Start by marking “The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 3: Lifetime Achievement” as Want to Read:
The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 3: Lifetime Achievement

The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 3: Lifetime Achievement

(Amazing Spider-Man (2018) #3)

J. Jonah Jameson, former publisher of the Daily Bugle, former mayor of New York City, has a new job - as a shock jock! It's the perfect job for the outspoken Jonah, but is the world ready for a JJJ who's...pro-Spider-Man?! More importantly, is Peter Parker ready? His post-secret-identity relationship with Jonah was already complicated enough, but this very controversial ...more
Published May 14th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 3

Start your review of The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 3: Lifetime Achievement
Chad
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I was very leery of Nick Spencer on my beloved Spider-Man, especially how he recently ruined Captain America with that Secret Empire nonsense. His work is getting better with each volume. Here he focuses on shorter stories, creating some fun and exciting Spidey tales while exploring Peter and JJJ's recent relationship after Jonah discovered Pete is Spider-Man. I was glad to see Spencer acknowledge elements of the previous run, like the Lizard's family.

Ryan Ottley's art is perfect for
Scott
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Volume 3: Lifetime Achievement cools the mild enthusiasm I had with the previous books in the series. The two stories this time were a bit tedious, with the only memorable parts being Spidey battling the Enforcers (old school bad guys who've been around nearly as long as our title character, originating in the Lee/Ditko era), and then the intriguing set-up for the next volume during the final pages.
Rory Wilding
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The late, great Stan Lee has always said that any comic could be anyones first comic, and given that most superhero comics are built on decades of continuity which often changes along the way, anyone can jump into any Spider-Man comic and thats their gateway into the character. Having now read the first three volumes of Nick Spencers Amazing Spider-Man run, it is clear that he is trying to appeal to both new readers and Spidey fans (like me), and so far hes been very successful.

The stories that
James DeSantis
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This feels like the build up to Kraven's Final hunt mixed in with character development for good old J.J.

So when J.J. has a chance to get his award from Mayor Fisk he is excited. Him and Spidy get caught up in a trap and must escape together. The other issue is Spider-man and Rhino teaming up again against Taskmaster and his buddy. Then we have Peter making a choice to save someone while letting someone else get hurt. It's pretty interesting idea.

It's a bit of filler. Just kind of character
Chris Lemmerman
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nick Spencer's re-invention of Spider-Man's world continues here, beginning with a three part arc focusing on J. Jonah Jameson and their current relationship. With Jonah now aware of Spidey's secret identity thanks to developments over in Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Jonah calls in a favour he certainly isn't owed, and Spidey ends up at the mercy of the Scorpion and, somehow, The Big Man. This wrinkle in Peter and Jonah's relationship has really opened up a lot of story ideas, and ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Lifetime Achievement (#11-13). One of the most interesting changes in recent Spider-Man history was in the relationship between Jonah and Peter, and this is a great spotlight. Oh, Jonah's jerkiness is a little over the top, but otherwise this is a great look at his character, and a nice bit of Spider-Man history [4/5].

Family Matters (#14-15). This arc brings Kraven's newest hunt to the forefront, but it mostly focuses on Aunt May and on the Lizard family. It's another strong character piece,
Chris
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: marvel
Aside from Ryan Ottley's artwork and the parts of the second story that focused on Aunt May, Lifetime Achievement felt like a tedious filler volume. At least it ends by setting up the next big arc with Kraven. Hopefully that story will get the series back on track.
Will Robinson Jr.
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Nothing spectacular but still solid in the storytelling arena. Spencer continues his run on Spider-man by focusing on a tale featuring Jj Jameson and Spider-man on the run from villains. I really enjoyed the dynamic between Spidey & JJ. Spencer is using one of the best concepts about Spidey and that is the human relationship component. Jameson has always appeared to be a thorn in Spider-man's side but underneath all his ego and gruff is a man of justice and journalist that knows truth is ...more
Kyle Berk
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nick Spencer on Spider-Man continues to roll ahead at a great pace. I think I may like this volume more than the first.

