Start by marking “Lessons in Love” as Want to Read:
Lessons in Love

Lessons in Love

Falling in love is never easy…

Eleanor Manning is finally leaving behind her glittering but empty life in the city (and her soon-to-be-ex-husband) to return to the comfort of her childhood home in Apollo Bay.

She’s landed a lovely new job in her old primary school library and a flatshare with her bubbly best friend, Penny. So yes, she’s well and truly learnt her lesson w
Published June 11th 2019 by HQ Digital

Start your review of Lessons in Love
Finitha Jose
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first question that crept into my mind after picking up this book: why do a rebound love tale need 384 pages? The book answered itself after a few pages. When you have just lost your husband to your best friend for no fault of yours, it is hard to fall in love again and that also with someone who shares many qualities with your soon to be ex-husband. There is no guarantee about the way some people change, and that is a risk hard to take (though most of us do).
This is my third Belinda Missen
Gemma
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this and found the characters incredible likeable.
It is a gently, quick, easy and warm read .
I enjoyed the connection and chemistry between Marcus and Eleanor, and enjoyed the humour.
All in all a pleasant book.

I voluntarily read and reviewed this book, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Rebecca Raisin
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Belinda Missen is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. She has the unique ability to write descriptive and fast paced dialogue that keeps the story moving forward, as well as being laugh-out-loud funny, along with more heart-warming moments. Lessons in Love was a rollicking ride and I adored the setting of Apollo Bay. Her characters are always three dimensional, and you can't help fall in love with them all and wish they were your friends too. Hurry up with the next one, Belinda!
Julia
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lessons In Love by Belinda Missen is the most charming and amusing contemporary tale about second chances and love. I absolutely adored it.
Belinda Missen has created a wonderful set of characters that are likable and realistic. They are not perfect but have character flaws that make them human and easy to empathise with. The characters bounce their dialogue off each other in most amusing verbal volleys.
There is an air of lightness and love over the whole novel. It is a love that encompasses, tha
Lacey
Thank you to Belinda Missen, HQ Digital and NetGalley for a copy of Lessons in Love in exchange for an honest review.

"Why don't you, you know, stand up for yourself?"

This was my first Belinda Missen novel, but surely not my last! She had a wonderful way of writing that had me swooning and laughing out loud. Also, the drama !!! had !!! me !!! going !!! crazy !!! The thing I liked the most about this book was the empowerment aspect as well as the plot as it is not really heard of.

Eleanor Manni
Alison
Three and a half stars.

Eleanor Manning was married to a successful businessman, Dean, and had an enviable life of luxury in Melbourne until she discovers that her husband was having an affair with her best friend and another 'friend' was effectively aiding and abetting them. She returns to her home town to stay with her cousin Penny and take up the position as librarian in her old school.

