Start by marking “The Odyssey (All-Action Classics, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Odyssey (All-Action Classics, #3)

The Odyssey (All-Action Classics #3)

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  131 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Welcome the next entry in the fabulously received and brilliantly created ALL-ACTION CLASSICS series. The brainchild of former Marvel Comics artist Ben Caldwell, these graphic novels are the freshest, coolest approach to the classics ever. Each one takes a famous work of fiction and translates it into a kid-friendly comic book narrative--with full-color illustrations and a ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about The Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Odyssey

Jota Houses
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
Una adaptación de la Odisea, limitada, pero muy original en lo visual y bastante decente en la narrativa. Mejor que las antiguas Joyas Literarias Juveniles de Bruguera.
Jill Kenna
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great little book and the artwork was super cool
Sarah Sammis
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
My first introduction to The Odyssey by Homer was from excerpts we read in high school. I took a Greco-Roman classic literature course in college and got a chance to read the epic in its entirety. Thus began my love affair with Homer. I've lost track now of how many times I've re-read The Odyssey or how many retellings I've either seen or read.

I can of course name a few favorite retellings: The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson #2) by Rick Riordan, Ulysses by James Joyce and the Coen brothers' film
Nicola Mansfield
May 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Reason for Reading: This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I hadn't read it by the time judging was due as it was not a contender by that time and I'm just now getting to it.

I really don't have a lot to say about this adaptation of Homer's Odyssey. I did not enjoy it, and in fact found it confusing and rather boring. Let me preface that statement by saying I am a great fan of Greek mythology and have read *many* retellings of The Odyssey and will continue to do so as I love the story. However, this
I picked this up more for my middle school students than for me. And for them, I think this will be great. It covers the basics of The Odyssey, from the Lotus-Eaters to Calypso and back home to Ithaca. I can totally see my 7th graders reading this and, I can only hope, remembering this when they read this in high school.

But as for myself as I reader, I liked it, but it had issues. Like many other story adaptations turned into graphic comics, it feels really choppy. Calypso comes out of nowhere w
Lars Guthrie
Nov 19, 2010 rated it liked it
At first, the illustrative style and the lettering of this comic book adaptation put me off. Too weird and busy. Like listening to a stranger's voice where tone and accent take some effort to get past, though, once I got into it, the 'All-Action Classic' started working for me. Eventually, I completely forgot I had thought the presentation hard to decipher, and the story began to carry me along.

Tim Mucci does a skilled turn here at collapsing many events into minimal space, touching on almost a
The Odyssey isn't one of my favorite stories (Homer's classic is more episodic than I like), but if I'm going to read it, Ben Caldwell's All-Action Classics version is how I want it.

The All-Action series is excellent. It emphasizes the best parts of any book, but in a way that flows beautifully as a story and retains the spirit of the original work. There have been many attempts to adapt classic literature for kids - or just for people who don't think they like classic literature - but All-Acti
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I was kind of hoping that this would be an easy way into familiarising myself with such a epic classic but although I found the story quite riveting and engrossing I did find that there wasn't a whole lot of explanation or background, which meant there were times when I was a little confused by who was who. Don't get me wrong though, this is a good adaptation from what I can see but I think it would probably help if you knew a bit about the Odyssey beforehand. The story-telling itself and the il ...more
Beth Huddleston
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Starting with the artwork (because I happen to be a sucker for artwork), I liked the style. It was weird and strange in the best possible way.

That being said, it helps to know the longer version of the Odyssey first. This story chops it up beginning with a mere reference to the Trojan horse. If I were to use this in my classroom, I think I would need to either provide some context to the different adventures or pair it something my students would recognize like Percy Jackson.

