Start by marking “Diary of a Cat: True Confessions and Lifelong Observations of a Well-Adjusted House Cat” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
If cats could talk, here's what they would say -- if they felt like it. Leigh Rutledge (acclaimed by everyone from "Dear Abby" to People magazine as the writer who best understands the feline perspective) presents a cat's very own diary that reveals the intimate secrets and private reflections of a neighborhood tom. Day by day through a full year, readers will discover jus ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Galahad Books (first published November 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Cat

Robin Spillane
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
my husband has alzheimers and doesn't read anymore.I found a copy of a dairy of a cat" and read it aloud to him.we have both laughed nd enjoyed it so much that now i must try and get his other books about cats.we have a young cat and the observations the author has picked up on are so true to all cats and their owners.wonderful book for anyone who has or has had a cat.
Julie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Quick, light read but kind of pointless. Not that funny or interesting.
Robin Mandell
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Round up to 2.5 stars.
Tammy
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats, animal-pov
Written as the daily diary of an unnamed house cat, Diary of a Cat shows you the world through a feline perspective. Cat shares what he sees in his own neighborhood and not just the birds but what his human neighbors are up to as well. You will discover what Cat is thinking while he stays at a single speck on the wall, how it feels about a new kitten moving into his house and why sleeping is such a vital all-day activity.

Rhonda
Jun 07, 2008 rated it liked it
i like my animal stories light and cheery without the sadness that is all too real for so many critters in the world. this one had some really cute moments, no doubt, but there was also sadness and reality and a truly odd, macabare (albeit darkly humorous) moment that was unexpected ( though lauded by those of us who like animals more than most people we know), so i can only give it a 3. never fear - the ending was a good one.
Angela
Mar 18, 2010 rated it liked it
A great book for passing time, especially if you are a cat lover. It is literally presented as a year in the life of a cat, written from the perspective of a cat. A bit poignant in places, hilarious in others. I recommend it.
Beverly J.
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am so conflicted about this book. There were a few cute moments, which is what I thought I was getting with this sort of book. However, there were very strange, serious moments that were positively incongruous in a book of this nature.
Jessie
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was easily my favorite book when I was maybe 8 or 9. I don't even know how many times I've read it. As if I would be so into cat diaries. Come on. But yeah, I'll admit this is still on my bookshelf in my room, hah.
Amber Hatfield
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very cute, I have never read any animal books before and found myself laughing out loud during the witty dialogue coming from this cat. Definetly recommend it if you are a cat person.
Marissa
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
A very cute story about a very eventful year in a cat's life. Not literary genius by any means, but a nice quick book to remind you of how much your pet means to you <3
Tami Montano
A humorous look into the mind and lives of the noble animal the cat. It was ingenious and light-hearted read.
Mandi Martin
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it
A cute, easy read with some good natured humor. Nothing brilliant, but it wasn't meant to be.
Brandi
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, i-own-it
Calling all cat lovers... A fun, humorous and fast read about a year in the life of a cat. Totally adorable!
Meagan
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-readable
One of my favorite books of all time! You'll laugh, you'll cry. This book really makes you feel something for the characters, even the cats. I cannot sing its praises enough!
Sandy Haramut
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a cat lover so reading this book reminded me of my cat Augie. It was a joy to read.
Deborah
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet book that lets readers see life through the eyes of a cat. It's a quick read with some good insight into people. I loved it.
Miraimaniar
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is simply beautiful. A totally relatable story for cat owners. The conflict and the ending are really touching that I cried a bucket.
Efrat
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lent
One of my favorites!
Linda
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice little light book for a break from serious reading about a cat living with a single elderly person. Things to ponder in this book for those of us facing retirement.
April Lyn
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I only read this book because my mom bought it for me and I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I pretty much just left it in the bathroom. Ha.
Julia
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Very quick, cute, light read. Great for cat-lovers
Lily