Start by marking “The Lost Shrine (Hills & Barbrook #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Shrine (Hills & Barbrook #2)

The Lost Shrine

(Hills & Barbrook #2)

Clare Hills, archaeologist and sometime sleuth, is struggling to finance her recently established university research institute along with her long-time friend, Dr David Barbrook. When Professor Margaret Bockford finds the Hart Unit commercial work with a housing developer on a site in the Cotswolds, the pair are hardly in a position to refuse. There is just one slight cat

Kindle Edition
Published May 23rd 2019 by Allison & Busby

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Shrine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Shrine

Start your review of The Lost Shrine (Hills & Barbrook #2)
Cathy
I really enjoyed The Hidden Bones, the first book in the series featuring archaeologists Clare Hills and David Barbrook. Although The Lost Shrine can definitely be enjoyed as a standalone, it does contain references to events in the earlier book so, ideally, I would recommend reading the series from the beginning.

I enjoyed being reunited with some of Clare’s team from the previous book, such as Margaret and Jo, and, of course, her friend and colleague, David. They share her passion for archaeol
Sherrie
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyable second novel in the Hills and Barbrook series, I once again liked the archaeological references but found the story a bit predictable. Easy to work out the bad guy fairly early on.
Janelle
Apr 04, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
2.75* rounded up to 3*
Cidney
Feb 01, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
This book certainly started off with a bang, a sort of druid is leading a group of people up a hill into a wood when they find, well an horrific site with animals killed and tied up with orange baler twine, and the leader of an archaeological excavation is found hanging from a tree, apparently from suicide. Really? You have to read the horrible description and wonder if anyone actually looked into this.

The book is fast paced and in order to gain funds for the archaeological dept Clare steps in t
Kerry Hennigan
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Elly Griffiths' series of archaeological murder mysteries, I was naturally thrilled to discover Nicola Ford. "The Lost Shrine" was a novel I picked up out of curiosity at my local library, and on finishing it, became hungry for more of Claire Hills' adventures - digging and sleuthing, while navigating her way between the need to fulfil her contract with an impatient developer, and her desire to discover just what her predecessor had found at Bailsgrove to convince her it was the loca ...more
Kirsty Stanley

I reviewed the first book by Nicola - The Hidden Bones - last year and now the series has its own name. “Hills and Barbrook” after the two main archeology characters.

The Lost Shrine can be read as a stand alone although there are mentions to some of the events in book one, and an unfinished thread to move us forward. Clare, David and Jo, and others are back and already they feel familiar. There’s also some new characters including a local druid who makes things - interesting.

Clare is
Gemma McGee
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Mixture of murder mystery with archeology makes The Lost Shrine a thrilling read.
The Lost Shrine is like a murder mystery happening in the middle of Time Team. (Time team is a TV that followed archeology digs in the UK hosted by Tony Robinson. It was great you should google it) I am a history geek, so I loved reading about the dig, the items found even the paperwork need to remove certain items.
Nicola writing style is detailed, easy to read and engaging. Never was I left wondering about ...more
Ray Akerboom
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Interesting book when you are into archeology, because it tells ins-and-outs about digging and finding and the whole academic world and process around it. The story is good, no doubt about it, but at the end, actually the last two pages, suddenly everything has to be revealed where you had no idea from. As a Deus ex Machina the explanations drop out of a clear sky. Not so very good fo a whodunnit...
John Needle
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great second novel

The author's knowledge once again helps weave a story centred round a site excavation which has murder and mystery at its heart. A rattling good read which I heartily recommend.
Katharine
Apr 15, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Probably 3.5 as I did enjoy it. The archaeological background felt very authentic and the mystery was good though easily guessable. I felt it sagged a bit in the middle and there were some loose ends left which were obviously part of an ungoing storyline. An enjoyable read.
Lesley Holdway
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second book was as good as the first. I was gripped from page 1 and am eagerly awaiting book 3. I am really enjoying the locations which are local to me and the characters are becoming old friends. Thank you Nicola.
Neil Toplis
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Another great book. A real page Turner where the twists just keep you reading looking forward to reading more by Nicola Ford
Suzy Dominey
Great story
GeraniumCat
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery
I was attracted to this book because the author is an archaeologist and I've been reading a lot of non-fiction on the subject of late. I usually enjoy fiction about it too, but there's not so much of it about, so I was pleased to find a new author to follow.
My rating would really be 3.5 stars - I swithered between 3 and 4, partly because it seemed just a tiny bit derivative, with its hippy/druid character who visits the site, and its female academic who is up against the male establishment. Neve
Liz
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I look forward to number 3.
Natalie
Jan 10, 2021
Sam Mooney
Aug 27, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• In Plain Sight (Detective Clare Mackay, #2)
  • Drowned Lives
  • Dark Game (DI Kelly Porter, #1)
  • Pulpit Rock (DI Ben Kitto #4)
  • Rather Be the Devil (Inspector Rebus, #21)
  • Condemned (DI Charley Mann #2)
  • Confessions of a Pagan Nun
  • Deadly Design (Deadly Past, #2)
  • The Whistling
  • One for Sorrow (D.I. Callanach #7)
  • The Locked Room
  • The Finisher (Peter Diamond, #19)
  • City of Scars (DCI Logan Crime #14)
  • Killing for Keeps (DCI Kate Daniels, #5)
  • The Dark Angel
  • The King's Witch (Frances Gorges Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forever Queen (Saxon #2)
  • Cop To Corpse (Peter Diamond, #12)
Nicola Ford is the alter ego of Dr Nick Snashall, archaeologist for the Stonehenge and Avebury World Heritage Site. Through her day-job and now her writing, she's spent more time than most people thinking about the dead.

Nicola's writing brings together the worlds of archaeology and crime, unravelling the tangled threads left behind by murder to reveal the stories of those who can no longer speak f

Hills & Barbrook (2 books)
  • The Hidden Bones (Hills & Barbrook #1)