The overall theme
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this well enough despite its tendency to jump around in the storyline. The illustrations are done in a very interesting style and very enjoyable to look at. Where this fails though is in it background information. Without a working knowledge of the story, a reader would have little hope of understanding all that goes on in this plot line, and those that do know what should happened will saddened by the loss of large chunks of the story. That being said, this is a quick read and would s ...more
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Our local library is doing an adult summer reading program. They are trying to mix things up a bit and encourage adults to try new things. As a part of that they asked adults to read a graphic novel. So I found this graphic novel adaptation of The Odessey. It was, predictably, a very easy read. Since I already know the plot of The Odessey it wasn't too hard to follow along with the graphic novel. But if that had been my first exposure to the epic I'm sure I would have been completely lost!
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I would like to say that Tim Mucci’s ability to convert such an epic text into a cogent, seamless, entertaining flow of graphic novel gold is nothing short of amazing—but to be honest, that’s what I have come to expect from him. The man is scary-good, and with Ben Caldwell’s superb art, The Odyssey deserves premium real estate on the bookshelf.
Joseph Young
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
A comic adaptation of one of my favourite epics. However, it cuts off too much, glosses over many of the lessons that you would learn from the original epic, particularly the major theme of life after the glory of war, and substitutes it's own less powerful parables. Artwork: not really a fan of this style nor the text style.
Sep 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh-reads
Meh and also phhhhhtttttttt. The art is fabulous. No one's even gonna contest that. But the storytelling? Thoughts don't flow between the panels. The result is a really herky jerky GN where half the time you can't figure out what's just happened. There are better comics on the Greek Gods out there. Heck, there are better comics on The Odyssey out this year alone! Totally meh. B
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Odyssey graphic novel edition is a nice way for reluctant readers to get the essence of this epic tale. The illustrations are done very well and other than maybe a bit of backward story telling at one point, that caused a bit of confusion with this otherwise linear retelling, it is a good read.
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Distracting errors, inconsistent use of a framing device, similar-looking characters, and of course, THOSE NAMES detract from a not-bad retelling of some of the classic episodes out of The Odyssey. There's no getting around the names, of course, but they should at least be spelled the same throughout the book.
Jan 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
If you don't already know The Odyssey, its plot and its characters, this graphic novel will completely baffle you. The action moves too quickly to make sense to those unfamiliar with Homer's epic tale. At best, this is an esoteric pleasure for those who are well-read (and recently refreshed on their Homer).
JR Snow
This was a fun little warm up to reading the Odyssey. An overall good job was done of condensing the real thing into a graphic novel, however I would have excluded far less even if it made the book longer.
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ggn11noms
Great book - fun tale, fun dialogue, and fantastic art! Especially recommended for fans of Disney-style art, and fans of the Percy Jackson series who want another engaging way to learn about Greek mythology.
Olivia Kearney
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This book kind of jumps all over the place because it has superheroes, villains, mythical takes place at the sea, and there's just a lot going on. I don't really like these type of books.
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: high-art
Really love this art style, which completely made the graphic novel for me. The plot followed The Odyssey well, but was a bit rushed because of the short length. An excellent intro to this epic for kids.
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The graphics are fun, the story retold in a compelling, modern way with a touch of humor. What's not to love?
Luke Hanes
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Only complaint is that I got lost a few times... little hard to follow at times.
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
It was pretty good and it had a happy ending- a lot of dying though...
Mathew Carruthers
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not a bad rendering of the epic poem. Enjoyable reading and eye-catching art. When in doubt, re-read the classics in a new format.
2009 pub date
Elisabeth P.
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This is probably the only version of the Odyssey that I will read. It was easy to get the story and was very interesting.
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
Good cursory intro to the classic. (I'm trying to work my way up to reading it.) However, misses key parts of the story because it's for kids & wants to end on a "happy note". Great intro though!!
Kristin Fletcher-spear
it's sort of annoying that the reviews bring up all the odyssey versions and not just this gn version of the classic.

reviewing for lmc.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

All-Action Classics (4 books)
  • Dracula (All-Action Classics, #1)
  • Tom Sawyer (All-Action Classics, #2)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (All-Action Classics No. 4)