Start by marking “Pencils, Pens & Brushes: A Great Girls' Guide to Disney Animation” as Want to Read:
Pencils, Pens & Brushes: A Great Girls' Guide to Disney Animation

Pencils, Pens & Brushes: A Great Girls' Guide to Disney Animation

Based on the critically acclaimed Disney Editions title, Ink & Paint: The Women of Walt Disney's Animation, this nonfiction picture book is a fun and inspiring look at a few of the amazing women who have worked at Disney Animation over the years—from sculptors to inkers to painters to story artists, all with unique personalities and accomplishments, such as becoming a ...more
Published August 13th 2019 by Disney Press

To ask other readers questions about Pencils, Pens & Brushes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pencils, Pens & Brushes

Start your review of Pencils, Pens & Brushes: A Great Girls' Guide to Disney Animation
Rebecca
Flipped through. I'm happy to see more "hidden figures" getting attention like this. I found myself wishing for more examples of the artists' own work, and less references to them as "girls". Illustrator Lorelay Bove appropriately echoes the style of Mary Blair. This is a young reader's edition of "Ink & Paint."
Meredith Spidel
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disney sent me an ARC for review, and I love this book! It's beautiful. Full of details young artists (and old!) will find fascinating, inspiring stories and lots of gorgeous inspirational quotes and pages. I'm delighted to share this with my young daughter!
Allison
I thoroughly enjoyed this collective biography of influential women in Walt Disney Animation History. We've heard about Walt's Nine Old Men, but this books shines a light on the contribution of the many women who shaped the early days of Disney animation through their artistry, performances, and science. The colorful illustrations in this book depict each "Great Girl" of Disney animation beautifully, and suit the 20th century aesthetic of the topic quite well. Through each 1-2 page biography, ...more
Sesana
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
One of those collections of mini-bios about women. This one focuses entirely on women who worked at Disney during the early years. I really wish there'd been some examples of their actual works. Don't get me wrong, Bove's Mary Blair influenced art is gorgeous, but I would have also liked to have seen some of Mary Blair's actual work.
Heidi
This nonfiction picture book (about 77 pages) is a colorful and fun look at some of the women who made contributions to the world of film and Disney animation from the 1920s through the 1950s. A lot of these women achieved "firsts" such as Dorothy Ann Blank who was the first woman to receive a credit for writing a Disney feature-length animated film (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) to Hazel Sewell who became the first woman to receive a credit as an Art Director within animation (Snow White and ...more
Panda Incognito
This beautifully illustrated book teaches young readers about some of the women writers, artists, and animators who worked at Disney during the twentieth century. I enjoyed learning about their careers, and was pleasantly surprised to discover how many women held significant roles in the studio even during its early days, but the book's trite, cheesy inspirational messages keep it down to a three-star read for me.
J.
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book belongs on every shelf. For young and old, and even for those who don't much like books(!), this read is highly accessible and beautifully complimented by the gorgeous artwork of Lorelay Bove. It is a necessary partner to Mindy Johnson's stellar chronicle, Ink & Paint: The Women of Walt Disney's Animation, as it whimsically n' wonderfully highlights key accomplishments of many Great Girls who inspire with each and every turn of the page.
laura (bookies & cookies)
I feel like you need a more intermediate understanding of Disney Animation (the Ink & Paint Department, the workflow, what cels are) before reading this book, but it is also incredibly elementary in the biographies of these women and the tone used. Yes, it is a children's non-fiction book, however, it also demands much of the reader. Additionally, the coloring of the different women's skin was... odd. Black women drawn to look lighter and white women drawn to look more tan... yikes.
Nathalie
At first, I did not want to buy this book because I thought it would be unnecessary, but WAS I WRONG. So wrong, I can't believe it. This book has so many amazing woman and tales inside and the art is wonderful! It's a nice and cute book about some amazing women working for Disney, that I think should be talked more about.
Cindy Wise
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This beautiful book includes stories of girls who used their talents to achieve their dreams. It’s full of gorgeous illustrations, stories of women involved in Disney arts and quotes related to this topic. Must read for anyone who loves art and Disney!
BreAnna (Bre'sBooks)
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this artwork. Interesting to learn about some of the amazing work of women in Disney's classic animation.
Cindy
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love art, animation and Disney. I support anything that empowers women and spot lights amazing women in history. Bought this book not only because it has great artwork by Lorelay Bove but also for the mini bios. It would benefit from having original artwork from the artists mentioned, but overall it's a fun light read for all ages. Would love for the Disney Company to come out with an art book showcasing the contributions of these women.
Sara
Oct 27, 2019
Kathi Rauscher
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was privileged to be able to read an advanced copy of this book. As a lover of all things Disney I truly loved this book. The artwork and layouts were beautifully done. Reading about the pioneering women within the Disney Animation studios at its beginnings was fascinating. Highly recommend to not only Disney fans but also fans of animation.
Alexandria Leonis

• Mary Blair's Unique Flair: The Girl Who Became One of the Disney Legends
  • Mom's Cancer
  • Pick a Pumpkin
  • Are You Listening?
  • Chasing Vermeer (Chasing Vermeer, #1)
  • The Phone Booth in Mr. Hirota's Garden