Start by marking “Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro, #4)” as Want to Read:
Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro, #4)

Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro #4)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  29,291 Ratings  ·  1,607 Reviews
Boston private detectives Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro are hired to find four-year-old Amanda McCready, abducted from her bed on a warm, summer night. They meet her stoned-out, strangely apathetic mother, her loving aunt and uncle, the mother's dangerous, drug-addled friends, and two cops who've found so many abused or dead children they may be too far over the edge t ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 412 pages
Published April 21st 1999 by HarperTorch (first published July 22nd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Gone, Baby, Gone, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Willie Krischke I think it's a teaser for the next book.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Jeff and Kelly's buddy read in which they didn't kill each other.
Each day in this country, twenty-three hundred children are reported missing.

Kenzie and Angie don't really want to take this case. A missing four year old girl that was taken from her home, while her drugged out mom is supposedly next door at her friend's house watching tv. The mom did not even lock the door. She was in such a hurry that she just left it open. With her child inside.
I didn't want to find Amanda McCready. I wanted someone else to.
But maybe because I'd become as caught up in this
Kemper
Sep 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
And then depression set in….

This book wrecked me the first time I read it. It was almost like having post traumatic stress syndrome. I found myself staring blankly at the walls for days after I finished it the first time. I felt like calling my sister and telling her to keep my young niece locked in the house until she was at least 25. I remember meeting a friend for beers shortly after I finished it, and that he asked me what was wrong. When I tried to explain, he was skeptical. “You’re really
Manju
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, 2017
four year old Amanda walked out of her house in the middle of night while her mother was at neighbors watching TV, and no one heard about her even after days of search. Everything came to a dead end. Amanda's aunt request Petrik and Angie to look for the child. Patrick and Angie found a big clue about the girl's disappearance but things instead of solving gets messier and scarier.

Lehane wrote an exceptional story here about kidnapping, drugs, abuse, and pain. Writing is flawless and gives chill
Nancy
Posted at Shelf Inflicted

I knew this was going to be a very dark story. After reading the very disturbing Darkness, Take My Hand, about a vicious and sadistic serial killer who knew no limits when it came to human depravity, I didn’t imagine it could get much worse. I was wrong.

Though Patrick and Angie are tired of the violence and inhumanity that plagued their earlier cases, they agree to accept this latest case of a four-year-old girl who was abducted from her bed. Amanda’s mom, Helene, who i
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Even if MY world is okay, THE world is still a pile of evil shit.”

Houston commercial photography
(Wrong movie - spot-on quote. Also, doesn’t Matt Damon have the most punchable face in all the world? The correct answer is yes. Yes he does.)

This was a buddy read with my pal The Jeff, but I can’t wait any longer for his slow ass to finish so my review is going up now ; )

In all seriousness, words can’t express how thankful I am that I buddied up with The Jeff for t
Jeff
“Hello, darkness my old friend…”

Having read The Grapes of Wrath earlier this year, I didn’t think another book could top it for sheer despair. Was I ever wrong. It’s as if at the end of the book the Joad’s drove their truck to the local abattoir and let loose on their frustrations.

The book centers on an abduction of a four year old and the involvement of Dennis Lehane’s private investigator duo, Kenzie and Gennaro, in the attempt to recover the child. It’s a journey that takes the reader straigh
Dan Schwent
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When a little girl goes missing and her mother's brother and sister-in-law hire them to find her, Patrick and Angela reluctantly accept. Their investigation drags them through a labyrinth of lies, one they will not emerge from unscathed...

Sweet zombie Jesus this is some good shit! I think Lehane might be the newest member of my crime fiction Holy Trinity with Lawrence Block and Richard Stark. Here's how it all went down.

After the events of Sacred, the previous book in the series, Patrick and Ang
William
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars, and more.

A Masterpiece of crime noir, complex and thrilling, with a difficult and courageous ending.

As usual with my reviews, please first read the publisher’s blurb/summary of the book so that I don't have to repeat the basic plot.

I am struck by how similar Lehane’s writing is to Robert B. Parker’s, and yet how different the feeling is. In Lehane, the sense of pain and loss, especially of lost childhood friends, weighs heavily upon Patrick and Angie, and through them, on us.

I’m
Julie
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane is a 1999 Harper publication.

I must make a few confessions up front:

1: I saw the movie version of this title a long time ago and it was so good, I’ve always wanted to read the book, because, of course, the book is always better.

2: I haven’t read as many books by this author as I thought.

3: This is my first foray into the Kenzie & Gennaro series. In fact, I didn’t even know this book was a part of a series, until now.

I make these confessions with shaking
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

“In the middle of the journey of our life I found myself within a dark woods where the straight way was lost.” - Inferno, Dante

These books crawl under my skin. I always feel brave and strong while reading them because I seem to stomach everything but oh, look at how dumb you are, Anna.

