Start by marking “The Girl on the Burning Boat” as Want to Read:

The Girl on the Burning Boat

Someone put her father in his grave. But they didn’t bury his secrets…

Alice is the smart and beautiful daughter of a powerful businessman. She lives a charmed life - until her father is killed in a tragic accident.

Then she meets Jamie, a young man from a very different background, who has evidence that her father met a much darker end.

Together they embark upon a search

Published October 23rd 2018 by Old Map Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girl on the Burning Boat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl on the Burning Boat

Sharon Garde
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointed - my least favourite of Gregg’s books - and I’ve read all of them. Much too slow to get going and unnecessary diversions into romance along the way. Still too many typos and just poor sentence construction; comma splices everywhere. I did finish it though and won’t be put off reading his next book.
Carmachristensen
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book had the potential to be a good read. The writing was well done. The plot, however, collapsed about 3/4 of the way through. The skillful suspense writer continually sets the stage for the resolution of the plot, so the reader feels satisfied at the culmination of the book. This plot line was disappointing--the writer says in his notes that he was trying for a certain effect, but even he admits there is a good chance he failed. After the plot twist at the end of the book, the rest of the ...more
Page Turner
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! This book kept me guessing until the last page! All along the main character seems to be solving crimes, but a twist happens near the end that changes everything. A good read.
Lesley Biffen
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
The twist at the end is really good and quite unexpected however it takes a long time to get into the action of the novel.
Elsa Hoffmann
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Gregg Dunett's work very much. This book is no different and it was like watching a movie with extreme anticipation. You know something is not adding up but he hides who and what so well, you can't figure it out quickly.

This is, like The Wave at Hanging Rock, a psychological thriller and if you don't enjoy the genre you won't get the story here.

I found it fascinating because a sociopath hides him or herself very well. There are sociopaths among us, most of them are highly functional and
jp
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read all of this authors books to date and in general enjoyed them. This book was different in some respects but for me was just as enjoyable. I don't think anything I write will spoil the readers enjoyment, I hope not! Early in the book you are told that Jamie dies within a specific time frame, 3 months, and I kept hold of that as I read the book and it certainty affected how I viewed the characters and what I hoped for as an outcome bearing that fact in mind. But this is fiction so anyt ...more
Sherran Pitre
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was left with a sense of unanswered questions. I did enjoy the suspense and as the author intended was continuously rethinking the plot as I read along but it did begin to flag as the end neared. I read the author's thought on his intent and can see what he was trying for and agree with his conclusion that he didn't quite get there. However even so I was left with the burning question of why? I wanted to know why the character was doing these things.
Keith
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Story

I wouldn’t necessarily say that it was a psychological thriller but a good thriller all the same. I was kept guessing how the prologue fitted in with the rest of the story but after a while, I got it. Fairly slow start but do persevere with it because around half way through, it seriously kicks off and then keeps going to the end, with an unexpected turn of events near the finish.
Karla Gibson
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
And the Captain said to me:
‘We’re going this way, that way,
Forwards backwards.....
Those who suffered the Wiggles may recall that rhyme......those who read Gregg Dunnett understand it........also, apt so...
Again, misled and constant reshuffling of the suspect list. Thank Gawd for days off, only reason I put it down last night was because I knew I'd be able to finish today.
Another good'un, thanks again for the journey.
Richard Burke
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Gregg Dunnett's since reading The Wave at Hanging Rock for free.
This is another excellent read that will keep you riveted from start to end.
The twist, when it came, caught me so unawares I had to read the page again to make sure I hadn't misinterpreted the words.
If you like a book with a twist, you will enjoy this.
Anita Quelle
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Girl on the Burning Boat "Spoiler Alert"

One if my least favorites of Gregg Dunnett's. From the very beginning, I knew he was a con. His imagination and reasonings were ridiculous and unbelievable. I did not care much for the book but that's just my opinion. I'm still a fan of the Author.
Susan M
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put it down!

