Start by marking “Hope Rides Again (Obama Biden Mysteries #2)” as Want to Read:
Hope Rides Again (Obama Biden Mysteries #2)

Hope Rides Again

(Obama Biden Mysteries #2)

Obama and Biden return in this thrilling sequel to the New York Times best-selling bromance-mystery HOPE RIDES AGAIN, this time in Chicago.

Following a successful but exhausting book tour, Joe Biden is looking forward to returning home. However, before he does, he's got one last stop to make: Chicago, where the Obama Foundation is holding its first annual global economics f
Expected publication: July 9th 2019 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Hope Rides Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hope Rides Again

Andrew Shaffer
Oct 25, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to Hope Never Dies. Booksellers, librarians, and bloggers can request review copies on either NetGalley or Edelweiss+. It goes on sale July 9, 2019!
Beth
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
There was not a single chapter where I did not laugh out loud at least once. Delightfully campy and a much needed joyride. Almost like a Ferris Bueller's Day Off for Barry and Joe.

But that being said there were also some truth bombs scattered throughout the storyline.“Truth” had somehow become subjective. Who had seen that coming? The country was crumbling in slow motion, being dismantled and sold off under our noses in real time ."

Chicago is very much is a real character with revealing its ma
Jenna (Bookiemoji)
Just as much fun as the first book, with an uptick in the bro-banter, much less mopey-Biden and a twisty-turny mystery for the dynamic (Ex)ecutive Branch duo to sleuth. Surprisingly, the book grapples with quite a few relevant topics affecting the US today, including “truth”, corruption, poverty, guns and violence... And it asks the most pivotal question of our time: Will he run in 2020?

But first, there’s a mystery to solve, and Joe Cool won’t stop for nobody, not even his best pal, Barack. Deli
Jamie
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone's favorite bro-mance is back in action with another mystery to solve! This time they are on Obama's home turf and Biden learns the hard way that Chicago's history isn't exactly all in the past. Systematic racism, gun laws, and kids who are getting caught up in the system take this book a lot deeper than one would initially think. I cannot possibly love these books more and will be waiting eagerly for the next in the series.
Michelle
Mar 01, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor, mystery
There is a second book!
Jeannie
When I read these books Obama and Biden’s voices narrate the story in my head. Hilarious.
Zish
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun! Potentially better than the first?? I haven’t decided. Also, will there be another?
Megan
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This has all the unapologetic, unconventional, irreverent fun of the first one, with the added depth and nuance of dealing with Chicago's reputation and realities--and doing it well. Shaffer pokes gentle satire at the violence and corruption of the city, but never makes light of it or tries to downplay the horror of it. It's a careful balance that he's somehow found and packaged with the delightfully funny bromance we all know and love to make a book that feels simultaneously real and absolutely ...more
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second book in the Joe Biden/Barack Obama mysteries starts with Joe reading a pulp paperback detailing his exploits in Hope Never Dies, an amusing and unexpected bit. He's heading into Chicago to meet up with Barack, meet some people who may be beneficial to his potential presidential run, and maybe run into Oprah while she's hanging out with Michelle. Things don't go quite according to plan though, as a bright young man Joe met is soon found critically injured after a shooting in a rail yar ...more
Heather
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to get en E-ARC from Edelweiss. I absolutely LOVED book one in this series. I have shared it with so many people because it was absolutely perfect, in my humble opinion.

Book 2 was still great, but didn't live up to the first one for me. There were a lot more political lines in this one. The opinions of the current administration were blatantly stated rather than the subtlety that was mixed into book 1. I also felt that the bromance in this one was more contrived. It didn't
Rosemary
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second Obama-Biden mystery is even more fun than the first! In a deliciously meta beginning, Joe Biden starts his hard-boiled narration with a vent on the novel that's come out, on Biden's search for the murderer who killed his favorite Amtrak conductor, noting that it's all a "bunch of malarkey". Biden heads to Chicago to see Obama, who wants to introduce him to a wealthy potential backer for a Presidential run that Biden still isn't sure he's going to undertake. While in Chicago, a teen Bi ...more
Cathy
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard the news today and it's good news: Uncle Joe's running for president!

This wild caper has some glorious dialogue. For example:

B What I'm trying to say is don't take this the wrong way...but if you let out one more of them old man Bloomin' Onion seam-splitters in here, I'm going to feed you to the catfish.

I clenched my butt cheeks tight as a snare drum. I hadn't even been aware that my air whistle was letting off steam.

J It's not me. You've got the wrong man.
B Joe.
J I'm being serious.
B Ye
Lisa Swope
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You never think about the Secret Service except to be glad they exist. But wow, throughout this book, I felt bad for Steve, Obama's bodyguard, trying to keep Joe Biden in line as he and Obama sought justice for one of Obama's Rising Stars.

I also loved that Michelle, time and again, was the ace in the hole. Come back to us, Michelle!
Joe Jones
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, noir, series, humor
Joe Biden and Barack Obama are back with another mystery to solve! We also get a new setting as this time we visit Chicago. Just as fun as the first book and I hope this won't be the last one.
Marion
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope Rides Again by Andrew Shaffer is a rollicking, fast-paced story with former Vice President Joe Biden as the narrator. The escapes of President Obama and VP Biden are fun to read and truth be told, hard to put down. Looking forward to reading their next adventure!
LibrarianJennifer
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I enjoyed the first one more, I think because I was more "Biden nostalgic." However, this book was still humorous and still Barry and Joe getting the bad guy, just this time in Chicago.
Melissa
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Steve having to put up with these two.
Maire
Sara Rishforth
May 22, 2019
Rosemary
Apr 26, 2019
Andrew Shaffer is the New York Times bestselling author of more than a dozen books. He lives with his wife, novelist Tiffany Reisz, in Lexington, Kentucky, where he teaches at the non-profit Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning.

Obama Biden Mysteries (2 books)
  • Hope Never Dies (Obama Biden Mysteries, #1)