Start by marking “The Forgotten Painting” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Painting

The Forgotten Painting

(Jack Rogan Mysteries 0.5)

***Gold Medal Winner at Readers' Favorite 2018 International Book Awards Contest in Fiction Short Story/Novella Category***
***Outstanding Novella 2018 IAN Book of the Year Awards***

When celebrated author Jack Rogan stumbles upon a hidden diary, he can’t resist investigating. Honouring the last wish of a dying friend, he is irresistibly drawn into a web of
Published October 2018 by Bear & King Publishing (first published September 28th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Painting, please sign up.
Jessica Lucci I read and reviewed this book, and thoroughly enjoyed it even though I had not read anything else by you. I did not feel out of the loop, but I could…moreI read and reviewed this book, and thoroughly enjoyed it even though I had not read anything else by you. I did not feel out of the loop, but I could sense there were references to other stories. This did not detract at all, and I felt like hinting at the characters' backstory made them more interesting. It made me curious enough to add you to my TBR pile! (less)

Start your review of The Forgotten Painting
Bren
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Fiction, fans of Art.
3.5 Stars.

First things first. Why is this book labeled as a thriller? That is way off.

This book is not a thriller. It is an Historical Mystery about a painting. It is not a thriller/horror novel. It is about a Monet Painting that is being auctioned off. We, the readers, are taken back in time to WW2 where the story of the painting is told.

This was captivating in several ways. Yet towards the middle I had to skim a bit. This is not a very long book. It is not a
Meenaz Lodhi
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm enchanted with this novella. The author's dominium of history is impressive and so wonderfully described, it makes it a very enjoyable read. The mystery of a painting, disappearing during WWII, a very painful point of history, the circumstances behind, the Terrible Nazis, atrocities committed... Jack Rogan is a great story teller, mesmerizing, it felt as if I was there at the auction! But, the merit goes to Gabriel Farago! A fascinating historical mystery! I'm totally captivated with the ser ...more
Manjri Gopalan
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read, especially the second half of the book. Enjoyed reading it.
Janice Richardson
An engaging novella, The Forgotten Painting is a lead-in to the Jack Rogan series. Full of twists and turns, it is a splendid way to spend an hour. Great read.
Brian O'Hare
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it

A few days ago, I found an unsolicited copy of The Forgotten Painting by Gabriel Farago in my email box. Normally I tend to ignore these approaches but I am a sucker for anything to do with Nazis and WW2, so I decided to read it.

This is a very interesting story inspired by the Nazis nasty penchant for stealing great works of art from cities all over Europe, especially during the occupation of France in the early 1940s. In this case, a Monet painting that was stolen during the war resurfaces for
L.S.
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself was pretty good, but the constant references to the MC's other books (Jack Rogan here is an author) was distracting. The story of the painting only filled half of the pages of this book, the rest being excerpts of Farago's other works. I realise this was a story to attract new readers, but it was too short for me and hijacked by Rogan's own career.
Susan
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jack Rogan after discovering a diary detailing a hidden treasure follows the clue to the discovery of the forgotten painting.
Unfortunately the story or the style of writing didn't really catch my interest.
Emily-Jane Orford
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, music, art
Joy, sorrow, suffering, tragedy, loss – the entire spectrum of human emotions can envelope a person for either good or evil. Nothing expresses the magnitude and infinitesimally emotional power of music and art than the story that surrounds the lives that both created them and those that nurtured and enjoyed them. Music and art are the very depths of the essence of being human. So, the story that follows music and art, creates a powerful life force of its own. A story wrought with the joy of givi ...more
Chazzi
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, history-era
I downloaded this to my Kindle Fire. I sounded interesting and it was. It is a novella: longer than a short story but shorter than a true novel.

A Monet painting is up for auction...one with an interesting back story. Prior to the auction, its history/provenance is revealed. The chapters bounce between the current and the past time periods, revealing the history of the painting, the people involved and the era all happened in.

Claude Monet paints a painting of a garden scen
Joyce
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 and 1 / 2 stars

This novella travels back and forth between time periods, but it only enhances the story.

Berenger Krakowski, a concert violinist, and his family lived in the Warsaw ghetto in 1943. When the Nazi’s came, they confiscated the painting called “Little Sparrow in the Garden” that was on the wall and sent the entire family to Auschwitz. The sole survivor of the family, the son, Benjamin, had the painting recovered by Jack Rogan, a famous author.