This time Ryan Ottley handles the first three issues and Chris Bachalo does the last two. Ottley's Spidey sings to my soul it's so full of movement and life. I love looking at Spidey in costume I love looking at all of it. And Bachalo did the darkest Lizard story you've ever read and he brings the quality here when handling the cold blooded reptile but he also handles the Rhino
M
Jun 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Nick Spencer, Ryan Ottley, and Chris Bachalo press onward in their latest Spider-Man offering. The first half of the volume pits Spidey and his newfound supporter - one J. Jonah Jameson - against some faces from JJJs past. The blowhard newsman must come to terms with his role in the creation of Spider Slayers, the Scorpion, the Human Fly; all the while the Kingpin plots to use Jonah to humiliate Spider-Man publicly. The latter half sets up the beginnings of the upcoming Kraven storyline, as the ...more
Scott Lee
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are two arcs in this book, the first is a Peter & JJJ story, which honestly, I was disappointed to see at first. I mean, JJJ has always been a part of Spider-Man, and I appreciate that he always will be. I get that. But I've not been particularly excited about how things have played out since Peter revealed his identity to him and he's been so damn central to the book. Pointlessly so. Up till now. Spencer justifies his interest in making JJJ more than a clown with this arc in my mind. ...more
Craig
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This seems like a step back after the previous volume. Spencer is really digging up some old foes from Spider-Man's history. The Ryan Ottley issues were good (though what was up with the last couple pages from the third part of the "Lifetime Achievement" arc?). I usually am a fan of Chris Bachalo, but his work here is way too stylized, plus he makes Peter Parker look like a teenager? Hopefully the next volume rebounds again from this.
Adam Fisher
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.
Ever since revealing his identity to J Jonah Jameson, Spider-Man has been enjoying the praise from Jonah's radio show. But how much is too much? Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin, in an effort to make himself look better (and hopefully lower his assumed criminal status), invites JJJ to a banquet to receive an award, and requests that Spider-Man be the one to give it to him. Refusing to cater to Fisk's demands, Spidey refuses, causing strife with Jonah again... but then an ambush puts them both
Blindzider
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I don't know that there was really anything inherently wrong with this issue, but it didn't stand out as anything fantastic.

The first three parter primarily deals with Jonah. The first part continues the same schtick Marvel has been running since things changed between him and Peter, but it has gotten old; the joke has been played too many times. The second part was a recap of Jonah's life and the third was actually a nice epiphany for the character. It'll be interesting to see if anything
Rocky Sunico
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spider-man, comics
It's taking me a while to really embrace the current Spider-Man continuity as it has essentially reset a lot of the changes in recent years while still acknowledging they happened. Thus it touches on elements of the Slott years while going in a different direction. This book, in particular, tried to celebrate a lot of older characters while somewhat updating their stories, but then it feels jarring to be reminded that Spider-Man is still (or is again) in his 20s and has the weirdest problems ...more
Baba
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiderverse
Despite being the weakest volume from Spencer's run so far the supporting stories keep the reader's interest with Taskmaster and the Black Ant up to something.
The first half continues the remaking of the Jameson - Parker relationship as they become possible tools of Mayor Fisk.
The second half sees troubles ahead for Curt Connors and family, some planning by Kraven, a Spidey team-up with a former villain and some good work by Aunt May.
There's a lot of preparation for future bigger stories in
Tom
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A rather short trade, volume three presents two stories where Spidey does some work with longtime supporting cast members. In the first, he gets stuck somewhere with new ally (and still a pain in his web-slinging butt) J. Jonah Jameson. In the second, he intervenes when an attack hits a restaurant Aunt May is enjoying a meal in. They aren't bad stories, but they feel like filler since the whole thing seems to lead into whatever Kraven the Hunter has been up to all the time. And that one looks a ...more
B
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
There was someone here who was way out of character, but I can't remember who.

Maybe Jameson sucking up to Wilson Fisk? Jameson hates crime. He hates it. He is self-absorbed but his love of self comes with a love of his principles.

The choice of story was a good throwback.

