Start by marking “What She Found in the Woods” as Want to Read:
What She Found in the Woods

What She Found in the Woods

Running from a scandal at her New York private school, Magdalena heads to her family home to recover under the radar.

Over-medicated and under-confident, she's fearful she'll never escape her past.

Until she meets Bo out hiking. Wild, gorgeous and free, he makes her believe she might finally be able to move on.

But when a mutilated body is discovered in the woods, Magdalena
Published July 25th 2019 by Macmillan Children's Books

Start your review of What She Found in the Woods
The Nerd Daily
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Sasha Zatz

I always tell myself, thrillers aren’t really my genre. But most often, when I do read a thriller, I like it. The same goes for this book as I was pretty hesitant to pick it up, but when I did, I could barely put it down!

What She Found In The Woods is a dark and dangerous YA thriller about a rich girl who has fallen from high society amid a web of lies and medication. Magda then goes to stay with her grandparents in a small town by a
Meredith Mara
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a good YA thriller. And when I picked up WHAT SHE FOUND IN THE WOODS, I couldn't put it down. It's deliciously dark and twisted, and oh so good!

Stepping into the fragmented mind of main character Magdalena, who is freshly released from a nine-month stint in a mental hospital following the biggest scandal her elite New York school has ever seen, is a kaleidoscopic experience. Lena's brain is drugged up, and her memories are scattered. In bits and pieces of flashback, we learn what led to
Aoife
CW: Violence, gun-use, violence against animals (hunting), drug use - recreational and medicinal, mental health downward spiral.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review from the publishers/author via Netgalley.

Magdalena is running away from a glamorous NYC life that has turned sour and is staying with her grandparents for the summer. It doesn't take long for Magda to fall in with the old crown of rich kids she knew as a child, but she also meets a stranger in the woods one day while
MariaWitBook
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hope a lot of people will hear about this book! Because is the definition of a good thriller! Definitely a lot of research involved in writing such a book but the amazing twists and surprises?!?! Just awesome!!
Karen Barber
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
'Be like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under't' - the advice given to Macbeth by his wife before he commits the murder of King Duncan definitely sprang to mind as I was reading this. Everyone is hiding something, and it's not clear who to trust.
What She Found in the Woods is a pacy thriller, focusing on the story of a young girl with mental health issues who finds herself caught up in events beyond your worst imaginings.
Magda has - we know - done some awful stuff. She's heavily
Museofnyxmares
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I was provided with an ARC of this book by the publisher, in exchange for my honest opinion.

I don’t tend to read thrillers for some reason, but I always seem to enjoy them when I do and it was no different with this book. There’s just something about thrillers that pulls you in and makes your heart beat faster. Having said that, this was definitely in a class of its own, it was intricately woven and there were so many different layers to the story that left me so impressed. There were also so
Sasha
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gifted
-Featuring murder, mystery and self-discovery

I always tell myself, thrillers aren't really my genre. But most often, when I do read a thriller, I like it. The same goes for this book! I was pretty hesitant to pick it up but when I did I could barely put it down!
What She Found in the Woods is a dark and dangerous YA thriller about a rich girl who has fallen from high society amid a web of lies and medication. Magda then goes to stay with her grandparents in a small town by a forest…but all is not
Donna {Book Passion For Life}
Josephine Angelini is back with What She Found in the Woods and this time it’s a YA thriller. I’ve been a huge fan of the authors work ever since her debut novel Starcrossed released so I was very excited to see she was writing something different. And it was honestly a fantastic read.

The story follows a teenage girl Magda, who following a huge scandal at her private school in New York moves to a quiet town to go live with her grandparents after her psychotic break. There Magda tries to get her
Danni (_forbookssake)
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
Following a major scandal at her New York private school, which lead to a psychotic break, Magda has been shipped off to live with her grandparents in a quiet Pacific Northwest town, to regain control, and cut herself off from the world she’s used to.

Rendered emotionless, and unable to feel, by her extremely high dosage of medication, Magda spends her days in a fog. The only solace she finds is in the beautiful hiking trails behind her grandparents’ cottage. All of this changes during one of her
Nikol Popovics
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
When I was little, I always did the things I wasn’t supposed to do. I would sneak ice cream before dinner, steal my sister’s clothes and stay up way past my bed time. Okay, none of these were that bad, but I still fancied myself a rebel. Perhaps the most rebellious thing I did was watch TV shows I wasn’t supposed to, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and true crime documentaries.

I know I was a weird kid because I was obsessed with true crime (I still am). If this book had been published while I was
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
An intriguing read, clever plot, wonderful twists and very well written. A great YA thriller, not my usual genre but I was very pleasantly surprised with this read. A very addictive page turner.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Emmie (Oncemorewithreading)
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Pan Macmillan for providing me with a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

This book follows Magda who, after a scandal breaks out in her New York City private school, finds herself shipped off to her grandparents’ house for the summer. She is over-medicated, out of her comfort zone and incredibly uninspired to do anything. She spends her days helping her grandmother in the garden, volunteering at the local woman’s shelter for recovering addicts before
Jodie (jodie.loves.books)
This book is very different to anything I’ve read before! I enjoy YA and I love thrillers but combining the two together isn’t something I’m hugely familiar with.

