Start by marking “The Frights of Fiji (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Frights of Fiji (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #1)

The Frights of Fiji

(Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions #1)

A world of magic and adventure awaits for 12-year-old Alyssa McCarthy. A sorcerer kidnaps her to an enchanted island, filled with magical creatures and technology, but also danger. It is up to Alyssa to defeat the peril and overcome the warlock.
Published October 20th 2018 by S.A. Prasad Publishing (first published August 22nd 2013)

Start your review of The Frights of Fiji (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #1)
Jypsy
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Iread and the author for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

The Frights Of Fiji
Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions: Book 1
By: Sunayna Prasad

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
The Frights Of Fiji is a middle grade story of magic, mischief and mystery. Alyssa, a twelve year old orphan, lives with her uncaring, strict and distant uncle and cousin. Alyssa despairs for the life she had with her loving parents until a car accident took them from her. It's rea
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A spectacular flight of the imagination!

Author Sunayna Prasad weaves a well-crafted coming of age fantasy. The story had every element a good story should have. An interesting and captivating plot, attention to detail, but best of all fleshed out, well-written and well-rounded character development. There’s plenty of imagery in the writing style that makes you feel like you are right there in the story, and that’s something I look for in a good book.

The book description gives a sneak preview: ‘S
James McCormick
The novel starts very well indeed, a young girl under the yoke of domestic tyranny and powerless (at least initially) to liberate herself from an adult authority figure.
One is reminded here of Roald Dahl but in contrast to the late children’s author Sunayana Prasad turns her adult guardian figure into a sympathetic character. Uncle Bruce is obsessive, dominating and controlling but his heart is in the right place and he is also an individual damaged by personal tragedy.
The scene set the magic q
Malinda
Dec 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely liked the premise. There's a very nice blend of wild magical adventure and modern technology. But at the same time, it feels like the writing itself is a little dry. There are a lot of things that are simply just stated and often I found that events were speeding by very fast.
The characters were also pretty unrealistic, especially in their reactions toward magic. However, having a book where the child protagonist doesn't hide the truth about magic from their legal guardian is prett
Sherin
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad is my first book by this author. I don't read a lot of YA / Children's book but nothing like those gems to bring back memories of childhood. So yes, I admit to binging on them every now and then.

Alyssa McCarthy loses her parents at seven and is sent to live with her uncle who's wallowing in his own miseries and doesn't know to care for her right. Just when she thought her main problem was coping with the disastrous turn her life has taken after losing her p
David Scott
Sunayna Prasad clearly has a great imagination. Poor Alyssa, the book's main character, has to go through a great many fantastical ordeals to escape the clutches of the evil Master Beau. Sadly, the writing doesn't hold up to the author's imagination. There is far too much explaining of every magical detail, and Alyssa is never just left to learn things on her own. The extended explanations of magic and technology too, were cute but largely unnecessary and unhelpful in furthering the plot. Sunaya ...more
Katie Beitz
Imaginative, but not believable.

I found reading Alyssa McCarthy’s Magical Missions: Book 1: From Frights to Flaws difficult. The narrative was clunky and the writing style unwieldy.

Alyssa McCarthy is a young girl who has tragically lost both parents. She is living with her cousin and Uncle when she discovers that an evil magician from Fiji wants to kidnap her so that he can rule France? The premise was certainly imaginative, but not very believable.

From this point on, the reader is taken on an
Sue Brooks
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book!!! I would totally recommend it for children 11-13 -- depending on their level of maturity. The book does cover some death and the villain plotting the death of the main character of the book -- thus, it might be a little scary for children under 11. If the reader enjoys fantasy and magic, I would truly recommend this book. It's a quick and fun read!

I was recently asked to read and review this book. Well, I started it last night and it kept sounding so so so familiar. So, I go into
Katrina Roets
Every once in a while, a young adult book crosses my desk and I get excited. I have two teen boys who I would love to get reading more so I consider it an opportunity to find them something they might love. This book, however, isn't it. The book starts out well, but just doesn't hold up. I found the characters to be flat and some of the situations/responses to be odd. For example, Alyssa meets these two people who are suddenly her mentors and she's just like, "oh, okay..." I don't know a single ...more
Cheryl
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first 6 chapters seemed to be repetitive and just a lot of dialect. Which I grew old of quickly. Plus, I could not understand Alyssa need to try to make her uncle understand what was happening was magic. He obviously did not like Alyssa or believed her. So I could not figure out why Alyssa was trying so hard to make her uncle see her point. Chapter seven is when the story started to pick up. This is when Duchamp kidnapped Alyssa and took her to the Fiji Islands. In addition, it was not just ...more
Cindy
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Good potential but too much about phones and food. It got boring after a while and forced myself to finish.
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS ON THIS BOOK

This is my first read from author Sunayna Prasad, and though the fantasy genre is not my usual reads, I enjoyed this one. There is a host of colorful characters that develop well throughtout the story. The main character, Alyssa is more my favorite than the others. I think it is because of the difficulties life has thrown at her, with loosing her parents, as well as her aunt, which brings out a not so good side of her uncle. Forbidding her things she enjoys, being so rude
Lindsay
Well, I found a book to fall into during this strange time. That book is The Frights of Figi, it quite a good book. Once you get into it. This book is about a girl that somehow attracts magic into her life. Why this happens I do not know.

