Start by marking “What the Sea Wants” as Want to Read:
What the Sea Wants

What the Sea Wants

The windswept, rocky shores of Maine are inhabited by a people as rugged and individual as the coast. Tree-lined, fog-shrouded coves guard ancient mysteries. And in a small coastal town, a young girl named Victoria Winslow has a strange, unyielding attraction to the sea. On the last day of summer, Victoria will discover the truth about the sea's awful power and neither her ...more
Published August 15th 2006 by Lizstar Books

To ask other readers questions about What the Sea Wants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Sea Wants

Abigail
Victoria Winslow had always felt a deep connection to the sea. Attuned to its ever-changing moods, she spent her days haunting the shore near her Maine home, painting, and longing for the day that the sea would "take her." When she is rescued from near-drowning by her neighbor, Sam, it seems as if her hoped-for homecoming has been derailed. But can the sea be thwarted? Or will it find a way to take what it wants...?

Stories of mermaids, selkies, and other creatures of the sea, who, stranded on la
Leah
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 of 5

A novella with imagery so powerful and evocative I could smell the ocean, feel the harsh winter wind against my cheek, hear the rocking chair on the porch. The ending was abrupt and ambiguous, but it fully supported what Grannie Foster taught Victoria, "Superstitions are just superstitions, but every rumor, every legend starts with a grain of truth."
Rain Misoa
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sea lovers and people who just want a fast read.
Recommended to Rain by: Library
For such a short book, it really wasn't such a BAD read. I was expecting this to be somewhat horrible only because I wasn't particularly fond of the writing style. There were times when the writing seemed... strange. Perhaps redundant is a better word. Whatever it was, it just didn't do it for me. And the illustrations were hit and miss. Julia Blum has a simplistic art style, which isn't bad. However, sometimes it seems as if she put a lot of effort into creating a beautiful piece... where as ot ...more
Lauren
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl named Victoria who has a passion for painting pictures of the sea. She gets wrapped up in all the fictional stories her grandma tells her about the sea and all the rumors and tales of the Caption's House, which they happen to live right near. Victoria learns that the sea "takes what it wants" and she is convinced the sea has human feelings. She almost drowns by the shore until her friend, Sam, saves her life but.... we later find out she didn't want to be saved. She eve ...more
Tracy Banghart
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm re-releasing this as an ebook with a new cover. This version is the story only; it does not contain the illustrations featured in the original, hardback edition.

What the Sea Wants is a short, strange story, very different from my full-length novels. It was inspired by summers spent in Deer Isle, ME with my grandmother and will always hold a special place in my heart as my first published story. I hope you enjoy it!
Marilyn
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 7th - 10th grade
I really wanted this book to work - I love tales of the sea and mermaids, selkies, and whales. I love the cover and wanted the story to be mysterious and beautiful to go with the cover. It wasn't. It came across to me like a mediocre high school creative writing assignment. I found the pen and ink drawing amaturish; it was hard to believe the cover was done by the same artist. Oh well, I'll stick to reading fairy tales about mermaids and selkies.
Bobbie Jo
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Short novella with very nice writing - just left me hanging though. Looking forward to reading the first published novel By Blood though because she is a very descriptive writer.
Elysia
May 24, 2009
Abigail
Jun 29, 2014
Jennie
rated it did not like it
Aug 08, 2009
Eliza
Mar 11, 2014
Angela
Apr 06, 2014
Tracy Banghart grew up in rural Maryland and spent her summers on a remote island in northern Ontario. All of that isolation and lovely scenery gave her the time to read voraciously and the inspiration to write her own stories. Always a bit of a nomad, Tracy now travels the world Army-wife style with her husband, son, cat, and sweet pupper Scrabble.