Start by marking “Austentatious: The Evolving World of Jane Austen Fans” as Want to Read:
Austentatious: The Evolving World of Jane Austen Fans

Austentatious: The Evolving World of Jane Austen Fans

The amount of fan-generated content about Jane Austen and her novels has long surpassed the author’s original canon. Adaptations like Clueless, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Jane Austen’s Fight Club, and The Lizzie Bennet Diaries have given Austen fans priceless opportunities to enjoy the classic texts anew, and continue to bring new and younger fans into the fold. Now, ...more
Published June 3rd 2019 by University Of Iowa Press

To ask other readers questions about Austentatious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Austentatious

Start your review of Austentatious: The Evolving World of Jane Austen Fans
Georgiana 1792
An overview on Jane Austen fanfiction written by two scholars that are also members of the fandom. They explore some of the most successful adaptation, such as Clueless, The Lizzie Bennet's Diaries, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I would have appreciated something more.
In the last section, they talk about shipping between different characters, to reward every kind of fans, even though they know that the stories will always end in the same way.

Una carrellata sulla fanfiction legata a Jane A
Martina
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book is an interesting and original look at the Jane Austen fandom. I've been a Janeite since I was 16 and it totally changed my way to see things and my future prospects. Even if I'm a huge fan of her, this book taught me new things about the fandom and I really appreciated that.
What I really enjoyed was seeing how the fandom evolved during all these years and how all the people involved comm
Kristin Davison
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs

I would like to thank netgalley and University of Iowa Press for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Really interesting look at the Austen fandom. I learned a lot, highlighted a lot and have lots of things I want to follow up on.
Melissa
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun yet still academic examination of Austen fan culture. I really appreciated Chapter 2 about the adaptation of Austen’s Emma into the movie Clueless (total Betty!). Good chapters at the end about Austen and LGBTQ+ themes/ships. It’s a little short, I would have liked a few more chapters poking into more crevices.
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2020, non-fiction
I think the tension between fan and scholar was a shaky line for them to maintain tone so it felt a bit inconsistent. And I wanted more of a deep dive into fanfic and the fandom rather than movie adaptations.
Alexia Cambaling
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc-netgalley
I received a free copy of this in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to NetGalley!

I picked up this book not because I'm a huge Jane Austen fan, but because I have an interest in online fandoms and how they create their own niche subcultures. I've dipped my toes a few times in fandom a few times and I like the idea of it, but I never really could muster enough energy to get actively involved in one.

This book was a legit eye-opener. I didn't know the Jane Austen fandom could be so intense
Brittany Smith
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free e-copy of this book from University of Iowa Press through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions in this review are my own.

I have started this review about 5 different times hated how it was going every time. I have so much I want to say and my review just kept becoming super long and wordy, it was awful and unreadable. In order to combat that I am going to try and do my review via bullet points instead of paragraphs:

* I don’t normally read non-fi
Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
(I somehow got this book before the release date, so hello and be forewarned, as I have forbidden knowledge and quotes...)

"But they are not romances! They are biting social commentary!" <- this isn't an accurate quote to demonstrate the way Jane Austen's works are discussed in this book (romance is a huge part of it), I just thought it was funny... and relatable. Haha.

This is the first non-fiction book I've read in over a year, and I'm reading it in the wake of a renewed interest in Jane Austen
Gizem-in-Wonderland
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a ride for fans of Jane Austen's literary works, aka Austenmaniacs or Janeites.

Austentatious is not standard non-fiction that I am used to. It is a book has been written by scholars as well as fans of Austen but it smells a little academic both in terms of language and content. However, it does not mean that it's dull, on the contrary, it is quite captivating.

Austen's fame has surpassed her life and reached the skies over the last century thanks to the internet and technological developmen
Faouzia
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I am a big Jane Austen Fan (big surprise!), the kind who finds every couple of months a reason to re-read one of her books, who hunts for books or movies/TV adaptations based on her story (although I'm a bit selective, i LOVED Lost in Austen but i don't even consider to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies), the kind who swoons at the sight of Colin Firth's Mr Darcy at the lake scene. Well, you get the idea.

This book was fun and surprising as it showed a different side of Austen's fandom. I real
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Full-disclosure: I consider myself to be a pretty big Jane Austen fan so naturally I was intrigued by a book that took a scholarly approach to the massive fan base of Jane Austen's works and how an early 19th-century writer has remained relevant in a 21st-century world. This book is definitely something that would probably be more enjoyable to a fan that is more deeply-embedded in online fan culture ...more
Rita
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, non-fiction
When I picked up Austentatious, I wasn't expecting to like it this much. I'm not a huge Jane Austen fan, but I am very interested in online fandoms. And I am SO HAPPY that Luetkenhaus and Weinstein explore how fan-made content is created, shared, and experienced!