Her name is Alyssa and she lives with her Uncle and cousin. When things start happening, no one believes her. She gets into trouble. Will she get save herself and friends and family. Things get more interesting one she is kidnapped by an evil wizard.

This is good
the-librarian
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Frights of Fiji chronicles the story of Alyssa McCarthy’s unexpected life-changing encounter with magic. Her parents died in an accident several years ago and she has been living with a neglectful uncle and unforgiving babysitter.

One day, while washing dishes, she noticed that the raindrops on the kitchen window were spelling out a message for her letting her know her life was about to change. It turns out magic would somehow enter her life. The adventure takes off from there.

The story and c
Roberta
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m sorry to give such a negative review, but I really didn’t enjoy this book. I’m an adult, rather than of middle grade age, but I have read many MG books and really enjoyed them (Stephanie Burgis, for example).

The language used in this story is really odd, almost as though it has been translated from another language. For example, people were frequently “bending” their eyebrows - both for (presumably) surprise/enquiry and when they might have been frowning.

Emotions are never referenced. The ph
Jessica Bronder
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa lost her parents to a car accident so she lives with her Uncle Bruce and cousin Hailey. But she is having a hard time adjusting. Bruce home schools the girls and is very strict and Alyssa dreams of lazy days like she had with her parents. Through a series of events, Alyssa and Hailey’s babysitter is put under a spell. Alyssa is then kidnapped and taken to Fiji by an evil wizard that plans on killing her. Alyssa is in a race against time to learn how to use her magic to defeat Master Beau ...more
Jessica Bone
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sunayna Prasad is her newest book The Fright's of Fiji her first book in her Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Mission we meet Alyssa McCarthy. Alyssa is currently being raised by her widowed Uncle Bruce along with her younger cousin Hailey. Her uncle had no use for imagination and nonsense and was homeschooling her as to prove that recess and free time were useless in public schooling. Their entire worlds were upended when magic found them and it all started with simple notes and mischief and someone i ...more
Wendy Unsworth
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and quirky story featuring 12 year old Alyssa and her cousin, Hailey. Alyssa is being raised by her Uncle Bruce (Hailey's father). The girls are being homeschooled and Bruce is a very strict parent and guardian.
The magic starts when the girl's babysitter has a spell put on her. Uncle Bruce most definitely does not believe in magic and the girls are blamed.
From this point the magic escalates and eventually Alyssa is transported to Fiji where she must defeat the evil Master Beau and learn
Kristin
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I'd like to thank the author and Promotional Book Tours for allowing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
As an adult, I found this book rather hard to read. The characters were just taking everything so well, and in stride, it made it kind of unbelievable from my point of view. I kept trying to put myself in the position of the adults in the story, and I just couldn't see myself reacting the way they did.
That being said however, once I got past that, took off my jaded glass
Terry Sprouse
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enchanting tale that incorporates all the elements of a great magical YA story – virtuous protagonists, scary antagonists and a strong statement on the power of friendship and loyalty.

The author’s engaging writing style and a well-conceived plot puts this book in the class of other outstanding fantasy books, like the Harry Potter series, with the double (much appreciated) value that they are extremely entertaining for children and an enjoyable read for adults.

There was a lot to like about th
Phaedra Seabolt
This was a little out of my normal reading element. I decided that I would give a YA book a try since I haven't read many for a while, but I only liked the book rather than fell in love with it. It's a cute story about a girl who has had a rather rough life and then is thrown into the world of magic. She never believed magic existed, but the evidence piles up in such a way that she cannot deny the existence. What I was not crazy about was that I felt like every character that Alyssa ran into jus ...more
Simone
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2013
Alyssa McCarthy parents died in a tragic accident five years ago. Since then, she has been raised by her aunt and uncle. After being with them for a few years her Aunt Laura passes away from a reaction to raspberries. Now Uncle Bruce has become a strict guardian to Alyssa and her cousin Hailey. No one believes in magic, especially not her uncle. Will he listen before it's too late? Will the evil wizard Duchamp get his way?

