Start by marking “Drawing Mr. Darcy: Sketching His Character (Drawing Mr. Darcy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Drawing Mr. Darcy: Sketching His Character (Drawing Mr. Darcy, #1)

Drawing Mr. Darcy: Sketching His Character

( Drawing Mr. Darcy #1)

When Thomas Bennet's childless aunt and uncle ask that one of his five daughters come to stay with them, he knows just which girl to send. Bright, energetic, and endlessly inquisitive, his little Lizzy is poised to become the apple of her father’s eye and the target of her mother’s fears. Neither will promote family harmony.

When she returns to Longbourn as a young woman,
Published November 14th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Drawing Mr. Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing Mr. Darcy

Start your review of Drawing Mr. Darcy: Sketching His Character (Drawing Mr. Darcy, #1)
Debbie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jaff, 2018-jaff, i-own-it
5+ stars!!

Oh, such delectable irony! By the time this story gets to the Meryton assembly, this author has her readers salivating in anticipation of the inevitable meeting between Elizabeth and Darcy.

The book actually begins with Elizabeth at age 10. She is the daughter chosen to go and live with Mr. Bennet's childless aunt Olivia and her husband Phillip Russell. They adopt her, and she becomes Elizabeth Russell.

The Russells are quite wealthy, even bailing out Longbourn financially after Olivia
wosedwew
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere. ~ G.K. Chesterton

What do Fanny Price and Frank Churchill have in common? That’s right – they are sent from their childhood homes and raised by wealthier relatives.

In this story, Elizabeth Bennet joins them in being adopted into a different family.

Mr. Bennet’s Aunt and Uncle Russell have been financially helpful to Mr. Bennet in the past when Longbourn was in dire straits. This loving older couple is childless and has always felt that lo
Joan
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Avid Reader

It has been some time since I have read a book that held me spellbound from beginning to end. Elizabeth is amazing, She manages everyone around her with ease, and Jane is no slouch either. The relationship that Elizabeth has with Georgina saved her from Mr. Wickham. Her Uncle Russell gets through Mr. Darcy 's blindness concerning Wickham. He is left nothing in the will. If course, Mr. Collins shows up in the end. Why her mother thinks Elizabeth would want to marry such a man is a puzz
Lynn
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable book

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read. The essence of the story is that Elizabeth is set away to live with an older, much richer aunt and uncle when she is ten. Her life is changed greatly by this down to her name as she is known as Elizabe5h Bennet Russel. When she is older she goes back to stay with her Bennet family for several months and is asked to go by Elizabeth Bennet. This sets the story up for some of the happenings from Pride and Prejudice. I am now impatiently wai
Mary
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
A wonderfully written,addictive and surprisingly different perspective on our beloved P and P,one which I highly recommend.
Can't wait to read book two!!
Carole (in Canada)
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Austenesque, P&P variation (outside the box)
My Rating: 5++++

Exquisite!

You know when you read a book and you say to yourself: "Why didn't I read this sooner?" But I sometimes think, when this happens, I was meant to read this book at the time I did...not any sooner, nor any later. That is the case for this story. I needed this book now, during this home isolation period, to bring me such joy and delight. For that pretty well sums up my feelings for it.

The book description gives you a good idea what this variation will be about. But the con
Elin Eriksen
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I had to describe this book with one word, it would be elegant. It had a sophistication to it, that made it a delightful read. Written with warmth and intellect, highly recommend this book by one of the most talented authors I have come across.

Enters ten years before canon with the ten year old Elizabeth who was the chosen daughter to be sent off North, to some very wealthy but childless relatives. I love these premises with Elizabeth of elevated rank, especially when done in this plausible
Teresita
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story

I felt bad for Lizzy in the beginning but I loved the way her life is going so far. She got her sisters back and her love life is heading in the right direction up to now. Can't wait to read the second book of this story!
Abigail Bok
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It seems a bit artificial to review this book without its companion second volume, because the two seem inseparable (this one literally ends in the middle of a scene). Still, that's what technology dictates, and what technology dictates, I for one am not woman enough to fight.

This first book of Drawing Mr. Darcy is a period variation on Pride and Prejudice (for those of you who haven't guessed) that takes the story on a different path even before it begins. The year is 1801, a decade before the
Suzan Lauder
Warning to those who did not read the details about this book: It's not a complete novel, it's the first half of the story. Though it ends in a good place, the story arc is incomplete and the reader won't feel full satiation without reading the second half. The two books are very pricey considering this, more so than other serial books I've read and complained about the price. That's why it took me so long to get to them. I was waiting for a sale, which didn't happen.

The writing is superb. Few R
writer...
Charming variation of Elizabeth Bennet's life inspired by intriguing childhood arrangements adding unique perspectives. Loved the author's insights and storytelling.
James S
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lizzy spends 10 years growing with relatives

Very enjoyable book. Well written, engaging, lots of new story elements.

If possible you read this without spoilers...it’s that good.

Darcy is still a dunderhead but in his defense he wants to do the right thing(s) for Georgiana.

This Lizzy is very interesting in this story. Her time growing up is fun to read about.

