Start by marking “Nova Praetorian” as Want to Read:
Nova Praetorian

Nova Praetorian

** 103,000 word gay historical romance **

Quintus Furius Varus is one of the best lanistas in Rome. Tall and strong in build, fearsome in manner, and sharp of wit, he trains the best gladiators bound for the arenas of Rome. When Senator Servius Augendus seeks personal guards, he attends the Ludus Varus for purchase of the very best. He puts to Quintus an offer he cannot re
Published October 24th 2018 by BlueHeart Press

Start your review of Nova Praetorian
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
As a lover of history, but certainly not its dedicated scholar, I found Nova Praetorian incredibly authentic with a firm grounding in real historical events. Even the dialogue felt suitably "ancient" and formal, despite the characters speaking English (which can be hard to pull off).

N.R. Walker has once again done her research and created a fully realized world where power and greed reign supreme and people can be stolen and owned by those with enough money to keep them.

Quintus and Kaeso take
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio....4 stars
Story.....4 stars

You see that glorious cover? I see a cover like that and I think nonstop thrilling action. I wasn't completely disappointed. There were some thrilling action scenes, but the sweet romance overshadowed them a bit. Enough so that I started to wonder if there would be any action not related to the romance.

I don't want it to sound like I didn't enjoy the story, because I did... mostly. I just would have loved it if it had been grittier.
Martin
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wild story!!

I totally loved this. I am a sucker for gladiator romances in any shape and form.

But this was truly stellar.

It's an amazing romance - a bit sugary sweet like most of N.R. Walker's romances but definitely reaching deep into the characters' souls.
However, it is also a great ancient thriller with a double edged conspiracy, which I totally didn't expect, since I don't read romances for the intricate plots, usually.

description

Quintus Furius Varus (what a name!!) is the most swoonworthy hero
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Re-read: 13.03.2019
I had to re-read this, because at least this one has a somewhat happy ending. Fuck horrible and cruel endings! Yeah, I'm still pissed about my previous read as you can tell.... However, I probably should've have read it so soon. It wasn't all that long ago since I read this one, and I remember quite a lot about it, and it it's not good enough to enjoy a re-read when you remember that much. It was still an okay read, but I got bored at times and distracted. Overall, I still
Sanaa
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars.

“Sometimes hope is all a man can cling to,”

Every time I read a NR Walker book, I'm reminded of how amazing of a writer she is. Nova Praetorian is a historical romance set in the Roman time period. Initially, I wasn't sure since I'm not the biggest historical reader but she slayed it.

I was rooting for Quintus and Kaeso to have their HEA. I'm not going to spoil anything but I was biting my nails throughout, wanting to what was going to happen. Especially during that ending. I ha
~Volha~
I love historical romance, and this book was absolutely fabulous. From gladiators and guards to senators and domini I dived into ancient world of training and fighting, politics and blackmail, passion and love between two men whose life was poised on the edge of a dagger. One thing this book showed wonderfully is the diversity of characters. Side by side we are shown two men with a total opposite attitude towards servitude and slavery. The difference is astounding, and it proves that the old say ...more
Christelle
**3.5 stars**

I’m a known fan of NR Walker : her writing, her characterization, the romance she pours into her story. It works well for me. I don’t mind reading historical and I was curious what NR Walker could deliver with such a setting.

And when I finished the book, there was nothing wrong with it that came to mind : great characters, a profound relationship built between Quintus and Kaesus, a pretty good level of steam, a sense of brotherhood, some nice reflexions about slavery and freedom, a
*TANYA*
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2019
Well men...and women, lol, this was FANTASTIC!!! I read this in one sitting, I literally could not stop. I don’t know how NR Walker does it, each one of her books is so unique and different and enthralling!!! I loved this story, think awesome like Gladiator, 300, or Spartacus, yup it was that great!!
haletostilinski
4.5 stars rounded up

Whew, this took me 6 days to finish, but it was marvelous! I think part of it was just life getting in the way, but another part of it was this just felt slow, plot wise.