This was a great story about friendship, good versus evil, and love. Alyss
Niki
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa is twelve years l when her parents die in a car accident, she goes to live with an uncle, who is cruel and abuses her. Alyssa decides to run away and search for her guardian, who is working hard to be able to get custody. She discovers magic and soon others are after her too. She wants to safe her city but before she can she is kidnapped.

It is a fun book for kids 12 years and up. Alyssa is a cute character, you just gotta love her. The story goes in a steady pace with lots of magic an (so
 Reading Reindeer
Review: FROM FRIGHT TO FLAWS by Sunayna Prasad [ALYSSA McCARTHY 'S MAGICAL MISSIONS BOOK 1]

Any story that begins as it's reader's hook with "your life will never be the same...because of magic" is bound to be exciting, engrossing, adventuresome. Welcome to FROM FRIGHTS TO FLAWS, first in the ALYSSA MCCARTHY'S MAGICAL MISSIONS. Alyssa is a very special girl; she's lost both parents, then an aunt, and chafes under her uncle's rigid restrictions. Then to find out she is targeted by an Evil Wizard--
Tara Phillips
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mysterious events happen to an articulate and imaginative preteen.

A world of magic and mystic. Grabbed my attention from the very first paragraph. I love reading fiction because I get lost in the narrative and become a character I like. As if I’m living the world inside the book, to me that has outstanding writing when you can totally see yourself in it! Alyssa has my favorite character and one I most identify with, her personality and eagerness to explore delights me.

Alyssa (13 years old)  and
Ella James
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Frights of Fiji (Alyssa McCarthy’s Magical Missions Book 1) by Sunayna Prasad is a wonderful fantasy adventure filled with magic, evil wizardry, enchanting lands, strange creatures and a fast paced, thrilling storyline. Mainly geared toward pre-teens and teens, all ages will enjoy and revel in this must read, 5 star book which is sure to become a bestseller.

Twelve-year-old, Alyssa lives with her Uncle Bruce and his daughter, Hailey. Alyssa’s life is less than easy as her uncle is overly stri
Grady
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Your life will never be the same, Alyssa McCarthy, as magic will interfere.’

New York author Sunayna Prasad makes a warmly radiant debut in children’s literature with this light fantasy FROM FRIGHTS TO FLAWS which by every indication is to be a series of adventures of one Alyssa McCarthy’s Magical Mission. Her affinity for challenging and gently entertaining children’s imagination is readily apparent in this little book – a book that could easily become a classic bedtime story (one chapter a ni
Lauren Jones
When reading this story, the first thing that catches the attention of the reader is the magical elements. If you saw something that shouldn’t be possible, would you be afraid? Would you want to learn more? Prasad has an interesting plot that is centralized for middle grade and young teens.

Alyssa McCarthy becomes wrapped up in a world of magic. She tells everyone that magic is real, but none of the adults believe her when strange things begin to happen. Her uncle’s memory is wiped after a storm
Seraphia
From Frights to Flaws is a children’s fantasy novel about a young girl by the name of Alyssa McCarthy. Alyssa is a 12 year old girl who is living with her Uncle Donald who is highly aloof. Alyssa is tired of his stringent rules and the way that he treats her and his daughter Hailey. Then Alyssa starts getting messages telling her that magic is real and that her life is about to change. Alyssa isn’t prepared for the changes that are about to be quickly happening in her life.
From Frights to Flaws
Seraphia
From Frights to Flaws
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps
  • Killer Deadline (Nikki Bryant)
  • Poseidon's Academy: A Greek Mythology Fantasy Adventure Series (Book 1)
  • The Takeaway Men
  • GenTech: An American Story of Technology, Change and Who We Really Are (1900-present)
  • The Nutcracker Conspiracy (Thorny Rose #4)
  • Girlgoyle (Hollow Mountain Butterfly, #1)
  • A Child Lost (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5)
  • Just Us Kids - Shipwrecked
  • Diary Of a Wickedly Cool Witch: Bullies and Baddies (The Wickedly Cool Witch series, #1)
  • The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne #1)
  • A Goddess Among Men
  • My First Pony (Diary of a Horse Mad Girl #1)
  • Notes to My Son
  • Dogs of Delhi: A photographic journey of must love metropolitan mutts
  • Bury Him: A Memoir of the Viet Nam War
  • The Devil and Dayna Dalton (Bulwark Anthology, #9)
  • A French Girl in New York (The French Girl #1)
Sunayna Prasad has been writing stories for over several years, starting at the age of six. Now in her 20's, she is done with college and will continue to write for children. Aside from that, Sunayna also likes to cook, watch movies, and draw. She lives on Long Island, New York, with her family.

Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions (2 books)
  • A Curse of Mayhem (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #2)