I recommend this book highly.
Bronwen Chisholm
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting

Though I prefer stories completed in one book, this preview intrigued me. I found it difficult to put it down (and must now catch up on the work that should have been done yesterday). The underlying humor throughout the story is wonderful. I actually found it necessary to reach out to the author over one particular line which had me smiling most of the day. In truth, I would give it a 4.5 but only due to editing issues. I am anxiously awaiting part two.
Elizabeth Hossenlopp
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No wonder this book has so many 5 star reviews. It is truly wonderful! I couldn’t put it down. The storyline was skewed slightly but made for amazing, gripping tale. Loved it!
Anna Fitzwilliam
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Elizabeth is too perfect to be real. And that's boring.
Sheila Majczan
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this as much the second time as the first. I didn't have time to post a review the first time due to how busy the holiday season was for me and determined that I must reread it in order to have facts clear in my mind. Believe me, it was a pleasure both times.

Elizabeth at age ten is sent to live with her father's childless Aunt Olivia and Uncle Phillip Russell. They have not only helped Mr. Bennet over some financial difficulties which save the estate but have also set up dowrie
Abi Demina
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff
3.5 stars.

The beginning of this book was slow, starting with Elizabeth at age ten, when she leaves her family at Longbourn to live with her great aunt and uncle in the north.

The purpose of this seems to be to endow Elizabeth with every single trait and accomplishment possible, as she has access to all the best drawing and music masters etc., as well as providing her with a large fortune, a potentially huge inheritence, and skills in business and estate management. She is also Georgiana Darcy's b
Dawn
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-austen
4.5 I really enjoyed this very different P&P variation. Elizabeth is sent to live with her Aunt and Uncle Russell when she is 10 years old and even becomes Elizabeth Bennet Russell when her relatives request she take on their name. It was fun getting a glimpse of what a young and curious Lizzy Bennet would be like. I wanted to reach into the book and squeeze cute little Lizzy! As she grows and matures, she is encouraged to ask questions and to not only nurture her gifts and talents, but to alway ...more
lori huff
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

This is another rather epic story, starting when Elizabeth is only ten years old, and involving a drastic, life changing event for her. Following some financial ups and downs in the Bennett family, wealthy relations offer to raise one of the girls, and Elizabeth is chosen because of her strength of character and resilience. She is raised in a happy home with her aunt and uncle, and given every advantage, and her natural intelligence and ambition enable her to learn and do things in busi
Susan
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thomas Bennet has received a request from his childless Aunt Olivia. To raise one of his daughters as her own. With the three youngest deemed to be too young and Mrs Bennet refusing to send Jane. That leave Elizabeth to grow up in her wealthy and well-connected relation's home.
Then she returns to Longbourn for a long visit just as the Bingleys and Darcy arrive at Netherfield.
I enjoyed this well-written story a lot. I even actually liked Elizabeth, and enjoyed the portrayal of Jane and Mary. Th
Sarah Ingerson
This book was very enjoyable. Lizzy and Darcy are well crafted, and I especially enjoyed getting to see an extra sassy, sophisticated Lizzy. Girl knows how to carry herself. Feminist icon 2.0. I also enjoyed getting to see a different version of Mary. Mary is a misanthrope after my own heart. Very fun.

The only critique I have is that it needs some more proofreading. Overall though, a very enjoyable read.
E. Davidson
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Points for originality

For the most part I found the maturing Elizabeth delightful. Her Aunt Olivia also was lively and interesting. I cannot say the same for any of the other character variations or for most of the plot and ending. Those I found alternately tedious and unfinished. Not certain if I will read Book 2.
PJ Jones
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful

This was a great retelling of Pride and Prejudice. The new characters were delightful and it was great fun to be along for the ride. I really liked Elizabeth and the other girls of the Bennet family fleshed out. Look forward to Volume 2.
Michelle
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely

A rather enjoyable and interesting variation of Jane Austen’s classic Pride And Prejudice. Diverges rather widely from canon but is a grand adventure
Michelle
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best JAFF I've read in a long time.

Original, excellent writing, characters fresh but true. It's ridiculous that I have to write 13 more words when I just want to read the sequel.
Katie Nuzman
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
jamila hutchinson
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book but...

This was a good story. It's realistic and a page turner. The only thing is that Elizabeth is a self absorbed know it all. That's realistic too.
Jeanah
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very addictive. My other work suffered because I Could not put it down. Even when I was forced to I continued to think on the situations presented. A fascinating scenario.
Diann Carey
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really good. I've read it twice now. One of my favorite fanfictions.
T
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the changes at Longbourn and Lizzy’s childhood. The stay at Netherfield and the interaction with the Bingley sisters was very amusing. I loved that Darcy made his decision on Miss E Bennet not Miss Russell. I do enjoy when Miss Bingley later finds out Elizabeth has connections, but the downside is it takes away from the romance of Darcy loving and respecting Lizzy just for herself, so the way this author presents it is perfect. I like that Lizzy appreciates this too; the author has allow ...more

• Speechless
  • A Timely Elopement: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Mr Darcy: A Man with a Plan
  • A Case of Some Delicacy
  • A Fine Joke
  • The Lost Heir: A Darcy and Elizabeth Pride and Prejudice Variation (The Ardent Love of Fitzwilliam Darcy Book 3)
  • The Rogue's Widow
  • A Baby for Mr. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • With My Whole Heart Forever
  • A Matter of Honor: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Trapped at Rosings: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

Drawing Mr. Darcy (2 books)
  • Drawing Mr. Darcy: A Faithful Portrait (Drawing Mr. Darcy, #2)