Start by marking “Queen of Coin and Whispers” as Want to Read:
Queen of Coin and Whispers

Queen of Coin and Whispers

‘She loved me as I loved her, fierce as a bloodied blade.’

When teenage queen Lia inherits her corrupt uncle’s bankrupt kingdom, she brings a new spymaster into the fold ... Xania, who takes the job to avenge her murdered father.

Faced with dangerous plots and hidden enemies, can Lia and Xania learn to rely on each another, as they discover that all is not fair in love and
Expected publication: April 6th 2020 by The O'Brien Press

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Coin and Whispers, please sign up.
Helen Corcoran Hello! It's a standalone. The plot arc is complete by the end, but I have ideas for more books set in the same world. It depends if the publisher is…moreHello! It's a standalone. The plot arc is complete by the end, but I have ideas for more books set in the same world. It depends if the publisher is interested.(less)

Start your review of Queen of Coin and Whispers
Helen Corcoran
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I’m biased, of course, but this book means a lot to me!

QUEEN OF COIN AND WHISPERS is about Lia, a newly crowned, idealistic queen, and Xania, her (female) spymaster, who takes the job to uncover her father’s murderer. When they fall for each other, their feelings collide with their expected paths in life: duty and vengeance.

It might be your cup of tea if you like:

f/f (both are lesbians; Xania is also demi)
a queen who’s grown up wanting to rule
a girl who likes numbers (and revenge)
flirting
Iris
May 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
I hear queer royalty = I add to my tbr
Gabriela Pop
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Helen Corcoran is out to put Ireland on the map when it comes to outstanding YA fantasy. A fresh voice in the genre, this book is out for blood and for your hearts.
Following the paths of a young Queen come to power and her spymaster out for vengeance, QUEEN OF COIN AND WHISPERS is an action-packed story full of political intrigue, twist, turns and intense emotions. It is also a wonderful love story between these two powerful women trying to balance out everything they've already got on their
c,
(4.5)

rtc

Rep: lesbian mcs, lesbian, gay & bi side characters, brown mc
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
....what do you mean i can't read this until 2020 :(
Anna
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As part of my work experience during Transition Year in Ireland, I was allowed to read and review this book. I won't spoil anything but I can't help but say that I absolutely adored even the unedited version. It's one of those books that you will pick up at least two or three times a year to read and every time I can guarantee that you'll find something new in the book. I can't wait for it to come out in 2020 so I can read it again and again!
Roberta Pop
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's so many things that passed through my brain whilst I was reading this, most of which would make this review not pg-13, as lots of holy effs and other things among those lines were gasped out loud as I turned pages. There was no way I could have ever predicted any part of what went down, and I really mean any. I loved seeing Lia grow as a queen and Xania developing as a person. As much as I loved those two (and pretty much all characters) Matthias found himself becoming my soft child who ...more
anna grace 🌈
a queen? falling in love with a spy? and they’re both girls?

ongmgnsvwrljsg this sounds SO good
♠ TABI ♠
Jun 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
"wrestle with feelings for each other"

description
Laura King
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Though not out until April 2020, Queen of Coin and Whispers is still one of my favourite reads of this year. As well as wanting to read my friend's book, I was already drawn in by the premise: a young queen and ordinary young lady turned spymaster fall in love when brought together by a common enemy and shared thirst to prove themselves, but since I don't ordinarily read fantasy I didn't expect to fall so in love with it.

I was sucked in by the dark and atmospheric first page. The pacing is
Martin
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this YA fantasy. Twisty and layered political intrigue in a credible world of monarchies and parliaments. A young spymaster fuelled by a need for vengeance, and a new Queen determined to prove herself against powerful forces.
Characters who develop and mature believably on the page, at times grabbing your heart in a most distressing way!
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
"a queen and her spymaster wrestle with feelings for one another" extreme eyes emoji
Eri
May 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
An f/f fantasy with the main character falling for a woman? My prayers have finally been answered.
Jenny
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant, pacey and intriguing story. I adored the central characters, Lia and Xania, and shipped them with every fibre of my being. Highly recommended for fans of vivid world-building, strong female characters, f/f romance, witty dialogue, spying, intrigue and courtly settings. I've been so excited to read this and it did not disappoint. As a queer reader, I loved seeing how queer relationships were treated in the world of this book, it was so refreshing and heartening. I will be squeeing ...more
Karina
Gorgeously written YA fantasy, with lushly tactile world building, it features a spy master driven by revenge and her queen, newly ascended to the throne, whose grasp on power is somewhat shaky.