In What She Found In The Woods, we follow Magda, a teenager who has just left a psychiatric hospital to live with her grandparents. We see how Magda’s mind works and follow the relationships she makes in her Grandparent’s small town. There are definitely lots of twists and turns throughout the story, but unfortunately they didn’t all
tinabel
A fast-paced YA psychological thriller with an unreliable narrator, that keeps you guessing at every turn.
Fine
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting YA thriller that has a creepy horror film feel to it.
I could see the ending coming but liked it nonetheless
Karen Whittard
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great teenage introduction to the thriller genre. This book is really clever with lots of twist and turns. I really enjoyed it.
Book-Lover Book Blog
For most of this story I was stuck on a 3/3.5 star rating because I didn’t feel like a psychological thriller. Mainly because it’s completely different to any I’ve read before... which is nice, refreshing, but not completely in a good way. Unfortunately, this has a level of bore to it for the most part, though the author’s style of writing was amazing and totally engaging, I just felt there was something off about this story. It’s kinda like, serial killer meet jungle book to be honest.

There
Tez
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You'll need spoiler/content warnings, so click with caution: (view spoiler)

I spoiled myself by first reading the author's note/acknowledgements at the book's end. But even that doesn't hint at how bloody absorbing this story is.

What She Found in the Woods is self-aware of the racism and classism that forms a key part of a subplot. The novel itself is
Rebecca
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was kindly sent an ARC copy by Netgalley for the purpose of review.

This was a thriller with a difference. I really enjoyed reading this, my first introduction to the author. Magdalena's back story and why she was staying with her grandparents was explored in depth and I do get the feeling she wasn't inherently bad and although involved, definitely took the fall for everyone else.

I did have an inkling about a certain character - although the twist soon changed that - only for it to twist again
Nikki
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
leonie
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
that was a wild ride ?! just w o w!! so many trigger warning for this one! and i’m glad that i still love angelini’s writing! this is the first ya thriller she ever wrote and it’s a lot more dark and gory than i anticipated but i liked it. kept me on my toes the entire time!
Belinda Fletcher
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A serviceable teen thriller. The pacing was a bit off at times for me - sometimes it was plodding, others it was racing along. Magdalena’s back story was built up to be something horrific and I was left a bit bemused by the reveal.
The insta love relationship was quite eye roll worthy and some of Magdalena’s skills/natural talents were a bit unbelievable after such a short time.
The book definitely has its place - I’ll have no shortage of kids to borrow it but it wasn’t quite enough for me.
Justine
I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

This one just wasn't my cup of tea! DNF at 176 pages.

It's a contemporary YA novel that's pretty evenly split between romance and thriller. The romance rubbed me the wrong way and the thriller bits weren't keeping me interested. I think this will work much better for contemporary YA readers.

CW: Animal death by hunting, drug abuse, suicide
Judith
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
What She Found In The Woods is an interesting thriller because there are lots of lies, red herrings, and dishonest characters throughout so it was difficult to know who to trust at any given moment. As a result, generally, the book was engrossing and I found it easy to keep reading.

Magda struggles with her mental health, and her personality somewhat reminded me of Camille from Gillian Flynn’s thriller novel Sharp Objects, as both feel smothered – not only by the constant surveillance they are
Monica
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Mental health, violence, drug usage, and hunting animals were all prevalent in the novel - warning to those that may be affected.

This book is a fascinating read, it's a mystery YA thriller that had me guessing what is real or not.

The protagonist Magda is an unreliable narrator so you are left wondering what will happen next. She has a mysterious past that has made her move in with her grandparents for the summer. She runs into Bo, a boy living in the woods with his family, and when a
ClaireEva
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Either 3.75 or 4 but I think I’m leaning towards 4?
RitaSkeeter
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, 2019
Bloated and monotonal
Gabriela
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS is what I call a good thriller.
Pam Sartain
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What She Found in the Woods by Josephine Angelini is about Madga, a teenage girl from New York, who has caused problems in her old life, and has come to live with her grandparents, somewhere she hasn't been for a couple of years, but where she used to summer every year, so there are other teens in the area that her grandparents fish up for her to socialise with again.

You find out more about Magda as you read the book, but you start out with a young woman who needs to take pills, and talks about
Claire
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Angelini is the type of author that creates flawed characters you cant help but fall in love with, Magdalena is the main character who is dealing with her own demons whilst falling in love and dealing with mysterious disappearances and murders in the town shes gone to to escape her past. What she found in the woods was a slow burning mystery that unravelled a little more with every page. This alongside an unreliable narrator created a tension throughout the book that didn't disappear until the ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• No Big Deal
  • Sanctuary
  • Deeplight
  • Furious Thing
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Million Pieces of Neena Gill
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • Perfectly Preventable Deaths
  • The Kingdom
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • The Burning
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Call It What You Want
Josephine Angelini is a Massachusetts native and the youngest of eight siblings. She graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in theater, with a focus on the classics. She now lives in Los Angeles with her husband and daughter.