Start by marking “The Odyssey (All-Action Classics, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Odyssey (All-Action Classics, #3)

The Odyssey

(All-Action Classics #3)

Welcome the next entry in the fabulously received and brilliantly created ALL-ACTION CLASSICS series. The brainchild of former Marvel Comics artist Ben Caldwell, these graphic novels are the freshest, coolest approach to the classics ever. Each one takes a famous work of fiction and translates it into a kid-friendly comic book narrative--with full-color illustrations and a ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about The Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Odyssey

Start your review of The Odyssey (All-Action Classics, #3)
Calista
A very condensed story, but they did good conveying the parts of the story they told. The hit the high points of the Odyssey and the end did ok. It's not bloody really and there is minimal violence.

It's a great way to get into this classic. Myths really were action packed and they are still good story. They were told over and over again so that they really work. Just think of all the authors and re-writers of this story before it even got to Homer and he put his stamp on it.

This works in graph
Mia Barrenechea
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I never read The Odyssey before and now I want to read it!
Nicola Mansfield
May 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Reason for Reading: This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I hadn't read it by the time judging was due as it was not a contender by that time and I'm just now getting to it.

I really don't have a lot to say about this adaptation of Homer's Odyssey. I did not enjoy it, and in fact found it confusing and rather boring. Let me preface that statement by saying I am a great fan of Greek mythology and have read *many* retellings of The Odyssey and will continue to do so as I love the story. However, this
Holly
I picked this up more for my middle school students than for me. And for them, I think this will be great. It covers the basics of The Odyssey, from the Lotus-Eaters to Calypso and back home to Ithaca. I can totally see my 7th graders reading this and, I can only hope, remembering this when they read this in high school.

But as for myself as I reader, I liked it, but it had issues. Like many other story adaptations turned into graphic comics, it feels really choppy. Calypso comes out of nowhere w
Kim
If you don't already know The Odyssey, its plot and its characters, this graphic novel will completely baffle you. The action moves too quickly to make sense to those unfamiliar with Homer's epic tale. At best, this is an esoteric pleasure for those who are well-read (and recently refreshed on their Homer).
Sinéad Boehme
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Good for kids but it was alright for me...
Sarah Sammis
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
My first introduction to The Odyssey by Homer was from excerpts we read in high school. I took a Greco-Roman classic literature course in college and got a chance to read the epic in its entirety. Thus began my love affair with Homer. I've lost track now of how many times I've re-read The Odyssey or how many retellings I've either seen or read.

I can of course name a few favorite retellings: The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson #2) by Rick Riordan, Ulysses by James Joyce and the Coen brothers' film
Lars Guthrie
Nov 19, 2010 rated it liked it
At first, the illustrative style and the lettering of this comic book adaptation put me off. Too weird and busy. Like listening to a stranger's voice where tone and accent take some effort to get past, though, once I got into it, the 'All-Action Classic' started working for me. Eventually, I completely forgot I had thought the presentation hard to decipher, and the story began to carry me along.

Tim Mucci does a skilled turn here at collapsing many events into minimal space, touching on almost a
Kate
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Michael
The Odyssey isn't one of my favorite stories (Homer's classic is more episodic than I like), but if I'm going to read it, Ben Caldwell's All-Action Classics version is how I want it.

The All-Action series is excellent. It emphasizes the best parts of any book, but in a way that flows beautifully as a story and retains the spirit of the original work. There have been many attempts to adapt classic literature for kids - or just for people who don't think they like classic literature - but All-Acti
Sam
I was kind of hoping that this would be an easy way into familiarising myself with such a epic classic but although I found the story quite riveting and engrossing I did find that there wasn't a whole lot of explanation or background, which meant there were times when I was a little confused by who was who. Don't get me wrong though, this is a good adaptation from what I can see but I think it would probably help if you knew a bit about the Odyssey beforehand. The story-telling itself and the il ...more
Lotuslulu
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this well enough despite its tendency to jump around in the storyline. The illustrations are done in a very interesting style and very enjoyable to look at. Where this fails though is in it background information. Without a working knowledge of the story, a reader would have little hope of understanding all that goes on in this plot line, and those that do know what should happened will saddened by the loss of large chunks of the story. That being said, this is a quick read and would s ...more
Beth Huddleston
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Starting with the artwork (because I happen to be a sucker for artwork), I liked the style. It was weird and strange in the best possible way.