I loved Quintus and Kaeso from the beginning, they were interesting, engaging characters and their romance was just *happy sigh* amazing, and their chemistry lit up the pages for me.

It was more the plot that made this slow going for me for a long while in this book. It was setting up a LOT of stuff and a lot
Santy
This was my first N.R. Walker in like ... 2 years I think? I really do not remember how I stopped reading her books because I remember really liking her writing and with my ladies in the TPAM group adoring her, it’s more of a mystery that I’d not read her work in so long( her books are all over my favorite threads! Lol) . Nonetheless, I guess all I’m saying I’m back on the “wagon” so to speak.

These type of books put the history in “historical romance ” because it wasn’t about the usual dukes an
Daesy
**grm** **SPOILERS DOWN**

From the first pages, I was sure this book would be a 5 stars to me. There is just a specific kind of feeling someone feels when a story is touching the right part of their soul and this one, this story, was one of them.

-------

{“You have the eyes of a rabbit. Big and brown, seeing everything, on keen alert for danger. That might serve you well in your old life, but here it leaves you vulnerable. I can read your intent.”}

------

{“Fear not. I will not ask for something not
Jewel
4.5 Stars

LOVED

--------------------------------
Thank you Secret Santa!!! <3
Funzee Shu

description

“You took a slave, and you gave him purpose when he had none. You gave him trust and honour when he had none. You gave him reason to live when he had none. I would be yours for all time, Quintus. My loyalty does not lie with Rome. Nor would you find it in Iberia. My loyalty is to you. Do not doubt where my heart is.” – Kaeso.

“As mine is with you. I vow it, no god or mortal man will take you from my arms. I will rip the life from any man who dares attempt to part us. I will find you in the ne
Mia Sciberras
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was very lucky to beta read Nova Praetorian. I absolutely could not put it down.

A recommended read!
Barb ~rede-2-read~
*4.5 stars*

As the blurb states, Quintus Furius Varus is one of the best lanistas in Rome. “Tall and strong in build, fearsome in manner, and sharp of wit, he trains the best gladiators bound for the arenas of Rome.” So when Senator Servius Augendus seeks personal guards, he comes to Quintus with an offer he literally cannot refuse, and Quintus ends up in Neapolis, contracted as a trainer of guards, and head of the guards assigned to protect Servius. The only good thing to Quintus is the contract
Lelyana

* ARC generously provided by the author.*

...This book has a movie material I'll be happy to watch! I even clapped my hands when things got better after the crazy chaos!

Setting in Roman era, where people thirst of blood and power (something like 'today's world'), Quintus and Kaeso sealed their fate together.
It was painful how Quintus must obeyed everything Servius demand, especially when it actually against his will and his moral.
But then, things got bearable after the Iberian slave,
Joyfully Jay
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

I am a huge N.R. Walker fan and will read just about anything she writes, so I was thrilled to see her latest book release. I’ll admit, I don’t read much in the way of Roman historicals so I was a little bit wary about this one, but Walker has never let me down and so I jumped right in. I have to say that Nova Praetorian was a fabulous combination of well-developed historical and beautiful romance, with a sprinkling of suspense to really keep things exciting.

Firs
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Review first appeared on The Bent Bookworm!*~

Disclaimer: this was my first ever m/m romance read. I'm not a romance devotee, by any means, so perhaps it should not have been a surprise that I found aspects of this novel grating.

2.5/5 stars. Rounded to 3 because it redeemed itself slightly with a sweet ending.

Characters

I liked both the MCs, Quintus and Kaeso, from the start. For different reasons, as their personalities and backgrounds are QUITE different (backgrounds more so than the per
Bookreader87(Amanda)
K💜Q

The positive: When it comes to romance this author never fails. The relationship between Quintus and Kaeso was entertaining to read.

At first, Kaeso is skeptical of Quintus as any slave is to their master. However, the more time spent with Quintus the more he learns of the man with the kind heart.

Well the romance blossoms decit grows around them.

The Negative: The book did seem to drag and I lost interest a few times but it does eventually pick back up again.