Jack Rogan reco
Jason Duby
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Forgotten Painting is a novella written by Gabriel Farago as a bit of introduction to his three longer works. It IS a complete, if shorter, work on its own that features many of the characters that can be encountered in his works. The idea, as revealed in the Author’s Notes, was to give people a taste of what his other works are like. However, it is an entertaining story on its own and should not be discounted.

I haven’t read any of Mr. Farago’s other works, but I found this stor
Jean Kolinofsky
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For readers who are unfamiliar with Gabriel Farago’s Jack Rogan series, The Forgotten Painting is a novella that not only introduces Jack, but also provides a satisfying mystery dating back to WWII.

The painting in question is one by Claude Monet featuring a violinist in a garden. The painting was given to the violinist but during the war it was confiscated before the family was transported to a camp. In the present Jack Rogan is in possession of a diary that leads to the present location of the
Audrey
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Krakowski’s father received an original Money painting by the artist himself when he was young. As the war got closer and the Warsaw ghetto was being emptied a desperate father sells his precious painting in hopes it will scar his family before he can part with the painting he asks his friend to make a copy for him. Unbeknownst to him his friend gives the original back to Mr. Krakowski and puta the forgery in the original Monet frame. Jack Rogan is raised in the Australia’sn outback where he ...more
C.A. Sole
This book is listed as a thriller, but unfortunately there is very little suspense in it. What could be a really good story (the subject has the potential to be fascinating), is presented as a series of events with no tension to urge you to read on. It is not badly written, but the story is inadequately told. Prior to this I read another of Farago's works, The Empress Holds the Key, and had similar thoughts. The latter is a better book, but still there is very little tension in it. Everyone one ...more
Jolyn
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, mystery
Disappointed by profanity

I was very much enjoying this introduction to Mr. Farago's Jack Rogan series until I encountering profanities 7 chapters into the story. I admit that I am very fussy and any profanity kills a story for me. I stopped reading after the second occurrence in chapter 10. I leave this review for those, like me, who wish to avoid stories containing profanity.

A transgender rock star Isis appeared in this story before I stopped reading. Based on what was written about
Isabella Le Roux
I really enjoyed this book immensely. Gabriel Farago is a great storyteller. I just could not put the book down after I started reading it.

The story is about a forgotten Monet painting "Little Sparrow in the Garden". It's an extraordinary story of the Krakowski family in the Warsaw Ghetto in 1942. How Berenger Krakowski a musician had a painting that was given to him by Monet himself and its history up until the auction of the painting and then the story that unfolded after the auction. The sto
Catriona
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Well-Written Introduction to an Exciting Series

I enjoyed reading this story, which is set in modern times, but really begins in the past. Each part of the adventure transported me from my own confines to times and places that contrast greatly with each other.

Gabriel Farago is a skilled and seasoned author who is able to tell a good story with a light touch.

This mystery has elements of history, music, art, and even psychic phenomena, all subjects I love readi
Carol Butler
Very interesting novella, most of us know that the German Nazi's plundered and stole works of art, and what happened to the Jews, not only in Germany but also in Poland. This story is of a polish musician a violinist, and a painting that was given to him by Monet. That was not stolen at the time but purchased by using gold from the fillings of the Jews that went to the gas chambers, and then back to the present day the painting has materialized and is up for auction, no more of the story as it w ...more
Barbara Papillo
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The glue that kept me intrigued

I was about to read the fourth story in the Jack Rogan series when I read in the authors note about the Book The Forgotten Painting and Novella that brings all of his characters together in a short story.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and of course intrigued by Gabriel Fargo’s wonderful way of weaving everyone’s lives together into another pager turner! I was hooked right from the first page! Thank you again for such Jack and all of his friends whom hav
Virginia Tican
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one delicious way of giving those Nazi bastards their comeuppance even if those who dealt the subtle blow (in this particular case, a Monet forgery) still got killed in the concentration camps ~ though David Herzl (the master forger) died during the ghetto riots in 1943. What is even more chillingly bizarre is the mode of payment from the buyer to Berenger Krakowski ~ two gold bars from the dental gold harvested from the dead Jews by the surviving Jews on the camps as one more enforced l ...more
Mackie O'Hara
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel Farago was upfront about his motivations for writing this novella: give a gift to his fans and entice new readers by introducing his main characters and hinting at their other adventures. I was a new reader and I will definitely be reading the other books in this series.

I thought the chapter transitions were a bit lacking "Let me tell you about it..." was employed twice to lead into flashback chapters. Some of the dialogue wasn't as realistic as I'd like, but it was a thoroughly enjoyab
Margaret
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel Farago, Australian author of the Jack Rogan thrillers series for the thinking reader was asked by his publisher to write a novella about Rogan's backstory for current a new readers. It ties together so many elements of his following books and introduces a number of important characters. The story itself is very clever with the requisite twists and turn you'd expect. When you know the story, Fargo brings it yet another amazing twist. The Forgotten Painting, a story well worth reading!
Lisa
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical mystery at its best!

