Start by marking “A Question of Hats (Angela Marchmont Mystery, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
A Question of Hats (Angela Marchmont Mystery, #5.5)

A Question of Hats

(Angela Marchmont Mystery #5.5)

When a mysterious parcel containing a hat is delivered by mistake to Angela Marchmont she thinks little of it, except to note that she wouldn’t be seen dead in the thing. But if she doesn’t want it, there are plenty of other people who do—and who are prepared to take it from her by force if necessary. It soon turns out there’s more than just a hat at stake, and now it’s up ...more
Published October 23rd 2018 by Mount Street Press

To ask other readers questions about A Question of Hats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Question of Hats

Start your review of A Question of Hats (Angela Marchmont Mystery, #5.5)
Terri
Angela receives a strange delivery of a hat she finds revolting. She tries to return the hat to the correct recipient and is turned away. Then someone is trying to steal it from her and she investigates why. A nice, short satisfying story.
ShanDizzy
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Witty

This was another great AM short story with Marthe displaying her oh so French fashion sense. Her reaction to the 1st hat is laugh out loud hilarious!
Robin
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
"I stumbled upon the Angela Marchmont series and The Murder at Sissingham Hall (first book in the series) several years ago looking for Golden Age detective fiction. I'm usually very skeptical of self-published books, but the description appealed to me, so I gave it a try. I'm glad I did as I was immediately hooked. Ms. Benson has a gift for writing historical mysteries - I feel as though I'm reading a book written in the 20's, but the writing does not seem stale as some books written back then ...more
agatha
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Well, it was short, I'll give it that.

This is my first experience with Angela Marchmont and frankly, not one that makes me want to know her better. The characters came off as quite bland to me with a lot of repetition of the same not particularly important or interesting information (I'm not sure how many times in one short story I need it reiterated that the lady's maid has a 'thing' about Angela's clothing and clothing in general, for example), and really, really, extraordinarily stupid in the
Susan
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Due to a misdirected parcel, Angela Marchmont stumbles over a rather bumbling plot involving an escaped prisoner. The story hearkens back to a classic style in which mystery plots were a sort of game between author and reader, designed to provide an entertaining diversion with a minimum of violence.
Pauline Ross
Ah, Angela! Clara Benson’s fans will all be thrilled by this charming novella featuring 1920s amateur sleuth Angela Marchmont, this time with a starring role for her French lady’s maid, Marthe. A very enjoyable read. Four stars.
Sherry Cross
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast and fun

This little short story fits in between two other adventures of Angela Marchbank, one taking place in Scotland, the other in Italy. In this, Angela solves a problem with hats and uncovers gold buillion in the process. A fun and quick read.
cheryl
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another neat and contentment guaranteed adventure

Love these Angels Marchmont books.A heroine who is believable and constant.This doesn't disappoint,except these are more novellas and wish it had been longer
Sharon
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed it

I've read all of the Angela Marchmont series and this didn't disappoint. Well written, great characters, complete storyline. A nice little mystery to while away an hour or two.
Susan
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
1928, February. When a hat is wrongly delivered to her Angela Marchmont she attempts to give it to the correct person, but they do not want it. Unfortunately several other people do, but Angela is unable to determine why, at first.
An enjoyable and well-written little mystery
Heatherinblack
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
quick and cute

and plausible. she is a woman that sticks her nose in dangerous places, but, she uses the brawn she has with her to get things done. i appreciate mrs marchmont and her curious ways.
Dorothy
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Grand portrayal of robbery gone wrong

This was a perfect way to spend a cold quiet New Year's Eve, snuggled under the comforter with an Angela Larchmont short story. Easy to read effortless story story with the usual cast of characters who take care of Angela.
Brad
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liked it

Found it easy to read and a good little mystery, I would rather it be a little longer. A very very good little mystery
Cathy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
There was no reason for this short story. Angela solved a minor crime with her ladies maid and chauffeur but it was very unsatisfying.
vicki holderread
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love these books

I really like the main character. It’s fun to read historical, easy reading mysteries. Wish there were more in this series
Elisa
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series. I'd love a new full-length novel, but I'll take an Angela Marchmont short story any day of the week.
Cathy Anne
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angela Marchmount

This was a short story and it was very good. I love all the characters and how they manage to solve the mystery of something is awesome.
Maureen Hetzel
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
The characters as always are delightful. But with the shorter story the arc is necessarily simpler and easier to untangle. Angela Marchmont is STILL a favorite!
Jill
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clara-benson
A small interlude in the Angela Marchmont series . In its very few pages, it does contain a certain amount of humour, making it very like an old-fashioned farce. Entertaining.
Jacqueline Meyer
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read - only about 80 pages!
Margot M. Gregory
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite fun

Enjoyed this short story. I like reading about Angela’s adventures. I would recommend this and all other Angela Marchmont mysteries for teens and adults.
C-shaw
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good little short story, a great introduction to the Angela Marchmont mysteries.
Judith Somerset
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love Angela Marchmont!

I love this series. Well written, and because I have read them all, including Freddy's books, I was happy to see this short story!
JK
John Diffley
Jan 22, 2019
Carolyn H. Hopkins
Oct 31, 2018

• Murder on Skiathos (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 8)
  • A Taste of Murder (Bunburry #3)
  • A Murderous Ride (Bunburry #2)
  • House Party Murder Rap (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 1)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • The Saltwater Murder (Posie Parker Mystery #7)
  • Murder at the Masquerade Ball (Rose Simpson Mysteries #9)
  • Murder in High Places (Bunburry #6)
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A Country House Christmas Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
  • A Subtle Murder (Rose Beckingham, #1)
  • Murder Among the Roses (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #5)
  • Mydworth Mysteries - A Little Night Murder (A Cosy Historical Mystery Series Book 2)
  • A Merry Little Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #4)
  • Murder at the Mousetrap (Bunburry #1)
  • Obsidian Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #8)
  • A Picture of Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #4)
  • Murder Aboard the Flying Scotsman (Ginger Gold Mystery #8)
  • Murder in the Shallows (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #6)
Clara Benson is the author of the Angela Marchmont Mysteries and Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures - traditional English whodunits in authentic style set in the 1920s and 30s. One day she would like to drink cocktails and solve mysteries in a sequinned dress and evening gloves. In the meantime she lives in the north of England with her family and doesn't do any of those things.

If you want to be

Angela Marchmont Mystery (10 books)
  • The Murder at Sissingham Hall
  • The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
  • The Treasure at Poldarrow Point  (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)
  • The Riddle at Gipsy's Mile (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 4)
  • The Incident at Fives Castle (Angela Marchmont Mystery #5)
  • The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)
  • The Problem at Two Tithes (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #7)
  • The Trouble at Wakeley Court (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)
  • The Scandal at 23 Mount Street (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #9)
  • The Shadow at Greystone Chase (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 10)