Overall a decent read.
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
I don't do historical books often, but I love the author so I gave it a try and I am glad I did!
I liked the story and sure as hell the author did her historical researches.
The only thing that was a little hard at the beginning was that the characters are speaking English - it felt a little weird at first.
I recommend this book!
Bev
OK, enough of this one at 21%. It's another 'me not you' read. Just as Nic's Cronin series didn't work for me, the same is happening here. Not enjoying it, it's really slow-going and I'm just not into it, so back to Amazon with you...I've got far too many other things waiting to be read to waste time on an average [to me] story, although I've no doubt others will love it. Not rated.
BR11
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars.
A solid book by Walker, as all of hers are. It was entertaining and original and I enjoyed the story. There was steam, but mild and a little repetitive and somewhat boring. After her last books, I was expecting a little bit more on this regards.
Overall, a good, recommendable read.
Claude
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
PERFECT

Manfred
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love N R Walker and I love (ancient) Rome, so I was quite sure this would be a perfect book for me. Still I hesitated a long time before starting it, especially because of its length. I am really glad, that finally I decided to start it and as expected, it did not disappoint.
Quintus is a lanista, head of a school for gladiators and he is forced to play guard for Severius, a Roman senator who seeks office and is afraid this might endanger his life.
So Quintus trains his own gladiators and Sever
Susan65
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Star review by The Blogger Girls

I loved this book. I was concerned at first that the ancient Roman terminology would be too much, and throw me out of the story, but it never happened. If anything, I learned quite a bit and am now ready for my turn on Jeopardy. Alex, I will take Gladiators for $1000, please. Seriously, this is so well written that I was instantly transported to a time and place that we can not truly imagine, nor consider the blood-ripened landscape as a place for love and rom
Andrea M
Jan 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Thank frick it’s finally over!! It’s been a while since I was this relieved to be done with a book. I just felt so bored while reading this book and it wasn’t until the last 15ish% that things got a little better.
Tess
“Aeternum.”
Annika
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook review

I was a bit hesitant to pick up Nova Praetorian when it was first released. I mean I love a good historical romance when I’m in the mood for it, but we’re talking the Victorian era, or maybe a western or two – not the Roman era with gladiators, emperors and slaves. Then again it was a N.R. Walker book. I was torn, I’m not going to lie to you, was undecided for a long time. Then, the audio was released and I was asked if I’d be willing to review it. So I decided to go for it – fo
THE GOTH CRITIC
A BIG POTENTIAL GONE TO WASTE!

First review 01/28/2019:
I really thought that I'd love this novel, but, finally, I really don't. As much as I liked the historical scope and the research effort, I think that the characters themselves aren't on point: their personalities lack depth and their interactions are hardly touching. The author focused on the historical aspect--what's good as it's a historical fiction--but the romantic side is a little bit--if not too much--rushed.

And I don't understand tha
Lois
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blood, sweat and treachery.

4.5 stars. A very different story from N.R. Walker's hand. There verse drama, blood and Vulcan volcanoes. I will not judge the book for historical accuracies, but the Roman culture was rendered somewhat authentic. At least it was authentic enough to embellish and advance the story. I liked the two main characters. They were very honorable and clean cut. In another author's lesser hand, they could have been boring. But they complemented each other nicely. They here swe
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • Milo (Finding Home, #2)
  • The Husband Gambit
  • Fired Up (Fever Falls, #1)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Christmas Homecoming (The Christmas Angel #4)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Christmas Prince
  • The Truth Within (Pelican Bay #3)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • The Gladiator's Master
  • Deadly Lover (Exit Strategy #1)
  • Spring Strings
  • His Consort (House of Maedoc, #1)
  • Forever Moore
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Any Given Lifetime
Author also writes as A. Voyeur

N.R. Walker is an Australian author, who loves her genre of gay romance. She loves writing and spends far too much time doing it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

She is many things; a mother, a wife, a sister, a writer. She has pretty, pretty boys who she gives them life with words.

She likes it when they do dirty, dirty things...but likes it even more when they fa