As feelings tentatively unfurl, the tension mounts as the battle for the throne - and for survival - intensifies.

A stunning debut from a fabulous writer.
Regina Cattus
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
*Firstly, thank you to the O'Brien Press for the free ARC in exchange for this honest review - I was so excited to receive it!*
My goodness does this book bode well for the future! That Corcoran felt able to write this book, and furthermore that she has managed to get it published, makes me incredibly happy.
When I first started reading this book, if I hadn't really read the blurb I probably would have assumed that it was going to be Lia & Xania fighting over their mutual friend Matthias.
Émi
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I'd like to thank O'Brien Press for providing me with an ARC of this book, in exchange for a honest review.

To start off, despite the fact I rated the book 3/5 stars, it does not mean I didn't like it. Three stars is still a positive rating in my opinion.

I would definitely say that the politics and the court intrigue was what made the book worthwhile for me. Although at times, it did leave me confused as it wasn't always the easiest to follow - it was executed well and delivered great potential.
Erin Wilson
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 *
This is a fantastic debut from not only a female voice for fantasy but an Irish fantasy author!
I was so thrilled to get a chance to get to read an early proof copy of Queen of Coin and Whispers.

If you like high court secrets and backstabbing kingdoms definitely be on the lookout for this.
A number of things drew me to this book and ultimately added to my enjoyment.
I feel I can best describe this story as a master chess game, always keeping three steps ahead of your opponent.
MaryBrigid Turner
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic and most enjoyable read, that is both a political thriller and a beautiful love story. One that keeps you guessing to the very last page. I am very proud to call this wonderful author a friend and hope this is the first of many books from her.
Insert Name Here
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Lia's uncle has run the kingdom into the ground with his excesses, allowing his ministers to run roughshod over the country. Lia is determined to turn things around. Her new spymaster may be able to help, but as the threads of conflict tangle around them, will they emerge unscathed?

I mentioned this on Twitter, and it's still true; this is not a book to half-read while you're also watching TV. This is a book that demands all of your attention. There is a lot of political manovoeuring, and while
Claire Knight
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
So glad I chose this as my first ARC of 2020. This book GRIPPED ME, at first I thought I was so clever and was figuring things out and then BAM I would be hit by a plot twist.
It’s like this book knew how to keep me reading it! I am a sucker for anything with intrigue, throw in a healthy dash of queer romance in there as well and I am gone.
I loved the character creation- I hate when characters come across and too black or too white. Instead here we had characters with shades of grey and that
Sifa Poulton
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the publishers in exchange for an honest review. It has not affected my opinions.

An incredible debut political fantasy full of layers of deception and economic intrigue forms a large part (be still my geeky heart!)
Amy
Thank you, The O'Brien Press for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

YA fantasy with a F/F romance between a queen and her spymaster
biconique
Oct 13, 2019 marked it as released-2020
gosh this cover... is so pretty...
May Regan
Nov 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
yep yep yep this is promising because TEENAGE QUEENS and REVENGE ON MURDER and LOVE AND TREASON
Night-Mere
Amazing! More in-depth review to come
Marilla
Dec 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
i hear this is an economic political fantasy? i'm highly intrigued?
Elena

• Toffee
  • The M Word
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • The Wives
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Frostheart
  • Slay
  • A Strange Kind of Brave
  • Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co., #2)
  • What Magic Is This?
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray, #1)
  • Heartstream
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
Helen Corcoran was born and raised in Ireland, but is more likely to go searching for a werewolf than a crock of gold at the end of a rainbow. She worked as a bookseller for twelve years, with a specific interest in fantasy and YA fiction, which she also writes. She currently lives in Dublin, cultivating a budding caffeine addiction while her book collection threatens to take over her house.