They linger in me. My nightmares say it all. More than the what or the who or the how, the emotion flourishes deeper, digging into me and breaking my defenses.

These books haunt me - I can't find another word rea
Mara
I just finished this book- like, literally, turned the final page, put it down, and am now writing. So, it's possible that I'm violating some rule of thumb akin to waiting two hours after you eat before swimming or not going to bed angry. However, there's a sort of queasy discomfort I have after finishing this fourth volume of the Kenzie & Gennaro corpus that might dissolve given enough lag time that I wanted to get down.

Lehane has left me with the disquieting malaise of a wicked problem .
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

*4.5 stars*

Love like that? Hell. It seems so pure, it's damn near criminal.

Soooo....I've missed my Angie and Patrick, I'm not guna lie. So when I got the empty feelings one usually gets after finishing a fantastic book and not knowing what to read, I started to get an ache that couldn't be filled by anything other than a beautifully flawed and tortured detective and his snarky partner in crime. See, there are only 6 books and I decided to break them up so I didn't lose them all at once....I
Richard
“When I was young, I asked my priest how to get to heaven and still protect yourself from all the evil in the world. He told me what God told His children; 'You are sheep among wolves, be wise as the serpent, yet innocent as doves.'”
This is by far the best installment in Dennis Lehane's great series following inner city Boston private detectives Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro (with Darkness, Take My Hand being a close second). And the VERY BEST detective novel I've read so far. I know tha
Brandon
Patrick and Angie have led rough careers as private investigators and after the events in Sacred, they’ve decided to pull back a little. When we catch up with them in Gone Baby Gone, they’ve all but sworn off cases that could lead to violence, death and destruction. Unfortunately for them, when young Amanda McCready goes missing, Amanda’s grieving Aunt and Uncle are persistent in their requests for the detectives’ help.

Patrick and Angie aren’t sure they’ll be able to offer much up in the way of
Fred
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: movie, mystery
Mystery, Crime & Thriller - Sept. 2017 Group Read

Aunt Beatrice & Uncle Lionel hire Patrick Kenzie & Angie Gennaro to find their niece Amanda(4). They say Helene(Amanda's mom) leaves her alone almost every night - "Gone, Baby, Gone". Lt.Jack Doyle says his Boston Police detectives are enough help.

Patrick/Angie & Det.Remy begin search. Lionel tells them he heard Helene & "Skinny" Ray talk about a NH $200,000 "Drug" money run for "Chesse" Olamon. Helene says she saw Kimmie/Wee
Will Byrnes
Nov 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
In Gone, Baby, Gone you really get a taste of darkness and an overdose of evil. I finished the book a couple of weeks ago, but this was a book that actually was so awful to read, the first Lehane book I had to read in phases, not right through because it was sometimes too awful to read. I also waited a while to write the review. Sometimes dwelling in darkness isn't that nice and after Gone, Baby, Gone I just wanted to read easy things and watch fun things on TV.

Rating the book was also hard. I g
Richard
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
8.5/10

Laughs aplenty in this one. Next time somebody asks me for a comedy recommendation this will be the one I put forward. It will certainly make me smile watching someone grow deeper into despair reading it. Mwhahaha!

Whilst the subject matter, child kidnapping and peodophiles, makes for less than comfortable reading this book is top notch with great writing and great characters. If you have read the previous books then there is no need to persuade you to read this as no doubt you are hooked.
Connie
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW...what I ride Lehane takes the reader on through the seedy side of Boston. The heroes are not really good guys and the bad guys are really, really bad. Two PI's take on the case of a missing child, and find themselves in the middle of corruption, mob activity, drug dealers, psycho's and everything in between. This is a brutal story where nothing is black and white. Trying not to cross the line is a struggle and nothing or no one is as it or they appear.

When I read this I knew how much I lik
Anushka
First time. It’s the first time a thriller has made me cry.

I mean, you don’t shed tears while reading these books, you read one then you read another one. But not this one. No, this one is going to haunt me for a long time, like all Dennis Lehane books do. I still think about Mystic River and feel a chill run down my spine.

Gone, Baby, Gone dealt with some very sensitive issues wrapped in a blanket of controversial subjects. Kidnapping is a topic that is bound to make you emotionally invested but
Rade
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I have just one more Kenzie & Gennaro book to read. Each one of the books I've highly enjoyed and would recommend them to everyone.

This one is no exception. What I like about Lehane's books is not only his fantastic writing but also his ability to make a simple promise of a book into something that is hard to put down. This one started with a missing child and went out of control, spiralling into a world of drugs, money, corruption, and the want for fame and glory.

Most of the characters in
Justin
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I've determined that pretty much every mystery/suspense/thriller/whatever book I read is going to land at three stars. It takes a lot for these books to break through into the four star range, and I don't think any of them are ever five star caliber.

Lehane, Coben, Grisham, most King, Connelly, etc. They're all fine authors, but all of them have a limit to how great they can be, and they all settle for a decent story that is enthralling at times but ultimately forgettable.

