novel realistic. My favorite part of the entire thing was Amelia's dad. Her mom wasn't bad either. I loved how both of her parents were very involved in her life! Bottom line is that this isn't an awful book by any means, but don't read it if you're like ...more
Stephanie
I'm not crying, you're crying.
Izzy
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-recent-books
This book was incredible! It was sweet and heartfelt while being about a teen dealing with a serious disease. The Arrival of Someday was a powerful read that anyone would enjoy.
Lucy
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5!
At the beginning, I felt sort of disconnected from the main character, but that faded and was replaced by sheer hope for Lia’s health. The ending was so tender and heartfelt.
Mariam
Aug 02, 2019 added it
Ahh finally a Book I can relate to (kind of), being a Patient of a hereditary genetic disorder Thalassemia Major,I need blood transfusions every month to live and I also got infected with HCV when I was 4 y/o through a blood transfusion and now at the age of almost 23 I had to get my huge spleen removed.Life hasn’t been very kind to me.It’s a constant struggle.
There aren’t many books where the main character is struggling with a disease,fighting for their life and at the same time trying t
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Art of Breaking Things
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • Summer of a Thousand Pies
  • Stealing Home
I once spent a year traveling the world solo from Nepal to Romania to Fiji, where I learned 99.9% of humanity is pretty freaking awesome yet somehow doesn't share my love of ice cubes in a drink. I met my husband on the highway, literally. In fact our meet-cute was SO cute we had a whole story written about it in Ladies Home Journal. My twin boys placed second in the Most Identical contest at the ...more