Start by marking “Leading Through Conflict: How Successful Leaders Transform Differences into Opportunities” as Want to Read:

As our world grows smaller, opportunities for conflict multiply. Ethnic, religious, political, and personal differences drive people apart—with potentially disastrous consequences—and it's the task of perceptive leaders to bring them together again World-renowned mediation expert Mark Gerzon argues that leaders have failed to rise to this challenge. Our organisations, scho ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published April 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Leading Through Conflict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leading Through Conflict

Jiri
Dec 31, 2016 Jiri rated it it was amazing
Amazing book about transforming difficult times into incredible opportunities ... An agreement is not the commitment that leads to clarity and happy delivery.
Barry Davis
Feb 16, 2016 Barry Davis rated it really liked it
A fascinating, in-depth yet practical book on leadership and conflict. The author begins by describing the three main types of leaders: Demagogues (lead through fear, scapegoating and overwhelming others), Managers (use a limited definition of “we,” typically protecting their home turf) and Mediators (seek to act on behalf of all to innovate and transform conflict).
According to Gerzon and his colleagues, the Mediator possesses and applies eight tools (each has a chapter dedicated to describing t
alex-and-r
Oct 26, 2012 alex-and-r rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Книга полезная. Но дочитал я ее с трудом, т. к. приходится продираться через просто неимоверное количество воды! Закончив ее, я понял, как себя чувствовали золотодобытчики во времена золотой лихорадки: перебираешь тонны пустой породы, чтобы найти буквально крупицы действительно полезных мыслей и рекомендаций.
Возможно это связано с тем, что книга "американская" и для подобных книг считается нормальным пережевывать одну и ту же мысль в сотнях и сотнях цитат, "жизненных" историй, примеров из опыта
Roshan
Aug 09, 2009 Roshan rated it liked it
Did a workshop with the author in grad school and liked it so wanted to read his book. Ok, so he gave me an autographed copy and my Catholic guilt ensured I had to read it or feel forever disrespectful. Can't claim to have "enjoyed it" but it did take me back to grad school leadership courses - "see the whole table", "go to the balcony" - and so some ensuing gratitude for the walk down memory lane. Useful too.
Michael Ryan
Jul 24, 2011 Michael Ryan rated it it was amazing
A high-quality and important book. All books from HBS Press tend to be, which is pretty impressive.

Some great tools and a process for conflict resolution. And, lets face it, that is what managers do all day long.

I may not be patient enough these days. If something is important I can no-longer be bothered beating all around the bushes and watering it down to appease all parties. Older and grumpier...
John George
Jun 07, 2010 John George rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
was ok, a good 6 point plan of how to attack conflict. Rating depends on if you are looking for something because you are stuck in something.. I was not so this seemed normal management steps and so the rating
David Dalka
Jun 10, 2012 David Dalka rated it really liked it
Discusses the important case of GM plant in California that was worst performing - then Toyota ran it and it became best performing.

good quotes in front of chapters
Rusty
Jun 24, 2008 Rusty rated it liked it
This came at a very key time when everything around me had been totally transformed. I picked up some nuggets on organizational change.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it it was amazing
A must-read book on leadership for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Shaun
Shaun rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Benjamin Calderon
Benjamin Calderon rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Mohamad
Mohamad rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Marcus
Marcus rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Linda Munden
Linda Munden rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Amit Chatterjee
Amit Chatterjee rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Yaroslav
Yaroslav rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2014
Rephael
Rephael rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Ayane Ish
Ayane Ish rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Ovirad
Ovirad rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2012
groundmar
groundmar rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Sergey Chebotarev
Sergey Chebotarev rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Omar Rodriguez
Omar Rodriguez rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Heidi Johnson
Heidi Johnson rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2010
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2011
Brian Virtue
Brian Virtue rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Molly Murray
Molly Murray rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2012
Tiffany Burt
Tiffany Burt rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2014