Start by marking “Austentatious: The Evolving World of Jane Austen Fans” as Want to Read:
Austentatious: The Evolving World of Jane Austen Fans

Austentatious: The Evolving World of Jane Austen Fans

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  16 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The amount of fan-generated content about Jane Austen and her novels has long surpassed the author’s original canon. Adaptations like Clueless, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Jane Austen’s Fight Club, and The Lizzie Bennet Diaries have given Austen fans priceless opportunities to enjoy the classic texts anew, and continue to bring new and younger fans into the fold. Now, ...more
Published June 3rd 2019 by University Of Iowa Press

To ask other readers questions about Austentatious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Austentatious

really liked it 4.00  ·

Martina
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book is an interesting and original look at the Jane Austen fandom. I've been a Janeite since I was 16 and it totally changed my way to see things and my future prospects. Even if I'm a huge fan of her, this book taught me new things about the fandom and I really appreciated that.
What I really enjoyed was seeing how the fandom evolved during all these years and how all the people involved comm
Kristin Davison
Shelves: arcs

I would like to thank netgalley and University of Iowa Press for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Really interesting look at the Austen fandom. I learned a lot, highlighted a lot and have lots of things I want to follow up on.
Alexia Cambaling
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc-netgalley
I received a free copy of this in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to NetGalley!

I picked up this book not because I'm a huge Jane Austen fan, but because I have an interest in online fandoms and how they create their own niche subcultures. I've dipped my toes a few times in fandom a few times and I like the idea of it, but I never really could muster enough energy to get actively involved in one.

This book was a legit eye-opener. I didn't know the Jane Austen fandom could be so intense
Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
(I somehow got this book before the release date, so hello and be forewarned, as I have forbidden knowledge and quotes...)

"But they are not romances! They are biting social commentary!" <- this isn't an accurate quote to demonstrate the way Jane Austen's works are discussed in this book (romance is a huge part of it), I just thought it was funny... and relatable. Haha.

This is the first non-fiction book I've read in over a year, and I'm reading it in the wake of a renewed interest in Jane Aus
Gizem-in-Wonderland
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a ride for fans of Jane Austen's literary works, aka Austenmaniacs or Janeites.

Austentatious is not standard non-fiction that I am used to. It is a book has been written by scholars as well as fans of Austen but it smells a little academic both in terms of language and content. However, it does not mean that it's dull, on the contrary, it is quite captivating.

Austen's fame has surpassed her life and reached the skies over the last century thanks to the internet and technological developmen
Faouzia
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I am a big Jane Austen Fan (big surprise!), the kind who finds every couple of months a reason to re-read one of her books, who hunts for books or movies/TV adaptations based on her story (although I'm a bit selective, i LOVED Lost in Austen but i don't even consider to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies), the kind who swoons at the sight of Colin Firth's Mr Darcy at the lake scene. Well, you get the idea.

This book was fun and surprising as it showed a different side of Austen's fandom. I real
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Full-disclosure: I consider myself to be a pretty big Jane Austen fan so naturally I was intrigued by a book that took a scholarly approach to the massive fan base of Jane Austen's works and how an early 19th-century writer has remained relevant in a 21st-century world. This book is definitely something that would probably be more enjoyable to a fan that is more deeply-embedded in online fan culture ...more
Rita
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, review
When I picked up Austentatious, I wasn't expecting to like it this much. I'm not a huge Jane Austen fan, but I am very interested in online fandoms. And I am SO HAPPY that Luetkenhaus and Weinstein explore how fan-made content is created, shared, and experienced!

I absolutely adored seeing the validation of online fan communities by these two authors. So many people dedicate hours upon hours of their day just to share their passion for a specific work of art. And while everything operates in a "g
The Idle Woman
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Some of you may remember that I reviewed a book on Sherlock fandom a while ago, which was published by the University of Iowa Press in their Fandom and Culture series. I’ve now been lucky enough to get another review copy from the same series, looking at the face of modern Jane Austen fandom. How has this very limited selection of original material been reworked, adapted and interrogated in the modern world? How can fans possibly find new things to say about novels that are 200 years old? You’d ...more
Book Him Danno
3 1\2 stars
As a young girl I was introduced to Jane Austen by my sisters and mother who loved her books. I enjoyed several of her books ad I can't wait for my girls to one day read and fall in love with. I knew that people were fans of Jane Austen but honestly I had no idea how big it was.

The authors repeat themselves several times and over work some of the stories to the point it becomes little boring. A reason it is isn't a solid 4 star review.

The different views on how Jane Austen effected wo
Darcysmom
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an ARC of Austentatious from Netgalley and University of Iowa Press for free in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed Austentatious. Holly Luetkenhaus and Zoe Weinstein wrote a well researched and highly readable book about fandom. Jane Austen is an excellent lens to look at fandom through - there is a wealth of fan-created content to consider. The authors did a particularly good job of looking at the various types of gatekeeping in fan communities and in the academic world,
Gianna
Shelves: 2019, nonfiction
A lovely exploration of fan culture and specifically Jane Austen fan culture. While this book didn't teach me a lot of new things, I am familiar with fan culture and with a lot of the Jane Austen fan culture, it did show me some new insights into her work, particularly about LGBTQ+ representation. Now I definitely want to reread Emma and Pride and Prejudice again.

Overall, a fun read!

I received a free ARC of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Rebecca
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this much more than I thought I would. I’m a huge Jane Austen fan and have read dozens of books on her world, life and works. This was something different it’s covers how authentic fan communities form and function. Lots of information and Austen anecdotes are included too. all in all this book is great fun and very interesting.
I’d highly recommend it.
Lisa
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I only read a little bit of this. It was too 'modern' for me - I really prefer more traditional studies of Jane Austen.

I received this free ebook from Net Galley
Alice
Jun 03, 2019
Matt
Nov 28, 2018
Zoe
Nov 27, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote