Start by marking “Devouring Dark” as Want to Read:
Devouring Dark

Devouring Dark

THE NEXT JUGGERNAUT SUPERNATURAL THRILLER FROM AWARD-WINNING ALAN BAXTER

Matt McLeod is a man plagued since childhood by a malevolent darkness that threatens to consume him. Following a lifetime spent wrestling for control over this lethal onslaught, he’s learned to wield his mysterious paranormal skill to achieve an odious goal: retribution as a supernatural vigilante.

When
ebook
Published November 6th 2018 by Grey Matter Press

To ask other readers questions about Devouring Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devouring Dark

Char
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DEVOURING DARK kept me glued to the pages and not wanting to do anything else until I finished the book!

Meet Matt and Amy. They both have special powers inside them and each of them use those powers in a different way. Meet Vince Stratton. Local mob boss/Fagin. He rounds up local disenfranchised youth to run his errands, keep an eye on the neighborhood, and to make pick ups and drop offs of ...whatever. How do these characters all come together? You'll have to read this and see!

Being my first s
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
4.5 stars!
2018 has been the year of discovery for me. I have found so many new, amazing authors--I feel incredibly lucky. If you looked over my 2018 Goodreads challenge, you would see that I have been fortunate enough to have read a lot 4 and 5 star reads this year. It feels *really* good to be this deep into the horror genre and still finding new authors to love.
Alan Baxter has a lock on his own, unique brand of horror.
You would do well to start reading his books if you enjoy these signature st
Michael Hicks
Devouring Dark, the latest from Alan Baxter by way of Grey Matter Press, is a solid cross-genre affair, entertainingly blending supernatural horror and crime.

Matt McLeod has a darkness within him. Quite literally as it turns out, as he can summon this darkness and use it to kill those who have done wrong. In the book's opening chapter, we get a delicious taste of McLeod's peculiar brand of vigilante justice as he stalks and kills a pedophile in a London alley. In a stroke of coincidence that pro
Emily
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I sat there in the darkness of my room and knew it was all me. I had created that horror."

I've read a couple short stories by Alan Baxter, but Devouring Dark was my introduction to his novels. I think that it had a really promising concept, and I was interested in seeing how this story was going to turn out.

I saw this book as more of a thriller with supernatural elements as opposed to a supernatural thriller (if that makes sense). The focus was much heavier on the noir than the supernatural st
Mindi
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Yay! I have a new author to add to my auto-buy list! Alan Baxter is my new favorite for Urban Horror and vigilante justice. I get so pumped up reading his books.

A few months ago I read Manifest Recall and I instantly knew that I needed to read more from Baxter. When I heard he had a new book coming out I was really excited. I buddy read this one with a few of my favorite book people, and we had a blast. Devouring Dark was
Philip Fracassi
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre, horror, crime
Alan Baxter consistently delivers, and Devouring Dark is no exception. Baxter's supernatural thriller about a young man and a young woman who independently struggle with an incredible ability to harness - and release - death at will is masterfully constructed and beautifully, and powerfully, written. It seems a rarity to find an author who combines chilling scares, supernatural thrills, a rollercoaster crime-structured plot and magnificent, clean prose.

I highly recommend this novel, and recomme
Lee Anderson drunkonbookz
What a treat this book was to read! I'm glad I paid no attention to the blurb the publisher wrote on this book or I probably would not have read it.

I'm going to sit this book on the fence somewhere between crime/thriller and paranormal but I think Baxter could have amped it up a level and made it slightly darker.

The story is mainly based on Matt McLeod, an average guy that carries a darkness in him. A secret darkness he uses as a type of vengeance against those deserving of a punishment only he
Tracy Robinson
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baxter’s newest was certainly an entertaining read for me. While crime noir isn’t my go to genre, this book handles it well. Personally, I would’ve loved to have the darker, horror aspects be more prevalent.

Matt McLeod has a darkness in him and he uses this power as a form of retribution - think vigilante justice. Baxter’s stellar use of description during these moments put me off my food for a moment, just some wonderfully disgusting details and I wanted more😃.

There were a few parts when the
Lou
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As title mentions there is some devouring, and it is to do with a darkness, a void, a dark matter possession, succumbing, decay and death.
Administered by two characters, male and female, same gift shall we say but different application of it.
Small Scotsman, drinks occasional Laphroaig, lives in modest part of city of London, in Finsbury Park, in his one-bedroom basement flat, whilst in spare time, “trying to make sense of the blackness that swirled like ink in water through his skin,” and whilst
Mommacat
I was lucky enough to read DEVOURING DARK this past summer and found it to be amazing. Alan described it during his interviw with me posted on Cat After Dark on November 1st as a mash-up, and yes, a beautiful mash-up it was – of thriller, fantasy, horror and crime. There is something for everyone in this deeply dark depiction of death. And yet like everything there are two sides, so it’s not as heavy as I make it out to be. It’s a very satisfying read that I highly recommend.
Adrian Collins
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed by Timy Takács on Grimdark Magazine.

Suppose you have darkness/shadows (depending on what you call it) living inside of you. Suppose you can release it time to time in one way or another. How would you use it? And if you only had a limited time left before the darkness devours you? Matt decides to use his power to atone for his sin. After leaving behind Scotland he finds a job and a flat in London, settles down, makes friends, and lives a normal life. And deals with paedophile
Kyla Ward
Imagine a game of speed chess with three players, where the board is London's grimy streets and all the pieces are black. That would be something like reading Alan Baxter's latest novel. There is a young man with a terrible secret. A woman who tends the dying. A professional dealer in death, who takes pride in the different ways he can deliver it. All are on a collision course which could see death unleashed in every direction.

Although this is a tale of supernatural horror, Baxter conveys it wit
Frank Errington
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review copy

Killer opening for Alan Baxter's latest novel, Devouring Dark...

"Matt McLeod knew the old adage, that light is supposed to push away the darkness. But he also knew it wasn’t true. Light sits on top, like a film of oil on water. The dark is still there underneath, deep, permanent, waiting. And usually it’s enough, that surface skein of brightness, to keep a soul from the yawning black abyss below. But once the cracks appear, the fall is inevitable. And the darkness devours."

If you have
Steve Stred
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** Edited as review is live on Kendall Reviews!***

Matt McLeod has a problem. Well to be frank, is it a problem or a gift?

Amy Cavendish has a similar problem. In her case, she considers it a gift.

Vincent Stratton, believes he is the one holding together London’s underbelly of gangsters, criminals and thugs. Keeping the streets in check by using his stable of lost boys to keep him abreast of the comings and goings.

Devouring Dark by Alan Baxter is a fascinating character study, following three ind
Timy
Well, since Adrian already put my review up, which you can find on
Armand Rosamilia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have never read anything I didn't like from this author, and "Devouring Dark" is no exception. What you might think is just an interesting crime thriller has so many other great elements like horror, supernatural and plain excitement.

This book had me wanting to read just one more page before I put it down. Off to find more from the author now!
Kevin Jones
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Perfect Blend of Crime and Horror!

This was my first encounter with the work Alan Baxter, and I am impressed. "Devouring Dark" displayed all the elements of a solid, conventional crime story with an added supernatural twist that made the story really compelling. The characters were also well-developed and believable, and I especially liked how the main characters Matt and Amy were even matched and strong in their own, unique ways without being over the top. Overall, this was a fast-paced, well-
Valerie
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first time reading this author, have had this one for awhile and was excited it finally hit the top of my pile. I didn’t know what to expect and as I got into the book it drew me in. Two characters have a unique relationship with death. Matt uses his to take down predators & scumbags while Amy eases the death of the sick & diseased storing their essence within her then delivering it to those she believes are deserving to suffer.

The author delivers great characters, good storyline and
Paul Sheldon
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Alan Baxter since reading the Alex Caine novels and have since read most of his novel length work. I really enjoy the fast paced action and supernatural horror that he weaves together so well, keeping you turning the pages and cheering on the heroes.

I was expecting much the same from Devouring Dark, and whilst I certainly wasn't disappointed, there is plenty of the above, what I found was something deeper, more involving and ultimately even more satisfying than his previous, v
Austin Sheehan
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Baxter's Devouring Dark is a riveting tale of crime, guilt, death and punishment, set in London's urban sprawl.

Matt McLeod is a Scot who works in a factory, and his small guilt-wracked body contains a darkness, the power of death itself. He can choose to kill with a touch, and is on a path, a fine line between seeking redemption and self-destruction.

Vince Stratton is a pub owner and enterpreneur. He is engaged in a lot of dodgy dealings and has a lot of secrets.

Amy Cavendish is a palliativ
Lesley Hillman
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To start, I would like to thank Grey Matter Press for a copy of Devouring Dark to read in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. It’s a wonderful mix of horror, the supernatural and some crime drama. Three things I enjoy.

Matt McLeod, he is a great character. He has this crazy ability to literally devour people with darkness, as the title says. The book gets into the action straight away with Matt devouring a paedophile in an alleyway. Unfortunately, in this wondrous age of di
Todd
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of those books that you keep thinking about even when you aren't reading it. It gets into your head and you are wondering what is happening and where the story is going even when you aren't able to read. I found myself snatching a couple of pages here and there while my wife was trying on clothes at the shops. I felt like a drug addict. Just needing one more fix, then I'll be ok and I can stop reading.

The book itself is dark and gritty. The characters are rounded and interestin
Axel
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title could hardly be more apt!
This supernatural horror/urban fantasy pits a desperate man with a dark ability those against some savvy and heavy handed criminals.

Matt McLeod is trying to make do while doing some good with his dark gift, or curse.
He can help rid the world of some of its more evil elements but, when when someone witnesses his power, he is forced to help a criminal or face the consequences.

Enter Amy, an Aussie nurse who has her own (dark) secret and gets enmeshed in Matt’s t
Zen Bookworm
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing and creative idea with characters you want to meet.

I should specify, you only want to meet them if you are on their good side. I am fascinated by the two main characters and their powers. I won't go into the details here for spoilers, but it is so fascinating to read how they decide to use them, what it is like when they do, and the physical and emotional toll it takes on them after the fact. The ebook I purchased also included the short story where one of the characters begins her jo
Deeanna West
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not a genre I often read I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
I devoured it (hehe) within a few days and it only took that long as we were moving while I was trying to read.
I loved the concept of darkness that Baxter explored. Using it as a weapon and yet having it manifest in different ways between the two main characters was very clever.
I'm unsure if there are plans for this to be a series or not but I certainly hope so. While it finished well enough to be a stand-a-lone I still have questi
Leticia
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s no secret that I’m a fan of Al’s work; I have been for a long time.

But there’s something in his latest works that are different.

I don’t know what it is, but something has shifted in the nature of his stories. They’re darker, more visceral. They have more soul than his early works.

It is easy to ascribe this to the natural development of an author. But I think that it’s more likely that something has shifted in Al personally; he’s unlocked, perhaps, something deeper in himself, and that it’s
Brian Bogart
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really dig a lot of Alan Baxter’s stories. Even though I have mostly read his short offerings, the few full-length ones I’ve read I have enjoyed. Devouring Dark is the author’s latest and while it doesn’t hit all the marks I predicted it would from the opening pages, it definitely hit most of them along the way.

We all have our dark side; a darkness that lurks just below the surface. We smile, go out for drinks with some friends, even talk up that cute gal at the pub- we keep it under wraps as
Brian
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Marcus Turner
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read. A crime/noir-ish tale with an infectious supernatural twist I haven't seen before. The narrative is at times poetic and philosophic im its consideration of death and I really appreciated it. My one thought is that the build-up took a while, and then hit the ground running perhaos too fast - I kinda wanted to see Matt McLeod pushed right to the edge, even further, and forced to squirm even more! But that's just a personal opinion, it was a great story and I loved its unique fra ...more
Alan Baxter is an award-winning British-Australian author who writes dark fantasy, horror and sci-fi, rides a motorcycle and loves his dog. He also teaches Kung Fu. He lives among dairy paddocks on the beautiful south coast of NSW, Australia, with his wife, son, dog and cat. He is the author of the dark urban fantasy thriller trilogy, Bound, Obsidian and Abduction (The Alex Caine Series) published ...more