Start by marking “The Christmas Angel” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Angel

The Christmas Angel

As Christmas approaches, everything seems to be falling into place for Dossie. Her son Clem and his adorable four-year-old son Jakey have moved to Cornwall to be closer to her. She runs her own successful catering business. All she needs now is for the run of bad luck in her romance life to end...
But while little Jakey helps to put away the decorations after another cosy
Published by Corgi (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Angel, please sign up.
Phyllis Barlow Thank you!! I'll be on the lookout for it. I don't know if you have read many of Marcia Willett's books, but I have noticed that a lot of her books…moreThank you!! I'll be on the lookout for it. I don't know if you have read many of Marcia Willett's books, but I have noticed that a lot of her books have the same characters in them. You don't necessarily have to read them in order, but you just realize as you read them that these names are familiar. Thank you responding to me!!(less)

Start your review of The Christmas Angel
Carolyn Hill
Scanning the new book shelves at the library, I was attracted by the seasonal theme - why not get in the Christmas mood? - and the author. I enjoy Marcia Willett's writing when I'm in a cozy-cottage-in-Cornwall type of mood. Which is often, as those who know this inveterate Anglophile will attest. This is not really a Christmas book, though it was obviously marketed as such. It actually begins at Epiphany and ends at Advent, so rather misses Christmas itself. So much for getting in the mood. ...more
Sonia Schoenfield
First of all this book was not about Christmas, but about an entire calendar year, that takes place in Cornwall. A small group of nuns is slowly becoming unable to care for their property and we watch and wait as their future is determined.

I liked the way the book took chapter names from the liturgical year: Epiphany, Pentecost, Michaelmas, etc. There was a definite spiritual aspect to this book that I enjoyed very much. The characters, when faced with a problem, turn to prayer as well as each
Vickie Richens
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read Homecomings which also features some of the same characters so it was good to read the back stories of these characters
Cindy
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Marcia Willett. To me, she is sort of the natural heir to Rosamunde Pilcher, whose books I also love.

Willett's stories are comfortably written, if you know what I mean. There is a gentleness, insightfulness, thoughtfulness to her writing.

Her characters are easy to get to know and to care about, and though the story is not particularly fast-paced, I had no trouble wanting to keep the pages turning to find out what happens in their lives.

The are some books that are like pleasant places that
Karen Ashbrook
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, with its interesting characters and beautifully descriptive writing. I didn't find it a quick, easy read and re-read parts to fully appreciate what the author was saying. Despite the title it's not really a 'Christmas book', it starts as the Christmas decorations are being packed away and ends as the decorations are being brought out for the following Christmas. I think it's a story that will stay with me and I might even read it a second time, something I don't ...more
Reina Williams

Willett's writing is poetical and has a leisurely pace I like, so I'll be seeking out other books by her. But this one I couldn't engage with--the present tense with third person was odd...I could get past that, but the narration went into too many characters' heads. It was way off for me. I don't mind omniscient third person, but I think that works better not being in so many characters' heads. This was like having deep point of view with every character in the book. I hope Willett's other
Maureen Coath
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really loved this book. I enjoy Marcia Willett as an author but this book challenged me spiritually. It helped me see that God can use our brokenness and that He uses other people to reach us when we are feeling vulnerable and frightened. I was moved by the comparison in it between the silence at the beginning and end of a piece of music being as important as the music itself and the silence at the beginning and end of prayer.
Sharon
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a warm and wonderful book that explores the changes and growth that occur in a variety of people during the period of time between two Christmases. The characters are engaging and believable and I found myself routing for them all ( ok almost all!). I highly recommend this novel to anyone interested in the varieties of the human condition
Omi
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The coziness of England,the sweetness of the little boy and the nuns made it likable. Infact, I liked this book a lot until about half through. After that it was kinda like unh. Swearing, an affair, an abrupt ending...not my favorite.
Roz Radmore
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely feel good seasonal book about looking after each other and above all , love
Four year old Jakey is helping to put away the Christmas decorations . He loves all of them , especially the home made Christmas angel . Jakey calls her Auntie Gabriel and she holds a large satin heart between her hands .
This year is going to be difficult . There is a chance he and his father might lose their home in beautiful Cornwall . They might not be the only ones . The nearby small convent of elderly nuns
Melita Sheppard
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marcia-willett
Another really lovely Christmas book that can be read anytime of year. The story is of the year between one Christmas and the next set in a village in rural Cornwall . The general storyline is of a threat to a group of aging nuns and their living quarters.
The story of those around who all need help in their own way and are guided to Chi-mer, the house that was willed to the nuns a lifetime ago. The gentle non-judgemental attitude of the nuns bringing a sense of calm to those who need it.
I loved
Kate
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's one of those gentle reads...just escape to the Cornish coast and become acquainted with the gentle characters that are all pilgrims al life's journey. There is Dossie, her son, Clem, and grandson, Jakey, and her parents Pa & Mo.
in addition, there are 4 aging Anglican nuns and Janna who feel the bonds of family and community.
chlorinda naish
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas

A wonderful story about love and hardships, and how a few nuns helped a small community to love one another through the hardships that a real estate man, who wanted to buy the convent and part of a home belonging to Pa and Mo, and the courage they had and believes of life and loves that have them strength for the whole family.
Evenstar
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this book two stars for the effort the author made to write it. Other than that, what a disappointment. My initial thought was YA, a story combining two of my favorite things; Christmas and England. I found the baby talk lisping given to the child annoying and unnecessary and the first person narrative (I think that is what it is called) distracting. The story just didn't have it
Terri
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very descriptive, not really Christmasy. It had an interesting story going on, but I was left a little confused at the end. I wish I'd read it on my Kindle app so that I could have looked up all the words (mostly birds and plant names) that I didn't know. Most of it took place in a convent. If you're looking for something to get you in the Christmas mood, this probably isn't it.
Dianne Vandenhurk
I’ve read several Marcia Willet books & like the others, it took time to get involved with the story & characters. I do enjoy persisting. Another that I read included Clem & Jakey a couple of years later than this one but although I have tried I can’t remember or work out which title it was. Great to see how their life with the sisters began.
Steph
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Bought this book thinking it was a nice Christmas story. It is actually about the life of residents at a convent over a year and the family of Clem, their maintenance man.
I found the ending disappointing with no conclusion to parts of the story which was a shame.
Lizzie Roach
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by this author and I found it a very enjoyable and comforting read. If you like Elizabeth Goudge's writing, you will love this novel with its beautiful language, homely characters and spiritual bias.
d m palmer
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Good about a convent and Dossie’s family.
Petrina
Enjoyable light Sunday afternoon read, look forward to reading more books from this author.
Shirley Campbell
I couldn't find this book to put it in here so slowly went through all her books my book was called "The Christmas Angel" like her style of writing even if someone changed the title!
Katie Baker
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this in the run up to Christmas even though I have read it before. This time the religious elements really stood out to me as I made my own advent journey.
Anna
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars.
Pamela Sinclair
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading

Really enjoyed this book until it finished abruptly, or is this only the first part.? Hope there is more to follow.
Gerrie
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
3.5 out of 5 stars
Lynne
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marcia-willet
A beautiful story full of compassion and warmth with some fascinating characters
Ann Adams
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Threatening closure of a convent has the characters in a place of survival choices while handling their own problems.
Michelle Coffey
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story but was disappointed that it ended too soon.
Jo Barton
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five year old Jakey lives with his widowed father Clem, in an old coach house which is attached to the nunnery at Chi- Meur, in Cornwall. The four aged nuns, who live in the main house, are looked after by Janna, who lives in a caravan in the grounds of the nunnery, and who is the provider of the special picnics that Jakey finds irresistible. The idyllic landscape that surrounds the nunnery is under threat from an avaricious property developer, who wants to buy the nunnery and turn it into a ...more
Sue
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2014
It took me a while to get into this book. Marcia Willetts builds up her characters slowly, and while I undoubtedly found them getting under my skin - particularly Janna and 4-year-old Jakey - I did wonder for a while where the story was going. There’s a fair bit of description, and some quite detailed asides about a couple of businesses.

There are a few subplots including conflict too. We see different perspectives through the book - not at all in a disturbing or intrusive way, but this did mean
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Mother of All Christmases
  • Snowed in at The Little Duck Pond Cafe (The Little Duck Pond Cafe, Book 4)
  • One Christmas Kiss in Notting Hill
  • A Christmas Gift
  • Spring at The Little Duck Pond Cafe: (Little Duck Pond Cafe, Book 1)
  • Christmas at The Little Duck Pond Cafe
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • Heartaches and Christmas Cakes (Wartime Bakery #1)
  • A Cornish Summer
  • The Magnificent Mrs Mayhew
  • Three Days in Florence: the perfect romantic and feel-good read this September
  • Christmas at the Cornish Café(The Cornish Café Series, Book 2)
  • I Do Not Sleep
  • The Newcomer
  • When the War is Over
  • Dreaming of Christmas
  • A Summer Reunion
Marcia Willett began her career as a novelist when she was fifty years old. Since that first novel Marcia has written twenty more under her own name as well as a number of short stories. She has also written four books under the pseudonym "Willa Marsh", and is published in more than sixteen countries.

Marcia Willett's early life was devoted to the ballet, but her dreams of becoming a ballerina