Start by marking “Radioactive Evolution” as Want to Read:
Radioactive Evolution

Radioactive Evolution

Decimated by nuclear war, humanity stands at the precipice of extinction. The rich and powerful take to the oceans and skies on floating utopias, escaping destruction and forcing everyone else to fend off mutated creatures that roam the world.

At the turn of the third millennium, earth’s remaining survivors glimpse hope when a brilliant scientist invents nanotechnology, and
Published November 16th 2018 by Richard Hummel

To ask other readers questions about Radioactive Evolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radioactive Evolution

GaiusPrimus
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really entertaining take on the apocalyptic LitRPG

I would rate this book along the same level as Tao Wong's System Apocalypse or Xander Boyce's Red Mage.

It's really well written and it does an awesome job of worldbuilding and character development, setting the stage for future books.

I've seen it a while ago on RRL and the blurb alone almost made me break my "no more unfinished stories on RRL" rule.

Pick it up.
N.N. Light
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So so good! A must read!

My Rating: 5 stars

Reviewed by: Mrs. N
Cats of Ulthar February Weird Fiction
Review of RADIOACTIVE EVOLUTION
By Richard Hummel

An exciting adventure awaits readers of this epic urban fantasy mixed with futuristic science fiction. If you love questing, video games, historic fantasy, post-apocalyptic narratives, or Dystopiana, you're bound to glory over this fast-paced, heartrending novel of a world after nuclear destruction, a world of mutations from radioactive poisoning, of an upper-class society that lives on floating airborne islands, disdaining the 99% (or the few who
John-Torleif  Harris
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the blurb for this book, I wasn’t expecting LitRPG - I thought it would be more of a Sci-Fi horror with dragons. But the reality was so very much better than my expectations. This was probably the best LitRPG that I’ve read yet.

I loved the fact that Jared didn’t need to enter a virtual world to begin his adventures, but all of the components of leveling up existed all around him and simply needed to be unlocked. I loved how Scarlet has the knowledge of her mother, but still needs to gain bo
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received a copy of Gilded Wolves through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Richard Hummel’s debut novel, Radioactive Evolution is nothing like anything else I’ve read. It’s a LitRPG, something I didn’t even know excised before now. It’s also a true sci-fi novel. It also throws in a dash of dystopian and action-adventure for good measure.
A LitRPG is short for Literary Role Playing Game. And it pretty much is exactly what it sounds like. It combines the conventions of scienc
Frances Law
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Post Apocalyptic LitRPG

Radioactive Evolution portrays a world where humans have had a final war leaving the Earth a shattered, radioactive waste. Certain sections of humanity had built sky cities which must utilise a form of antigravity to float as they do. A scientist working for them, developed nanotech that could be injected into these humans who were left behind on the devastated land and keep them alive. They also removed the necessity of eating and drinking since the nanites absorbed energ
Cheryl
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super post-apocalyptic fantasy tale that reads like a video game

This is a lengthy book at 390 pages, which I appreciated because I was having a lot of fun reading it.

Jared Cartwright is an explorer on an Earth that was decimated by nuclear wars. He left his home colony two years ago to explore and salvage.

To survive the radiation that was released on the planet,a scientist invented booster shots of nanites to counteract the effects of the radiation but humans need the booster shots periodically.
Melissa Jane
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun, fantastic story! A future nuclear wasteland full of mutated monsters, an elite technologically advanced society that preys on the downtrodden people left to survive with little support, nanites that enables the survival of the toxins found everywhere and best of all dragons. There is an element of LitRPG that is well written and skillfully woven within the story without overcoming the adventures and turning the book into a game with the sole purpose to level up.
A masterful mix of fa
Rob Billiau
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deeper entry into the GameLit Gevre

This was a great read with what felt like a deeper take on GameLit. With strong descriptions and world building you’ll be brought into this wasteland the world has become, to journey with Jared and his bonded dragon Scarlet. The growth of the characters hints at huge things to come that is going to be exciting to witness! This feels like the beginning of an epic journey.
Chris Forquer
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love books about the apocalypse and when you add in dragons you have the perfect mix!
Arthur Hayes
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

I really enjoyed this book and I am really excited to see where this author goes! Thanks for the great book Richard.
Angie-lee
A post-apocalyptic tale of epic proportions 390 pages to be exact, yet you barely notice the length as the storyline is so good, giving total movie/ video game vibes throughout.

Think nuclear wars, radiation, booster shots to survive, all set in a scarred desolate backdrop then the injection that dragons are real.
This was a really exciting action filled tale where the world building though frightening was excellent the vivid imagery of radiation, total wastelands, destruction etc is easily felt t
John
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dragons return

I enjoyed this book immensely. What more could one want.... DRAGONS!! Plus litrpg mechanics for a upgrade system. The world is post apocalyptic and survival is difficult. The MC must upgrade himself and throw off the yoke of tyranny, as he leads the survivors to deliver justice in the new world.
Cleo A. Hanson
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story of most of humanity becoming indifferent to the rest of the world.

I think most people would love to bond with an intelligent being. In this book man bonds with Dragon and strives to make the world a better place.
Kelley
One of the best apocalypse books I have read (and I’ve read a lot). Love the litrpg base and the mythology dragon.
Peter
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Stellar work from Richard Hummel! Awesome post-apocalyptic world with plenty of action and intrigue, I can't wait for the next one!
Davidl Campbell'Sr
Entertaining!

