Start by marking “Men Against the Sea” as Want to Read:
Men Against the Sea

Men Against the Sea (The Bounty Trilogy #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  715 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
This novel, the second in the "Bounty Trilogy", follows the fortunes of Captain Bligh and loyal crew members after they have been cast adrift in an open boat. Battling against starvation and attacks by savages, they eventually navigate their ill-equipped boat to the safety of the East Indies.
Published February 6th 2014 by Amereon Limited (first published January 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Men Against the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men Against the Sea

Dipta Akash
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing is that its based on a true story! About seven thousand kilometers, in an open boat! Captain Bligh, I wish I could be like you.

One thing I saw here again. People tend to break down and show their utmost character during survivals, thus you can know them. Always interesting.
Walter
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-maritime
In this, the second installment of the Bounty trilogy, the jettisoned crew of Captain Bligh's 23 foot launch travels 3600 miles from the island of Tofoa to the Dutch colony of Timor. This novel is based on a true story of Captain Bligh's miracle, whereby he saved the lives of 18 of the 19 men who were marooned with him on the little launch to fend for themselves in the vastness of the South Pacific.

Honestly, I enjoyed the "Mutiny on the Bounty" better, but "Mutiny" had it all - adventure, the in
Bernard Norcott-mahany
Captain Bligh is my hero. I know: you’re likely reading that statement and assuming that I’ve gone off the deep end. Captain Bligh, a hero?! But I’m not alone in saying that.

So says Thomas Ledward, Acting Surgeon of HMS Bounty and the other loyal seamen put off the Bounty by the mutineers, when they took control of the ship on 28 April 1789. While the mutineers had enough scruples not to execute Bligh and those who remained loyal to him, the only alternative they had was to set them adrift in t
Michael T
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Masterful writing
Kashfia Nehrin
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
though took a little time to finish it but it's fact that captain Bligh is one of the greatest inspirational characters I have ever met while reading books. Awesome classic and yes indeed this is Mr. Captain Bligh has got an awesome personality. The days in sea is the perfect reminder for all , the perfect adventure and struggle.
Rolf
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic tale. I read it when I was in high school and enjoyed it again while we were in the South Pacific recently.
Mark
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ships-and-seas
Men Against the Sea is a nice piece of historical fiction, set in 1789, based on the nautical log and personal writings of Captain Bligh chronicling the 3,652 mile voyage 19 men jammed into a 23 foot row-boat. These guys were on the losing side of the whole mutiny on the Bounty thing. I liked Nordhoff and Hall's exhaustive research which produced a book that was both entertaining to read and as factual as possible. After weeks of eating nothing but bread and water these guy's hit the Great Barri ...more
M. Patrick
It took me a while longer to read because I couldn't get into it as much as I did the first. Also, the first book gave me such a negative view of Bligh that I found it hard to read this point of view which praised Bligh's leadership skills frequently. However, it was excellently written, short, and despite the fact that they are simply floating at sea for 3/4 of the book, it was never dull (unlike Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea). By the end, as much as I hate to admit it, I found that I now hav ...more
Hope
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Men Against the Sea is not as good as Mutiny on the Bounty, but how much purchase can you get with 19 men on a 23 foot launch with only 8 inches of freeboard amidships? I seem to be going through a 12 year old boy phase. At any rate, this is a truly amazing and horrifying account of Captain Bligh's heroic sail to safety over 3600 miles of the Pacific Ocean in an open boat. Fascinating, unimaginable, and a true story.
Chris
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, biographies
Fascinating account of an open water journey across the south Pacific. Bligh's crew mutiny and send him off the ship with a small crew of faithfuls. An expert seaman, he demonstrates incredible leadership when he pilots this small rowboat and a handful of men across hundreds of miles of open ocean. Their bravery and resourcefulness are surpassed, in my opinion, only by Earnest Shackelton who made a similar trek under conditions even more trying.
Brian
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You couldn't ask for anymore out of this story. You know exactly what you're going to get, but it delivers.

