Start by marking “The Faithful” as Want to Read:
The Faithful

The Faithful

At the Mountains of Madness meets They Live! in a new novel from Matt Hayward, the Bram Stoker Award-nominated author of What Do Monsters Fear?

After comedian Leo Cartwright performs his farewell comedy show in New York City, a young man ailed by cerebral palsy confides in him about odd dreams and a place he calls No Man’s Land. Leo thinks nothing of it until the man, Chri
Published October 15th 2018 by Sinister Grin Press

To ask other readers questions about The Faithful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faithful

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
The Faithful primarily follows Jonesy, a former musician looking to find his long-lost son, and Leo, a retiring comedian who's been begged by a fan to visit a strange rural town in the south right before the fan passes away. Despite having totally different motives, the two strangers find themselves in each other's paths and join forces to defeat this bizarre town full of cult-followers looking for human sacrifices to appease their violent god.

It's a difficult book to sum up a synopsis for, beca
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
This is my first Matt Hayward book. I really had no clue what to expect going in, other than some religious nutfuckery with a side of Lovecraft. Well, both of those elements were definitely present. As well as a splash of Alien that made me very happy at key scenes.

The Faithful was a good read. It hooked me immediately. I had to know what was happening. In a lot of ways it reminded me of an abbreviated version of The Stand (at least from what I read of The Stand). Lots of people use the ragtag b
Red Lace Reviews
Leo Cartwright's retirement plan doesn't go exactly to plan - not when he meets Christopher Tate after his very last show. Christopher has a secret to share, one that he entrusts with his favourite comedian. When Christopher ends up dead soon thereafter, what's Leo to do but act on the information he's been given, even if it's completely insane? Setting out to find the mysterious town named Elswich, Leo can't deny there's something off about the entire thing. For one thing, the community of the ...more
Tracy Robinson
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS! i went back and forth between 4 and 5 and decided to split the difference.

I came to this book in the midst of a reading slump - I hadn't read one sentence in three days and I just didn't want to. After 90+ books since May and end of semester grading for the college courses I instruct, I think my brain was just DONE. I spent those days binge-watching Supernatural and hanging out with my family.

Then I picked up The Faithful. I snuck in a few pages when the book first arrived and knew I
Frank Errington
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review copy

The beginning of Matt Hayward's latest novel finds Jonsey Morris trying to connect with his son, the problem is Caleb has no idea Jonesy is his father.

Then there's Leo Cartwright, a comedian who just recorded his final special and his last show as he prepares for retirement. After the show, Leo meets up with Christopher Tate who has cerebral palsy. Christopher shares a very strange story...

"'A strange town,' Christopher continued. 'In my dreams. People are… people are odd there. I kno
Glenn Rolfe
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Steve Stred
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews ***

The Faithful is my first go around with a Matt Hayward release. I have had my eyes on Practitioners that he co-wrote with Patrick Lacey for some time now, but haven’t picked it up yet. After reading The Faithful, that will change ASAP.

I have known about Matt Hayward’s work for some time, through the various social media channels and I knew going in that he was already a Bram Stoker nominated writer. I have a feeling after reading The Faithfu
David Murphy
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Matt Hayward has proven that he is a future driving force within this genre. I have read everything he has written and I truly believe he learns from each novel he writes. This is now my favourite by him.

The book has a real lovecraft feel to it so any fans of that style of horror will really love this. Once again Matt's true talent really shines in his characters. He writes believable characters that show development through out, you become engrossed in these characters and fins yours
Brandon
Alright. Here it is. The last book I'm reading of 2018. There's a few others I wanted to get to before the year was through, but that didn't work out...clearly, since it's almost February 2019.

Originally posted on my blog at http://undivineinterventions.blogspot...

I really just want to get my "best of list" done and move on, frankly. I want to get back to reading stuff from 1988.

And, as such, my best-of will be ready soon.

Now, I'm not sure if I am just burnt out on "modern horror" but, The Fait
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This book is a bit small town cult, a bit cosmic horror/Lovecraftian, and a lot character-driven. That is a lot to pack into one book, especially a horror novel with a lot of action in it!

The beginning of this book is flawless: a perfect introduction to each of the main characters ending with a bit of a wild confrontation that then segues back into how all this started. I thought it was great and I was completely invested.

I was not completely captivated by the writing style, which felt a bit und
Emily
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A strange town...In my dreams. People are...people are odd there."

The Faithful is a cult-related horror story with an emphasis on nightmares. This one sounded right up my alley, and I was happy to receive a copy of it.

Although I enjoyed the concept of this book, I had trouble connecting with it. I didn't really care about any of the characters except for Leo, and I felt like I was supposed to care about all of them. I'm honestly not sure what Kate's role in the story was - she was just sort of
Russell Coy
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're into redneck cults and cosmic horror, Matt Hayward's got a tale for you. THE FAITHFUL is a supernatural thriller that draws you in with believable characters and spare but flowing prose, all the while teasing you with glimpses of the horrors to come. The last few chapters won't disappoint, either, as Hayward delivers all the carnage your stomach can take in sickening Technicolor.