I absolutely adored seeing the validation of online fan communities by these two authors. So many people dedicate hours upon hours of their day just to share their passion for a specific work of art. And while everything operates in a "g
The Idle Woman
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Some of you may remember that I reviewed a book on Sherlock fandom a while ago, which was published by the University of Iowa Press in their Fandom and Culture series. I’ve now been lucky enough to get another review copy from the same series, looking at the face of modern Jane Austen fandom. How has this very limited selection of original material been reworked, adapted and interrogated in the modern world? How can fans possibly find new things to say about novels that are 200 years old? You’d ...more
Book Him Danno
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 1\2 stars
As a young girl I was introduced to Jane Austen by my sisters and mother who loved her books. I enjoyed several of her books ad I can't wait for my girls to one day read and fall in love with. I knew that people were fans of Jane Austen but honestly I had no idea how big it was.

The authors repeat themselves several times and over work some of the stories to the point it becomes little boring. A reason it is isn't a solid 4 star review.

The different views on how Jane Austen effected wo
Tony
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am actually giving this a 1.5. When the authors of this book do the theory, they do it very well. The entire chapter about Lady Susan is well done and is the stand out. When they apply theory to the fan fiction, that is clever and worth reading. When they give paragraph after paragraph of summary about the fan fiction or the movie Clueless or some other adaption, it wanders and seems off message. I understand that not everyone will have read every single piece of fan fiction and thus, some kin ...more
Darcysmom
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an ARC of Austentatious from Netgalley and University of Iowa Press for free in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed Austentatious. Holly Luetkenhaus and Zoe Weinstein wrote a well researched and highly readable book about fandom. Jane Austen is an excellent lens to look at fandom through - there is a wealth of fan-created content to consider. The authors did a particularly good job of looking at the various types of gatekeeping in fan communities and in the academic world,
Jennie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Austentatious is not a book about Jane Austen and her work but a book about Jane Austen Fan Fiction. Now I have read some of the Austen tangent books and remakes of her work that have been more mainstream published but I have not been overly aware of any of the fan fiction groups out. That being said I did find all of the different types of fan fiction interesting and the various changes people do to the stories to make them relate more to our modern world.

I think of fan fiction as a modern way
Rebecca
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this much more than I thought I would. I’m a huge Jane Austen fan and have read dozens of books on her world, life and works. This was something different it’s covers how authentic fan communities form and function. Lots of information and Austen anecdotes are included too. all in all this book is great fun and very interesting.
I’d highly recommend it.
Kristin
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read. It's suitable for Jane Austen fans as well as scholars and the authors combine those two angles nicely. One can notice the authors are scholars, but as they are Austen fans at the same time, they make a point that it is possible to be both. They also make use of both angles, which makes it a well researched book without being scholarly show-off.
Lizbeth
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from the authors, publisher and Netgalley.com. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

A humorous look into the online places where the Janeites such as myself, roam and wax poetic on our favorite author.

5 out of 5 stars. Highly recommended.
Cristie Underwood
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book gave unique insight into the continuing appeal of Jane Austen with readers. There have been countless movies made based on her novels over decades. The authors explore what the typical fan enjoys about Jane's work.
Savannah
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun and entertaining academic look at the Jane Austen fandom. As a self-proclaimed Janeite I actually learned about a lot of fandom that I hadn’t previously known. This was an interesting read.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I only read a little bit of this. It was too 'modern' for me - I really prefer more traditional studies of Jane Austen.

I received this free ebook from Net Galley
Bonnie
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cbr11
A fun and informative glimpse at the Austen fandom! This would pair well with Devoney Looser's The Making of Jane Austen. 4.5 stars.
Beth SHULAM
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
A book about Jane Austen fandom. I Thought I would like his more than I did. I appreciate the time and research the authors put into this book.
D
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Mostly skimmed. Nice to look critically at fandom adoration and additions to the Austen-verse. However, I think I'm more of a purist than I realized and I say that as a FOC.
Carlos
Nov 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Yuck.
Lisa
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Skimmed through it...as I'm not the biggest fan of JA fan fiction. But those who are may immensely enjoy!
Seema Rao
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Man I enjoyed this. It spoke to me, and maybe it is bc I’m a fan. Any austenite would love it.

Thank you to Netgalley for the free arc in exchange for an honest review.
Barbara
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2019, nonfiction
I enjoyed this—a fun, yet also academic exploration of Jane Austen fandom in its many permutations, from films to fanfic. There was some great literary analysis of Austen adaptations (from Clueless and the Pemberley Digital series to the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie), and the discussion of fandom sparked a lot of thought for me as to how I interact with texts as a fan (beyond just the merch!).

• Recipe for Persuasion (The Rajes, #2)
  • Grown-Up Pose
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: And Other Questions About Dead Bodies
  • Meg and Jo
  • Miss Austen
  • The Other Bennet Sister
  • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 14: X Marks the Spot (Lumberjanes, Vol. 14)
  • Girls Like Us
  • Reverie
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 13: Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • God Land: A Story of Faith, Loss, and Renewal in Middle America
  • Time After Time
  • A Thousand Letters (The Austens, #2)

News & Interviews