Start by marking “Christmas at Black Cherry Retreat (Choc Lit): Celebrate Christmas in a gorgeous retreat with this heartwarming read of 2018!” as Want to Read:

A festive feel-good holiday read. Highly recommended.
What if you had nowhere to call home for Christmas?
When Fee Winter books a winter break at the remote Black Cherry Retreat in the small town of Pine Ridge, Tennessee, it’s with the idea that the peace and quiet will help her recuperate from her hectic life as a photographer.

But what she didn’t bank on was meeting To
Published December 3rd 2018 by Choc Lit

To ask other readers questions about Christmas at Black Cherry Retreat (Choc Lit), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas at Black Cherry Retreat (Choc Lit)

Julie
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christmas at Black Cherry Retreat by Angela Britnell is a 2018 Choc Lit publication.

Fee Winter has arrived at The Black Cherry retreat for a much needed break. She’s a photographer who has witnessed entirely too much while on assignment. The remote area in Pine Tree, Tennessee is the perfect, tranquil place for Fee to lick her wounds, to nurse her broken heart and spirit back to health.

However, she never planned on Tom…

Tom is a former policeman, who is working to refurbish the family retreat.
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

‘Mama’s orders, honey. It’s more than my life’s worth to argue.’ ‘Are you a man or a mouse?’ she hissed. He shuffled from one foot to the other. ‘Mouse when it comes to my mother. Sorry.’

Like so many men he wanted things both ways: to mean something to a woman without meaning too much.

I bought some of the chamomile tea Tom told me you drink… Tasted like cat’s pee to me when I tried it but I’m sure it’s mighty good for you.

Domesticity was never her mother’s forte… Meals were spora
Tasha and Megan Mahoney
I really enjoyed this story and became fully emotionally invested in the story. I should point out however that this isn't a story that takes place at Christmas. It begins at Halloween and takes place from then forward.
This is a tale ripe with angst , shocking bereavements, adventure, heartache, family and romance. You get a lot more than the festive cover suggests.
For me this story has so many facets that come together to create an emotionally charged journey that completely drew me in.
Am I d
Rachel Gilbey
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh I do love a Southern American drawl on a sexy man in a book, and Tom Chambers has that and the typical good manners too in spades. I warmed to him almost instantly.

Fee on the other hand although I felt for her, I really was unsure about her at the start, but as the book progresses and she starts to open up, she really grew on me and I loved her by the end.

Neither character has had an easy run of things recently and both have something major in common, but apart from that they are as differe
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I have to give the author credit as the story is mainly set in Tennesse and when it's a British writer, sometimes the authenticity of the setting doesn't always feel right and it can feel like the author is trying to hard. With this novel though, for me, it felt right.

You have got to love secluded settings. The place where Fee decides to get away from it all for a while was so picturesque and not far from a small idyllic town. I enjoyed getting to know the area and the people better.

Right from t
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

I don't read much romance fiction so Christmas At Black Cherry Retreat is quite a step from my literary comfort zone. However I wanted a seasonal novel or two to help with getting myself into the Christmas spirit and the cover art on this one is just perfect! The story itself takes place over the months from just before Halloween until just after Christmas so, being set almost entirely in America, this covers the Thanksgiving holiday too. Chr
Alison
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do like a book by Angela purely because she is British with a fabulous American twang image that can only be achieved by living there in my opinion. So in my head the characters are able to speak with the desired accent .. crazy theory maybe but it works for me!

Black Cherry Retreat rustles up thoughts of a posh haven for select clientele wishing to have a quiet break full of yoga and reiki followed by massage, whether that is how Tom intended it to appeal as he was renovating it, I’m not sure
Julie Morris
I knew this was going to be a Christmas book with a difference when I picked it up, as it is not set in the UK, but in a remote town in Eastern Tennessee, not a standard setting for a Christmas novel. However, this book is actually not particularly a Christmas-centric story at all, given that it starts around Halloween and focuses on this, and Thanksgiving, rather than just Christmas. However, this does not stop it being a good book in any way.

We meet Fee just as she is arriving at the remote Bl
Els
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
What do you expect from a feelgood book? For me it's simple. It needs a fluent writing style, a mixture of sadness, joy, laughter, love and a happy ending. Well, the story ticks all these boxes. Add the festive season as a background and you have found a perfect Christmas treat.

You might want to seek peace and quiet, but you get a lot more than you bargained for. This does not necessarily mean a bad thing. On the contrary I would say.

What's not to like about this story? I for one have not found
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed this story - it had a great flow and was perfect for a cold winter's day!

I thought that the plot was very well developed and I loved the characters - Tom was great and I really enjoyed getting to know him and his family as the book progressed, there are quite a mix of characters in the book! Tom's interaction with Fee was great and it really made the book for me, I really felt for her at the beginning and she was a lovely genuine character
Julie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
If ever there were two troubled souls, then Fee and Thomas are top of the bill. There is a great deal of psycho-analysis of their state of mind after each of them has suffered trauma. As with all good romances, this starts off on the slow burner and gradually heats up a notch only to be left simmering for a good while. They are both naturally defensive, reluctant to let anyone in and have trust issues. Little by little, we see the barriers gradually being eroded. Readers generally know the outco ...more
Elaine
This is a heartwarming romance set mainly in Pine Ridge, Tennessee and most of the characters are members of the Chambers family - and they really are great! The whole extended family are lovable, nosey, supportive and warm, the sort who need to know everything about you but only because they love you and want to help not hurt, though sometimes they can be a bit too much! Tom Chambers has restored the cabins in the nearby Black Cherry Retreat, helping him cope after his wife was killed in front ...more
Karen Mace
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hands off Tom - he's mine!!! OK, well Fee may have an issue with that declaration but I do love finding a book where you can have a huge crush on one of the characters - and Tom Chambers is the object of my desire after reading this wonderful story from Angela Britnell.

