Start by marking “Goodbye Mousie” as Want to Read:
Goodbye Mousie

Goodbye Mousie

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews

One morning a boy finds that his pet, Mousie, won't wake up. The truth is Mousie has died. At first the boy doesn't believe it. He gets very mad at Mousie for dying, and then he feels very sad. But talking about Mousie, burying Mousie in a special box, and saying good-bye helps this boy begin to feel better about the loss of his beloved pet.
Published November 1st 2004 by Aladdin (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye Mousie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye Mousie

Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the closest thing to a perfect death-of-a-pet book I've ever seen. No euphemisms, no metaphors, abundant acknowledgement of the validity of a small child's feelings - both sorrow and anger.

Wonderful pencil and watercolor drawings by perhaps my favorite realistic illustrator of all time - Jan Ormorod - are the perfect accompaniment to Robie Harris's sympathetic but no-nonsense text.
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book helps kids to understand sad concept of losing a pet, from a young child's perspective.The prose is very nice, and possesses an easy-to understand format. And each page is filled with beautiful color illustrations
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a book that does not address what happens to the soul after we die. It doesn't discuss things like heaven, and whether mice go there. I prefer books that don't talk about heaven, so that was a plus. I think that's better left up the the individual family to discuss. The book addresses what those of us who are left behind deal with.
There are some helpful parts to the book. Losing someone you love can lead to denial, anger, sadness, and a need to do something to honor the one who was lost
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
Unfortunately, our culture often sees pets, especially small ones, as replaceable. A child’s very real grief over the loss of a small pet may be belittled. Goodbye Mousie is a breath of fresh air in this regard.

The text acknowledges even grief for a small pet is difficult and legitimate. A young boy wakes up one morning and finds his pet mouse has passed away during the night. The parents’ patience and sympathy over a child’s grief is depicted wonderfully. They allow him work through his feeling
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Goodbye Mousie is in the bibliotherapy genre. It is about a little boy who wakes up to find his pet mouse has died. The little boy's dad tells the little boy that Mousie died and tries to comfort his son. The little boy in this books goes through many emotions. At first, he is mad at Mousie for dying. Then he is sad. The poor little boy cries and cries. Then his parents help him create a tombstone and give him a box to put Mousie in. The little boy feels better when he places food, toys, and a p ...more
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Summary: A little boy wakes up one morning and tickles his pet mouse's tummy, but Mousie doesn't move. So begins this story for the very youngest about the death of a pet. Daddy tells the boy that Mousie is dead, but the child prefers to think that Mousie is just very, very tired. Slowly, after lots of tears and many questions, the boy comes to terms with the fact that his pet is gone. He plans for the funeral by painting a picture of himself to put inside the shoebox that will hold Mousie. He w ...more
Emily Stueven
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
A little boy's pet mouse dies. He goes, with lightning speed, through the various stages of grief in the proper order: denial, anger, etc., etc.

I think the scenario rings true, especially as the boy takes care to paint the mouse's burial box lovingly and load it with thoughtful trinkets for the afterlife. There is a lot of emphasis on symbolic ritual here, with proper burial and grave marker and a funeral with sparklers. It's a sweet story, but not very moving. I prefer the way The Day Tiger Ro
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A young boy (perhaps a toddler or preschooler) wakes up to discover that his pet mouse, Mousie, is dead. The boy is mad! And then sad. His father attempts to explain death but the boy is too emotional to think rationally. Soon enough the boy understands that Mousie is dead, not sleeping, but dead and his parents help him prepare to say goodbye.

Harris did a decent job of capturing the emotions that a young child might feel when a pet dies. I think younger children might need more time and probabl
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-lit
At first, I thought this was a really great book. I could definitely relate - I had my share of small pets with short lives when I little. I don't remember reading any books like this, and I do think they would have been helpful. But, then it ended on a sour note. I just didn't care for it. The little boy lost his mouse and went through denial, anger, and sadness. But he wasn't okay at the end of the book. He says maybe he'll get another mouse, someday, but not yet. It just felt a little too som ...more
Hannah Grosse
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was kind of sad, but also really good, and super cute. You really get into the point of view of the child as you share in his torment of discovering death. The illustrations are done really well, giving you an accurate idea of the look on the poor child's face as he realizes he will never be able to play with Mousie again. Also, I personally really appreciate the fact that this poor, mourning child is wearing mouse slippers. It just goes to show how deep his love was for this mouse, wh ...more
Abby Pooch
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bereavement, children
This book has several qualities that make it great for teaching/talking to very young children about death, particularly the death of a pet. It makes sure to talk about the fact that death is permanent and has several different potential causes. It also mentions how it is normal to feel both sad and mad after a death. It goes through a burial ritual that some families have for dealing with the loss. The language is just simple enough, that I would feel comfortable using it even with a preschool ...more
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
borrowed this book from the library to read with my very anxious 10yo who is fearful and sad about the passing of a relative... the book is lovely, honest and simple in talking about the death of a pet. the language and perspective is probably directed to a preschooler and is definitely pet focused. not quite what i was looking for but a good book nonetheless. would highly recommend for a young child who loses a pet.
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Written from the child's perspective, a little boy goes through the grieving process when he wakes up to find his pet mouse died during the night. He doesn't want to accept it at first and then begins to prepare the mouse to be buried.

Cute illustrations and realisitic story. Good for a child that has lost a pet that isn't a dog or a cat.
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting attempt at expressing the emotions of sorrow express at the loss of a pet. Its nice that it doesn't get to intense with the pain of grief, but I think the painting of the shoe box for a dead mouse was over the top. Typical over indulged child in my opinion. This story is gentle enough for the most sheltered of young children.
When Mousie dies his young owner is quite distressed - he was fine the night before! His father and mother comfort him and he prepares his beloved pet for burial. Good choice for explaining death and dealing with the fallout with young children. The illustrations of Mousie are very cute and sweet.
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2011, death
This is a sweet and sad story about saying goodbye to a beloved pet. It's a good way to discuss the death of a pet, or death as a concept for that matter, with younger children. It's never easy to broach the topic and especially with pets, it's an important topic. We really liked this story and thought it was a nice way to say goodbye to a friend.
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Adios, Ratoncito! en espanol. This might be a good book for a child who has just lost a pet or a loved one. It effectively shows the grieving process from a child's perspective. But for a typical story time book, it was pretty depressing.
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Translation of "Goodbye Mousie". Everything alive now will die and explaining this concept to a child is handled very well in this book. I highly recommended as a way to open that discussion with a child.
Melanie Wiley
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great for the young child who's lost a pet or even for a child who has to deal with losing a family member or close friend to death. Puts death in perspective on kid-friendly and understandable terms.
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Mootz
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I picked up this book at the library and didn't read the whole story so I was surprised how well written this story was in covering the loss and grief process of a pet.
May 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Good book to use with young children to explain death, in this case, the death of a pet. It's not overly preachy.
May 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very good book to share with a child dealing with the death of a pet. Developmentally appropriate.
Abby Yoder
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reminded me of my dog Hobo of when he died. Very sad day that day but at least he is buried in our backyard.
Sep 19, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: death
Lib. a boy grieves for his dead pet Mousie helps to bury him. and begins to come to terms with his loss.
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
A good book to read to little ones grieving over the loss of a pet.
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is a sad story but it is a good story to let children how to handle dead start with a young age.
Apr 07, 2015
Brett Axel
May 24, 2012
Nov 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Robie H. Harris has written many award-winning books for children of all ages, including the definitive Family Library about sexuality: IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL, IT'S SO AMAZING!, and IT'S NOT THE STORK! She lives in Massachusetts.
More about Robie H. Harris...