I'm going to be waiting for the crazy mystical villain from the first volume to pay off. RON HOWARD VOICE: It might come to a conclusion, but it will never pay off.
Kris Ritchie
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up because I am still having more fun with Spidey in this post-Slott era.

If you haven't been keeping up, J.J. Jameson and Spidey are friends now! Which is not so great for Jameson as his 'adoring' fans just want him to rip Spidey's webs a new one. Add in some ticked-off supervillains, one of Fisk's most flimsy Spider-man plans yet, and some more Ned Leeds and we get this fun romp through Parker's life. The lizard-family double-date with MJ was a nice two-issue as well.
Justin
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are solid stories, but not as immediate for me as the previous issues in this volume. We get a lot of J. Jonah Jameson and Arcade, a big helping of Aunt May, some Lizard and Kraven the Hunter and Rhino and more throw in. The Ryan Ottley art (on issues #11-13) is still fantastic - he was born to draw Spidey! I will keep reading, of course, and have hopes for the Kraven-centric storyline that the next collection will showcase.
Jason
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am slowly warming to this run. At least Spencer doesn't steal punchlines like the last volume. And Ottley is back for the first three issues/story. Wonderful art. It is a Jameson centric story with some deep cuts that was funny and heartfelt. The 2nd story was about Aunt May moving forward and setting up the big Hunted arc.
Daniel Tothill
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Quite good. It does feel like Spencer has been doing mostly set up with these previous 2 volumes but all the stories have been fun and you can see how he is setting up the foundations for a stellar run. Surprisingly, I didn't enjoy Ottley's art much on the first arc but absolutely adored Bachalos work on the second - which is odd, I usually don't like it.
Alex Sarll
Having Ottley on art for the first half of this keeps throwing me when I think for a moment that I'm reading Invincible, and there are other aspects which feel odd reading it so soon after seeing the new film, but this still manages some fairly classic Spidey action in between Spencer rearranging the familiar pieces to get them how he wants 'em for his run.
Oleksandr Tarasov
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had some problems with the first two volumes but this one is my favorite so far, no doubt about that. It means a world to me to see J. J. J. so raw, emotionally wounded and so human. I deeply respect Spencer for giving every character space to grow and for having courage to make them do so.
Matt
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Collects Amazing Spider-Man (2018) issues #11-15

This collection contains two short stories. The JJJ story was pretty good, but the final story centered around Aunt May was not so good.

Final rating = 2.5 stars
George
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I sat on the last few issues of this for a while, as this part of Spencer's run is clearly transitional as he sets up the "Hunted" arc and didn't really draw me in. Hopefully Hunted picks up a fair bit.
Simon
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spencer continues his hot streak of being... largely competent. I can't say it's mediocre because he's definitely trying some new things and the art is a big bonus but there's not much here that could put this run in the library among the greats. It's just pretty good, but sometimes that's enough.
Daniel Butcher
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
I'm a little meh on this volume. It may not have helped that I missed the volume before and found myself asking...hey where's Boomerang a lot.

Overall fine, I liked the Jonah aspect and almost could have been happier if that got drawn out.

Joey
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Scott
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I am still absolutely loving ASM these days - Nick Spencer is one hell of a writer and who doesn't love Arcade? Scorpion! Kraven! Good stuff.

Great art, good plotting and pacing.

Can't wait to see what Spencer does next.

• Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Volume 1: Secrets and Rumors
  • Thor, Vol. 3: War's End
  • Thor, Vol. 2: Road to War of the Realms
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 5: Breaker of Worlds
  • Avengers by Jason Aaron, Vol. 2: World Tour
Nick Spencer is a comic book writer known for his creator-owned titles at Image Comics (Existence 2.0/3.0, Forgetless, Shuddertown, Morning Glories), his work at DC Comics (Action Comics, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), and for his current work at Marvel Comics (Iron Man 2.0, Ultimate Comics: X-Men).

Amazing Spider-Man (2018) (7 books)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 1: Back to Basics
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 2: Friends and Foes
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 4: Hunted
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 5: Behind the Scenes
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 6: Absolute Carnage
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 7: 2099

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...