This story was just wh
Wayne Barrett
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, crime, mystery, thriller

3.5

I think I had my hopes up too high on this one. I've become a Lehane fan and I have heard a lot of great opinions on this novel, so I went in with great anticipation. Obviously, I'm not saying the book was bad, I gave it a 3.5 rounded up to 4, but it just didn't wow me as I had expected. I was looking for something entertaining along the lines of Mystic River, and in my opinion there was no comparison.

I thought the opening was strong in this 'Kenzie & Gennaro' segment, and there was plen
Corey
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gone Baby Gone is a great who-done-it story, but also very true to life, because the events that took place in this book could happen to anybody!

Gone Baby Gone is about 2 Boston Private Investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro, who are approached by the Aunt of 4 year old girl Amanda McCready, who had disappeared without a trace, and whose Mother is heavy into drugs and alcohol. Kenzie and Gennaro accept the case and set out to solve the dark mystery behind Amanda's disappearance.

I do kno
Harry
Hmmmm...someone liked one of my reviews and I checked out this person's reading list as well as their reviews and heard mention somewhere in there a sentence or two about heroes, one likeable, the other...well, more along the lines of a sociopath. Dennis Lehane, among other authors was mentioned in this respect.

As always, my curiosity was piqued, and although I checked out the other named authors I did finally settle on Dennis Lehane. It was a good decision. Perhaps one of the best reading decis
Jane Stewart
Wonderful writing, but the subject matter and ending were depressing and dark.

I’ve read three Lehane books. All three of them have horrible things happening to children: a father prostituting his son, pedophiles kidnaping and torturing children, drug addicted mothers ignoring and neglecting children. This book has pedophiles torturing children and disgustingly neglectful mothers.

The mystery was solved, but the end was depressing. The novel is about injustice, the poor, drug users, race and simil
Luis Roman
Nov 02, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Sad, sad, sad. this is the Boston of Dennis Lehane, populated by tough guys, lost souls, and heartbreak. This is the Boston of Patrick Kenzie, flawed hero of several previous Lehane novels. This is the first Lehane novel I read, and I found it compelling, if not enjoyable. The crime is not as important here, as the way the people around it react. Kenzie's primary character trait is his nobility - it compels to continue investigating the crime, even though he has several opportunites, and even m ...more
Skye Skye
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, shocking, and disturbing, this suspense thriller is the embodiment of crime and evil. Lehane exposes the darkest streets of Boston, and examines the most heinous of crimes. Well written and dreadfully graphic, Lehane forces the reader to examine relevant questions both morally and legally. Through first person point of view, we see the world through the narrator's eyes, and he leads us into areas of discomfort, love, and tenderness. Patrick is a dichotomy of street kid and choir boy w ...more
Nigel
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I was told by a friend that Lehane was a good author and I should try him. I picked this up cheap to see what it was like. Based on this I won't rush to read more. For me there are plenty of authors writing now on either side of the Atlantic that offer far better. It feels like the kind of book I would have read 25 years ago - not unreasonable as it was published then. However it felt pretty superficial to me. I worked the story out before the end and the female PI does feel a bit "token". Not b ...more
Conor
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've not actually read this but I saw the film adaption recently and it was class. One of the best crime-mystery thrillers I've ever seen. The setting was atmospheric and menacing, the performances were great (Casey was really good in the lead role while Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris were brilliant in supporting roles and the actresses who played Affleck's partner and the crack-ho mother both had really strong turns). The plot was great as well. It was mysterious and compelling from start to fini ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct "Sort By" title 2 12 Sep 11, 2017 11:23AM
Descriptive, compelling narrative 1 16 Mar 02, 2015 07:17PM
Order of books 7 50 Mar 05, 2014 06:58PM
  • Cropper's Cabin
  • Shame the Devil
  • When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6)
  • Thin Air (Spenser, #22)
  • Prince of Thieves
  • Strega (Burke, #2)
Dennis Lehane (born Aug 4th, 1966) is an American author. He has written several novels, including the New York Times bestseller Mystic River, which was later made into an Academy Award winning film, also called Mystic River, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, and Kevin Bacon (Lehane can be briefly seen waving from a car in the parade scene at the end of the film). The ...more
More about Dennis Lehane

Kenzie & Gennaro (6 books)
  • A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1)
  • Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2)
  • Sacred (Kenzie & Gennaro, #3)
  • Prayers for Rain (Kenzie & Gennaro, #5)
  • Moonlight Mile (Kenzie & Gennaro,#6)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“When I was young, I asked my priest how to get to heaven and still protect yourself from all the evil in the world. He told me what God told His children;'You are sheep among wolves, be wise as the serpent, yet innocent as doves.” 28 likes
“You are sheep among wolves. Be wise as serpents, yet innocent as doves.” 13 likes