Start by marking “In the Lion's Den” as Want to Read:
In the Lion's Den

In the Lion's Den

Danial “Nial” Rourke is the oldest son of a criminal shifter family, but wants nothing to do with the family business. As a rare pureblood shifter with no abilities, he's treated as human and is able to live a relatively normal life. One night out with his brother to celebrate his graduation changes everything. Now, Nial is a convicted murderer and his pureblood status ...more
Published October 24th 2018

To ask other readers questions about In the Lion's Den, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Lion's Den

Start your review of In the Lion's Den
JenMcJ
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good first book but it could have been a lot more. If you're going to do a world with so much discrimination and hatred and put them in a prison, it just seems like the book should be grittier and not gloss over how horrible that would really be. All of this book, for the set up and the plot was just too easy.
Steph ☀️
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Needs more detail.....

This story does have potential. Due to the type of genre, PNR, I expected a bit more world building here. I am still trying to wrap my head around a few things, like the Syndicate. Why and how they were formed and what is their overall goal would have been nice. The way the book reads and somewhat ends, I assume this is slated to be a series. If not, then this book really does have a lot of holes.
Kendra T
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-review, mm, fantasy, magic
I really enjoy Abigail’s storytelling. The world building was really cool, even though there was way to much hatred and evil. Niall is set up and convicted of nursed and sent to prison. While there he meets Ze who is his protector. There are shifted and magic and powers that come into play. It was really cool, and I am really looking forward to more in this series.

I am voluntarily reviewing an ARC provided by LesCourt Author Services
Sabrina
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
JoAnn
Maybe a high 2 star??

While this read kept me entertained enough to continue, and also got me a little teary eyed with some hurt feeling... it really felt like it was missing a whole lot.

Things just felt really glossed over most of the time. The murder? Not really solved... The world building? We got teasers that promised we’d understand later, but when later came no additional information was provided. I really just felt like I was on the outside looking in for a majority of this book, and I
Claudia
When Nial is condemned to shifter prison, he knows the only way to survive is if he has a protector. Nial's father get Ze to protect Nial... and ther sparks fly between them. I hope this is the first book in a series, because I need to know more about all the teammates - loved it
Kyla
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-arc
I felt it was too short and for that reason we did not get to know the characters really well, especially Ze whose perspective we did not get until more than half way through the book. I think this would have worked really well as a two or three book story where the author would have had more time to show the characters growing closer in less plot driven scenes.
♡❀✦☞ Sammy ☜✦❀♡
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
2.5 Stars!
Amy
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own-them
Wow, I absolutely loved this book! Nial and Ze are soooo perfect, I just want to give them the biggest hug. Their friends are also amazing and I really want to see all of their stories. I can’t wait to read more about this new and interesting world! I need more, lots more!!!
Katherine
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A prison story but maybe more

A fascinating new series off to a good start with only a few hiccups along the way!

This series is set in a world where shifters exist and revealed themselves to humans. The result has not gone well for shifters, with them being treated as second class citizens at best and little more than animals themselves at worst. This is an interesting world, but it could use a bit more development. Small bits of information were given but not the whole story. Such as, how long
Megan
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Being handed a conviction for a crime he can't remember committing, Danial is sent to a shifter prison with the worst of the worst and his only hope of survival is a lion shifter who appears to care for him about as much as he does an errant fly or gnat. But appearances are not all they seem and there's a plot that might either save or doom Nial and the tentative relationship he and the secretive yet passionate Ze are forging within the depraved walls of Starke Penitentiary.

I was both confused
Xanthe
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic start to a new series! I'm really looking forward to what's in store for this great mix of characters.
I'm not one that tends to read books involving prison but I love Abigail's writing so of course I was going to give it a go and I'm so pleased I did! We have a mix of paranormal creatures and a different way in which they are treated by humans. Nial's introduction to the prison system is quick and harsh but we a brought right along with him as Abigail's descriptions and thoughts
ellymate
Okay, so this book like many others have said, had a big potential. Like a very good potential for the plot to develop into something greater and better laid down.

The beginning of it is totally captivating and there are some crucial points which were a nice touch to the story but never elaborated more, for this to become something more than a pretty-good-romantic-mm-story. If the investigation part and the twists of the plot had been more elaborated, this would have been a great shifter book.

So
Badh
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a 4.5 star for me.

Abigail Kade is a new author to me, but I will definitely be watching for her and reading her books because this one really grabbed my attention and kept me involved in the story the whole time.

Danial lives in a province that hates shifters and refuses to give shifters a chance. Even though he's a non-shifting shifter, he gets treated the same way as all shifters. So when he gets arrested for a heinous crime, he gets shafted and immediately gets sent to a terrible
Angie
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unique shifter romance-prison protection leads to LOVE!!!

4 stars!

*I received an ARC and voluntarily reviewed this book*

This book was incredibly unique. It has a prison theme and inmates finding love. There was a bunch of twists and turns which really prolonged the mystery.

This book follows Nial who is wrongly imprisoned. He is an innocent fish in an ocean of criminals and needs protection. Enter Ze. He is Nial's mysterious protection but dangers are everywhere. They find themselves in a fated
T
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved In The Lion's Den! I've always been a big fan of paranormal and shifter books but this had a couple of twists that made it fresh and exciting to read. For starters, having the setting be a prison was really unusual and added an element of fear and trepidation to the storyline that was fantastic! From the very first page my heart was racing and my stomach nervous with fear for Nial and what he would go through. The author did a fantastic job of making me feel what Nial was feeling and ...more
Brandy Lucero
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this from LesCourt Author Services. This is my honest opinion and review.

