Start by marking “Mark Twain on Travel” as Want to Read:
Mark Twain on Travel

Mark Twain on Travel

Experience the character of America, both the grimy and the golden, through the restless words of one of literature's most beloved authors.
Published June 1st 2007 by Lyons Press (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mark Twain on Travel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mark Twain on Travel

Emma
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book has snippets of Mark Twain's works on "travel", and so while I enjoyed the individual stories, I yearned for them in their entirety and in their context. I would say this book frustrates in that you wish you had not begun it and had just started reading Mark Twain himself. I gave it 2 stars because it has piqued my interest in Twain, and I shall endeavor to read all his books on his travels.
Jill
May 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, biographies
Interesting book - excerpts from the places Twain traveled when he was earning a living as a travel writer, and then a bit of other stuff. You really do get a feel for the places, and he writes with great dry humor with some sarcasm thrown in. Makes me wish I had been able to sit around and listen to him talk.
Mary
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
i love mark twain - most of the time. some parts of his books bog down. therefore, this book is great cuz it is a collection of stories from his travel books. you get the good parts without the slow parts. you just gotta take everything with a grain of salt :)
Alix
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting compilation of travel anecdotes not particularly captivating in its entirety but I love Twain's pen style and the almost orientalist depiction of foreign lands. A good read for travel lovers and wanderlust folk.
Christopher
Apr 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Some of the stories are more interesting than others, but the writing is fun, unique and clever.
Blake
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Twain is a very funny man and this was a very enjoyable look at his extensive travels and it follows a nice path around many parts of the world, giving a great pre-automobile look at travel.
everyone must read this book! it's amazing how traveling hasnt really changed, even with all the advances of the last 100 years. :)
Anne Hainsworth