The narration is straightforward and likable, and the perspective seems appropriately representative of the times. I empathized with and admired the men's feelings for the sturdy launch that ferried them along their impossible journey, and felt a sadness once it had to go. I only wish I knew more/could remember some of the many boat and sailing terminology used.
George Heidemark
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is volume 2 in the Mutiny on the Bounty trilogy. The first book is the best known of the series but this book is a ripping yarn. It tells the tale of the loyal crew members of Captain Bligh who were set adrift by mutineers. They crossed the Pacific in an open boat crossing 3,600 miles of sea. They faced storms, Natives and starvation. A good old fashioned read.
Muriel Schwenck
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the Bounty Trilogy over and over when I was a kid. Several times, I read the trilogy over weekends, disregarding my homework of course. Yes, I was a fast ad voracious reader.
Men Against the Sea was always my favorite. Nordhoff and Hall are good reads for any age. I still enjoy and re-read their novels over many decades.
Charly
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
This was the second book of the Bounty Trilogy and I found it very entertaining. It is the story of the Captain and men who were cast off the Bounty in a 23 foot launch and their perils as they crossed 3600 miles of open sea to find a European presence in the Southern Hemisphere. A much better read than I expected.
Barbara
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is nice to be able to follow the mutiny from all the different points of view and also to see what happened to the three different groups involved in this mutiny. This was the second part of the story and I have just finished the third, can't wait to see what happens. This is also a very compelling read due to the hardships the crew has to endure.
Mike
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting true-life tale of what happened to Captain Bligh after the mutiny on the Bounty. Cast adrift with 17 loyal crew members in an open lifeboat, he navigated them across 3,600 miles of open sea to the Dutch East Indies. This novel is very short and doesn't have the twists, turns, and emotional details of Mutiny on the Bounty, but it's a very enthralling sea adventure.
Mary
Mar 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story (based on historical records) of Captain Bligh's voyage of over 3600 miles with 19 men in a small boat over open sea to reach land after being ousted from the HMS Bounty. Bligh comes across a bit too nice in the book, although he certainly deserves kudos for getting all but one man (who was killed by unfriendly natives on an island on the way) back to safety.
Rebecca
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
4 stars

A grand retelling of Captain Bligh's remarkable voyage with 19 men in an open boat across 3600 miles of ocean. Regardless of Mr. Bligh's actions which contributed to the mutiny, this trip is nothing less than heroic.

Should be read shortly after Mutiny on the Bounty.
Bill Westenberg
Nov 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the Bounty trilogy, this book takes you on the stunning voyage of Bligh and the other members of the Bounty who were mutinied against. Another wonderful look in to human nature. One leaves the book with very conflicted feelings towards Bligh.
read_gooder_more_fastly
One really gets to see the a very different side of Captain Bligh in this work, a hero vs. the tyrant of the first book, "Mutiny on the Bounty."
Amulya Saikia
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible Story
Michael
So far, a very interesting and enjoyable trilogy. I hope to stumble across the next installment some day.
Billie
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another library discard I picked up. 2nd in set. Can't put them down.
Tommyb
Fiction,Historical fiction
Joebacca
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
3600 miles in a boat. story of survival

now I want to go sailing
Courtney
Nordhoff, Charles Bernard
Hall, James Norman
The Bounty Trilogy

In compilation only.
Dave
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible account of survival. Just the right length and description.
Kerry
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting read, reminiscent of "Shackleton's Journey." An incredible endurance saga, all the more exciting for being true.
Gail Henry
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved the Bounty Trilogy as a teen.
  • Tales of the Fish Patrol
  • The War for All the Oceans: From Nelson at the Nile to Napoleon at Waterloo
  • Broadsides: The Age of Fighting Sail, 1775-1815
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • The Line Upon a Wind: An Intimate History of the Last and Greatest War Fought at Sea Under Sail: 1793-1815
  • The Long Fuse: How England Lost the American Colonies 1760-1785
  • The Voyage of Patience Goodspeed (Patience Goodspeed, #1)
  • Submarine!
  • The Day of the Scorpion
  • Midshipman Bolitho and the Avenger (Richard Bolitho, #2)
  • The Sea-Hawk
  • Stories for Christmas
  • Cochrane: The Real Master and Commander
  • The Bounty Mutiny
  • Far Tortuga
  • Shamans Through Time
  • The Captain from Connecticut
This describes the 20th century novelist, most famous for Mutiny on the Bounty. For the 19th century journalist and author, see Charles Nordhoff.

Charles Bernard Nordhoff was an English-born American novelist and traveler.
More about Charles Bernard Nordhoff...

The Bounty Trilogy (3 books)
  • Mutiny on the Bounty (The Bounty Trilogy, #1)
  • Pitcairn's Island (The Bounty Trilogy, #3)