Start by marking “Burden of Truth” as Want to Read:
Burden of Truth

Burden of Truth

(After the Green Withered #2)

Burden of Truth is the highly anticipated sequel to After the Green Withered.

I thought I understood the truth.

I thought I knew the whole story.

But no one really did.

In a country defined by scarcity and control, Enora Byrnes leaves the watchful eyes and secret agendas of the powerful and enters a society living on the fringes. Life beneath the surf/>
Published November 17th 2018 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about Burden of Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burden of Truth

Start your review of Burden of Truth
Britt
...I think it’s safe to say this book was just as dark as the first.

While my favorite thing about book #1, After the Green Withered, was the world-building, my favorite thing about *this* book was how Enora’s life did a complete 360. She started out living in a seemingly waterless world, having to survive off of rations and extremely poor (and thirsty) conditions. Then her life picks up after being recruited by the DMC and, for awhile, everything looks like it’s going to get better.
Nicole Vanadia Davis
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am equally in love with and completely terrified by this sequel. The first book was frightening but the revelations of the second book made it so much scarier. The actions of the DMC were horrifying, even if tempered by later understanding. The actions of the "Good Guys" make you question which side you should actually be rooting for. Not to mention, our REAL world could look similar to this for our grandchild or their kids. And that to me is the scariest idea. Enora remained consistent, if a ...more
Donna Elliott
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book 2 is a must read. Well-planned and researched, Burden of Truth, is the sequel to an eye-opening story of a dystopian future on earth, when water and food are scarce, and a battle to create an evolved life form occurs. The book is captivating, and I stayed up late reading the final chapters. I really like the writing and character development, and my heart ached for Ander. The ending is thought-provoking and suggests a completely conceivable outcome. Given Enora’s choices, I wonder what I wo ...more
Jennie Swantz
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With The Burden of Truth, Ms. Ward has fully come into her own as a writer. The character development that was a highlight of After the Green Withered continues in this sequel, with new insights into Enora and a host of both new and returning characters. The reader is drawn into Enora's plight and the difficult moral decisions she must grapple with as she dives deeper into the resistance and uncovering the secrets within her world. The action is vivid and quick-paced, this book is definitely a p ...more
Stella
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Burden of Truth is the second in this series and Kristin Ward did not disappoint.
Very well written, well thought out and very well researched, the book compels the reader to reflect, think and perhaps wake up and realize that it is not the future mentioned, but is also the present slowly getting there.
There are various points to consider, as in: -
Do the 'Good Guys' merit the word 'good' even with the eventual explanation given as to their actions? What are the actual motives of
J.B. Richards
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Edgy & Powerful Dystopian Thriller!
Overview: Armed with knowledge and honed into a weapon for the resistance, Enora Bynes leaves the watchful eyes of the all-powerful Company and enters a society barely surviving on the fringes. Life beneath the surface brings her face to face with a world struggling to survive, and it is that revelation that causes her to make a fateful choice—to fight alongside the rebels and become what she had been trained to hunt—A traitor.

Kristin W
Lindsey
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, favorites, 2019
Karen Siddall
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Book 1, After the Green Withered, Enora and her partner, Springer, discovered that the Company was conducting experiments with human genetics to create a new human race – to replace the current one. Building from here, Book 2, Burden of Truth, Enora comes to realize that her childhood friend (and now, her commander), Bram, has sent her on specific missions to open her eyes and mind to what the Company has been going to the barely surviving population of what was once the United States: keeping resources bac ...more
Laetitia
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably a 3.7 stars for me.
A good ending to the duology.
I definitely think that the storyline was interesting. I enjoyed the characters although I got a bit frustrated with Enora when I realized that she didn't seem to care much about her friends' (mostly Springer's) backstory.
The writing was still quite good. There were a few more redundancies in the second book and the pace was not as enthralling as the first but it really picked up around 75% for a great ending.

(view spoiler) ...more
Joey Paul
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up having loved the first book. A world where water is the currency and the chances of survival outside the Company are slim. Faced with joining the rebels, with fighting for what they both believe is right, Enora starts to see a different side to both the fight and the world she lives in.; It's a heartbreaking tale that gives drops of hope before they are almost pulled away. An amazing story with a cautionary ending. I very much enjoyed it and can not recommend it enough!
Wayne Scace
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christina Sylvia
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so amazing! The characters are so real, you feel everything that is happening to them. It was very well researched and written. I keep hoping every book I read from this author becomes a movie! Loved it!!
Kellie-ann
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow loved the book wish there was another one
Proud Book Reviews
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Writing Style
After the unique style of After the Green Withered, I was expecting this one to follow the same style. What I found was that although there were elements that were still there, there were also elements that felt very similar to some other dystopian YA novels.

I still want to know what happens next. But I’m almost afraid to know because it’s so close to tipping into the realm of what’s been done multiple times already. Which is one of the issues I have with the YA ge
Vanessa Maldonado
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a word-Amazing!
This was quite the ride! Just when I thought I had the plot figured out, there was another twist! I was lucky enough to obtain an ARC (advanced reader copy) of this novel and let me just say it exceeded my expectations! The first novel was incredible and left me wanting more and this sequel truly did not disappoint. I was enthralled as I read every page and I was truly satisfied with the ending. I cannot wait to see what else Mrs. Ward has in store for us!
Elysia
Jul 19, 2019
Maggie
May 13, 2019
Staci Fecura
Jul 14, 2019
Mrs LIR Linda
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I cannot write much about the ending of this book as it would spoil the read for any wanting to get into this second book. What I can say is that this follows Enora's quest to find salvation for normal people in a land where there is NO or not much water. She finds that those that rule are trying to genetically modify humans...........................
The question here is: is it moral to survive and at what price????
Tania Petro
Aug 10, 2019
Jennifer LeBlanc
Aug 28, 2019

• Disciples of Trikaal
  • Fixin' To Die (Kenni Lowry #1)
  • Chardelia Foss and the River of Fear (Adult Edition)
  • After the Fall: The Complete Series
  • Billy Boyle (Billy Boyle World War II, #1)
  • Dog!
  • Ties of Blood and Bone (The Books of Binding, #2)
  • Cupid's Connection (Single On Valentine's Day Book 3)
  • Hamburger Heist (Felicia's Food Truck One Hour Cozies Book 2)
  • Fit to Be French Fried (Felicia's Food Truck One Hour Cozies Book 1)
  • Prelude: The Expanding Seas of Earth
  • Mila's Shift (The Darkest Day, #1)
  • A Veiled Deception (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #1)
  • Life According to Poetry
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg, #1)
  • Fire Cursed
  • Clara (Stories of Lorst #1)
  • Unearthly Remains
Kristin Ward has loved writing since middle school but took thirty years to do something serious with it. The result is her Best Indie Book Award-winning YA novel, After the Green Withered, followed by the sequel, Burden of Truth. In her YA SciFi-Fantasy, Rise of Gaia, Kristin intertwines her environmental passions with fantasy elements, creating a world that holds a secret deep within its heart.

She lives in a small

After the Green Withered (2 books)
  • After the Green Withered