Start by marking “Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning” as Want to Read:
Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning

Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning

Unleash powerful teaching and the science of learning in your classroom

Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning empowers educators to harness rigorous research on how students learn and unleash it in their classrooms. In this book, cognitive scientist Pooja K. Agarwal, Ph.D., and veteran K-12 teacher Patrice M. Bain, Ed.S., decipher cognitive science research and
Published June 5th 2019 by Jossey-Bass (first published May 13th 2019)

Start your review of Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning
Ken Rideout
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good for teachers of all grades/levels, this book does an excellent job of providing practical classroom pedagogy informed by research-based cognitive science. Many books on this subject I’ve read are either too divorced from the research or so mired in the complicated domain of cognitive science that you don’t get anything out of them. In this book, there’s a good balance between the research (all classroom-based, this is no primer on neuroscience (nor should it be)), personal experiences, and ...more
James Lang
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on how research from the learning sciences can inform teaching, especially at the K12 level. Smart and readable summaries of interesting research combined with loads of practical strategies for teachers.
Amani
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I read the first chapter of this book, I started applying the lessons to my DJ teaching practice. I can't wait to use more strategies when the college semester starts. Two Things and Brain Dumps will be the first two strategies I implement. I need to reread this book. Excellent work!
Erin Whitteck
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book with very practical evidence-based strategies for both K-12 and higher education teachers. I'm excited to help spread the word about how we can widely incorporate the science of learning in every classroom.
North Landesman
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Helpful book for any teacher who wants to use retrieval practice well. Even for teachers like myself who think they do. The chapters on metacognition, anxiety, and parents were especially helpful. This is a well written, useful book that must be completed with a pen in hand.
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring!
Jarosik18
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good research-based ideas for simplifying teaching to help students retain information and learn how to study.
Dogsandbooks
Detailed lists for teachers on how to implement the four pillars of effective long term learning: retrieval, spacing, interweaving, and metacognition. Many of these techniques are used in khan academy problems. Biggest takeaway: stress unaided retrieval. Try to do it closed book and then check. Dpl via inter library loan 371.102
Andrea
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I am going to buy myself a copy. I have already started using some of these retrieval practices in my classroom, and they are so helpful. Easy to read, and I loved when the authors showed how they used the strategies in their own classrooms.
Bob Collins
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Illuminating and practical; Pooja and Patrice practice what they teach throughout the book, sharing the "Power Tools" that teachers can use to help their students learn better. The Power Tools are backed by good research and have been practiced in the author's classrooms (middle school and college) and by many other teachers, from K-College, around the US. Lots of great suggestions to try in the classroom. Highly recommend to my teacher/instructor friends!
Nikki Baker
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Science of Learning that cognitive psychology is bringing to education circles is long overdue. In this book Agarwal addresses Retrieval Practice, Spaced Practice, Interleaving and Feedback driven Metacognition. For each principle she strikes a nice balance between theory and practical classroom application. I listened to this book and will be buying a paper copy to reread!
Emmy Nota
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Useful tips!
Bonni
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful Teaching offers us the perfect combination of theory and practice.

We can trust that the approaches being suggested are based on the research on effective teaching practices and cognitive psychology. We can also have the confidence that comes from having a plan to turn that knowledge into action.

This easily-digestible resource is perfect for teachers in all sorts of contexts. I highly recommend it.
Jsedwick
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great read! This book takes Make It Stick and adds to the research by adding practical methods of application in the classroom. Whether you are a primary teacher or a college professor, this book can help put the science to the classroom.
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very clear and easy to read, with lots of excellent examples for how to incorporate these strategies in the classroom. I only docked it a star because it was so similar to other books like "Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning" and "Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning" that I didn't feel as if I learned as much as I was hoping to.
Cathy
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learning How to Learn

This book should be a must read for every educator! I had the privilege of hearing Dr. Agarwal speak at the Learning & the Brain conference. While she is a dynamic speaker, what I most appreciated about her presentation and this book with Patrice Bain is the practical suggestions that can immediately be implemented in the classroom. My students are enjoying the challenge of “desirable difficulties.” I have begun sharing these ideas with my colleagues, and I look forward
Onorio Catenacci
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book, full of practical advice for evidence-based teaching. Highly recommended to trainers, coaches and anyone else that needs to impart knowledge to others and insure it sticks.
Hallie
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic resource summarizing sound research on the science of learning. I had the opportunity to talk with Pooja at APA's Division 2 Annual Conference on Teaching (ACT) and our conversation did not disappoint! "Powerful Teaching" helped me discover simple ways to be more intentional in my classroom to help students get knowledge "out" - because that output, rather than simply the input, is really when and how lasting learning happens.

Highly recommend this resource for EVERY teacher
Natpat Mon
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of evidence- based information with practical applications. Focus on classroom instruction. It’s a great book. Just not applicable that much to me as I focus online teaching.
Tracy Jaconette
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book to transform learning in your classroom. Evidence Based. Practical. Transferrable. Rooted in the newest understandings from cognitive science and classroom based research.
Kaye Chalwell
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am really interested in how to effectively use retrieval practice in my classroom so picked up Powerful Teaching to help me continue my exploration. Powerful Teaching focuses on four “Power Tools” for learning: retrieval practice, spaced practice, interleaving and feedback-driven metacognition by looking at research studies and classroom experience to explain them. The book is filled with easy to implement strategies for including these power tools in your classroom. I have already tried ...more
Bjorn Martensson
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Content is good, but I think it could have been written in a more compact way. It's very targeted to classroom teaching, but most of the content can be adjusted to work elsewhere.
Kimberly Pyland

• Retrieval Practice: Resources and research for every classroom
  • Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning
  • Love to Teach: Research And Resources For Every Classroom
  • Dual Coding for Teachers
  • The researchED Guide to Explicit & Direct Instruction: An evidence-informed guide for teachers (The researchED series)
  • Geeky Pedagogy: A Guide for Intellectuals, Introverts, and Nerds Who Want to Be Effective Teachers
  • Reader, Come Home: The Reading Brain in a Digital World
  • Limitless Mind: Learn, Lead, and Live Without Barriers
  • Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential
  • Why Don't Students Like School?: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom
  • Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
  • We Got This.: Equity, Access, and the Quest to Be Who Our Students Need Us to Be
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • Boys Don't Try? Rethinking Masculinity in Schools
Pooja K. Agarwal, Ph.D., is a cognitive scientist, conducting research on how students learn since 2005. She is an Assistant Professor at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, teaching psychological science to exceptional undergraduate musicians. Her research has been published in leading journals; highlighted by The New York Times and Education Week; and recognized by the National Science ...more
“When it comes to retrieval practice, spaced practice, interleaving, and feedback-driven metacognition, the combination of being research-based and classroom-proven is paramount.” 0 likes
“With Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning, you will: Develop a deep understanding of powerful teaching strategies based on the science of learning, whether you are a past, present, or future educator. Go behind the scenes and explore key findings from cognitive science research. Gain insight into how scientifically-based strategies are effectively implemented in a variety of academic settings without additional preparation, classroom, or grading time. Think critically about your current teaching practices and classroom environment from a research-based perspective. Develop tools to share the science of learning with students and parents, ensuring success inside and outside the classroom. Identify next steps to transform teaching and unleash the science of learning in your classroom. As” 0 likes