Fascinating novella about an unknown Monet masterpiece and the journey the painting went on. From the Jewish ghettos to a mission in Australia the story travels the globe with interesting characters, a secret diary and a search for a family's heritage. I enjoyed this novella immensely and look forward to reading Gabriel Farago's full length books. If this novella is an indication of his writing talent, I know I'm in for more exciting reads.
Carolyn Sanders
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This newly found (for me) author has taken hold of me for future reads. In this case a painting lost from WWII has surfaced and is for sale. Mr. Farago takes hold of the story and mixes the past and the present with fiction and truth that makes you run for history books and look it all up. Then he also mixes in a scary "who done it" to the situation. A book you will want to keep reading until the very end....and wanting more (which he has written).
Lora
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Novella is amazing. A stand-alone story that gives me a good feel for the authors style, incorporates characters from the series and educates me. I am not an “art” person but felt the passion people can feel for art. I do however love a story teller. The way the story of the painting and the people involved unfolds I was captivated. Oh, and I love Jack Rogan. I can’t wait to read more of this series.
Elisa
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The reason I did not rate this book as 5 stars is that it was not quote worthy. I did like the story but it didn't fill me and make me think and ponder like what I like in a really good book.

Again, the story was good and kept me captivated. It wasn't very long and I read it on a flight in a few hours.
Petra Beck
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a bit of a wild ride but quite engaging and fun to read, and it made me interested in Farago's other books, which I reckon was the purpose.
It is well written but there was a bit too much packed into this novella, and it spoilt the other books (which I read afterwards) to some extent, because the timelines of all the events became really confusing.
Peter Maurer
Dec 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
About 25% of the way into this story, while Rogan is plodding through the story of how the wonderful painting got restored to its rightful owner, I asked myself the question the author should have asked before writing this: who cares anyway? Not me, certainly. And probably not anybody else either. Bye bye.
Spokie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is well worth a read. It brings to life, even if fictional, what happened to many of those of the Jewish faith under the reign of Adolf Hitler. The writing style of mixing present day happenings with those that happened during the war in subsequent chapters works well in this book. I do like the ending and the change of heart of the old SS officer.
Jan
Jack Rogan is a grandstander and I find him annoying, but the story is anything but annoying. Detailing the awful provenance of the painting at auction was rather well done as was the portrayal of a former Swiss banker in the latter third of the book which is too short for synopsis or spoilers. I found it engaging and look forward to reading others in the series.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Change book cover 4 20 Oct 25, 2018 07:24PM
Goodreads Librari...: Remove a book from a series 2 26 Apr 07, 2017 10:30AM

• Light Parade (Detective Lottie King Mystery Short Stories #3.5)
  • Deadly Pursuit (Deadly #1)
  • A Terminal Agenda (Severance #1)
  • Death of a Cantankerous Old Coot
  • The Others
  • Entanglement of Fate (Elliott's Register Mysteries #1)
  • Death In December - A Short Mystery: A Jayne Belmont Mystery Series (Jayne Belmont Mysteries Book 1)
  • Murder Rites: A Johnny Sundance Mystery
  • Polar Bear Dawn (Detective Bernadette Callahan Mystery #1)
  • His Hand In the Storm (Chief Inspector Gray James #1)
  • Hold On! (Hold On! #1)
  • Works of Darkness (Matt Foley/Sara Bradford, #1)
  • Mountain of Lies (The Pack Book 1)
  • Forgotten (Araneya Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Money, Murder and Mayhem (Cryptic Cove Mystery #1)
  • The Golden Icon (Mikky dos Santos 0.5)
  • Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • The Wife of a Lesser Man
Gabriel Farago is the international, bestselling and multi-award-winning Australian author of the Jack Rogan mysteries and thrillers series for the thinking reader.

As a lawyer with a passion for history and archaeology, Gabriel had to wait for many years before being able to pursue another passion—writing—in earnest. However, his love of books and storytelling started long before that.

Jack Rogan Mysteries (4 books)
  • The Empress Holds the Key (Jack Rogan Mysteries, #1)
  • The Disappearance of Anna Popov (Jack Rogan Mysteries, #2)
  • The Hidden Genes of Professor K (Jack Rogan Mysteries, #3)
  • Professor K: The Final Quest (Jack Rogan Mysteries #4)