A good story to read and to understand what a nuclear was can and will do to our world Enjoyed this story
Cr Rider
Good start!

Jared is an orphaned loner trying to survive whilst scavenging needed supplies from cirties ruined from nuclear disaster. After discovering a path trailblazed by an an unfortunate explorer, he realizes that the colonists on Earth have not been told the truth about their reliance on nanites. As he adjusts, Jared tries to understand the new stats system and begins to make plans in forcing the elites in their celestial cities to accept their comeuppance. Interesting storyline and look fo
Michael  w Hall
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A start to a beautiful franchise

Wow. This book hit me from my blindside. The MC isn't some fearless uber god that dives head first into danger and believes he can win. No. He goes in like any normal man would, afraid but driven by an overwhelming need to survive. It starts off like a cool post apocalyptic fare but then takes a left turn Into superior fantasy heaven. Mr. Hummel did a fantastic job or world building and mood setting. Especially the feeling of dread and hope. I'm looking forward to
John Bean
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Litrpg story

Wasn't sure at first about this book. However I was pleasantly surprised by this author, the story just drew me in. Can't wait for the next book in this series.
michael w rees
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent story

A wonderful story i would like to keep reading. Keep up the good work and write more like this. Thanks
M.A. Carlson
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poison meets Elysium in a post apocalyptic world

A fun read with an interesting premise. The story had plenty of adventure and action with some very clever problem solving. I am lookout by forward to the sequel.
Ben Richardson
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The Earth has become a radioactive nightmare. The privileged few have retreated to floating cities while the rest of humanity is left to scrabble and die on the surface. Most of the surface survivors have grouped together into small communities to fight off all the mutated creatures filling the world. They also mine important resources for the floating cities in exchange for nanite injectors which keep the effects of the radiation at bay.

Jared is a loner scavenger. He searches the ruins for inje
Spectrum Audiobooks
Great Urban dystopian novel!

I gave this book 5 stars because the scope and attention to detail is phenomenal. Is it GameLit/LITRPG? It has a very good and unique levelling structure between the MC and...oops, can't give a spoiler!

There are 3 storylines that leave a lot of room for sequels, so that's fun to look forward to.

I really loved the dystopian attention to detail. The cover just hints at this world,you will want to read this!
Robert
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great setting!

Loved the world Mr Hummel has created. Mixing tech with a little fantasy and stirring in post apocalypse. Without zombies finally!
Martin Vanderwerff
Entertaining read!!!

A splendid departure from the pack with good editing and a more compelling storyline than usual for this genre.

If you're looking for something more than "I suddenly got powers and started acquiring multiple mates", this story is for you.
Sid Yusma
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Jared Cartwright is a twenty something young man, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world where animals are mutated, radiation is harming the world, and everyone has to live on nanite boosters to survive. One day while Jared is scavenging New York, he finds an egg that unexpectedly turns into a telepathic dragon, telling him that he's been chosen as her bonded. In a of turn events, Jared gains abilities he never believed he could have, and takes on deadly mutations in order to help save human and ...more
Jacque
Can I just start with how great of a cover Radioactive Evolution has? Really. Great. It’s what first caught my attention. I know plenty of books and movies will have the Statue of Liberty as a symbol of how the world has fallen. It’s almost a gimme but for some reason, this time I stopped to admire the cover. Which then lead me to the blurb. Apocalyptic, wasteland, destruction – yup, yup, yup. Just like the cover implied. I came close to passing this one up until I saw it. The magic word. The on ...more
Robert
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the story

I truly liked the story. I am giving it only to start because of the editing. The author gives acknowledgement to 4 or 5 people. Either they were all inept or he ignored what they told him.

Much dialog in this story is done by telepathy. The author usually has these items in italics or bold. But too many places those don't changes didn't take place and the reader is left trying to figure out who was talking to whom. Other places he did not change the font back to normal and thought
Mark
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an odd book to review, or even to read. It's very much like a novelized video game. To the point of allocating "points" to various skills through an in-book mechanic that's a straight-up video game mechanic. For the first half of the book, this works pretty well. Around the mid-point, the main character begins acting in a very non-realistic manner. It totally breaks your suspension of disbelief. I had to DNF at ~60%.
  • Initializing (Somnia Online #1)
  • Cavern of Spirits (Stonehaven League #3)
  • The Old Races: Aftermath
  • Any Port in a Storm (Ayala Storme #2)
  • Last Woman 2
  • Citadel of the Sky (Thrones of the Firstborn #1)
  • Road of the Damned (Life of the Dead Book 2)
  • SpaceMan (Spaceman Chronicles, #1)
  • Dominion of Blades (Dominion of Blades, #1)
  • Advent (Sunfall, #2)
  • Two (One Universe #2)
  • Deadrise (The Tide, #4)
  • Dead Mech Walking (Armored Souls #1)
  • When the Peace Is Gone (A Powerless World #2)
  • Summer Ruins (The Last Year, #4)
  • Save Point: Upload (Book 1 - Sci-Fi litRPG Series)
This is the section where I'm supposed to write how I have always dreamed of writing books and that there are dozens of five star books out there with my name on them. Reality? I am brand new to writing, and worse, I'm not a creative writer. Most of the stuff that I have written is technical, cyber-related stuff. So, how in the world did I start down this path?

The best way to sum it up is D. Rus a