Start by marking “Emily the Strange (Emily the Strange Graphic Novels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Emily the Strange (Emily the Strange Graphic Novels, #1)

Emily the Strange

(Emily the Strange Graphic Novels #1)

Emily may be odd, but she always gets even!Meet Emily, the peculiar soul with long black hair, a wit of fire, and a posse of slightly sinister black cats. Famous for her barbed commentary and independent spirit, this rebel-child in black has spawned an Internet and merchandising phenomenon (Emily's Web site gets 35,000 hits per month!). Emily the Strange, her first book, c ...more
Published July 1st 2001 by Chronicle Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Emily the Strange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily the Strange

Start your review of Emily the Strange (Emily the Strange Graphic Novels, #1)
Sheela
Sep 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I definitely did not expect this. I thought the "Emily the Strange" series consisted of stories. Despite the brevity of the book, there is a lot of substance, with some profound one-liners - my favorite: "Emily doesn't make imaginary friends...she creates imaginary enemies." They remind me of Chuck Norris quotes - "Chuck Norris doesn't have a watch - HE decides the time." Emily the Strange is the new Chuck Norris.

The pictures were very bright and vivid. It's a great coffee-table book. I can see
Devlin Scott
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
I liked the premise and I believe it could be a true bestseller if the creators had given the first book a decided plot rather than a "day in the life of Emily Strange" type of design.

I could really grow to love this character but, she needs a clear destiny to capture my heart.

Devlin
Dolly
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
Fun, quirky, and a bit fierce, Emily is one young lady that knows who she is and does not bend to popular opinion. Kind of a bit like Grumpy Cat in human form. The black, white, and red illustrations are dramatic and used very effectively. Overall, it's an entertaining, fast read.

interesting quotes:

"Emily isn't lazy...she's just happy doing nothing." (pp. 12-13)

"Emily may be odd...but she always gets even." (pp. 28-30)
Mesho 👾
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
So cute 😍❤️🥰
Mimi
Aug 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
Not what I expected. I thought this story was for young children to confront their fears and embrace their insecurities. However, I was wrong! This book relishes in promoting bad attitudes and behavior. Boo!!!! The graphics are nice consequently the one star -- not my taste!
Tristan
May 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
I don't know what the hype is about, I love weird, I love dark, I love bloody. I don't love immature writing, I don't love plotless stupidity, I don't love Emily. I found myself WANTING to like her, hoping she was a Johnny the Homicidal maniac type. She is not. Son I am disappoint
Hannah
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alex Rojas
Emily the Strange is a book about 13-year-old Emily who wakes up in a small town called Blackrock, without knowing her purpose she sets out to look around town and finds many peculiar things like golems and a mind reader. The book is written in first person meaning you are reading the book as Emily so the writing is not professional and is described as a journal. This is a very good book 10/10 IGN recommended
Audrey
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popsugar-2020
Popsugar 2020 Reading Challenge: (Advanced) A book by an author who has written more than 20 books
Around the Year in 52 Books Reading Challenge: The first book in a series that you have not started
Jan
Apr 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Enter the dark and very strange world of Emily, who is always bored. Emily looks for ways to kill the boredom by conducting strange experiments on headless kangaroos, adding strange sauce to school cafeteria meatloaf, and hanging out in the cemetery. If you have ever been so bored that you could scream and your humor tends towards the dark side, this graphic novel is for you.
Rachel Heinrich
Jul 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Emily is GREAT! Having been a bit of a morose teen myself, I got such a kick out of her. I had never heard of the comic. I saw the book on a sales table at a book store somewhere and it jumped out at me. It's a super-quick read, yet somehow the writer gets you deep into Emily's head. Love it!
Rebecca Ann
Mar 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I had no idea what was going on in this book. It seemed like loosely connected nonsense or the kind of nightmare you get if you try to nap in the afternoon, where everything is freaky but nothing has any meaning. The art was interesting, though.
Mauoijenn
First, this was not what I expected.
This was not really a graphic novel. This was more like a picture book with 3 primary colors with some interesting statements. I will continue to see if I might understand this Emily the Strange just a bit more.
Ruby
Oct 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ruby by: My uncle
Emily is so cool! Being strange is awesome! Emily reminds me a lot of one of my best friends, Meri, who is also very strange and likes cats.
melissa
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fun, quick, evil read with great artwork.
Christie
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An introduction to Emily... I was a teen when she came out and I so identified with her then. Going through it now just beings back those memories. For anyone, especially teens, who just feel they don't fit in. This is just an introduction book, there are three other books that are more in depth.
Sara
Oct 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I give very few one star ratings, but gosh, I didn’t like this one. I think that the artist is talented but each page too busy to get through. The stories within were just not for me.

Read this as part of the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge.
Robin
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never actually got around to reading this during my earlier years when I frequented Hot Topic (yikes), but I’ve always meant to.

Reading it now, I can see why it was so popular! The book reads as smart, deep, and gloomy in a cute way.
Moses Fosburgh
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The one that started it all! I absolutely loved this awesome, er, strange girl. Everything she does, says and experiences is beyond interesting. I highly recommend anything with Emily the Strange on it.
Melanie
Have a hunch that I'm missing out on the point of this book, and it's driving me mad, I can sense it but not get a grab on it.
Candace
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cute.
Amalie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was pretty funny. I laughed out loud at times 😂
Intellectual Magpie
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emily the strange ... she has been close to my soul since the 90s 🖤♥️🖤 short simple graphic novel with very few words, but that is exactly Emily the strange in a nutshell ... simple yet powerful
Sharri Delk
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Amazing graphics/illustrations. Quirky adult read. Not something to help young ones embrace being different... it’s just in and of itself different.
Liz
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-challenge
There really was no substance to this "novel." I thought I might like it but there was just nothing there to like. The artwork was pretty great hence the 2 stars.
Melissa C
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute little book. Expected more words to it instead of felling like I’m reading a children’s books.
HowardHomeEd
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rated 4 stars purely for the artwork.
Danni
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
a cute book that I got for my friend Emily as a Christmas gift but wanted to read first lol
Natlukens
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
There's maybe 150 words in the whole thing? Meh it's okay.
Megann
Dec 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Wow, that was a piece of shit actually.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Deenie
  • Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • In the Shadow of Edgar Allan Poe
  • とつくにの少女 6 [Totsukuni no shōjo 6]
  • The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil A Rún, Volume 7 (The Girl from the Other Side, #7)
  • Rocket Raccoon, Volume 1: A Chasing Tale
  • とつくにの少女 5 [Totsukuni no shōjo 5]
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
  • Peppermint
  • Imp Series: A Demon Bound, Satan's Sword, & Elven Blood (Imp, #1-3)
  • Ghostly: A Collection of Ghost Stories
  • Hellhole
  • Blood, Sweat, and Tears (Blood Vice #6)
  • Lost in Limbo (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc. books 1-3)
  • Paladin's Grace
  • +Anima 2 (+Anima, #2)
  • +Anima 1 (+Anima, #1)
Reger's friend Nathan Carrico designed Emily in 1991 for a skateboard company in Santa Cruz, where Cosmic Debris was born. In his Santa Cruz garage (and later an artist warehouse in San Francisco) Reger created the designs, and with Matt Reed brought them into the fashion world by creating t-shirt designs that captured the essence of this mysterious young girl with 4 black cats. Since then, Cosmic ...more

Emily the Strange Graphic Novels (4 books)
  • Emily's Secret Book of Strange (Emily the Strange Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Emily's Good Nightmares (Emily the Strange Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Emily's Seeing Is Deceiving (Emily the Strange Graphic novels, #4)