On day one Eleanor is introduced to the impossibly handsome Marcus Blair, a fellow teacher, who epitomises ev
Terry Talks Fiction
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In her latest book, Belinda Missen brings her now trademark blend of flirty fun and side-splitting humour back to a new tale about what happens when love goes wrong, what happens when love goes right, and what we can enjoy while we're going along for the ride.
As usual, Missen drills deep into the local flavour of her book, revelling in the small-town feel of the piece and savouring the setpiece that it provides. In places, this book reads almost like a travel brochure - you want to visit this to
Cen-sational Reads
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s a tale of Eleanor who after the breakdown of her marriage decide to return to her home town. She ends up living with her cousin Penny.
She gets a job at her ,oval library and one her very first day there she meets the very handsome Marcus- But for her everything is still raw and she is not ready for any sort of relationship.
The more she bumps into Marcus the more she seems to warm to him.
But Eleanor is still unsure and she does give him mixed messages from time to time.
There is so much more
Katie Ginger
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now, if the blurb wasn't enough to get you ordering this book, then let me tell you why you should. First of all, from the very first page I was laughing and giggling as I read. Belinda is so funny and her characters come to life, jumping off the page and straight into your life.
Secondly, umm...a school library?! Who wouldn't love that as a setting!
And then, thirdly, Marcus is a fantastically swoon-worthy hero.
Belinda is brilliant with dialogue and it was always sharp, funny and snappy. And as
Sandy Barker
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a tale of finding your way when love has kicked you in the head. Beautifully drawn characters, who are endearing, and flawed and believable. A not-so-simple story of boy meets girl - heartfelt and laugh-out-loud hilarious. Belinda Missen is a wonderful writer.
Ms_prue
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
When we meet Ellie, she's on her way out of a bad place, looking to rediscover her true self after keeping it hidden for a very long time. It's a delight watching her blossom into herself through this book, and all the feels watching her struggle with letting someone close again, and finding out how to be happy. And Marcus really is unfairly attractive, especially in a suit.
Kathleen Gray
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OOOOOOH- Marcus! Eleanor really has had a rough time but she's moving on to happy now that she's left her rotten husband and moved home to Apollo Bay. She's got her BFF Penny, a great apartment, and a job she always wanted in the local school library. Then Marcus. He's hot, yes, but he's also nice. These two do the classic dance back and forth but Missen has done a really nice job not only with their dialogue but also with their personalities. Thanks to netgalley for the ARC. You're going to roo ...more
Cheryl
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Leaving behind her cheating husband, her friends, most of her possessions, her job, and the high life she had been living in Melbourne, we follow Eleanor Manning's journey back home to the beautiful Apollo Bay.

Moving in with her cousin, Eleanor wants to have a fresh start. She's got her dream job as the Librarian at her old primary school, something she dreamt about doing when she was a student there, and is hoping to find herself again. All appears to be going well, until Marcus Blair walks in
Christine (Queen of Books)
Thank you to NetGalley and HQ Digital for a free e-arc for review.

The synopsis for Lessons in Love sounded right up my alley, so I was surprised when it was a bit of a slow start.

This, unfortunately, was a reading experience in which I enjoyed the first half of the book more so than the second. Eleanor is working past a rough divorce, catching up with her cousin Penny, and starting a new job at the school she once attended. There's a handsome, kind, hard-working teacher introduced as a potentia
Michelle Ascott
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable story, with a host of likeable characters. Perfect holiday read
Joanne Cartwright
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! A lighthearted read with plenty of very funny moments and an ultimately very satisfying ending.
The book follows Eleanor as she returns to her childhood home (and school) following the dissolution of her marriage. We follow her into her first day at school, working in the library and running into all sorts of wonderfully described teachers, many of whom resonate with my memories of my school teachers with all their quirks and dodgy dress sense and the very occasion
Georgia
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Karschtl
I normally don't like those 'from enemy to lovers' stories. And didn't know that Marcus is supposed to be this cocky heart-throb who thinks a great deal about himself. But luckily this attitude doesn't last long, and soon he is just a kind-hearted guy who really seems to like Ella. She does too, very much indeed, but actually doesn't want a relationship with someone that every female under the age of 60 in Apollo Bay lusts after. Too much competition for her liking. So she vows to only stay frie ...more
Monica Mac
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my second read of a book by this author and I really enjoyed it.