In the Lion's Den was an incredibly unique book. It has a prison theme and inmates finding love while in prison. There was a bunch of twists and turns which really prolonged the mystery.

This book follows Nial who is wrongly imprisoned and he is an innocent fish in an ocean of criminals and needs protection and enter Ze who is Nial's mysterious protection, but dangers are everywhere and they find
Maxine Livingstone
An alright read but the story felt rushed. We're reading a story that is very prejudice and hateful towards supernatural creatures that wasn't very much explored in this book. Then we have an organization called the Syndicate that was mentioned but wasn't given to much attention to. This story could have been longer. While there was explanations about the Syndicate and what they do there was no real reason of the hatred and prejudice that the Supernaturals face on a daily basis by the humans. ...more
Phoenix13
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome start to new and intriguing series!

I enjoyed this book a lot. I generally love shifter stories, and I really liked that this has not just shifters-including different species-but also mages, fae, vamps. Yes, the shifters were a main focus but the door is definitely open for all kinds of shenanigans (sexy or otherwise!) with different paranormals in future books. All the characters both main and secondary were interesting and I want to see more of them.

I thought the premise of the
mrs sarah frost
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the lions den
Promising new doctor Nial ends up in the wrong side of the law after being accused of murdering his neighbour. Being a non shifter born to shifters he has to fight for his life in prison.This is where he meets Ze. Ze will be his protector on the inside, which has been set up by Nials father. But being under Ze's protection means Nial must be ready for everything Ze needs and desires. He's happy to play along for his safety.
This is a great start to what can be an amazing series.
Bübü
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Georgiana
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, reviewed
“Ze stole my breath and then gave his own for me to live.”

I liked the idea of the story and how there where several different types of shifters and magic characters. What bothered me was there was a lot missing, and every time there was twist it was set-up in an obvious way taking the surprise away.

There was just enough information and action to keep me wanting more, plus the few intimate moments were hot. I would still like to read more from this author as I enjoyed the writing style, just
Danielle
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phew, that was hot and intriguing

The story line had my attention from page one. I'm hoping there's a book 2, 3, 4, 5 even a 6. I want to see the other characters become MCs. Ze and Nial meet under unfortunate and manipulative circumstances, but a bond is a bond. I like the fact that Nial is a non-shifting shifter and isn't shunned, and you got to experience the attraction between Ze and Nial before they even met.
Dixiecowgirl
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of action with so many twists and turns in the story-line that kept me reading. The suspense of the plot made the story so much better. I really enjoyed the world-building and character development.

Nial and Ze's have an awesome connection and you could feel the love in their relationship. I so enjoyed the entire cast of character's that brought this story to life. We choose our true family.
Loveofadove
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great!

I need the second book now, this was a great read. There was a lot of angst and unpredictability which I love in a book. It kept me guessing but also taught me suspicion lol it's a fun book with great character building. I love the world Kade created and I can't wait to go back.
jennifer Jensen
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Engrossing story

I thought this book would be on the darker side because of the synopsis but I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. There was plenty of strong emotions in the book, both happiness and sorrow and it was hard to put down.
As and Nail were perfect for each other even though both of them had secrets they could not share.
I hope there are more books to follow.
Esther
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
*spoilers*

I liked the world building, although it could have been a little more elaborate. I like that it has shifters as well as vampires, fae and magic.
I missed Ze’s POV in the beginning, therefore we didn’t get to know him very well.
Nial’s brother was the bad guy but he is virtually non-existing in the story.
All in all a decent story that has me curious about the next one!
Stephanie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This the first book I read by Abigail Kade and it definitely will not be the last. I love this different take on shifters that is nice to see. I love the relationship of Nial and Ze. This is such an emotional story with twist and turns that made me not want to put down this book. I can't wait for more!
Alex Alden
Dec 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
The writing is clunky and unnatural. The whole story feels very forced and is over-explained, exposition being force fed to the reader to make sure the reader knows *everything* the author wants you to know. Blatant case of telling, not showing. The author had a sketch out of where she wanted the story to go, and forced the story to conform rather than letting anything flow naturally.

• Shifting Shadows (Metal and Magic, #1)
  • Elemental Magick (The Donovan Coven #1)
  • More Than Blood (Blood #1)
  • Forbidden (Siren Cove #1)
  • Fractured Truth (Consequences of a Sin, #1)
  • Hell on Earth (Hellhound Champions, #1)
  • Their Bounty (Four Mercenaries, #1)
  • The Vampire's Omega (The Vampire's Omega, #1)
  • Lightbearer
  • Frostbite (The Gifted Ones #1)
  • In the Name of the Father
  • Chasing Fate (Copper Creek Shifters #1)
  • From These Ashes (Haven Hart Universe #4)
  • Bond (Forbidden Desires, #2)
  • Above and Beyond (Twist of Fate #4)
  • Night's Fall (Mystic Bay #1)
  • Puppet/Master (The Vale Chronicles, #1)
  • Wolf Lost (The Wolves of Kismet #1)
Abigail Kade lives on the Gulf Coast of Alabama with her husband, two children, two cats and one dog. She absolutely believes in true love because she married her high school sweetheart. She saw him at a party, picked him up and they were married five years later. They're still married, and he supports her writing about all things men and love, even if he doesn't understand half of the terms she ...more