Start by marking “Evoke (Lake Haven, Book #1)” as Want to Read:
Evoke (Lake Haven, Book #1)

Evoke

(Lake Haven #1)

Set in the fictional town of Lake Haven, Maine, Evoke examines the complexities of love and loss among childhood friends after a tragic accident claims the lives of three, while leaving two behind. When five friends return home from college for the summer, it feels as if the friendship that has bound them together since childhood is stronger than ever. But when Laney ...more
Published November 2018 by BookBaby

To ask other readers questions about Evoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evoke

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Best for Book Clubs
6,036 books — 11,524 voters
Quantum Roots II by Kyle KeyesBentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeThe Mountain's Morning Song by William GraneyScars and Voices by Adam Carpenter WellesLove is the Answer, God is the Cure by Aimee Cabo Nikolov
Indie Writers Unite!
1,042 books — 930 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Evoke (Lake Haven, Book #1)
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First Off I have to say KUDOS to this book. I have not read a YA/NA book in a while and I have to say that this one grabbed me right from page one and kept me reading till the end and when the end came I wanted more. I need the second book like ASAP! This book has brought so many emotions out of me. I laughed and I cried but most off all I was curious what was going on and why we have such a tragic loss.

5 Friends come home for the summer from college. They are enjoying themselves and spending
Kat
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book had a mix of emotions. We are thrown into this tragic situation where we immediately can tell that something sad occurred. Since the main character is vulnerable, having spent two months in the hospital, we are stuck slowly discovering the events that led up to the present.

This is a story about friendship, love, and discovery. Don't go into this book thinking that you will need a couple boxes of tissues because there are happier moments thrown in. The author throws in a mix of
Christine Antosca
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-book-tours

The cover alone showed us that the main character, Laney, is someone who is remorseful after the death of her three friends in an accident where she was the sole survivor. You can sense her sadness, making you want her to find happiness in the end.

Simmon's writing, although had some of the same tendencies in young adult novels, was still original in it's own way. Young love from an early age reunited with a tragic event...we've seen it before but Simmons made it intriguing by going back and

Julie Schneider
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never been much of reader, but Evoke changed that. I couldn’t put it down. Although it’s considered young adult, this adult still got lost in Laney’s recovery from the accident and how her memories unfolded. I loved how the author integrated flashbacks and memories into the story and really brought the reader along Laney’s journey. I can’t wait for the rest of the series to be released, it left me wanting more.
I do have to add that I received an ARC at no cost from the author, but that in
Haddie
As the first installment to a brand new series, I think Evoke does an excellent job in being the hook. Because I was hooked from the description, but once I was actually in the book and within Laney's mind. I fell in love with Evan. I despised Dean. I feel that Danielle Simmons did a great job in writing Laney's memory loss and all that comes her way as that memory returns. Her (the author) writing style was great. The characters, the story. It was all amazing.

4.5 Stars.

DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN
Bookworm Bells
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely 5 star!
This is a seriously great book, god my emotions! Up/down, left/right, all over the place! What a journey she went through and thank god for Evan! I WANT ONE!!
Slightly disappointed at the end but I’m really hoping that this story is not finished and there is more to come
Grady
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘I don’t remember being in an accident.’

California author Danielle Simmons makes an impressive debut with EVOKE – the first installment in her planned trilogy, ‘Lake Haven.’ After earning her BA in English from the University of the Pacific and now lives in the San Francisco Bay Area where she works as a public relations executive.

It is rare for an author to be able to establish a mood in the opening words of a novel that asks the reader to visit a tragedy, but Danielle has already mastered this
Tiffany Arnold
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The summary talks of a tale of five friends, bonded in a tight friendship, one day Laney wakes up a sole survivor of a car accident that killed three of her friends. But this story is so much more than that.

In this story, we are following Laney’s mind as she loses a whole week from her life. We walk with her as she remembers pieces and the pain of losing those closes to her.
The grief you feel in the beginning is a lasting one, it’s as if your own heart has been ripped out. Danielle Simmons takes
Rabid Reads
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting story about a woman who endures the shock of tragedy, and finds an anchor to the world she knows when the dust starts to clear.

The story is definitely written for the young adult scene, but as most young adult stories they can be enjoyed across multiple age groups. Simmons does a good job of basically reverse engineering the story and revealing bit by bit, kind of like a mystery but not quite.

The writing is solid, I found it flowed quite well (which is a good thing since
Fragrant Vagrant
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not the biggest reader of YA fiction for the most part but I do like to dip my toe in every once in a while, and having done that with Evoke I was pleasantly rewarded by a solidly written book with a pretty compelling plot.

I would also say not to be overly misled by the cover either as it seems to indicate, at least to me, that this would be more of a romance type book but it has a lot more going on than that. The mystery aspect of the book is the most enthralling, and it can get pretty
N.W. Moors
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I grabbed this book because it takes place in Maine and looked interesting. The writing is good and the mystery evolves at a good pace. The characters are typical YA, but okay though I found Dean somewhat of a caricature which is too bad as PTSD is a serious problem in veterans. The setting was not really recognizable as coastal Maine, probably not something that would bother most readers but I found it disconcerting. All in all, it's an okay book, but I didn't feel moved to get the next book in ...more
Ryan Albright
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Evoke is a fictional story of a young woman who is injured in a horrific car accident and essentially loses everything, including herself. Through the power of love she is able to overcome incredible odds. This is not your average love story and it kept me guessing at every chapter. It is an easy read and I had a hard time putting it down. I am looking forward to the next book. A highly recommended read!
Dennis
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well read this book and I found the premise of the read excellent I especially liked the location and the main characters take on how things happened to them. I think its intriguing as I wondered all along how would this read end so it kept me reading. I am not an avid reader but I HIGHLY recommend this book for your 20-30age. Its has a fascinating concept!
Tammy Collado
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and I truly can not wait for more of this story with the second book. Thank you to the author Danielle Simmons for sparking my interest again in getting lost in a good book. It had been a while.
Nakita Farrare
Feb 21, 2019
Harold Stucker
Feb 24, 2019
D.M. Simmons
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Benjamin Giner
Besaro
Nov 21, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
New Adult Book Club: #97/18 ~ Evoke by Danielle Simmons 12 48 Feb 15, 2019 12:16PM

• Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
  • Mission: Subhero
  • The Scopas Factor
  • The Mountain's Morning Song
  • Mistress Suffragette
  • Love is the Answer, God is the Cure: A True Story of Abuse, Betrayal and Unconditional Love
  • Chasing the Red Queen
  • Triplicity
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell #1)
D.M. Simmons grew up in a small town in California's Sierra Nevada Foothills. A voracious reader from an early age, she began writing poetry and short stories in elementary school, and continued that passion throughout high school and college. She studied literature, creative writing and communications at University of the Pacific, where she received her Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. She ...more