Ellie finds herself living with her cousin Penny, in the village where she went to school herself, several decades earlier. The end of her relationship with her husband makes her understandably wary when it comes to putting her heart on the line again, and some of the things that Marcus says remind her a little too much of her ex. However, there is something about Marcus and when they are forced to work together, they disco
Isabell
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The was a weird read for me. I like the premise of the story. Penny was a fun character, there were some really funny moments and Marcus seemed quite lovely. I struggled with Eleanor though at various points.. After her experience with her ex her prickliness was understandable but she projected way too many of her issues with her ex on her relationship with Marcus and a lot of the times her irritation with him felt misplaced. She didn’t give him as much of a chance as he gave her and was more th ...more
Jo
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect if this book - for some reason I am not keen on books set in Australia/New Zealand - a bit random I know. But I was surprised. It was a lovely story and you were willing the 2 main characters to see the light and form a relationship. This is the second book I have read by this author and I like her style of writing. Thank you to the author and to TBC for the chance to read this title in exchange for an honest review.
Vikkie
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and HQ digital for the ARC in return for an honest review. This is a not so simple story of boy meets girl. This is the second book I’ve read by Belinda Missen and I have not been disappointed, both books have been a pleasure to read. This is Heart-warming and laugh out loud funny. I would recommend Belinda Missen books.
Anitajt
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
In the beginning I struggled with the characters, but I slowly started to warm to them mainly because of the setting, it reminded me of my school days both as a pupil and as staff. Ellie and Marcus’ relationship took a while to evolve each sending mixed messages. A gentle story of love after a shattering marriage and proving second time round can be better.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Kate
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Lessons in Love follows Eleanor Manning post divorce, moving back to her hometown and in with her cousin. She’s taking up a job in her old school library, she just wants a fresh start and to excel in her new job. Everything is looking promising until she meets Marcus, fellow teacher. Marcus is well dressed, handsome, all the females at school fall over him and he reminds Eleanor of her cheating ex husband so it is no surprise to find that they don’t get on.

We watch Eleanor and Marcus banter, con
Patricia
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kimberly List
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Margarida Veloz
This is book #3 for me from Belinda Missen. I have become a fan! In this book, we follow our heroine, Eleanor, as she starts a new life after the worst kind of betrayal (dirty-dog-hubby-sleeps-with-worlds-worst-best-friend-and-hey-everyone-knew-about-it-and-ran-interference-grrrrr). So, I am rooting for her from page 1. She does have some baggage though and has trust issues... understandably. She works through them, sometimes painfully slowly, as she becomes involved/uninvolved/involved with Mar ...more
Jenny
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great summer read, full of drama, fun, laughter and friendships, and of course falling in love. Eleanor is in the process of divorcing her husband and has decided to move back to her childhood home, Apollo Bay. Best friend, with a bubbly personality Penny is her new housemate and she has a new job lined up too, her only rule is not to fall in love again. This is easier said than done when handsome teacher Marcus appears on the scene, Eleanor is happy to keep it strictly ‘no ...more
Beccy Thompson
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the book club reviewers thank you
This is my first Belinda book but definitely won’t be my last!
I loved the premise of the book, second chances, lost loves and starting again.
Belinda has taken a traumatic moment and written about it in a soothing and caring way, she portrays Eleanor not as irreparably damaged but as hopeful. I love her characters and they way she supports them to gain strength
I really loved this book and have been recommending it to my friend
Kavanagh Koh
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was published just recently, congratulations to the author!
Lessons in Love was a pretty average read. Was it a bad read? No. Would i read it again? No.

It wasn't particularly impactful. The characters were pretty mediocre and so's the plot. The chemistry and romance between characters felt pretty abrupt and odd, and it struck me as unnatural.

The characters weren't as impressionable as i would hope they would be, but honestly, this just boils down to preference.

Despite my un-like of it,

• Four Christmases and a Secret
  • As Luck Would Have It
  • Snowflakes at the Little Christmas Tree Farm: A cosy and uplifting Christmas romance
  • What Happens Now?
  • Magic Under the Mistletoe
  • The Silent Dead (Solomon Gray Book 6)
  • The Angel Monument
  • Forgive No More (James Blake #3)
  • Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)
  • The Christmas Holiday
  • Savage Children (John Savage Action Thriller Book 3)
  • One Dark Night
  • The Claim (Hennessey #2)
  • A Deathly Silence (DCI Helen Lavery #3)
  • Lies, Lies, Lies
  • You, Me, Forever
  • A Gift in December
Author and sometimes foodie, Belinda is a ridiculous romantic who met her husband after being set up by a friend two states away.

Residing in country Victoria, surrounded by books, cat-fur, and half-eaten cake, Belinda divides her days between writing rom-coms, baking, and indulging her love of comic books.

As of 01 June 2020, I'll no longer be checking in on Goodreads. You can find me at belindamis