Start by marking “The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work” as Want to Read:
The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work

The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work

A new approach to improving quality of life through your most accessible resource: your breath.

Internationally renowned yoga instructor Donna Farhi presents a refreshingly simple and practical guide to reestablishing proper breathing techniques that will dramatically improve your physical and mental health. Complete with more that seventy-five photos and illustrations, Th
Published November 15th 1996 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Breathing Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breathing Book

Nikki Magennis
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is really exceptional. Gentle, subtle, thorough and wonderfully useful. The author writes with such quiet authority it feels like a beginning 'inquiry' to even read her words. There are no quick fixes or easy answers in here, though, so don't buy it if you're not prepared to meet the author halfway and actually try doing some of the yoga-like work within.
Plenty of informative physiological information on breathing. Plenty more grounded but philosophical ideas on breathing, too. There'
Robin Mandell
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clearly written and well researched. I'm looking forward to using what I learned both in my own practice and in my work as a yoga teacher. I'm pretty sure I'll be referring to this book a lot in the coming months and years. Looking forward to reading other books by this author.
Jayney
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, yoga
I found it very difficult to find a book about yogic breathing despite it being integral to yoga practise. So, when I bought this book I was happy that I found what I had been looking for. Farhi's practises and explanations are easy to understand. There are very well drawn digrams which help you to comprehend the anatomy of more subtle breathing patterns (these are not always easy to feel). This book is great for anyone who is has an asana practice.

From a personal perspective I would say that t
Jan
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Just as I commented in my review of Yoga Body Mind and Spirit, this book is largely fluff. Farhi does not present many of the key pranayama techniques, and refuses to provide the Sanskrit. Her experiential exercises are good if you are a beginner. To me, this was not a helpful book for an intermediate or advanced student, or for a teacher trainee. Pass.
D
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Clear guide with delightful quotes.

Only recently have we reduced breathing to a mere respiratory exchange of CO2 and O2. Greek psyche pneuma means breath/soul/air/spirit. Latin anima spiritus means breath/soul. Japanese ki means air/spirit. Sanskrit prana connotes a resonant life force that is at no time more apparent to us than when that force is extinguished at the moment of death. Chinese hsi is made of 3 characters that mean 'of the conscious self or heart.' The breath is seen as a force tha
Laurie
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I practice yoga and guide yoga; from both perspectives this book is a must read. Written in 1996, Donna Farhi's guide is every bit as helpful and relevant now as it was then. I have been reading this book over several weeks (it was due yesterday!) and have taken copious notes on approaches that will surface in my personal practice and the practices I guide.

If this book or the author are interesting to you, you might find her November 2017 talk, Tradition, Innovation & Evolution - What makes
Becky
Apr 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
There are shreds of factual, helpful information in this book, but it is absolutely BURIED beneath the author's holier-than-thou attitude, ridiculous stereotypes (all New Yorkers have restricted chest breathing, don't ya know?), and absolutely awful pseudo New Age psycho babble. Essentially, the author pares down Eastern texts and teachings on pranayama for a Western audience, with some anatomy info thrown in, but her version of like a guided meditation, as she asks you to relax and ground is un ...more
Melanie
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an exploration of breathing that includes mindful practices. Although yogic work is included, this is not a deep look at pranayama. It is a very good support both for those looking to improve respiration in daily life, and for those looking for a mundane inquiry to apply to pranayama. I find it full of useful meditations for students looking for general meditations that follow their breath, as well as to prepare students for pranayama.
Leon Hermanson
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life
Awesome book! You think that breathing is breathing, what can be said about it? Lots actually. Donna Farhi takes you through it all with great exploratory exercises so you can experience what she is talking about. It's probably possible for you to breathe in an even more beneficial way, so read the book (and do the exercises!).
Joanne McKinnon
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Self-reflective practice

For me, meditation started as a yearly self-reflective period. Now I practice yoga and meditation daily. Still, something was missing. I tended to hyperventilate and this caused headaches and pain in shoulders and neck. It’s not until I was a few chapters in that I realized I needed breath works. Such a relief.
Luvena
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!! The book was a brilliantly refreshing blend of practices from various lines of thought and a lovely complement to yoga. I enjoyed it tremendously.
Cherie
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Essential pranayama book.
Heather
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books from yoga teacher training.
Mimi
Jun 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yogis
Shelves: forthespirit
i really like donna farhi. i had the opportunity to take a workshop with her and it really changed the way i practice yoga and move in general. one day i hope to study with her in new zealand. annie, you should read this.
Anne
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really exceptional and useful book so far - in yoga and especially in daily life. Have reduced amount of asthma med since I started reading the book, doing the exercises and incorporating these into life in general.
Heather
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book for anyone who wants to use their breath in ways to reduce stress and feel better. This book is extremely accessible for all readers and will make you completely fascinated by your own breath through all the guided inquiries.
Tracy Weber
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I only normally recommend Viniyoga books, but his one has some wonderful breath practices that I liberally steal for my teacher training program. A great text for people looking to explore the power of the breath!
Leticia
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
And, you thought you knew how to breathe. This book offers additional insights and exercises to help you achieve proper yogic breathing techniques, which inevitably lead to better breathing during your daily life.
Clara
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
I read this book for my yoga teachering training course and enjoyed the author's ideas, suggestions, and exercises to help broaden my knowledge and use of the breath in yoga and in life.
Mark
Skimmed copy via Summit. I believe I need this.

Put on-pause 26 April 2016 as have not touched it in a very good while.
Linda
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting perspective on breath work. I have read other things by this author and this is my favorite one so far.
Terri Kirkman
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
great book about using the breath to heal
Michelle
I think I very much need this book! My breathing techniques need serious work!
Mark
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great exercises to improve both your breathing and your awareness of your breathing. Even if you regularly practice yoga or meditation, these exercises can help give you new insight into the breath.
Rachelheart
Oct 13, 2017
Nikidisanto
Apr 22, 2017
  • Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Yoga Mat Companion 2: Anatomy for Hip Openers and Forward Bends
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Yoga: Discipline of Freedom: The Yoga Sutra Attributed to Patanjali
“To become a welcome vessel for the breath is to live life without trying to control, grasp, or push away. And how easy is this? The process of breathing is the most accurate metaphor we have for the way that we personally approach life, how we live our lives, and how we react to the inevitable changes that life brings us.” 0 likes