I’m not sure exactly why I loved this story from the beginning. Perhaps it was Jaime’s infatuation with Alice. Or Alice’s carefree vulnerability. Or the mysterious dead Charlie. But whatever drew me in, the unexpected twist had me up way too late! A great read. Looking forward to more from this author.
Donald
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I downloaded this novel on Amazon when it was being given away last Sunday and I was impressed with the quality of the writing. The plot was very interesting and twisting even though it was somewhat farfetched in spots. I was a bit surprised to find quite a number of proofreading goofs such as missing words. Despite those minor flaws, I highly recommend the book.
Monte Hickman
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good and entertaining read.

I found this book a little bit slow in places, but Mr Dunnett does make his characters rich and interesting. I did not enjoy this book as much as a couple others from Gregg Dunnett such a Wave at Hanging Rock, but a fairly decent read. I felt this one just lacked suspense in places.
Elaine Shaw
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BEST MYSTERY EVER

Excellent, excellent, excellent. The best mystery that I have read in a long time. Usually I know who did it by half way thru the book, This time I was not sure until the last page. The characters were all so believable. Looking forward to reading more books by this author
Dave Bate
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do enjoy reading Gregg's novels, this certainly has been added to the enjoyment pile. A very interesting storyline, easy and absorbing reading. Slightly disappointed with what I thought was a rushed ending but the build up is superb. Thanks also to Gregg's comment at the end of the book, very enlightening, all about misdirection and all for nothing, excellent stuff.
joanna wiggans
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good

It's hard to write this without giving spoilers but I couldn't stop reading. The storyline is gripping and exciting.
I've read all greggs books and it is as satisfying a read as the others
S L OFARRELL
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best Yet

I have enjoyed all the books by this author but found this one particularly gripping. I found the storyline intriguing with convincing characters. I am a big fan of this genre and this book ticked all boxes.
shelly spurling
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read. Worth waiting for

Love this author. Every book is different and unputdownable (that's surely not a word!lol) my favourite books to have read in the last few years. Really enjoyed them glad there is more to come.
Thebrit
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another hit....

I have read all of Gregg's books and have enjoyed them all. This was as good as all of his other books, exciting with lots of twists and turns. Can't wait for the next one. Please keep them coming!
Phyllis
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good interesting story . Sure didn't turn out like I thought it would,
Young girl loses her father in a boating accident. Doubt about it being an accident comes up when she meets a guy who she kind of falls for.
Bea
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm rating this with psychological thrillers. What a fun read! It could be that I just like this author. Especially "The Wave At Hanging Rock". This is a pretty quick read and is just for pure entertainment. It keeps you guessing about who is the good guy and who is the bad guy.
Mary Kendrick
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Girl on the Burning Boat

A page-turner...good writing style. A creative plot, where the readers are as deceived as the characters in the novel. Will read another of Greg’s novels.
Eherta
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling read

I chose this rating because it kept me wanting to read more pages. I kind of realised that the guy wasn't what he seemed but it took me quite a while before I realised
Janet
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read in one sitting

As psychological thrillers go, I found this book interesting. Author Dunnett made his stereotypical characters interesting and I didn't guess the twist until Alice and Jamie were in Peter's house. Worth the read.
Lins
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty well fooled

Well Gregg you certainly fooled me and I'm usually pretty good at working out who dunnett, excuse the pun! I loved it and read it in a day, I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended and when's the next one out please?
Wendy
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Ipsita Banerjee
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Convincing

True about the stereotypes, but they are believable stereotypes. The book kept me hooked. Had to finish it in one sitting!
Kim Albert
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth it!

Excellent read, highly recommended!!! A real page Turner. I was pulled in right from three beginning! Many twists and turns
Sandra Burns
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read!

This had so many different plots and characters. The rich people, having their kitchen remodeled. A flash drive found, murders and questions. I loved this.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Gregg Dunnett worked as Staff Writer and Photographer for the windsurfing magazine Boards for nearly ten years. He was sent around the world testing equipment and reporting on competitions and locations. Eventually Boards went bust, which wasn't entirely his fault, and he turned to writing novels instead. His first to be released is The Wave at Hanging Rock.

He lives on the UK’s south coast with hi