That being said, it helps to know the longer version of the Odyssey first. This story chops it up beginning with a mere reference to the Trojan horse. If I were to use this in my classroom, I think I would need to either provide some context to the different adventures or pair it something my students would recognize like Percy Jackson.

The overall theme
Mike
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Our local library is doing an adult summer reading program. They are trying to mix things up a bit and encourage adults to try new things. As a part of that they asked adults to read a graphic novel. So I found this graphic novel adaptation of The Odessey. It was, predictably, a very easy read. Since I already know the plot of The Odessey it wasn't too hard to follow along with the graphic novel. But if that had been my first exposure to the epic I'm sure I would have been completely lost!
Dmitry Belyavsky
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
it's been a while since I've read the original, but I seem to recall most of the plot points, and I think that memory is what allowed me not to be completely lost in this adaptation.
The graphic novel kinda jumps around between the major events in the story, but loses a lot in the process.
It was akin to reading "cliff notes" as opposed to the full story.
There are a lot of characters in the story and they are not introduced very clearly.
The angular, almost sketch like style of illustration was a
Peter
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I would like to say that Tim Mucci’s ability to convert such an epic text into a cogent, seamless, entertaining flow of graphic novel gold is nothing short of amazing—but to be honest, that’s what I have come to expect from him. The man is scary-good, and with Ben Caldwell’s superb art, The Odyssey deserves premium real estate on the bookshelf.
paula
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Distracting errors, inconsistent use of a framing device, similar-looking characters, and of course, THOSE NAMES detract from a not-bad retelling of some of the classic episodes out of The Odyssey. There's no getting around the names, of course, but they should at least be spelled the same throughout the book.
Joseph Young
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
A comic adaptation of one of my favourite epics. However, it cuts off too much, glosses over many of the lessons that you would learn from the original epic, particularly the major theme of life after the glory of war, and substitutes it's own less powerful parables. Artwork: not really a fan of this style nor the text style.
Shelli
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Odyssey graphic novel edition is a nice way for reluctant readers to get the essence of this epic tale. The illustrations are done very well and other than maybe a bit of backward story telling at one point, that caused a bit of confusion with this otherwise linear retelling, it is a good read.
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ggn11noms
Great book - fun tale, fun dialogue, and fantastic art! Especially recommended for fans of Disney-style art, and fans of the Percy Jackson series who want another engaging way to learn about Greek mythology.
Heidi
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Really love this art style, which completely made the graphic novel for me. The plot followed The Odyssey well, but was a bit rushed because of the short length. An excellent intro to this epic for kids.
JR Snow
This was a fun little warm up to reading the Odyssey. An overall good job was done of condensing the real thing into a graphic novel, however I would have excluded far less even if it made the book longer.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
it's sort of annoying that the reviews bring up all the odyssey versions and not just this gn version of the classic.

reviewing for lmc.
Peacegal
Jun 10, 2010 rated it liked it
3.5 stars---the illustrations, which resemble late-era Disney cartoons--are a highlight.
Snow
Jul 14, 2010 rated it liked it
reviewing for Good Comics for Kids ...more
Matthew
Mucci’s telling is a zippy condensing of The Odyssey into a graphic novel format. It primarily focuses on Odysseus’ voyage back to Penelope.
Mathew Carruthers
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not a bad rendering of the epic poem. Enjoyable reading and eye-catching art. When in doubt, re-read the classics in a new format.
Jill Kenna
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great little book and the artwork was super cool
Hamster
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Painless adaptation of a book I never wanted to read. Loved the art. Plot was pretty weird. Glad we’ve come a long way in the story telling department.
Cj Crawford
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is about Greek mythology. The main character is Odysseus. Odysseus was sailing and a big storm came in and he got lost and stayed three places where 1 of 3 of the places he had to like escape. When he escapes he has a really good idea of how to escape. And the art in the book is really good. If you don’t like to read a lot then I recommend this novel because personally I don’t like to read and this book has a lot of pictures, the book isn’t that long and it really good to read.

• The Horla
  • The Jester (The Riyria Chronicles #2.5)
  • The Old Nurse's Story
  • The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, #1)
  • When the Game Was Ours
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Aladdin and Other Stories
  • The Art of Zootopia
  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse -The Art of the Movie
  • The Art of Coco
  • Fairy Tail - 100 Years Quest T03

All-Action Classics (4 books)
  • Dracula (All-Action Classics, #1)
  • Tom Sawyer (All-Action Classics, #2)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (All-Action Classics No. 4)