This a wonderful addition to the "small town cult" section of your horror bookshelf, one that comes with an
Tim Meyer
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun novel of cosmic horror. Silent Hill meets Lovecraft. Great character development and a mysterious plot really pulls the reader along. THE FAITHFUL is the definition of a page-turner. If you're into cults that worship cosmic deities, mysterious small towns that sit on the border between worlds, and a group of interesting characters that you want to see survive the madness being thrown at them, then this is the horror novel for you.
Jim Coniglio
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE FAITHFUL is the 3rd Matt Hayward novel I have read, and I have yet to be disappointed. As with his last novel THE PRACTITIONERS (with Patrick Lacey), Matt shows that he has a firm grasp on the cosmic horror feel while still keeping us grounded in the real world.

The synopsis from the book cover gives a good foothold into the story, and I do not want to give any story points away. So I am going to concentrate on the writing itself with no spoilers. At its core this is a character-driven novel.
Kimberly
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating - 4 out of 5 stars

What do a retired comedian, a middle-aged studio musician, and an Otherworldy god have in common?

They all meet in a town called Elswich.

In the Faithful, retired comedian Leo meets a young fan with cerebral palsy who is plagued by dreams that take place in No Man’s Land, which is somehow related to a town called Elswich. It seems as though the young man wants Leo to investigate further but he commits suicide before Leo can talk with him more. Leo sets out to the small
Cedar Hollow Horror Reviews
Matt Hayward's meteoric rise in the horror genre is wonderful to witness. He's dropped some great books, from BRAIN DEAD BLUES to WHAT DO MONSTERS FEAR? and now THE FAITHFUL. The Bram Stoker Award-nominated author delivers the goods with THE FAITHFUL. I dig small-town, backwoods horror and Matt Hayward does it so well. I can't get over how well the characters were fleshed out. The atmospheric dread alone is enough to satisfy any horror reader. Hayward does a great job foreshadowing the story. Th ...more
Noelle Kelly
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I became acquainted with Matt earlier this year when I read one of his short stories, Where the Wild Winds Blow, in the anthology Lost Highways by Crystal Lake Publishing. Matt also compiled my favourite anthology from the same publisher, Welcome to the Show and is a fellow Irish horror writer.

The Faithful is best read when you’re looking for an old school horror where good and evil collide.

From the beginning of book, The Faithful felt like a good, juicy old-school horror. We are introduced to r
V. Castro
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An evil eye hovering over a church? Count me in!
I read this book in a day because I had a sick child and I could not get enough. Matt pulled on my heart strings as well as my morbid curiosity when it comes to anything creepy.
You know these people aren't just crazy, there something darker at work that left me turning the pages like I was turning the corner in some dark maze, never knowing where the danger might be lurking.
The action and tension remained throughout only to stop when digging into
David
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I was right, this was one hell of an adventure. My review is posted here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1JU
Diamond
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one hell of a fun read! I love creepy isolated towns with secrets almost as much as I love haunted houses, and this story is a great addition. Hayward doesn't waste much time getting the action started, but gradually shows more of the why as it goes along, and builds up to one action packed, bloodbath of a climax!

The antagonists have a great blend of creepy cult, with a matter of fact practicality and a dash of Invasion of the Body Snatchers that made them particularly formidable and me
Kevin L
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars. This is a very entertaining and fast paced horror story with some very nice nods to The Cthulhu Mythos.

The characters were generally engaging and there is some good dialogue between them. The story falls apart a bit if you think about it too much, but that’s the peril of having an entirely evil village in a modern setting where you start thinking about school districts, US Postal service, USDA, state services, utilities, etc. in today’s hyper-connected world.

The book could’ve used a
Trisha Leslie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly brilliant read, loved it. The imagery is fantastic and the characters engaging - you become invested. Definitely got a bit of a Lovecraft vibe, mixed with old school B list horror movies. Supernatural and spiritual perfectly blended. Recommend to any and all horror fans
Carcosan
A fast-paced episode of Scooby Doo gone wrong: misfits battle a small-town cult in an RV Mystery Machine. Cool use of Apep as a Big Bad.
Kev Harrison
Dan Myers
Apr 20, 2019
Will Hartzo
Nov 18, 2018
Matt Hayward is a Bram Stoker Award-nominated author and musician from Wicklow, Ireland. His books include Brain Dead Blues, What Do Monsters Fear?, Practitioners (with Patrick Lacey), The Faithful, and A Penny For Your Thoughts (with Robert Ford). He compiled the award-winning anthology Welcome To The Show and wrote the comic book This Is How It Ends (now a music video) for the band Walking Paper ...more