Fee Chambers has had a career that has pushed her to the limits - both physically and mentally - as a photographer, and for the sake of her health she has been told to get away from it all. So where better to end up than the middl
Kerry Robinson
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Synopsis (Taken from the blurb)
What if you had nowhere to call home for Christmas?

But what she didn’t bank on was meeting Tom Chambers and his huge, interfering yet lovable family. With them, could Fee finally experience the warmth and support that’s been missing from her ow
Mandie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I will admit that when I started reading this book I did expect it to be a typical Christmas type romance. As I read this I realised that this was not the case…primarily because the majority of the book is set in and around the time of Halloween and Thanksgiving. That being said it didn’t stop me from enjoying the book.
The book centres on what on the surface seem like two totally different characters; Fee Winter who has booked a holiday at Black Cherry retreat on the advice of her therapist to h
Jéssica
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This is my first novel by Angela Britnell, but now my first Christmas book this year, nevertheless, the author give us a sweet Christmas Romance novel, full of cute moments and some scenes that made me think, and of course great characters.

The book follows Fee and Tom. Fee is a photographer and Tom is the Black Cherry Retreat. Well, I have ever been to a retreat before, so I get quite intrigued about books that are located in one, and I was very curious about Tom and Fee's stories before them me
Yvonne
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
When things get really tough in Fee’s life her Doctor advises taking time out. Fee is a photographer and has witnessed human life at it’s worse and documenting the evidence has taken it’s toll. Under the advice she finds herself in Tennessee at the town of Pine Ridge and the remore Black Cherry Retreat. A collection of cabins owned and run by Tom. There are sparks aplenty, but is it enough to help Fee?

The contrasts between Fee and Tom are extreme, to say the least as far as their lifestyle choic
Stacy Walton
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christmas at Black Cherry Retreat is by no means your average festive rom-com in the slightest. It's a multi-layered story that takes on several deep and dark moments that are not normally featured in a Christmas tale creating a brave and honest story.

Tom and Fee are flawed characters who have been through exceptionally difficult times in their lives which I appreciated and felt empathy for. But I have to say that I did find it difficult to warm to them. I think this may have been because I fell
Marianne
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Both the main characters in Christmas at the Black Cherry Retreat are prickly characters who have been damaged by their past. Tom and Fee are both self-aware and realise how they sometimes put barriers up. What gives the story interest is seeing how they react to other people and think back about how they are acting. Tom's family is extremely close and have given him a certain grounding which Fee has never had. Fee has to come to terms with her childhood before she can move on.

The setting in To
Carol Thomas
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story begins in late fall and moves towards Christmas set in the Tennessee mountains. Told from the point of view of both Fee and Tom, it soon becomes apparent that each of the main characters has issues from their past to overcome.

As the two discover more about each other, the reader is drawn into their story and to understand their motivations. Tom is lovely – a mountain man with a big family and a heart to match. I found I liked the character of Fee more as the story progressed and wille
Isabelle
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
It looks like many readers have already expressed a wish to book a holiday at Black Cherry Retreat (if only it wasn't fictional), and I can definitely see why as it's clearly the kind of setting that adds to the story. But of course it doesn't make the characters less important and, along with Fee and Tom, the Chambers family (large and interfering, but very united and loving) certainly contributes to the novel's appeal too.
Also, the story starts weeks before Christmas so you could read it at an
Isobel Jagger
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Previous books by Angela Britnell have featured hen-nights, weddings, a holiday and other happy occasions. Not this time. Fee's visit to Black Cherry Retreat is the result of betrayal and grief. She is there to aid her recovery and to follow the regime set by her advisors. Tom, the owner of the retreat, is riddled with guilt and is avoiding life as much as possible. Hardly a good begining. However Angela Britnell shows how happiness can be found under the most unlikely circumstances. This is not ...more
Barbara
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story.  Longer than a lot of romances but a lot of story for your money!  The twists and turns throughout the book keep you wanting to learn more.  The lives of Tom and Fee on the face of it are so different but as the story progresses the similarities emerge. Their love seems impossible initially, but as in all good romances, comes good finally.  I loved learning of Fee's history and meeting Tom's family. By the end of the book I wanted to book a holiday at The Black Cherry Reso ...more
Yvonne Greene
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful romantic story with a full cast of super characters. I devoured this book in a weekend and did not want to leave this heart warming place.

It has everything you could want in a great story, including a troubled handsome hero and a heroine with a difficult past. Throw in his enormous loving but interfering family and you have a great read.

Possibly one of the best reads of the year!
Ruth
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent. Having read and enjoyed other books by Angela Britnell I eagerly awaited this her latest novel. She keeps me entertained with her storytelling ability by using characters who are adults, have experienced life and received scars along the way, sometimes mental scars, sometimes physical scars.
Needs a warning on the cover: if you start this book, you won't want to put it down until you've finished.
Sharon
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
review to follow
Gill
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Ms Britnell manages to combine her love of things Cornish with that of the American South – very satisfactorily. Fee is a world renowned photo journalist at the end of her tether and needing an escape to recover, regroup. She goes to stay at Black Cherry Retreat, a country haven owned by Tom Chambers who has his own demons with which to deal. The extensive Chambers family folds a resisting and solitary Fee into their lives and matters progress. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, reading ...more
Angela Britnell
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ann Saveker
Dec 16, 2018

Find me on Facebook.

I was born in the beautiful county of Cornwall in southwestern England and grew up in a small village there. I return frequently to visit family and friends but especially to savor the cool rainy weather and hot tea. After school I joined the Royal Navy and served for nearly six years. I held varying jobs from being the only woman in the staff of a sports center to arranging so